PDA

View Full Version : Why CB Brandon Boykin Should Really Consider Re-signing With Steelers

Psycho Ward 86
03-19-2016, 03:13 PM
If I would have told you a few weeks ago that linebacker Sean Spence, linebacker Terence Garvin, cornerback Antwon Blake and running back Jordan Todman would all sign free agent contracts with other teams before cornerback Brandon Boykin would, you would have laughed me right off of this site. Well, here we are in the second weekend of the new league year and that’s exactly what has happened.

As far as I can tell, Boykin, who was acquired by the Pittsburgh Steelers during last year’s training camp via a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, hasn’t even made a free agent visit and that in and of itself is very surprising if indeed true. So, why is a player such as Boykin, who Pro Football Focus regarded as one of the top 8 free agent cornerbacks this year, still unsigned? That’s a great question and I certainly don’t have the answer.

For starters, while Boykin only played 273 regular season defensive snaps with the Steelers last season, he played well in the slot when given the opportunity. Additionally, Boykin played 203 special teams snaps for the Steelers in 2015 and registered 4 tackles and a fumble recovery on that unit. Also, it’s certainly not like teams don’t have enough tape on Boykin as he played roughly 1,600 defensive snaps in his three years with the Eagles. Don’t forget, this is the same Boykin who registered 6 interceptions, 16 defensed passes and two forced fumbles in 2013.

It’s not like Boykin is old, either, as he won’t turn 26 until July.

At this point, Boykin’s market value is extremely low and probably less than $2.5 million a season. In other words, he needs to think seriously about signing a one-year deal with a team with the hopes that he can increase his market value in 2016 and test free agency again next offseason.

Read more @: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/cb-brandon-boykin-really-consider-re-signing-steelers/

Mojouw
03-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Blake signs before Boykin. But, don't we all know how much better Boykin is? Again, I have no idea what this means, but it almost continually appears that the NFL does not value Boykin to the same degree as the internet does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GBMelBlount
06-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Not sure if this is news.....

Report: Brandon Boykin may have career-threatening hip issue

Free agent cornerback Brandon Boykin has been on three different teams in the last 11 months and has been unable to find a home despite interest from a few different teams.

Carolina signed Boykin in March only to turn around and release him in May. Boykin has been a solid player during four seasons with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. So why can’t he find a job?

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, a potentially career-threatening hip injury could be the issue at hand. In a chat where he answered questions from readers, Bouchette wrote he’d heard Boykin had a hip problems that “might end his career.”

Boykin played in all 16 games for the Steelers last season, making one start with 25 tackles, an interception, forced fumble, sack and five passes defended.

After being released by Carolina, Boykin had visits with the Dallas Cowboys and Atlanta Falcons. Neither team has elected to sign him and he remains a free agent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/07/report-brandon-boykin-may-have-career-threatening-hip-issue/

st33lersguy
06-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Not sure if this is news.....

Report: Brandon Boykin may have career-threatening hip issue

Free agent cornerback Brandon Boykin has been on three different teams in the last 11 months and has been unable to find a home despite interest from a few different teams.

Carolina signed Boykin in March only to turn around and release him in May. Boykin has been a solid player during four seasons with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. So why can’t he find a job?

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, a potentially career-threatening hip injury could be the issue at hand. In a chat where he answered questions from readers, Bouchette wrote he’d heard Boykin had a hip problems that “might end his career.”

Boykin played in all 16 games for the Steelers last season, making one start with 25 tackles, an interception, forced fumble, sack and five passes defended.

After being released by Carolina, Boykin had visits with the Dallas Cowboys and Atlanta Falcons. Neither team has elected to sign him and he remains a free agent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/07/report-brandon-boykin-may-have-career-threatening-hip-issue/

It's news to me, this is the first I'm hearing of this

steelerdude15
06-14-2016, 01:31 PM
If that's the case, the Steelers need to stay away from him and not even consider resigning him.