PDA

View Full Version : Click Bait: Free Agent Defensive Backs Who Might Interest The Steelers

Shoes
03-14-2016, 08:01 PM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) MARCH 14, 2016 AT 06:24 PM
After signing free agent tight end Ladarius Green during the first night of the new league year, the Pittsburgh Steelers have yet to sign another outside player. While they appear to be open to signing a free agent tackle, that has yet to happen. While the Steelers reportedly had some interest in veteran safety Eric Weddle prior to him signing with the Baltimore Ravens, a Monday morning report indicated that they never made him a formal offer.
In an effort to provide you some false hope, I have eight defensive back free agents that I could see the Steelers potentially having interest in in the coming days or weeks. I must warn you, however, that most of you are not going to like most of the names.
When it comes to safeties, I have ruled out all of the remaining free agents who are over the age of 30 as the recent history of the franchise dictates that I do so. That leaves us with Tony Jefferson, Walter Thurmond, David Bruton and Rahim Moore.
Being as Jefferson is currently a tendered restricted free agent, that reduces the odds of the Steelers even going after him with an offer sheet. While I’m not a huge Thurmond fan, he could potentially be a fit if the price is right. As for Bruton, he’s currently damaged goods as he’s still likely recovering from a broken fibula. That leaves Moore, a street free agent with obvious ties to the Steelers being as he played for defensive backs coach Carnell Lake in college at UCLA.
When it comes to cornerbacks, I have whittled down the list of available free agents to four names and you’re sure to recognize all four. They are: Patrick Robinson, Sterling Moore, Brandon Boykin and Antwon Blake.
Robinson and Moore were both brought in for free agent visits around this same time last year so it’s easy to connect both of them to the Steelers. Boykin and Blake need no introductions.
Once again, I refused to include any free agent cornerbacks who are 30 years of age or older on my list as well as other younger players who failed to play a ton of snaps in 2015.
My list is not sexy at all, but those are the names I have circled. I am now open to hear your arguments for other players and I hope you enjoyed the false hope I have given you.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/free-agent-defensive-backs-might-interest-steelers/

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Signs still pointing to a Walter Thurmond retirement

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2016,

One of the Legion of Boom’s various Ringo Starrs could be leaving the NFL after only six seasons.

Per a league source, Eagles safety Walter Thurmond is currently leaning toward retirement.

Last week, Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News reported that Thurmond was considering walking away at age 28, after four years with the Seahawks, one with the Giants, and one with the Eagles.

Thurmond, according to the source, has opportunities to return, earning in the range of $4 million. But for now Thurmond is closer to calling it quits than coming back for a seventh season. Converted to safety last year by the Eagles after playing cornerback his first five seasons, Thurmond was selected by the Seahawks in the fourth round of the 2010 draft.

Thurmon, Brandon Browner, and Byron Maxwell each left Seattle via free agency after stints with Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor. None has spent more than one year with any team since departing Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/signs-still-pointing-to-a-walter-thurmond-retirement/

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2016, 02:40 PM
I'd just like to see some kind of sign that shows that this team actually wants to improve the terrible secondary.

Count Steeler
03-15-2016, 04:58 PM
I'd just like to see some kind of sign that shows that this team actually wants to improve the terrible secondary.

If they don't re-sign Blake, they are already ahead.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2016, 05:04 PM
If they don't re-sign Blake, they are already ahead.

That's the truth. I'm just really feeling that the longer they don't sign anyone else, the more likely that Blake will be re-signed. I can feel it coming.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2016, 05:44 PM
That's the truth. I'm just really feeling that the longer they don't sign anyone else, the more likely that Blake will be re-signed. I can feel it coming.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wp-ag/wp-content/uploads/sites/72/2014/11/A-Christmas-Story-Soap.gif

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2016, 06:02 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/wp-ag/wp-content/uploads/sites/72/2014/11/A-Christmas-Story-Soap.gif

:lol:

tube517
03-16-2016, 06:10 AM

Add to that, Cortez Allen hasn't accepted the paycut yet so he's likely cut (after June 1?). Another spot open.

Hoping LeBeau gets Blake.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2016, 12:07 AM
omg....i wanted Walter so much

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm still holding out hope that the Steelers sign CB Patrick Robinson in free agency, I really don't want to go into next season with Cockerel and Gay as our starting two outside corners and I don't see a drafted rookie CB starting right away...

Shoes
03-17-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm still holding out hope that the Steelers sign CB Patrick Robinson in free agency, I really don't want to go into next season with Cockerel and Gay as our starting two outside corners and I don't see a drafted rookie CB starting right away...

Agreed!

steelerkitty
03-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Robinson sucks. He got burnt like Toast the past 2 years. And San Diego couldn't wait til he was gone. I would rather try to entice Bengal CB Leon Hall to Pittsburgh. He may be 31, but he was always a good player, and one of the few with actual class.

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Robinson sucks. He got burnt like Toast the past 2 years. And San Diego couldn't wait til he was gone. I would rather try to entice Bengal CB Leon Hall to Pittsburgh. He may be 31, but he was always a good player, and one of the few with actual class.

TOP 8 CORNERBACKS ABOUT TO HIT FREE AGENCY

Pro Football Focus
MATT CLAASSEN

Below are PFF’s top eight cornerback free agents entering the 2016 NFL offseason:

6. Patrick Robinson
2015 team: San Diego Chargers

Robinson is set to hit free agency for the second year in a row after signing a one-year deal with the Chargers last offseason. After having his ups and downs in New Orleans, the former first-round pick put together one of the better seasons of his short career. Robinson allowed 30 or more yards receiving just once all season, and ranked in the top third of cornerbacks in coverage grade. But his inconsistency prior to his San Diego stint is still a bit concerning.

7. Leon Hall
2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

There was a time when Hall was among some of the best cover corners in the league, particularly in the slot. He was on his way to a potential career-year in 2013 before a second Achilles injury cut his season short. Even though he is not quite the same player he used to be, he has earned above-average coverage grades in each of his nine seasons in the league. Hall is best when playing in the slot, a position that not every cornerback can play. With the abundance of spread looks in the NFL, Hall can make a large contribution even if he’s not a starter.

8. Brandon Boykin
2015 team: Pittsburgh Steelers

Just a few seasons ago in 2013, Boykin was among our highest-graded cornerbacks in coverage. After being traded to Pittsburgh for a late-round draft pick prior to the start of this season, he hardly saw the field for much of the season. The Steelers finally gave him more playing in Week 13, and he played well. He had one interception, two pass defenses, and allowed a passer rating of 65.0 over the final five weeks of the regular season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/10/pro-top-10-cornerbacks-about-to-hit-free-agency/

Shoes
03-17-2016, 09:22 PM

Robinson had a breakout season in SD last year and graded #28 out of 118 qualifiers. If the Steelers could get him at a bargain price, it would be well worth it.

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Robinson had a breakout season in SD last year and graded #28 out of 118 qualifiers. If the Steelers could get him at a bargain price, it would be well worth it.

Yep. Robinson played very well last season. I'd much rather have him than old man Hall.

hawaiiansteeler
03-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac

Tomlin said it's unlikely Steelers will sign a CB in free agency. “I don’t know that there’s one available at this juncture.”

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac