PDA

View Full Version : Martavis Bryant Facing Season Long Suspension

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Go Sammy!!!!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-martavis-bryant-facing-season-long-suspension/

Method28
03-12-2016, 12:43 PM
You gotta be ******** kidding me

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Bryant hurts more him that the Steelers.I am confident that Coates can be good and the Steelers have a lot talent on offense.

For Bryant because of his problems, he will lose a lot of money and that's his problem.Martavis is very talented and I thought he would become a star after his rookie season, but unfortunately he has a major problem

- - - Updated - - -

BlackAndGold
03-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Cut him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Cut him.

his Momma is gonna be pissed...

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Mike Wallace?

slippy
03-12-2016, 01:00 PM
i'm not sure which is dumber, Bryant or the NFL's pot policy.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 01:04 PM
There goes the draft board. :chuckle:

tube517
03-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Bye Tay Tay

DHB signing looking good for depth.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Alex Kozora ‏ @ Alex_Kozora

If it is a full-year ban, that means Bryant failed a 5th and 6th test in a very short span. Ran right through 10 game ban. Wow. # Steelers

Shoes
03-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Probably why the Steelers picked up Green and are still looking at TE's.

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Probably why the Steelers picked up Green and are still looking at TE's.

The Steelers have drafted Coates in 3rd round last year for a reason...

At worst, Bell is like a another receiver....He had 850 yards as receiver in 2014....

fansince'76
03-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Cut him.

Agreed. He's used up his chances.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 01:23 PM
The Steelers have drafted Coates in 3rd round last year for a reason...

At worst, Bell is like a another receiver....He had 850 yards as receiver in 2014....

Green is pretty much a big WR, probably the faster than all wideouts on the team. TE in the draft. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Green is pretty much a big WR, probably the faster than all wideouts on the team.

The offense is fine...The defense on the other hand.....

Buckinnuts
03-12-2016, 01:26 PM
if i was Ben...I would kick his F'n ass after trying to help him and then tell the steelers to cut him...he can hang out with josh gordon, ricky williams...etc

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:29 PM
The steelers have no advantage to cut Bryant right now.....

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Shoes
03-12-2016, 01:37 PM
The steelers have no advantage to cut Bryant right now.....

and none to keep him. We are two months past the end of the season and he failed, as it seems two drug test. Time to move on.

tube517
03-12-2016, 01:40 PM
They need to ban the #10 jersey too.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Good point! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:42 PM
and none to keep him. We are two months past the end of the season and he failed, as it seems two drug test. Time to move on.

It would be like a reward for Bryant since he could have 5 millions on the open market in 2017 on a one-year contract.

Devilsdancefloor
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
maube we can trade with the browns and get a additional 5th round pick ugh WTF good bye good riddance all the talent in the world 0 brains

teegre
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Soooo... are we still going to trade Wheaton???

:stirthepot:

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:45 PM

The number 10 is not always a bad thing for the steelers.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/136/files/2010/12/holmes1.jpg

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 01:46 PM
You gotta be ******** kidding me

My thought exactly. What a f'king idiot!

Shoes
03-12-2016, 01:46 PM
It would be like a reward for Bryant since he could have 5 millions on the open market in 2017 on a one-year contract.

The problem is this kid couldn't stay clean two months after the season ended, what's he going to do with a year of doing nothing?

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 01:49 PM
The problem is this kid couldn't stay clean two months after the season ended, what's he going to do with a year of doing nothing?

The steelers have nothing to lose to keep Bryant.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 01:54 PM
The steelers have nothing to lose to keep Bryant.

I agree, I think the Steelers will hang onto Bryant and get him some much needed help...

teegre
03-12-2016, 02:01 PM
I'll bring this name up again... now that the timing is much better:

R3: Braxton Miller

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 02:08 PM

I'd still be against a WR in round 3. Coates will step in to Martavis' spot. That's why we drafted him. Take a WR in round 4 at the earliest.

86WARD
03-12-2016, 02:13 PM
WTF...

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 02:21 PM
guess its time to start looking at mid/late round WR's ... if this is true they should wash their hands of him #thisisntCleveland

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2016, 02:24 PM
6 failed tests? lets trade him.

Ugh, the curse of jersey #10 lives. This is why you dont trade good kids like Wheaton when you have a bad apple on the team....

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 02:28 PM
guess its time to start looking at mid/late round WR's ...

especially if that WR can also return punts and kickoffs well...

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Fuckin' idiot. Making a lot of money in professional sports is not the same thing as being a rapper.

I guess it doesn't do us any harm to keep him until his contract is up, but ... wow. What a fool.

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Fuckin' idiot. Making a lot of money in professional sports is not the same thing as being a rapper.

I guess it doesn't do us any harm to keep him until his contract is up, but ... wow. What a fool.

other than he is around other players that can be easily influenced .

if he isnt going to help you he is essentially hurting you , when you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem ...

Mojouw
03-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Mike Wallace?

My first thought after reading this. Wallace isn't going to get much on the open market.

Let's get the band back together.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 03:12 PM

R1: Eli Apple CB Ohio St
R2: Vonn Bell S Ohio St
R3: Braxton Miller WR Ohio St
R4: Nick Vannett TE Ohio St
R6: Cardale Jones QB Ohio St
R7: Tyvis Powell FS Ohio St
R7: Chase Farris OG Ohio St

katmandu
03-12-2016, 03:13 PM
You gotta be ******** kidding meMy sediments exactly !

How F**KING GD STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SELFISH LITTLE PRICK !!!!!!!!

Mojouw
03-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Before we all crucify Martavis, remember how the league "got" Josh Gordon. Someone texted that he had A beer on a personal travel flight during the off-season and they met him at the destination gate. Tests positive for alcohol and gets banned for a year.

Look, Bryant is clearly a dumb-ass. It was pretty much why he dropped as far as he did in the draft. I'm not defending him - at all. But I do hold out hope that some of what the NFL did is going to come out as mickey mouse BS and maybe he gets another second chance.

Seriously doubt it though.

Count Steeler
03-12-2016, 03:14 PM
What a shame. Stepped up his game in the playoffs, with one of the most amazing catches of all time.

Talent to spare, brains, not so much.

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 03:20 PM
other than he is around other players that can be easily influenced .

if he isnt going to help you he is essentially hurting you , when you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem ...

I don't know how many other players are going to look at him and think, "Wow! Look at that guy! We're all making a ton of money and trying to win a championship, and he's over there getting suspended all the time and not getting paid. I want to listen to HIM!"

