PDA

View Full Version : Bolstering secondary, defensive line a priority for Steelers GM Colbert

polamalubeast
03-21-2016, 06:20 AM
BOCA RATON, Fla. — Kevin Colbert will not hang around long and enjoy the amenities at the swank Boca Raton Resort and Club, site of the NFL owners meetings. He has other desires he would like to fulfill.

Like finding a cornerback to improve a secondary that ranked among the worst in the league in 2015. Or a safety or defensive lineman that is much needed to improve depth, at the very least.

Colbert will leave this posh, Mediterranean-styled resort that sits not far from the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean on Tuesday so he can attend three more pro days — Florida, Duke and Houston — and continue his quest to find defensive help for the Steelers. One of the objects of his desire is cornerback William Jackson III, who led the nation in passes defensed at Houston and likely climbed into a first-round selection with his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Colbert said he and coach Mike Tomlin have “been tracking” many of the top cornerbacks in the draft and are trying to attend as many of their pro days as possible.

“I can’t say we’ll take a cornerback first, second or third round,” Colbert said. “But there are enough where we should be able to add somewhere along the line and get a good one.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/21/Bolstering-secondary-defensive-line-a-priority-for-Steelers-GM-Colbert/stories/201603210033

hawaiiansteeler
03-24-2016, 11:54 PM
YOU: Aside from Martavis Bryant and Heath Miller, which was out of their control, and possibly the loss of McClendon for a comparatively cheap contract, I think the Steelers have done the best that could be reasonably expected. What are your thoughts?

ED: The Steelers had one big weakness entering the offseason, the secondary. They reacted by re-signing starting cornerback William Gay and backup safety Robert Golden. They lost starting cornerback Antwon Blake, which generally was cheered by their faithful. However, as I noted, Blake started every game last season so the coaching staff thought he was a better alternative than anything else they had. Therefore, their secondary did not improve and perhaps has taken a step back.

They also got weaker in their defensive line with the loss of nose tackle Steve McLendon. Maybe they feel Daniel McCullers is now a better option or they just want to get younger there. But they have added no one to their defensive line and they have little behind starting ends Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt.

Have they done their best? Maybe, but it still looks as if they are weak in the secondary and have gotten weaker in their defenisve line. It’s way too early to judge because they could sign a free agent safety or defensive lineman at any point and knock it out of the park in the draft with someone who will help immediately. It’s a long way between now and their September kickoff – if the NFL still decides it’s going to open games with kickoffs, that is.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2016/03/24/Ask-Ed-What-s-Going-on-with-Steelers-Cortez-Allen.html?utm_campaign=echobox&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1458826322

86WARD
03-25-2016, 05:07 AM
I've never been one to support the old "addition by subtraction". I think in most cases, even the LeGarrette Blount case, it's horseshit, but in Blake's case...it holds true.

Born2Steel
03-25-2016, 09:17 AM
I have to feel that at pick 25 there will be a safety, CB, or DL that will be the pick, and be someone who will come in and produce day 1. This draft is so loaded with defensive stars I see it again in round 2. The issue remains, as always, can these guys be Steelers over the long term. But there's plenty to choose from.

ALLD
03-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Will be DL or CB in Rd. 1. Golden looks good enough and they might move Grant to S anyway. That's the wildcard.