PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback Golson gains Steelers' confidence

hawaiiansteeler
03-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Cornerback Golson gains Steelers' confidence

Mark Kaboly | Monday, March 21, 2016

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=LWd_5 0bwEBapfcUiwkip_8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuuU663$$75p9Q ujgjmsr6JWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

BOCA RATON, Fla. – So, who is going to start opposite William Gay at cornerback for the Steelers this year?

That answer is still months away from being definitive, but hearing Mike Tomlin on Monday at the Boca Raton Resort and Club during the NFL's annual meeting, it's difficult not to come to the conclusion that Senquez Golson is at the front of that list in Tomlin's eyes.

On the flip side, the team's highest-paid cornerback — Cortez Allen — is way down on that list.

Tomlin threw support toward Golson as being able to quickly clear up the Steelers' murky cornerback situation. At the same time Tomlin didn't hand out a ringing endorsement of Allen as not only being able to reclaim his starting position but even make it through spring practices.

“We are excited about getting Senquez Golson back in the mix,” Tomlin said. “I think oftentimes he is forgotten about. We were excited about him a year ago when we drafted him. I still share that same level of excitement. I can't wait to get him on the grass.”

The Steelers used a second-round pick on Golson last year to try to stabilize a position of weakness. However, Golson injured his shoulder near the end of the spring practices and was put on injured reserve during training camp. He had surgery not long after that and didn't play one preseason snap, but Tomlin continued to show confidence in Golson.

Following the season, Tomlin said he viewed Golson as a second-year player even though he never played as a rookie, insinuating he believed Golson would be ready for significant playing time this year.

By the way of actions in free agency, that well may be the plan.

The Steelers haven't addressed their biggest weakness from last year other than re-signing William Gay and Ross Cockrell. Brandon Boykin is a free agent, Antwon Blake signed with the Titans and Doran Grant played one defensive snap as a rookie last year.

Tomlin hinted the Steelers won't sign a free agent cornerback but will likely target the position on the first two days of the draft. Relying on a rookie to jump into a prominent role is something the Steelers rarely ask a player to do.

One thing is for sure, Tomlin isn't going to rely on Allen even though the Steelers gave him nearly $25 million the day before the season started two years ago.

Tomlin said after the season that he wasn't confident Allen could become a contributor and didn't back down on that statement Monday.

“Not at all,” Tomlin said. “It hasn't.”

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10183931-74/tomlin-allen-steelers

polamalubeast
03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
I have a very good feeling about Golson.I not think that Golson will be a star, but I think he will be a very good slot CB which is very useful against teams like the pats.

teegre
03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
If he is better than Blake, then the secondary is already improved.

Add a SS (or, FS), and the secondary is vastly improved.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 07:23 PM
I have a good feeling about him as well, I do think he will be a star. And it's about time we had one at CB again.

BlackAndGold
03-21-2016, 08:28 PM
I remember Mayock telling everyone that Golson was "one of the best pure zone corners he's ever seen" when he was drafted.

I'm extremely high on this guy. Imo, He definitely has pro bowl potential.

SteelerFanInStl
03-21-2016, 09:27 PM

Yes, improved but still lacking that #1 CB.

Psycho Ward 86
03-22-2016, 01:03 AM
Golson can be the best slot corner in the league and still be a bust if he doesnt figure out how to be pretty good on the outside too. What a boon for the defense itll be if Golson plays well right away, along with our inevitable CB draft pick

pczach
03-22-2016, 06:23 AM
I remember Mayock telling everyone that Golson was "one of the best pure zone corners he's ever seen" when he was drafted.

I'm extremely high on this guy. Imo, He definitely has pro bowl potential.

Maybe, but this is a team that outplayed the Super Bowl champions on the road with half the team out injured last year. If the defense just improves, they will be in a position to contend for the championship themselves next year. At the end of the season, the defense had shown a ton of improvement throughout the playoffs. I'm excited to see if this team can take the next step.

Steeldude
03-22-2016, 07:33 AM

Is it possible to be worse than Blake? Hopefully Golson will shine. It would be nice to see Allen do a 180.

- - - Updated - - -

... along with our inevitable CB draft pick

I don't think the Steelers will draft a CB in the first round. IMO, they will spend more interest on DL, OLB and S.

86WARD
03-22-2016, 07:40 AM
I have a very good feeling about Golson.I not think that Golson will be a star, but I think he will be a very good slot CB which is very useful against teams like the pats.

I hope you are right. I have zero confidence in this teams ability to find a half decent CB via the draft.

zulater
03-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Yes, improved but still lacking that #1 CB.

I doubt there's even a dozen of those in the league. And in order to get one you have to draft extremely early, or get extremely lucky. (Richard Sherman in the 5th round ) Or have a ton of cap space available in an offseason when a Talib or Reavis is out there, neither which is true this offseason.