It may be a moot point anyway. If he has a year and a half away from football, what do you think he's going to be doing? That's right, smoking weed. He clearly is not able to make it even a month or two each offseason without failing multiple drug tests, so a year-long suspension probably means he's just not coming back.

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 03:27 PM

tube517
03-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Before we all crucify Martavis, remember how the league "got" Josh Gordon. Someone texted that he had A beer on a personal travel flight during the off-season and they met him at the destination gate. Tests positive for alcohol and gets banned for a year.

Look, Bryant is clearly a dumb-ass. It was pretty much why he dropped as far as he did in the draft. I'm not defending him - at all. But I do hold out hope that some of what the NFL did is going to come out as mickey mouse BS and maybe he gets another second chance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/12/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers/81693628/

http://nfltraderumors.co/breaking-steelers-wr-martavis-bryant-facing-season-long-suspension/

Tom Pelissero of USA Today reports that following the news that he’s facing a year-long suspension for violations of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, Steelers WR Martavis Bryant will check into rehab and undergo evaluation for depression issues.
“We’re all stunned, me included,” one Bryant’s agent, Brian Fettner, said on Saturday. “We clearly miscalculated the issue. His isn’t a party issue. It’s a coping issue and a depression issue, and he’s got to take care of it.”

Fettner confirmed Bryant is appealing the ban, though getting it overturned is seen as a long shot. It stems from multiple missed drug tests, Fettner said, while also acknowledging Bryant has a problem with marijuana.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Bryant’s latest violation may have come from something other than a positive marijuana test

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/zz0xmtq0zmzlymjkmte2mwrizwuwyjiwyty4ndqxmzjmna-e1457815391317.jpeg?w=214

It was widely reported last August that the NFL suspended Steelers receiver Martavis Bryant because he failed multiple marijuana tests. His latest predicament suggests a violation for something other than a positive marijuana test.

The three possibilities are: (1) a positive test for something other than marijuana; (2) failure to cooperate with testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements under the policy or failure to cooperate with the terms of his treatment plan; or (3) at least two separate positive marijuana tests.

The intermediate 10-game suspension applies only to a single positive test for marijuana while in Stage Three of the substance-abuse program. So with Bryant skipping from four games to a full year, it means he allegedly violated the policy without testing positive for marijuana, again.

Bryant has appealed the suspension. If the suspension becomes official, the NFL likely will release more information about what specifically caused it.

It could have been something as simple as missing one of the many tests he now has to take while in Stage Three of the program. Or it may have been a positive test for a banned substance other than marijuana.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/12/bryants-latest-violation-may-have-come-from-something-other-than-a-positive-marijuana-test/

zulater
03-12-2016, 03:39 PM
I agree, I think the Steelers will hang onto Bryant and get him some much needed help...

Been there done that, he's beyond help if the status quo is maintained.. I say cut him. Probably the only chance he has to ever straighten out is to hit rock bottom. Maybe he can do a Chris Carter and get turned around when the rug is completely pulled out from under him? I doubt it though. But regardless let him be someone else's problem. He's unreliable.

One other thing for those that claim reefer isn't addictive. Really? This guy has thrown away millions of dollars and most all respect because he needs to get stoned. If that's not an addict what is?

zulater
03-12-2016, 03:47 PM
6 failed tests? lets trade him.

Ugh, the curse of jersey #10 lives. This is why you dont trade good kids like Wheaton when you have a bad apple on the team....

Who's going to trade for a player facing a year suspension who's additionally a longshot to pass the protocol in place to get reinstated?

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Who's going to trade for a player facing a year suspension who's additionally a longshot to pass the protocol in place to get reinstated?

he still has multiple years left on his contract. we dont necessarily have to do it now

teegre
03-12-2016, 04:03 PM
R1: Eli Apple CB Ohio St
R2: Vonn Bell S Ohio St
R3: Braxton Miller WR Ohio St
R4: Nick Vannett TE Ohio St
R6: Cardale Jones QB Ohio St
R7: Tyvis Powell FS Ohio St
R7: Chase Farris OG Ohio St

I would actually be fine with an "all Ohio State" draft.

Add in DT/DE Adolphus Washington, and it's an A+ draft.

katmandu
03-12-2016, 04:04 PM
This is on the level of PacMan Jones F'ING STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Who's going to trade for a player facing a year suspension who's additionally a longshot to pass the protocol in place to get reinstated?Kick his ass to the curb, swallow the LOSSES and move on from this horribly SELFISH MF'ER !

zulater
03-12-2016, 04:11 PM
I can't remember who, but I remember one of the Steeler beat writers claimed the Steelers were really marveling at the improvement Sammy Coates started showing in practice towards the end of the season. Something to the effect that they feel he can be a special player in short order. Anyway I'm glad we picked him last year and look forward to seeing him develop.

I think the Steelers are ready for this and can deal with it without much problem. The one who has the real problem is Martavis who quite likely has squandered what could have been a great NFL career. I honestly believe if the guy had the ability to stay clean he could be one of the best deep threats in the league. Maybe even the best. For his own sake I hope he figures things out. I just can't see it happening in a Steelers uniform.

steelerdude15
03-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Saw a tweet just now stating that he is going back to rehab for this and depression. I wonder if he actually does have a depression issue, if it's playing a role in him continuing to use Marijuana. I can't post the tweet because I'm using my phone, but here is a link to the person's account:

http://https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/708765193266855936

tube517
03-12-2016, 04:26 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/year-suspension-would-result-in-contract-tolling-for-steelers-wr-martavis-bryant/

stillers4me
03-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Martavis Bryant planning to check into rehab

Facing indefinite banishment for repeat violations of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Martavis Bryant will check into rehab and undergo evaluation for depression issues, one of his agents, Brian Fettner, told USA TODAY Sports.

“We’re all stunned, me included,” Fettner said, shortly after broke news of the ban Saturday. “We clearly miscalculated the issue. His isn’t a party issue. It’s a coping issue and a depression issue, and he’s got to take care of it.”.......

Fettner confirmed Bryant is appealing the ban, though getting it overturned is seen as a long shot. It stems from multiple missed drug tests, Fettner said, while also acknowledging Bryant has a problem with marijuana.

The multiple missed tests – which count the same as failed tests – explains why Bryant faces banishment for at least one year, rather than a 10-game suspension for his latest violation after serving a four-game suspension to start last season.

“This is the biggest cry for help I’ve ever seen. And that hurts. It hurts us to see,” Fettner said. “He’s 24 years old and he’s got to get right, whatever it is.

