View Full Version : LT Russell Okung To Visit Steelers

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 02:01 PM

teegre
03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
I'd rather keep Beachum.

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 02:06 PM
I was surprised to read that. The Lions want him, he's coming off of surgery and has never been able to stay healthy.

I don't want us to pay the money that it would cost for him.

st33lersguy
03-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Too pricey. Plus how about adding defensive free agents?

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2016, 02:17 PM
way too much money and too injured. just get a decent swing tackle

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 02:23 PM
way too much money and too injured. just get a decent swing tackle

I agree, I would rather re-sign Beachball and let Army Ranger man be the swing tackle...

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
I don't understand this. Is he planning on playing for free?

teegre
03-12-2016, 03:42 PM
I don't understand this. Is he planning on playing for free?

He heard that some Steeler fan was giving out hand jobs...

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 03:54 PM
He heard that some Steeler fan was giving out hand jobs...

they might be willing to lend a hand...

https://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/pittsburgh-steelers-sexy-superfans-11.jpg?quality=88&w=260https://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/pittsburgh-steelers-sexy-superfans-37.jpg?quality=88&w=312

Mojouw
03-12-2016, 04:44 PM
This is a negotiating tactic to Beachum. When healthy, hey I heard it happened once in high school, Okung might be better than Beachum.

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 04:49 PM
This is a negotiating tactic to Beachum. When healthy, hey I heard it happened once in high school, Okung might be better than Beachum.

Yeah, that's not unlikely. Or also that it's a negotiating tactic by Okung to drive his own price up somewhere else. In either case, I would find it pretty damn surprising if he ended up here.

polamalubeast
03-13-2016, 11:31 AM

teegre
03-13-2016, 12:06 PM

They call it the "6 trophy discount".

(Something like: Okung signs for 2 years, $8 million.)

tube517
03-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Who is that big 14 year old dude on the right?

Beachum must get carded alot :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
03-13-2016, 01:14 PM
They call it the "6 trophy discount".

(Something like: Okung signs for 2 years, $8 million.)
Someone needs to tag Eric Weddle in this picture to help him along with his decision. [emoji1]

polamalubeast
03-13-2016, 02:32 PM

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 02:35 PM

Well. Damn. That was unexpected. I guess AV is not the answer we seemed to think he was?

tube517
03-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Well. Damn. That was unexpected. I guess AV is not the answer we seemed to think he was?

Are they playing poker w/Beachum?

Is Mike Adams too much of a hippo fart as a backup OT?

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Are they playing poker w/Beachum?

Is Mike Adams too much of a hippo fart as a backup OT?

Okung, if he were to sign, would become the best tackle on the roster. I suspect that AV then would be the swing tackle and Mike Adams is done?

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 02:57 PM
http://img.scout.com/sites/default/files/2016/03/13/Screen%20Shot%202016-03-13%20at%2011.06.38%20AM.png

ALLD
03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Texans or Steelers is an easy choice unless Houston was willing to go $10 million+ per season.

steelreserve
03-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Russell Okung has an offer on the table from Steelers. Team meeting with more OTs in next few days. Kelvin Beachum still unsigned.
— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) March 13, 2016

Based on the fact that we've brought in three OTs and counting, it seems like offensive tackle, not CB or S, is where we're looking to bring in help in free agency. Not what I'd have done from a need/price/availability standpoint. I guess they can't all be spectacular decisions.

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Russell Okung has an offer on the table from Steelers. Team meeting with more OTs in next few days. Kelvin Beachum still unsigned.
— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) March 13, 2016

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

OT Russell Okung has completed his visit with Steelers, who made known their interest in signing him, per source.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Based on the fact that we've brought in three OTs and counting, it seems like offensive tackle, not CB or S, is where we're looking to bring in help in free agency. Not what I'd have done from a need/price/availability standpoint. I guess they can't all be spectacular decisions.

I wonder if the fact that we made an offer to Okung means we are no longer in the Weddle sweepstakes?

tube517
03-13-2016, 03:24 PM
I wonder if the fact that we made an offer to Okung means we are no longer in the Weddle sweepstakes?

