PDA

View Full Version : Here's Why the Timing of Bryant's Depression Diagnosis is BS

katmandu
03-14-2016, 09:51 AM
...Edited.... The TIMING is what is bullshit. Not his diagnosis.

As a person that has battled Depression for (50) years I need to say this.

#1) I am 100% supportive on this kid getting help for Depression. I could not be happier for him !

#2) This kid has many more issues that just Depression.

#3) Biggest question of all here. Why just NOW ?

You mean to tell me his Doctors and treatment staff are just NOW diagnosing this kid with Depression and just NOW seeking Professional treatment for it ?

REALLY ???

If that is the case, this is the biggest case I have ever seen for Medical Malpractice !

EVER !

Here is why I say that. Depression screening is Mental Health/Rehab 101 ! Depression screening is basic Mental Health and Medical treatment ! That is why I call BS on this kid just having Depression issues ! There is much more going on that this.

That said, if you or any of your loved one's family friend, co-workers or fellow Steeler fans have symptoms of Depression, I beg you to seek out help !

There is a MASSIVE amount of help out there! Google is your friend to help educate you about Depression and other Mental Health conditions !

You have no need to hide in shame and self medicate yourself ! There is a beautiful world out there just waiting for you to explore and enjoy !

Seeking Professional help for my Depression issues literally saved my life and it can save yours as well !

LOVE TRUMPS HATE !

steelerkitty
03-14-2016, 09:59 AM
I agree. This almost always seems to be a reason given by agents of players who are or who have been suspended, or are facing suspension from constant drug use, or other off the field incidents. You never hear this from players who don't use drugs or with any other issues. I mean the draft process uses a HUGE Microscope to investigate all aspects of these kids lives. They would have found signals of a Mental issue then. They probably knew about his past drug usage as well. It's just that Mike Tomlin doesn't really care about it.

fansince'76
03-14-2016, 10:09 AM
I agree. This almost always seems to be a reason given by agents of players who are or who have been suspended, or are facing suspension from constant drug use, or other off the field incidents. You never hear this from players who don't use drugs or with any other issues. I mean the draft process uses a HUGE Microscope to investigate all aspects of these kids lives. They would have found signals of a Mental issue then. They probably knew about his past drug usage as well. It's just that Mike Tomlin doesn't really care about it.

Yep, I've been waiting for someone to somehow put this all back on Tomlin. :rolleyes:

80% of the damn league smokes reefer regularly. And I'd be willing to bet that even that is a conservative estimate. :coffee:

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 10:21 AM
As a person that has battled Depression for (50) years I need to say this.

#1) I am 100% supportive on this kid getting help for Depression. I could not be happier for him !

#2) This kid has many more issues that just Depression.

#3) Biggest question of all here. Why just NOW ?

You mean to tell me his Doctors and treatment staff are just NOW diagnosing this kid with Depression and just NOW seeking Professional treatment for it ?

REALLY ???

If that is the case, this is the biggest case I have ever seen for Medical Malpractice !

EVER !

Here is why I say that. Depression screening is Mental Health/Rehab 101 ! Depression screening is basic Mental Health and Medical treatment ! That is why I call BS on this kid just having Depression issues ! There is much more going on that this.

That said, if you or any of your loved one's family friend, co-workers or fellow Steeler fans have symptoms of Depression, I beg you to seek out help !

There is a MASSIVE amount of help out there! Google is your friend to help educate you about Depression and other Mental Health conditions !

You have no need to hide in shame and self medicate yourself ! There is a beautiful world out there just waiting for you to explore and enjoy !

Seeking Professional help for my Depression issues literally saved my life and it can save yours as well !

LOVE TRUMPS HATE !