Read more @ http://www.usatoday.com/sports/

Mojouw
03-12-2016, 04:39 PM
This seems more and more like a mental health issue. The dope is a by product.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2016, 04:40 PM
yeah i find it amusing that as fans, the majority of people are so quick to label him a dumbass instead of having any semblance of thought towards
"MAYBE this is associated with mental illness." Depression would make a lot of sense. Ah, good ole America. Nice to know mental illness isnt dismissed at all

katmandu
03-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Was it weed again this time or something else.

fansince'76
03-12-2016, 04:44 PM

The multiple missed tests – which count the same as failed tests – explains why Bryant faces banishment for at least one year, rather than a 10-game suspension for his latest violation after serving a four-game suspension to start last season.

Martavis, a couple of hints from a former "head" who successfully beat a piss test back in the day with one week's notice:

http://www.natureswealthvitamins.com/supplements/images/echinacea-goldenseal-large.png http://images.costco-static.com/image/media/500-667414-847__1.jpg

Oh, and make sure to NEVER give them your first "pee" of the morning.

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 04:46 PM
yeah i find it amusing that as fans, the majority of people are so quick to label him a dumbass instead of having any semblance of thought towards
"MAYBE this is associated with mental illness." Depression would make a lot of sense. Ah, good ole America. Nice to know mental illness isnt dismissed at all

You know, it is possible to be mentally ill and a dumbass at the same time...

Shoes
03-12-2016, 04:49 PM

Those nearest him including the FO and the program he went through last year should have picked up on this somewhere along the line....and maybe they did but ignored it. I don't think one can label all depression as mental illness.

Bluecoat96
03-12-2016, 04:53 PM
I agree. Mental illness is no joke, and self medicating with such things as drugs and/or alcohol is very common. People tend to forget that the brain is a living organ just like the heart and can malfunction as well. I have grown up around mental illness and was almost not even born because my own dad attempted suicide when he was young.

That being said, I can't help but be very skeptical of Bryant's true excuse for failing more tests.

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 05:01 PM

zulater
03-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Maybe Martavis was depressed because reefer is illegal in the NFL?

Seriously though even with the guys in the program, I really don't see why the league tests them for recreational drugs out of season? What business is it of the league's what they do from the last game of the season until training camp opens?

steelerdude15
03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm waiting to make my own judgement on this until we receive more information.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Martavis Bryant wasting colossal talent, leaves Steelers scrambling

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F1231%2Fnfl_g_bry55_cr_1296 x729.jpg&w=570

At his locker in December, Martavis Bryant rose from his seat, his lanky frame unfolding like an accordion, and spoke softly but excitedly about his daughters getting snow at Christmas for the first time. He sounded like a guy who wanted to make a home in Pittsburgh. You wanted to believe it.

That’s when Bryant was a few months removed from his four-game suspension for multiple failed drug tests, and he seemed to be doing great. But whenever you talk to Bryant, you wonder about the trouble lurking. Can he get his life straightened out?

The Pittsburgh Steelers truly don’t know about that now. No one knows what to expect from Bryant after news of a looming yearlong suspension from the NFL for drug-related reasons. Bryant is appealing the suspension.

The Steelers knew the risks with Bryant when they selected him in the fourth round of the 2014 draft. He was a first-round talent branded with the NFL’s scarlet letter for draft picks: "character concern."

But watching his Lamborghini-like speed and grace on the field makes the inevitable car crash that much harder to watch.

There’s hardly a guarantee Bryant will ever play another down for the Steelers, though from what I’ve gathered, don’t expect the team to cut him. He’s still a valuable commodity if he can clean up his act. They can place him on the reserve/suspended list and hope for the best.

If he is done in Pittsburgh, 17 touchdowns in 23 games isn’t a bad risk-reward for a fourth-rounder. But that’s not the point. Bryant can have so much more. He's got top-10 receiver ability, no question.

Luckily for the Steelers, Bryant's absence won’t break the offense. Not when you have Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown. In free agency, the Steelers quickly signed Darrius Heyward-Bey and tight end Ladarius Green.

This core group of playmakers is still quite strong without him -- Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Markus Wheaton, DeAngelo Williams, Green, Sammie Coates, Heyward-Bey and Jesse James. Bell is an elite pass-catcher who can line up in the slot, and Green is more of a vertical tight end, so although the Steelers will miss Bryant’s raw playmaking, Roethlisberger has more than enough to work with.

Bryant should have been a part of it, though. He’s the classic well-intentioned young player who either doesn’t recognize the damage caused by poor decisions or simply can’t control them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/199904/martavis-bryant-wasting-colossal-talent-leaves-steelers-scrambling

silver & black
03-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Maybe Martavis was depressed because reefer is illegal in the NFL?

Seriously though even with the guys in the program, I really don't see why the league tests them for recreational drugs out of season? What business is it of the league's what they do from the last game of the season until training camp opens?

Because they are under contract?:noidea:

lipps83
03-12-2016, 06:21 PM
This seems more and more like a mental health issue. The dope is a by product.

Exactly, and people are just ready to throw him away without even trying to help the guy. Obviously there is something much more going on here.

I am kind of disgusted with how some people are reacting to this.

So far it doesn't look like it was marijuana, it was probably something else to help the guy cope with whatever is ailing him mentally. He may not even have known it was a banned substance.

zulater
03-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Because they are under contract?:noidea:

I get it. But if I'm the NFLPA I collectively bargain to get marijuana off the banned substance list. And before anyone starts accusing me of being a pothead. Nope. Not all all. I'm a CDL licensed truck driver who has to submit to random DOT drug testing. And I have no problem with that for myself and people who do what I do for a living. Same goes for police officers, firemen, healthcare workers, soldiers, etc... But athletes out of season? As long as they stay clear of the law who should care? And if they get arrested have guidelines for punishments to fit the offense.

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Exactly, and people are just ready to throw him away without even trying to help the guy. Obviously there is something much more going on here.

I am kind of disgusted with how some people are reacting to this.

So far it doesn't look like it was marijuana, it was probably something else to help the guy cope with whatever is ailing him mentally. He may not even have known it was a banned substance.

if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

However saying he may not have known whatever it was he was medicating with was banned or not is a poor excuse ..

20 seconds after reading this a quick google search of " complete list of nfl banned substances brought me this as the top result .... https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

lipps83
03-12-2016, 06:44 PM
if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

However saying he may not have known whatever it was he was medicating with was banned or not is a poor excuse ..

20 seconds after reading this a quick google search of " complete list of nfl banned substances brought me this as the top result .... https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

I didn't say it was an excuse, I am just saying if it isn't marijuana he may not have known.

Do you really think he knows what all that is? You think he is a chemistry major or something and checks the ingredients tab every time he does his shopping?

- - - Updated - - -

Pseudoephedrine.

Bitch, I got a cold. What do you want from me?