Shhhhhh...don't let Tiger see this post. :chuckle:

Seriously, that was what I am thinking. I doubt they see AV as ready to be the full time starter and that they don't have faith in Mike Adams to be the swing tackle anymore. No way do we have enough money for both Okung and Weddle.

polamalubeast
03-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Seriously, that was what I am thinking. I doubt they see AV as ready to be the full time starter and that they don't have faith in Mike Adams to be the swing tackle anymore. No way do we have enough money for both Okung and Weddle.

If the contracts are well structured, this is not impossible.

tube517
03-13-2016, 03:34 PM
If the contracts are well structured, this is not impossible.

True.

Realistically, I don't see it happening. One or both will go to another team due to more money elsewhere.

Bluecoat96
03-13-2016, 05:20 PM
True.

Realistically, I don't see it happening. One or both will go to another team due to more money elsewhere.
I tend to agree. However, we're a Decastro exention, Roethlisberger restructure, Timmons extension, and Suisham cut away from having a shit ton more cap space.

polamalubeast
03-13-2016, 05:23 PM
I tend to agree. However, we're a Decastro exention, Roethlisberger restructure, Timmons extension, and Suisham cut away from having a shit ton more cap space.

and Cortez Allen cut or pay cut....

Bluecoat96
03-13-2016, 05:26 PM
and Cortez Allen cut or pay cut....
Oh yeah! I honestly forgot about him. We are in good shape. Hell, we may not even have to get into restructure hell in order to free up lots of cap space.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2016, 05:37 PM
this offer has less to do with AV being able to handle the Job , the real reason is we have NOTHING in terms of depth Adams slow to recover / slow to develop is the primary reason in my opinion we simply have nothing proven capable /healthy behind the two starters just a few warm bodies and thats it ...

I am perplexed at why we have not had a visit from Patrick Robinson .. we spoke with him last year and he has done nothing since to make us not want him if anything improved his worth but have not seen much in print about him this off season in terms of visits

teegre
03-13-2016, 05:42 PM

:no:

:lol:

Maybe...

Beachum was in their "original" plan. If Okung is truly cheaper, then maybe that's why they went with him... in order to free up money for Weddle.

Count Steeler
03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Just a couple of seasons ago we had Guy Whimper as our back up tackle. I believe at the time we signed him, he was one of the worst rated linemen on PFF.

Now that we have Munchak and we have seen him work his magic, I'll take any OT at a decent price as a backup.

I remember even Hubbard played a few downs when Big V went down for a few snaps (forget which game, quick search, looks like it was the Ravens). He was not beaten on any play in that sequence.

polamalubeast
03-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Just a couple of seasons ago we had Guy Whimper as our back up tackle. I believe at the time we signed him, he was one of the worst rated linemen on PFF.

Now that we have Munchak and we have seen him work his magic, I'll take any OT at a decent price as a backup.

I remember even Hubbard played a few downs when Big V went down for a few snaps (forget which game, quick search, looks like it was the Ravens). He was not beaten on any play in that sequence.

It was against the Bengals in week 14.

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2016, 05:45 PM
I am perplexed at why we have not had a visit from Patrick Robinson .. we spoke with him last year and he has done nothing since to make us not want him if anything improved his worth but have not seen much in print about him this off season in terms of visits

I'm perplexed at the lack of defensive player visits period.

teegre
03-13-2016, 05:51 PM
I heard that Beachum was going to be re-signed.

Weddle visited.

Beachum contract rumors stopped, and Okung (cheaper) shows up.

SUMMATION:
Okung + Weddle versus Beachum + no Weddle

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm perplexed at the lack of defensive player visits period.

This year's draft class is crap for offensive players - skill and non-skill. Loaded on defensive side of the ball.

I believe Colbert spoke about how the draft class influences FA decisions.

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
This year's draft class is crap for offensive players - skill and non-skill. Loaded on defensive side of the ball.

I believe Colbert spoke about how the draft class influences FA decisions.

That may be true but defense is our most pressing need and draft picks are most likely not going to do too much in their first season.

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 06:15 PM
That may be true but defense is our most pressing need and draft picks are most likely not going to do too much in their first season.