Do you place everyone with clinical depression into the same category? Maybe his depression manifests differently than yours? Treatments seem to vary so do the symptoms. Just not ready to call BS yet.

steelerkitty
03-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Yep, I've been waiting for someone to somehow put this all back on Tomlin. :rolleyes:

80% of the damn league smokes reefer regularly. And I'd be willing to bet that even that is a conservative estimate. :coffee:

And that makes it okay ? Sorry but this is on Tomlin IF the reports cameback that Bryant had used drugs. Now, that doesn't mean you cannot draft him if you feel the kid is being honest during his draft Interview that he will not use it again, but the decision to draft him is on the Head coach.

zulater
03-14-2016, 10:37 AM
If Martavis is actually clean and skipped the test then I would say depression could be involved here. And if he hasn't smoked since the season ended he can prove it with a hair follicle. Hair follicle's don't lie and don't hide anything. If he has or hasn't smoked since the season ended it would be evident from a simple hair sample. This is why parolees sometimes shave all their body hair( and I mean all of it) if they have to submit to testing for drugs. Of course in the legal system that's considered a positive test. ( full body shave) Because a pee test can be beat. A hair test can't. So if I'm Bryant's agents I put up or shut up.

fansince'76
03-14-2016, 10:40 AM
And that makes it okay ? Sorry but this is on Tomlin IF the reports cameback that Bryant had used drugs. Now, that doesn't mean you cannot draft him if you feel the kid is being honest during his draft Interview that he will not use it again, but the decision to draft him is on the Head coach.

How many NFL players smoke weed? You might think that the dedication and responsibility and memory and skill needed to make it to the highest level would discourage pot smokers, but we hear about players getting busted for smoking all the time (where art thou, Justin Blackmon? Et tu, Josh Gordon?). In fact, according to an article by Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman, smoking pot — mostly for medicinal reasons — is so prevalent, an anonymous survey he conducted of 16 players found that 15 smoked. At that rate, about 94 percent of the league gets stoned.

Ninety-four percent is a little… high. But it might not be that far off, according to predictions by current and former players:

Anonymous Survey Shows That NFL’s Weed Testing Policy Is A Joke
(http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/anonymous-survey-shows-that-nfls-weed-testing-policy-is-a-joke/)
94% sounds right on the money to me.

"If you busted every player who smoked grass, you wouldn't have enough left to field the punt return team." - Phil Elliott (Nick Nolte), North Dallas Forty

zulater
03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

It's called risk reward ratio. In the 4th round his upside was so great that the known risk was worth accepting. And if he never catches another pass in a Steelers uniform I defy anyone to make the case they wasted the pick.

katmandu
03-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Do you place everyone with clinical depression into the same category? Maybe his depression manifests differently than yours? Treatments seem to vary so do the symptoms. Just not ready to call BS yet.Absolutely not.

I should have clarified that it is the TIMING of his diagnosis. NOT the treatment plan.

The TIMING is bullshitt.

Someone that has multiple times of issues with substance abuse most definitely has some degree of Depression. That would have been discovered on the on-set of his treatment plan.

Most certainly when he went for his first stint in Rehab.

steelerkitty
03-14-2016, 10:44 AM
If Martavis is actually clean and skipped the test then I would say depression could be involved here. And if he hasn't smoked since the season ended he can prove it with a hair follicle. Hair follicle's don't lie and don't hide anything. If he has or hasn't smoked since the season ended it would be evident from a simple hair sample. This is why parolees sometimes shave all their body hair( and I mean all of it) if they have to submit to testing for drugs. Of course in the legal system that's considered a positive test. ( full body shave) Because a pee test can be beat. A hair test can't. So if I'm Bryant's agents I put up or shut up.

Hair Follicle tests are not more reliable then urine tests. Just that they can go back longer, like 90 days, as opposed to 7-10 days for a urine test. And since Bryant has failed multiple tests already, he is required to take a Urine test at least once a week, even if the off-season. Also, to do a proper Hair Follicle test, you have to give at the least 1 1/2 inch length of Hair removed at the root. And I don't know if he even has that length of hair. A blood test would be best, but I think the CBA does not allow for that.

katmandu
03-14-2016, 10:48 AM
It's called risk reward ratio. In the 4th round his upside was so great that the known risk was worth accepting. And if he never catches another pass in a Steelers uniform I defy anyone to make the case they wasted the pick.A lot of teams show great incompetence in this area.

Look at the risk/reward ratio for Circus clown Johnny Football.

To many people place way to much emphasis on a player's physical skill set and greatly underestimate their Mental and Emotion health issues.

Dwinsgames
03-14-2016, 01:32 PM
I am far from the Biggest Tomlin supporter ( or Colberts for that matter ) but to blame a Coach for a players actions is beyond ridiculous to me ... Martavis is a grown ass man who makes his own decisions right or wrong ...