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 06:45 PM
I didn't say it was an excuse, I am just saying if it isn't marijuana he may not have known.

Do you really think he knows what all that is? You think he is a chemistry major or something and checks the ingredients tab every time he does his shopping?

its sort of their job to know

lipps83
03-12-2016, 06:49 PM
its sort of their job to know

No it isn't. It is their job to play football. If they don't play because they are suspended they don't get paid.

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 06:54 PM
No it isn't. It is their job to play football. If they don't play because they are suspended they don't get paid.

its not technically your job to drive to work either but you have to get there , to me your job is to do whatever it takes to get on the field if your a ball player ...

fail to do what is necessary or expected and you do not get on the field thus you are not doing your job ...

so while it may not be a job requirement to drive ( or in this case know what you can and can not put in your body ) if those things STOP you from getting on the field then it sort of is all ON YOU .

since he was in ( is in ) the program he had all this shit explained to him in great detail probably more than once

lipps83
03-12-2016, 07:01 PM
its not technically your job to drive to work either but you have to get there , to me your job is to do whatever it takes to get on the field if your a ball player ...

fail to do what is necessary or expected and you do not get on the field thus you are not doing your job ...

so while it may not be a job requirement to drive ( or in this case know what you can and can not put in your body ) if those things STOP you from getting on the field then it sort of is all ON YOU .

since he was in ( is in ) the program he had all this shit explained to him in great detail probably more than once

I get you.

Who cares if the dude is depressed and trying to cope, he just cost the steelers a year. The selfish prick.....

Hey, anyone remember that Chiefs player that was depressed and didn't have a way to deal with it? Was he in the program?

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 07:07 PM
I get you.

Who cares if the dude is depressed and trying to cope, he just cost the steelers a year. The selfish prick.....

Hey, anyone remember that Chiefs player that was depressed and didn't have a way to deal with it? Was he in the program?

see my first line in the response to you on that part ..... if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

not trying to be insensitive to his needs if he is fighting depression , but there is a proper way to handle the situation and clearly he was taking an alternative path ( one deemed by the league to be inappropriate )

I hope he gets the help he needs , I hope he is able to get it under control , I also hope he is able to return to play the game ... but I doubt it will be this year and I also doubt it will be in Pittsburgh

lipps83
03-12-2016, 07:16 PM
see my first line in the response to you on that part ..... if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

not trying to be insensitive to his needs if he is fighting depression , but there is a proper way to handle the situation and clearly he was taking an alternative path ( one deemed by the league to be inappropriate )

I hope he gets the help he needs , I hope he is able to get it under control , I also hope he is able to return to play the game ... but I doubt it will be this year and I also doubt it will be in Pittsburgh

I know you feel that way, my frustration is not with you, you are just the dude replying to my posts.

It saddens me that 'fans' are so quick to blame and point the finger when the only thing they really know is just that the guy is suspended again. They don't know why, they only assume that they do. There is much more than just marijuana going on here. He isn't Johnny Manziel.

Who, by the way despite his completely wreckless life, has yet to be suspended by the league. Some dude who might actually be trying to cope in his own way with a depression issue, gone for a year.

Fuck you NFL.

ALLD
03-12-2016, 07:20 PM
The guy will have a lifetime of regrets that are only beginning. It's too bad. He beat the odds of making it to the NFL, but he doesn't have the character to achieve.

His goal was to get enough $ to do what he wanted for as far as he can see into the future. He won't need to work for awhile, but he will waste away and never be one of the best WRs in the NFL, even though he has the talent to do so. It's not a priority in his mind, so we should get over it and move on.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Working women and men in this country lose their job if they fail their drug test. Bryant has failed his may times, he should be fired too. You want to blame the fans, I blame the FO, the team doctors, psychologist and coaches. I wish him all the best.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 07:34 PM
No. If he is actually trying to cope with depression, you don't wash your hands of him. YOU have to help him. There are no 3 STRIKES YOUR OUT.

I just can't believe there are so many ignorant people in the world.

And some wonder why some people choose suicide. Because of pieces of shit like some on this board could give a fuck. It's unfortunately the only way some find rest.

There are no games when it comes to depression. Even if he is falling on that explanation as a crutch, you have to see it through and make sure.

Fucking assholes.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2016, 07:41 PM
No. If he is actually trying to cope with depression, you don't wash your hands of him. YOU have to help him. There are no 3 STRIKES YOUR OUT.

And some wonder why some people choose suicide. Because of pieces of shit like some on this board could give a fuck. It's unfortunately the only way some find rest.

There are no games when it comes to depression. Even if he is falling on that explanation as a crutch, you have to see it through and make sure.

Fucking assholes.

Preach.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, it is possible to be mentally ill and a dumbass at the same time...

yeaaaaaah. i think you would be well off avoiding depressed people.

zulater
03-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Working women and men in this country lose their job if they fail their drug test. Bryant has failed his may times, he should be fired too. You want to blame the fans, I blame the FO, the team doctors, psychologist and coaches. I wish him all the best.

How about we blame Martavis? Just because one suffers from depression doesn't absolve them of all responsibility. I truly sympathize with the man if he indeed suffers from depression. Or even if it's just that he's afflicted by addiction. But in the end as much as you want to try to be your brothers keeper we each have to bear responsibility for our own being.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 07:47 PM
How about we blame Martavis? Just because one suffers from depression doesn't absolve them of all responsibility. I truly sympathize with the man if he indeed suffers from depression. Or even if it's just that he's afflicted by addiction. But in the end as much as you want to try to be your brothers keeper we each have to bear responsibility for our own being.

Well that's a given, but if Bryant sucked as a player no one would have given a rats ass about him including the FO. Being a great WR is the only reason he wasn't booted.

fansince'76
03-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Well that's a given, but if Bryant sucked as a player no one would have given a rats ass about him including the FO. Being a great WR is the only reason he wasn't booted.

Exactly. Look how quickly Sweed became a pariah.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 07:54 PM

I know you aren't speaking for me, are you?

Steeldude
03-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Haha... Typical pro athlete of today. Get rid of the sack of shit.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 07:58 PM
I know you aren't speaking for me, are you?

If you know I'm not speaking to you why are you asking?

zulater
03-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Fucking assholes.

Judgemental much? :lol: A bit of the pot calling the kettle black here no? They judge him and you judge them!

Give it day or two find out what can be found out and see where it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Judgemental much? :lol: A bit of the pot calling the kettle black here no? They judge him and you judge them!

Give it day or two find out what can be found out and see where it goes.

Damn right and I would do it all again.