That is also true. But who would be better as a back-up DE? Jason Jones or a 2nd round draft pick from a deep DL class?

steelreserve
03-13-2016, 06:59 PM

That's a line that's repeated all the time, but it's TERRIBLE logic. Let's assume it's true, and a draft pick isn't likely to contribute as a rookie? What's the solution - don't draft anyone at your positions of need, and now it's a minimum of TWO years before you get any help? That line of thinking leads to one conclusion: Never draft anyone.

About the only thing Jones has going for him is that he's available and sort of plays DE/OLB. I don't see how that helps us. Just because a guitar cable is about the same size as your cat's butthole does NOT mean you should try to plug your cat into your amp.

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
I heard that Beachum was going to be re-signed.

Weddle visited.

Beachum contract rumors stopped, and Okung (cheaper) shows up.

SUMMATION:
Okung + Weddle versus Beachum + no Weddle

That would be cool. But I think the bottom line is that there is clearly a massive gap between how the fans see the game and how the team is seeing the game. Most fans felt that AV has the future at LT and were fine with letting Beachum walk and having Adams serve as the swing tackle. If the last 3 days or so show us anything, the Steelers absolutely do not see things that way and are clearly attempting to either sign or draft someone to challenge for the starting LT position.

teegre
03-13-2016, 10:04 PM
That would be cool. But I think the bottom line is that there is clearly a massive gap between how the fans see the game and how the team is seeing the game. Most fans felt that AV has the future at LT and were fine with letting Beachum walk and having Adams serve as the swing tackle. If the last 3 days or so show us anything, the Steelers absolutely do not see things that way and are clearly attempting to either sign or draft someone to challenge for the starting LT position.

True... I was 100% aboard the "AV train".

Beachum would have been nice, but if he's too expensive, I'll gladly use that extra money on Weddle. :wink02:

Steelman
03-14-2016, 03:31 AM

Isn't it more of a heavily-invested insurance policy though? Signing a starting caliber tackle doesn't necessarily count out AV or their belief in him. I think it's more an indictment on Adams. Maybe Adams isn't the sure bet we're making him out to be, after all he's been hurt more than available. That leaves you with Gilbert and AV and whatever scrubs are currently stashed in the Munchak Project.

Ben doesn't have too many years left and these next two are make or break as far as Super Bowl contention is concerned (which, when thought of that way, signing Weddle makes a lot more sense) and I have no problem loading up on quality tackles even if it turns out to be overkill.

That said, I'm no fan of Okung and I hope the reports of an offer made to him are not true. Though I'm guessing that since he didn't sign, it must be a low-ball offer which would go back to my main point.

steelreserve
03-14-2016, 03:43 AM
The thing about the tackle situation is, who even knows if Adams can play at all? Back surgery and missing a whole season often mean you're not the same, and Adams wasn't that good to begin with.

Still, I didn't see offensive tackle as quite such the dire position of need that it's becoming apparent the team does. Draft a guy in the middle rounds and I'd be fine with it.

Option 1: AV (L) + Gilbert (R)
Option 2: Gilbert (L) + Rookie (R)
Option 3: Rookie (L) + Gilbert (R)
Option 4?: Gilbert (L) + Adams (R)

Yeah, Gilbert didn't do so well at LT his first few tries at it, but for chirst's sake, have you seen how he's improved under Munchak? That probably extends to both positions, not just right. I think we've already got two starting left tackles on the team if need be. Bring in a cheap backup RT or draft one and that's about it. Don't fuck yourself over on the important stuff.

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2016, 07:38 AM
That's a line that's repeated all the time, but it's TERRIBLE logic. Let's assume it's true, and a draft pick isn't likely to contribute as a rookie? What's the solution - don't draft anyone at your positions of need, and now it's a minimum of TWO years before you get any help? That line of thinking leads to one conclusion: Never draft anyone.

About the only thing Jones has going for him is that he's available and sort of plays DE/OLB. I don't see how that helps us. Just because a guitar cable is about the same size as your cat's butthole does NOT mean you should try to plug your cat into your amp.
Way to take what I wrote and completely change the meaning. You can't just take a piece of what i wrote and jump on it. I didn't say anything that could ever be translated to "don't draft anyone at positions of need". Completely ridiculous.

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2016, 07:41 AM
That is also true. But who would be better as a back-up DE? Jason Jones or a 2nd round draft pick from a deep DL class?
I'm not advocating Jones. He's terrible. I'll take the 2nd round draft pick any day.

