PDA

View Full Version : Martavis Bryant and the Beauty of Grace

stillers4me
03-13-2016, 08:53 AM
“Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

We’ll call him Trevor for our purposes here, although in reality he was most often referred to by several nicknames, bestowed upon him by those privileged enough to know and love him. One of the funniest and brightest kids I’ve known in my 26 years, Trevor was smart, fun-loving, and extremely well-liked among his peers. My favorite memory of our time together was his passionate belief that the lyrics to the song “Radioactive” by the band Imagine Dragons went “ready to rock dude”, instead of “Radioactive”

Unfortunately, Trevor also had the unfortunate struggle of battling depression and drug addiction while just a teenager. We talked many times about the circumstances that led him to the drug and alcohol facility that I worked at for a year after graduating from college, as the young man spoke with deep regret and shame about past overdoses that had nearly taken his life, some intentionally and some unintentionally........

Read more @ http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-and-the-beauty-of-grace/

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks for posting this. I think that the issues raised in this article are what Martavis needs to concentrate on. If he takes care of correcting/treating/understanding (not sure of the best term here) his mental issues, the football side of his life will take care of itself.

Let's say he is suspended for a year. If he spends that year working on himself as a person and getting a handle on his depression and stays in shape, etc. I can see a version of this where he comes back and has a long career as a Pittsburgh Steeler. IT could be viewed the same as a catastrophic off-season knee injury.

That all assumes that Bryant is able to get the help he needs and works as hard at that as he has at football.

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerESPN Mar 12

It's early in the process, but from what I'm hearing I don't think the Steelers will cut Martavis Bryant.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN

lipps83
03-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Thank you for posting this article.

I probably went a bit harsh on some of the people in this forum last night, but I do not regret my actions. We, as a society and a culture, need to quit with these knee jerk reactions. I understand there are some things at stake here, but not a single one of them are as tangible as a persons well being and overall life. Yes, he might miss some games.

Do you see the words?

Games.

That is all the NFL and the Pittsburgh Steelers are. They play a game.

This persons health and overall well being are more important than any game that can be played. If the Pittsburgh Steelers chose to sever times with him due to these latest events, than it has demonstrated it is an organization that is not worthy of my support.

There are already some members on this forum that I am embarrassed to root alongside with.

fansince'76
03-13-2016, 04:29 PM

I probably went a bit harsh on some of the people in this forum last night, but I do not regret my actions. We, as a society and a culture, need to quit with these knee jerk reactions. I understand there are some things at stake here, but not a single one of them are as tangible as a persons well being and overall life. Yes, he might miss some games.

Do you see the words?

Games.

This persons health and overall well being are more important than any game that can be played. If the Pittsburgh Steelers chose to sever times with him due to these latest events, than it has demonstrated it is an organization that is not worthy of my support.

There are already some members on this forum that I am embarrassed to root alongside with.

So in your mind, all a player has to do is claim he's depressed and he gets an unlimited number of passes to screw up and should never be held accountable for anything? Is that about it?

Frankly, I think the Steelers have been more than patient with him. Belichick would have kicked him to the curb long before now.

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 04:38 PM
So in your mind, all a player has to do is claim he's depressed and he gets an unlimited number of passes to screw up and should never be held accountable for anything? Is that about it?

I don't think anyone is saying that. But what they are saying is it really isn't important right now whether or not Martavis Bryant WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers plays football or not right now. His inability to follow the rules mandated by the NFL may mean his football career is over. That isn't the issue. What is more important is that Martavis Bryant the person gets his shit squared away. That is what matters now. If, after he sorts his life out, then a discussion about whether or not his career as a NFL player should or should not continue as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That's my two cents.

fansince'76
03-13-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that. But what they are saying is it really isn't important right now whether or not Martavis Bryant WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers plays football or not right now. His inability to follow the rules mandated by the NFL may mean his football career is over. That isn't the issue. What is more important is that Martavis Bryant the person gets his shit squared away. That is what matters now. If, after he sorts his life out, then a discussion about whether or not his career as a NFL player should or should not continue as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That's my two cents.

Fair enough. I hope the guy gets his life straightened out as well.

Steeldude
03-14-2016, 03:56 AM

Do you see the words?

Games.

It's a logical move to sever ties. He is paid to do a job. Why pay millions to a person who cannot play? Bryant chose to take drugs under his own free will.

Cyphon25
03-14-2016, 08:45 AM

Do you see the words?

Games.

Maybe practice what you preach. Don't you think it is a bit knee jerk to stop rooting for the team because they make a decision regarding a player who continues to fail them? When players are injured too often teams move on from them. When players don't play well teams move on from them. How is this any different? The NFL is a business and both players and teams know that.

Bryant is no good to the team in the situation he is in and them keeping him around doesn't really help him either. We have already seen that since he has repeated past mistakes. They supported him and gave him a chance and it didn't work. So now it is time for him to try a different path.

I am not even a little mad at Martavis for this but I am realistic about his responsibility in it and how the team should proceed. If they choose to stick with him I am okay with it and if they choose to move on from him I am okay with it. I don't think either shows a different level of class for our organization.

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 09:10 AM
On the player side...Depression is real. Too many people, just like the article says, go undiagnosed and untreated, and usually end tragically. It is a lifetime issue, not something that can be cured. You can only treat the symptoms. Many times the drugs used to treat depression can cause other issues as well. Bryant is in a tough struggle and we should all support him in this. As people, not just as fans.

On the team side...This is a business first and foremost sorry to say. If he cannot be on the field, he cannot be on the field. He will have to be replaced, at least for now. We still have AB, DHB, Wheaton, Coates, and a couple PS guys that didn't totally suck. The team will be fine.