Bluecoat96
03-12-2016, 08:08 PM
http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/03/12/agent-missed-tests-not-failed-doom-bryant/

If this is the reason, I'll be interested to see how things play out.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 08:10 PM
http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/03/12/agent-missed-tests-not-failed-doom-bryant/

Well, it's quite obvious the guy is a piece of shit. Cut him.....

zulater
03-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Damn right and I would do it all again.

Good for you.

Ever consider this blindsided people? Fans reacting to limited information tend to initially react negatively.It's a human thing. Turns out were not all perfect. As more information becomes available and if that information indicates genuine depression I imagine most will come to view Bryant with more empathy.

Shoes
03-12-2016, 08:25 PM

That just may happen.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Good for you.

Ever consider this blindsided people? Fans reacting to limited information tend to initially react negatively.It's a human thing. Turns out were not all perfect. As more information becomes available and if that information indicates genuine depression I imagine most will come to view Bryant with more empathy.

It doesn't matter that people were blindsided. It's a real, every day situation that some people have to deal with. Why can't empathy be the initial response? Depression is serious shit and it doesn't help any when douchebags that don't know anything at all about a situation AUTOMATICALLY jump to a conclusion. That shit right there is what causes people that are depressed to spiral further.

That is the problem.

It doesn't matter that Martavis Bryant plays in the NFL. Depression fucks people up everywhere in life and IT DOESN'T JUST GO AWAY.

zulater
03-12-2016, 08:33 PM

The Union really needs to step up and rectify the CBA on the issue of non performance enhancing drugs. And there certainly is nuance between a missed test and a failed test. A simple hair sample could determine if Bryant actually was using in the time period of the missed test. ( a 1.5 inch hair follicle would detect thc for a period of over 3 months)

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter that people were blindsided. It's a real, every day situation that some people have to deal with. Why can't empathy be the initial response? Depression is serious shit and it doesn't help any when douchebags that don't know anything at all about a situation AUTOMATICALLY jump to a conclusion. That shit right there is what causes people that are depressed to spiral further.

That is the problem.

It doesn't matter that Martavis Bryant plays in the NFL. Depression fucks people up everywhere in life and IT DOESN'T JUST GO AWAY.

You got anger issues.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 08:36 PM
The Steelers have known about Bryant’s suspension since before the combine, tweets Albert Breer of NFL.com, so today’s news didn’t come as a major surprise.

http://www.profootballrumors.com

Shoes
03-12-2016, 08:38 PM
The Steelers have known about Bryant’s suspension since before the combine, tweets Albert Breer of NFL.com, so today’s news didn’t come as a major surprise.

I'm sure they did, just like the last time.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 08:40 PM
The Union really needs to step up and rectify the CBA on the issue of non performance enhancing drugs. And there certainly is nuance between a missed test and a failed test. A simple hair sample could determine if Bryant actually was using in the time period of the missed test. ( a 1.5 inch hair follicle would detect thc for a period of over 3 months)

- - - Updated - - -

You got anger issues.

Yeah, because I have real world experience with this. Not much bothers me more than kicking someone that is already down, and depressed. It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help improve a situation.

It does let you know who the assholes in life that won't think twice about kicking someone already down are.

zulater
03-12-2016, 08:41 PM

I wonder when his agents found out then?

zulater
03-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Yeah, because I have real world experience with this. Not much bothers me more than kicking someone that is already down, and depressed. It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help improve a situation.

It does let you know who the assholes in life that won't think twice about kicking someone already down are.

I think most people have real life experience with these sort of issues. Suicide and depression touch most every life sooner or later. Has mine more than once sorry to say Most just don't personalize it with people outside their own orb. Plus it hasn't been determined as of yet what Martavis's issue's are or aren't. I think we need to wait and see where it goes.

That all said I understand the initial reaction of anger from many fans. We see athletes as privileged people who've been gifted by the almighty or fate or whatever, and when talent is wasted or squandered it's frustrating to those of us who wish to have been similarly privileged and were not. Add in of course the disappointment of not having our favorite team at it's apex due to something we feel was preventable and self inflicted. Obviously that oversimplifies the humanity of the matter but remember sports is life's toy department. We focus so much (too much) on sports to get away from the general shittyness of the world, and or our own lives, so when our pleasure gets diminished due to things of this nature we don't always put our best foot forward right away.

lipps83
03-12-2016, 09:50 PM
I think most people have real life experience with these sort of issues. Suicide and depression touch most every life sooner or later. Has mine more than once sorry to say Most just don't personalize it with people outside their own orb. Plus it hasn't been determined as of yet what Martavis's issue's are or aren't. I think we need to wait and see where it goes.

That all said I understand the initial reaction of anger from many fans. We see athletes as privileged people who've been gifted by the almighty or fate or whatever, and when talent is wasted or squandered it's frustrating to those of us who wish to have been similarly privileged and were not. Add in of course the disappointment of not having our favorite team at it's apex due to something we feel was preventable and self inflicted. Obviously that oversimplifies the humanity of the matter but remember sports is life's toy department. We focus so much (too much) on sports to get away from the general shittyness of the world, and or our own lives, so when our pleasure gets diminished due to things of this nature we don't always put our best foot forward right away.

I understand the initial reaction as well, but I always try to put myself in the least unfortunates shoes. AND I WILL ALWAYS STICK UP FOR THEM. ALWAYS.

I try to look at it from Bryant's perspective, if he is indeed dealing with some depression issues. You don't want to be a public figure, but you are unfortunately due to your abilities and chosen profession. The one thing you have used your entire life to cope with the depression you have is gone, because league rules. The stuff you are able to take doesn't work, because it doesn't really work. At all. The things that do work are unfortunately illegal (see John Hopkins research on PTSD depression therapy with psilocybin and MDMA). The things you can take just try to put a bandaid on a gaping wound.

So anyway, you miss some tests for whatever reasons they may be. You haven't smoked, but you also didn't take the test.

News story comes out, and you already know what people are going to be thinking about you and nobody even has half of the truth.

Cut him.

if i was Ben...I would kick his F'n ass after trying to help him and then tell the steelers to cut him...he can hang out with josh gordon, ricky williams...etc

F*cking dumbass!!

maube we can trade with the browns and get a additional 5th round pick ugh WTF good bye good riddance all the talent in the world 0 brains

My thought exactly. What a f'king idiot!

And that's all just from the first page.

If he does indeed suffer from depression, none of that is going to help him. He is losing support when he most needs it. These types of things just make the issue worse especially because he knows this is going on even though nobody has the full story. Guilty until proven innocent, the American way. No time for justice when you get everything you need from the nightly news.