I'm talking more about the secondary where we're in need of starters.

st33lersguy
03-14-2016, 01:02 PM
I really do not want all our outside free agents being offensive players. Villanueva played well and this guy is often injured. I say no

Mojouw
03-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Here is what I'm thining. Okung is a bigger upgrade at LT than any of the available FA options are at DL or DB now that Weddle and Heyward are off the market.

Whether it is to start or build depth - it "frees" up another draft pick to go to defense. The players in the draft are better than the defenders on the FA market.

Same logic can be applied to TE. Green is better than the best propsects in this years TE class.

hawaiiansteeler
03-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Report: Free Agent T Russell Okung Meeting With Steelers OL Coach Mike Munchak Monday

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 14, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers brought Seattle Seahawks free agent tackle Russell Okung in for a visit over the weekend and several reports indicated that they went as far as to make him an offer. The contact with Okung, however, hasn’t stopped there as Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported Monday morning that the veteran tackle will now meet with Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak as well.

Munchak was apparently in Houston over the weekend so perhaps Okung spent the night in Pittsburgh in order to talk with the Steelers offensive line coach on Monday. La Canfora goes on to report that Okung currently has offers on the table from the Detroit Lions and New York Giants in addition to the one from the Steelers. The Seahawks could also still be in play.

The Steelers really are giving the appearance that they expect to lose free agent tackle Kelvin Beachum to another team and thus are serious about potentially signing a free agent replacement should that ultimately happen.

One would think that Okung will make a decision as to where he’ll play in 2016 very soon and the same could go for Beachum, who is reportedly visiting with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-free-agent-t-russell-okung-meeting-with-steelers-ol-coach-mike-munchak-monday/

SteelMember
03-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Read somewhere that Okung was acting as his own agent.... maybe not the best idea to save 4%.

He was a marketing major. So, then again.

The biggest concern for us (besides the amount of $), or any team that signs him, is his durability. He's missed quite a few games because of injuries. I believe out of the 6 years he's been in the NFL, he's only had a complete season ONE time. First round talent though.

polamalubeast
03-17-2016, 03:32 PM

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2016, 06:40 PM

That's definitely more than what we were going to pay him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Update: Further contract details have come in, and it's become apparent that this "5-year contract" is really a 1-year pact worth $5 million with a team option for four years at $12 million per.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#OUfzHFPEDO06D8C3.99

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2016, 01:00 AM
Update: Further contract details have come in, and it's become apparent that this "5-year contract" is really a 1-year pact worth $5 million with a team option for four years at $12 million per.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#OUfzHFPEDO06D8C3.99

is this a new thing? i cant recall ever seeing contracts written out like this other than this offseason with Okung and Beachum

tube517
03-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Okung got ZERO guaranteed money.

steelreserve
03-18-2016, 04:32 PM
is this a new thing? i cant recall ever seeing contracts written out like this other than this offseason with Okung and Beachum

It is a bit odd. I mean, injured players sign one-year contracts all the time hoping they'll be back 100% and then cash in on the open market. But the team option is a new thing. I guess if I was a player, I wouldn't object to them keeping the right to pay me a shitload of money; it doesn't cost me anything, and if I get paid the $10M or $12M, then great.

hawaiiansteeler
03-18-2016, 04:54 PM
It is a bit odd. I mean, injured players sign one-year contracts all the time hoping they'll be back 100% and then cash in on the open market. But the team option is a new thing. I guess if I was a player, I wouldn't object to them keeping the right to pay me a shitload of money; it doesn't cost me anything, and if I get paid the $10M or $12M, then great.

the only player I can ever remember previously signing that kind of a contract was Drew Brees...

polamalubeast
03-20-2016, 12:33 PM
the only player I can ever remember previously signing that kind of a contract was Drew Brees...

in 2006?

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2016, 10:05 PM
yes, in 2006 Drew Brees signed a six-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints that included an $8 million signing bonus and had a 2006 base salary of $2 million.

however, the contract included a $12 million option bonus due the following spring which could have given the Saints an out if they weren't happy with how Brees had recovered from his injury during the 2005 season with the Chargers.

so in essence, the contract was really a 1 year $10 million deal with a team option for the following 5 years which the Saints ended up exercising...