My guess is our secondary will only be slightly better next year. But if Golson proves to be a keeper and/ or Doran Grant or Cortez Allen can successfully transition to safety maybe it will be a bit better than I anticipated? Plus maybe if we get a good enough rookie perhaps he'll contribute more and more as the season goes on? It's not going to change from what it was to what we want it to be overnight, or not even in one season. I think were looking at another year of the offense having to overcome the defense for a good part of the schedule.

steelerkitty
03-22-2016, 09:21 AM
I think Pittsburgh will draft a CB of course. Just not a early one. The more I see and read about Small School wonder James Bradberry, the more I think he might be the guy they will target.

http://stillcurtain.com/2016/02/16/steelers-2016-draft-james-bradberry-can-bring-versatility-to-secondary/

tube517
03-22-2016, 09:36 AM
I hope you are right. I have zero confidence in this teams ability to find a half decent CB via the draft.

Sad to say their CB draft picks have been disappointing. They have been playing with table scraps far too long. They even trade for a CB and treat him like table scraps.

fansince'76
03-22-2016, 09:42 AM
I doubt there's even a dozen of those in the league. And in order to get one you have to draft extremely early, or get extremely lucky. (Richard Sherman in the 5th round ) Or have a ton of cap space available in an offseason when a Talib or Reavis is out there, neither which is true this offseason.

My guess is our secondary will only be slightly better next year. But if Golson proves to be a keeper and/ or Doran Grant or Cortez Allen can successfully transition to safety maybe it will be a bit better than I anticipated? Plus maybe if we get a good enough rookie perhaps he'll contribute more and more as the season goes on? It's not going to change from what it was to what we want it to be overnight, or not even in one season. I think were looking at another year of the offense having to overcome the defense for a good part of the schedule.

I'd also like to think that we're also going to continue to see further improvement due to everybody having another year in Butler's system. The defense has already improved by leaps and bounds and performed better than it had in YEARS in the sacks and turnover departments in 2015. I only wish LeBeau would have been given his walking papers when he should have been (right after the Tebow debacle) as opposed to Arians being made the scapegoat for the whole thing and LeBeau being given another 3 years' worth of rope while the defense just continued to get worse and worse.

polamalubeast
03-22-2016, 10:04 AM

This is very rare that the Steelers used an early draft pick on a CB.

Who was the last CB being drafted by the Steelers in the first two round before Golson?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like to think that we're also going to continue to see further improvement due to everybody having another year in Butler's system. The defense has already improved by leaps and bounds and performed better than it had in YEARS in the sacks and turnover departments in 2015. I only wish LeBeau would have been given his walking papers when he should have been (right after the Tebow debacle) as opposed to Arians being made the scapegoat for the whole thing and LeBeau being given another 3 years' worth of rope while the defense just continued to get worse and worse.

I just hope that the first year of Butler is not a fluke.

Sometimes the best year of a DC is in his first year with the team.

fansince'76
03-22-2016, 10:12 AM

Maybe. But I've already seen a willingness in Butler to try and change things up when something obviously isn't working that I hadn't seen from his predecessor in quite some time, and that in itself was a refreshing change.

Rotorhead
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I seem to recall our Def was the only reason we won a few games last season (when our QB was out and our off was struggling). I have confidence if there is even minor improvements in the secondary we will be the team to beat next season (of course barring major injuries). We were literally 2-3 players on defense from getting #7. If Golson isnt Blake #2 and an improvement that is 1 spot, and if JJ or someone can improve their OLB play and give some rest to JH that is #2 (although I think Dupree will have a breakout year which will free up the other side a bit). We need a DL to rotate with Tuitt and Heyward, but I think we can find that in the Draft. Fix those three things and our defense is hugely improved.

Psycho Ward 86
03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
This is very rare that the Steelers used an early draft pick on a CB.

Who was the last CB being drafted by the Steelers in the first two round before Golson?

- - - Updated - - -

i believe it was ricardo colcough :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
03-22-2016, 12:39 PM

worse yet, we traded up for him...:frusty:

polamalubeast
03-22-2016, 12:45 PM

If this is the case,this is in 2004,so this is a long time ago!

But I think this is Bryant McFadden in 2005.

hawaiiansteeler
03-22-2016, 12:49 PM
If this is the case,this is in 2004,so this is a long time ago!

But I think this is Bryant McFadden in 2005.

you're correct, it was McFadden in Rd 2 of the 2005 draft and Chad Scott in 1997 was the last time we chose a CB in Rd 1.

katmandu
03-22-2016, 02:18 PM
I have zero confidence in this teams ability to find a half decent CB via the draft.Colbert did say in a recent interview that this year's Draft is very deep in Secondary players. He said the same about NT's as well.