He absolutely could be lying about all of this too. Of course that crossed my mind. If he is lying about depression, that is the lowest of the low. However, even if he is lying and just doesn't want to be in as much trouble, I owe it to him and to all people, the benefit of the doubt until I have all of the facts.

Depression doesn't give a fuck who you are or how much money you have.

Famous Actor (Robin Williams RIP)
Famous Musician (Keith Emerson RIP)
Famous Athlete (Junior Seau RIP)

BigNastyDefense
03-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Here's the way I am looking at this:

If he failed a test for marijuana, he's an idiot, even if he's depressed he is still an idiot.

Why do I say this? Because he IS privileged. He's making a lot more money than most of us do, a whole lot more. He has access to mental health help that most of us cannot afford to get, and the Steelers/NFL/NFLPA would have probably gotten him the help that he needed.

I've had depression touch my life. I truly hope that Bryant gets the help he needs. However, for some people they have to hit rock bottom to do whatever it is they need to do. I HOPE this is rock bottom for him, because if it isn't we won't just not see him in a Steelers uniform again, we might never see him in an NFL uniform again, and who knows how far he might fall?

The Steelers are an employer. They have no obligation to keep Bryant on this team. At most jobs, you fail a drug test you get fired. At my job, you don't get a second chance. He's been given five before missing an entire year (at minimum).

As for the person who brought up Josh Gordon. If you remember, he was originally suspended a year under the old policy. The NFL had no obligation to shorten his suspension to ten games, but they did and in that agreement Gordon agreed to use no substances of abuse, including alcohol. There was no set expiration of this agreement. He ASSUMED since the season ended, he could drink. Turns out he couldn't, you know what they say about when people ASSUME something. He never bothered to make sure of anything, and that was solely on him. The NFL cut him a break by shortening his suspension to fall under the new policy. Legally, they didn't have to do that.

BigBen2004
03-13-2016, 12:10 AM
Anyone else think that this played a role in DHB's new contract?

I love DHB, and I'm so glad we signed him back. But, I can't help but think the front office made sure it happened, specifically because of this.
Other reasons too, like his talent. But, still, they signed him quick.

Butch
03-13-2016, 03:20 AM

Santonio was the Super Bowl MVP and he got traded, not so sure that being Great is the only reason.

Butch
03-13-2016, 03:28 AM
And yes when I read the headline I too thought cut him. The 1st time I heard of him having depression was later in this post...nothing about depression in his last suspension, so yes I can completely understand the way people felt about him.

I also agree that the leagues stand on dope needs to change, especially when a team can cheat and get a competitive edge that pays dividends for years to come and yet dope is a suspendable offense.

Bluecoat96
03-13-2016, 06:26 AM
I don't see why the league should change their stance on recreational drug use. 30 out of 32 teams are based in areas where weed smoking for fun is illegal. Until that changes, there's no way in hell the league or the union does anything. Nor should they, IMHO.

BlackAndGold
03-13-2016, 07:00 AM
If he cleans and truly is dealing with depression, I hope the Rooney's stick by him and make sure he gets help.

Depression kills, just because someone has money, doesn't mean they're happy.

BlackAndGold
03-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Btw, with Eli Rogers and Shakim Phillips(who has been working out with AB) coming back, the WR position is fine Imo.

Anyone that knows me back at SF knows that I was big on Coates, and said he'd be the future #2 on this team. His combination of height, strength, speed, has all the makings of a star.

86WARD
03-13-2016, 07:22 AM

They say he skipped two tests...can't really get around that if that is true.

BigNastyDefense
03-13-2016, 07:52 AM
I don't see why the league should change their stance on recreational drug use. 30 out of 32 teams are based in areas where weed smoking for fun is illegal. Until that changes, there's no way in hell the league or the union does anything. Nor should they, IMHO.

I completely agree. It's illegal, by federal law. Like I said, the players all have access to the best medical care you can get in this country, including mental health. If they choose to self medicate with a banned substance, that's on them.

It is not the NFL's job to comment on this country's policies on drugs, and by no longer testing for marijuana that's exactly what they would be doing.

ALLD
03-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Do the fans really want a bunch of stoners in the NFL? Most people do not smoke, but those that do think everybody does.

86WARD
03-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Do the fans really want a bunch of stoners in the NFL? Most people do not smoke, but those that do think everybody does.

I'd be willing to bet that well over 50% of the NFL are already a bunch of "stoners".

stillers4me
03-13-2016, 08:25 AM

stillers4me
03-13-2016, 08:40 AM
I have one "nephew" (once you are in our family, you are always in our family) who is currently in prison for the second time for crimes committed due to heroin addiction. He is 26 years old and was dishonorably discharged from the Marines, spent over a year in jail and is now right back there.

Yesterday, my step-nephew passed from brain injuries due to a car accident in Wellington, CO 2 weeks ago. Nobody will ever know why, 3 months after he was released from jail (for the second or third time from drug charges), why he was driving his mother's car in the next state and merged onto a a busy highway without stopping at the stop sign. He was hit by a semi. He was 31 years old. My step-brother has nearly killed himself over the last decade trying to save his son's life over drug addiction and watched helplessly as his son lay unresponsive from massive head injuries. Thank God that nobody else was injured.

One nephew is in prison, one is dead. Prison may very well have save Joe's life, not to mention the charges are gun related and him being in prison may have saved someone else's life. Martavis Bryant is an addict, and no doubt depressed and messed up about how it's affecting the only thing he knows how to do and how it affects his family.

I hope he can beat this demon and come back strong, whether it's with the Steelers or not. His life may depend on it.

st33lersguy
03-13-2016, 12:24 PM
If he was depressed, he should have sought help, not break the law and abuse a drug that is harmful to your brain after getting into previous trouble for abusing the same drug. At this point he is a taller version of sansmokio without a super bowl winning catch. I say cut him

stillers4me
03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
If he was depressed, he should have sought help, not break the law and abuse a drug that is harmful to your brain after getting into previous trouble for abusing the same drug. At this point he is a taller version of sansmokio without a super bowl winning catch. I say cut him

When someone is depressed, they do not have the same kind of rational thoughts as the rest of us. Add an addiction problem on top of that, and you've got some really big stuff to deal with.

86WARD
03-13-2016, 12:40 PM

Its not that easy...and let's not act like Snatonio Holmes was this nightmare of a player...he was a pretty good player and if he kept his head on straight and stayed in Pittsburgh, he probably would've been the second receiver in team history...stats wise.

Mojouw
03-13-2016, 01:52 PM
They say he skipped two tests...can't really get around that if that is true.

They also claim he took and passed a non-NFL drug test during the same period. I buy the depression thing. I'm assuming dude got to a point where he couldn't get off his couch on his own.