Tomlin does not have final draft say , its Colbert or at the very minimum a 50/50 thing ..... with Art 2 and Dan having Veto power of the say but only used in rare cases ..

if looking for Blame the team is the last place that needs to be looked at .

I hope the man gets the help he needs if this is not a sham to try and circumvent his reputation and suspension hits .
not saying it is a sham as I do not walk in his shoes but it does have foot odor to it to some degree but that could be from us not knowing the whole story and what we do know is 3rd hand at best

there ya go that is how I feel on the topic for what its worth

Shoes
03-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I think Colberts statement today made clear that Bryant is a jackass and is not a victim of "depression"
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/steelers-very-disappointed-in-martavis-bryant/

steelerkitty
03-14-2016, 06:17 PM
I think Colberts statement today made clear that Bryant is a jackass and is not a victim of "depression"
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/steelers-very-disappointed-in-martavis-bryant/

Even if he does come back in 2017, Bryant will owe us. So, I would absolutely DEMAND that he and his agent agree to a 6 year extension at no more then 6 million in total ( No signing bonus at all )...and even if he stays clean the first 2 seasons ( 2017-18 )..and say has a combined, Oh...200 + catches for over 4,000 yards, and scores say 40-50 TD's...he HAS to play those remaining 4 seasons at NO MORE then a single 1 million a season. If he doesn't wanna agree to those terms......Bye-Bye Bryant!!

katmandu
03-14-2016, 06:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/steelers-very-disappointed-in-martavis-bryant/Here;s Hines Wards statement on Bryant.

"Really selfish [Bryant] would put his team in this position".

smokin3000gt
03-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Why does the NFL have anything to do with this anyways? It's not a PED so they should butt out. This is between MB and the state. If they want to go after him then so be it. I find it kind of ridiculous that it's A-OK to tape players back together, pump 'em up with injections and pills, but if they smoke a joint for physical or mental pain their paycheck and career could go down the tubes.

ALLD
03-14-2016, 08:05 PM
It's in the contract, so it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. There are many other banned drugs which are legal too. I think they should legalize it just to quiet the argument, but until it happens that's the way it goes.

I could give up lots of things like soda and french fires, but the only thing I couldn't is sex. There are people who cannot give up smoking pot for $5 million per year to play a game. That's a fact.

The only surprise here folks is that the Steelers drafted Bryant and not the Browns.

Mojouw
03-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Based on the available evidence, Bryant has not failed a test since his last suspension. He simply did not take at least 2 NFL directed drug screenings. He passed at least one other drug test during the same time span. Now the passed test could be agent bullshit (here, sign this paper - the check is in the mail) or it could be legit.

My gut reaction is that this is a young man who has cleaned up his substance abuse issues - or at least gotten smarter about getting away with it! I suspect that everyone involved thought that once Bryant quit smoking weed - it all gets better. Now that the dope has been removed (just my opinion) the real underlying mental health issues that have likely driven his other life decisions all this time can be revealed.

Bottom line, I think his concentration issues in college and the pros, his personal life being a bit rough, his lack of effort towards the later portion of last regular season, his struggles with playbook study, etc. were likely all written off to him getting high. Let's assume that Lucas' rehab did fix the getting baked portion - but no one really recognized (let alone treated) the depression/mental health stuff.

Again, making an assumption, Bryant barely holds it together around the structured environment of team and coaches. Remove that structure and his mental health house of cards falls apart.

I think that (my above series of assumptions) is logical enough that we have to at least see if that is the story that comes out before we all write him off as a deadbeat pothead who let everyone down.

Now, saying all that, I am not certain that Bryant is a good 2017 option for the Steelers.

katmandu
03-14-2016, 09:16 PM
There are people who cannot give up smoking pot for $5 million per year to play a game. That's a fact.
That is the definition of Addiction right there.

- - - Updated - - -

That is the definition of Addiction right there.

Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, ...

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/understanding-drug-abuse-addiction

What Is Drug Addiction?Addiction is a chronic, often relapsing brain disease that causes compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences to the addicted individual and to those around him or her. Although the initial decision to take drugs is voluntary for most people, the brain changes that occur over time challenge an addicted person’s self-control and hamper his or her ability to resist intense impulses to take drugs.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.asam.org/quality-practice/definition-of-addiction