I just think that the NFL, media, and fans (myself included) treats this young man rather unfairly. Yes, I realize they make oodles of money - or at least some of them do. But look at the discussion on Manziel: "bust", "failure", "over drafted", "mistake" and it is going to be hard for another franchise to take a chance on a "draft bust", etc. None of that is true. It may be one day, but until he gets past his alcoholism we will never know how or if his talent translates to the NFL. I suspect that it would. Good lord, if he can rip up college and show flashes in the NFL as a fall down drunk - imagine a sober Manziel? I think both Akili Smith and Jamarcus Russell have admitted that they boozed their way out of the league. But I don't remember reading any (and I mean zero) stories about their teams trying to help them sort out their lives. Just cut them, label it another failed draft pick, and move on.

The NFL really doesn't care about any of their players. Few franchises do. Since this is a Steelers board, I will acknowledge that the Steelers have gone above and beyond for several players and to the best of my knowledge do more than most teams for their own. But the majority of franchises, at least appear to, be concerned with "what can you do for me right now?". Oh, you're hurt? Screw you. Oh, you have mental health problems? Can you still play? Fine. Don't care - handle it on your own. Can't play? Cut. See you. Locker room cancer. Substance abuse? Can you avoid suspension? Then that's all we care about. Have fun trying not to spiral out of control.

Even the penalty policies are negatives for the players. Game suspensions? Agree. Taking away pay? Fine. But banning them from the team facilities and working out is just dumb and frankly dangerous. Think about it. These are young men who are having mental health and substance abuse problems even when they are surrounded by the regimented and rigorous structure of an NFL franchise. Now remove them from that structure. They are often younger than 27 and living in a city far from their original homes and families. How is then making them isolated, alone, and unable to access the support structures offered by their NFL team's going to improve anything?

But you know what the NFL penalties do always take in to account? Broad spectrum fan reaction. Feed the $$$$ to the bottom line.

"Stupid young dude getting paid all that money to play a game I would sell my first born child to have a chance to play for a living. No damn sense getting caught smoking dope or being in the club after 2. Why can't he get his act together? If I broke the rules like that at my job, I wouldn't even get my far smaller paycheck then his privileged millionaire athlete paycheck. Damn straight he should get suspended. Cut his unloyal, untrustworthy butt, and see how he likes working for a living like the rest of us! You can't let the team down like that! These punks playing the game today have no sense. It didn't ever used to be like this."

The NFL knows that most people who spend big $$$$ on the league agree with some version of the above. So they suspend and fine these guys. And the PR cycle is satisfied and more meat for the grinder. But, hey the league made 11 billion last year. Everything's fine!

I'll still watch every Sunday. I'll still religiously follow the off season. But each year, I find myself more and more sympathetic to the players' arguments that the NFL chews them up and spits them out as broken men.

dduc996
03-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Bottom line.....your not in college anymore , your not a boy anymore - your a grown man with grown up responsibilities , not to mention a freaking millionaire.
GROW THE FLOCK UP !!!!

Count Steeler
03-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Let's not forget he already spent time in rehab. Maybe they only helped him with his weed problem, and not his depression? Unlikely. If it was a rehab place worth any snot, they would have worked on the causes and not just the symptoms.

tube517
03-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Let's not forget he already spent time in rehab. Maybe they only helped him with his weed problem, and not his depression? Unlikely. If it was a rehab place worth any snot, they would have worked on the causes and not just the symptoms.
He went to John Lucas rehab center or worked with him. Lucas hit rock bottom in the NBA. One of the more famous rehab sports figures.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
03-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Bottom line.....your not in college anymore , your not a boy anymore - your a grown man with grown up responsibilities , not to mention a freaking millionaire.
GROW THE FLOCK UP !!!!

Let's not forget a father of 2 kids.

Steeldude
03-14-2016, 03:51 AM

Bryant.

The NFL should be even tougher on their policy regarding recreational drugs.

steelerkitty
03-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Good for you.

I agree with you sir. None here are perfect. And we all are reacting to this without all the facts. Now maybe he took Weed, maybe not. Maybe it was some other type of Drug, or maybe it was some sort of Masking agent to try and hide his weed use. Who knows. But one thing I do know is that the agents for Bryant saying he is suffering from Depression is complete BS. I'm sure we are gonna hear the word " Bypolar " any day now. Which is complete BS.

Bryant has a Chemical dependency problem. And it will likely cost him this season, or at the least part of it after the appeal. First thing I would do is take a Vote of the Players with 3 or more years experience, and ask them should the team keep him, and allow him to try and get help. If they Vote yes, then give him a final shot, but bring the Hammer down on how the team will expect him to handle his off-season activities, and who he is running around with. If the vote is No...then Cut him Immediately. But wish him the best going forward. An action like cutting Bryant just might be the final kick in the Butt and a eye-opening thing that could straighten him out. And it will also finally make him aware just how badly his actions have let down his team, and his teammates who have likely had his back in all those other failed tests.

zulater
03-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Bryant.

Why? Someone's life riding on NFL players performance? As long as they show up to practice and games sober and keep themselves out of legal trouble what difference does it make what they do in their spare time?

Should they alcohol to players too?

I'm not pro drug. But the world's changed. Our last three Presidents all smoked weed in their youth. Our next one will have too no doubt.

steelerkitty
03-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Why? Someone's life riding on NFL players performance? As long as they show up to practice and games sober and keep themselves out of legal trouble what difference does it make what they do in their spare time?

Should they alcohol to players too?

I'm not pro drug. But the world's changed. Our last three Presidents all smoked weed in their youth. Our next one will have too no doubt.

Yes but they didn't when they were in public office. You and I might agree what a player does away from the team, or during off-season is their own business. But the NFL is NOT a private sector business. They have their own CBA rules. And you may not agree with their drug policies, but that is Irrelevant. The players all know the rules BEFORE they ever are drafted, and sign their contracts. If they don't agree with them, then don't play football. Go sell fried Chicken at Churches, and use all the weed you want when off the clock.

Period, end of story.

zulater
03-14-2016, 09:39 AM
I agree with you sir. None here are perfect. And we all are reacting to this without all the facts. Now maybe he took Weed, maybe not. Maybe it was some other type of Drug, or maybe it was some sort of Masking agent to try and hide his weed use. Who knows. But one thing I do know is that the agents for Bryant saying he is suffering from Depression is complete BS. I'm sure we are gonna hear the word " Bypolar " any day now. Which is complete BS.

Bryant has a Chemical dependency problem. And it will likely cost him this season, or at the least part of it after the appeal. First thing I would do is take a Vote of the Players with 3 or more years experience, and ask them should the team keep him, and allow him to try and get help. If they Vote yes, then give him a final shot, but bring the Hammer down on how the team will expect him to handle his off-season activities, and who he is running around with. If the vote is No...then Cut him Immediately. But wish him the best going forward. An action like cutting Bryant just might be the final kick in the Butt and a eye-opening thing that could straighten him out. And it will also finally make him aware just how badly his actions have let down his team, and his teammates who have likely had his back in all those other failed tests.

I don't know that we can claim he doesn't suffer from depression. But you could be right and this all could be contrived by the agents to gain sympathy and help in their appeal. They say he passed an insurance drug test right about the same time as he skipped the NFL test. This is supposed to lend credence to the position he skipped the NFL test needlessly therefore something other than fear of a dirty test (such as depression) was behind Martavis to missing his test. But the agents could be misleading us.I'm sure they knew when the insurance test was going to be administered, so a matter of a couple days could easily be the difference between a clean and dirty test. There's stuff they can take to clean their system and a pee later in the day as opposed t your first piss can make a huge difference.

Anyway if the agents are telling the truth and Bryant hasn't actually smoked any weed since the offseason it can be easily proved with a hair follicle. Hair follicle's never lie. They can't be fooled with masking agents. A 1.5 inch hair follicle would tell you if Martavis has used any illicit in the previous 90 days. In other words this would cover the entire window of the offseason to date. So if they do this it might not change leagues stance but I think it would mobilize the union and public opinion to their side. So if this happens I will buy into their story. Because again a hair follicle will not lie or mislead. And if they don;t offer this sort of evidence then I'll probably tend to believe as you do that the depression story is made up and he has in fact smoked weed this offseason and does so because he's weak willed to resist or was foolish enough to believe he could fool the system.

zulater
03-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Yes but they didn't when they were in public office. You and I might agree what a player does away from the team, or during off-season is their own business. But the NFL is NOT a private sector business. They have their own CBA rules. And you may not agree with their drug policies, but that is Irrelevant. The players all know the rules BEFORE they ever are drafted, and sign their contracts. If they don't agree with them, then don't play football. Go sell fried Chicken at Churches, and use all the weed you want when off the clock.

Period, end of story.

The drug policy also comes into the umbrella of the CBA. I predict the NFLPA will try to amend the NFL's policy on marijuana as more and more states legalize it. Particularly when some claim weed helps them to cope with NFL induced injuries. NFL doctors administer toradol routinely for pain management. Toradol is a much more dangerous drug with more severe long term effects than medical marijuana. I think the league will soften their stance on marijuana within the next decade.

zulater
03-14-2016, 10:17 AM
I wonder if a player ever gave thought to retiring after the last game of the season and then un-retiring in July to beat offseason drug testing? :chuckle:

tube517
03-14-2016, 10:33 AM
I wonder if a player ever gave thought to retiring after the last game of the season and then un-retiring in July to beat offseason drug testing? :chuckle:

http://images.classicalite.com/data/images/full/16098/ricky-williams.jpg?w=600 Why - whatever are you talking about? :chuckle::smokin:

Rotorhead
03-14-2016, 01:25 PM
After living in Denver, I am so sick of pot. I don't nor have I ever smoked. I don't care what others do, but when it affects what I am able to do outdoors it infuriates me. Can't drive in traffic with the windows down without some asshole around me toking up and having to smell that shit, can't go to a concert anymore at all without getting a contact high, can't go to Washington Park (if you lived here you would know what I am talking about) with my 4 year old daughter without some group of assholes smoking it up. Hell I was at the light rail station a couple days ago and some pathetic moron was toking up while waiting for the train at 7am. Having to stand in line a the store while these 2 morons tried to pay for their munchies but were too stoned to figure out how to pay . . . I dont have time for that crap. So I have no remorse for a guy thats making multiple millions to figure out a way to stay away from it. If you are dedicated to your profession, you find a way to make it work. Any job has help available for depression, drugs, alcohol, etc. All he had to do was, at the end of the season check his stoned ass into a rehab facility or talked to a doctor to help with his depression. And before any of you say it is too hard, I suffered from PTSD when returning from my 44months in Iraq, so I know what its like. But you can't tell me his mother, who lives next door, or any of his team mates didn't notice anything. He needs to drop anyone who claims to be his friend and get this shit taken care of if he hopes to ever have a career in football. You can't wait until it is too late and you are caught before you try to fix it. I hope he can fix his life, but I don't want him on this team anymore.

tube517
03-14-2016, 01:35 PM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/03/14/nfl-officially-suspends-steelers-wr-bryant-for-minimum-of-1-year/

He's not appealing.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/982894

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cdh8EqwWIAAiHHC.jpg:large

tube517
03-14-2016, 02:39 PM
6 pt difference with Bryant in the offense vs without Bryant in the offense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/14/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-3-14-16/stories/201603140141

Shoes
03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Doesn't sound very much like "depression." I don't think Colbert would have responded this way if it was.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/steelers-very-disappointed-in-martavis-bryant/

Rotorhead
03-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Sounds like the correct thing to say. Regardless if it is depression or not. It is his obligation to fix it. He has the opportunity of a lifetime, pull your head out of your ass, get the help you need, get rid of the fools you hang out with and get on with your life.

hawaiiansteeler
03-14-2016, 04:43 PM

I personally know an ex-NFL player very well and he shared with me a different perspective.

he told me that his body used to get so beat up over the course of a 16 game season that a lot of mornings it was hard to just get out of bed. his muscles used to be so sore that he smoked marijuana to help him ease the pain. and in his opinion, that was a lot better alternative than taking prescription painkillers that you end up getting addicted to and are a lot worse for your body over the long-term.

Shoes
03-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Sounds like the correct thing to say. Regardless if it is depression or not. It is his obligation to fix it. He has the opportunity of a lifetime, pull your head out of your ass, get the help you need, get rid of the fools you hang out with and get on with your life.

Colbert saying they were "very disappointed" in Bryant tells me he just loves his pot. I can't see Colbert using language like that if this kid was battling a depression issue.

tube517
03-14-2016, 05:02 PM

86WARD
03-14-2016, 05:13 PM
If it's any consolation, the cap situation is better...lol.

steelreserve
03-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I just really hope we don't make the mistake of putting Wheaton in as the #2 receiver by default. Every time we've tried that before, it hasn't worked. DHB and Coates need a bigger role than the end-of-the-bencherinos.

salamander
03-14-2016, 05:20 PM
At least we know far enough ahead of the season.

steelreserve
03-14-2016, 05:42 PM
I mean, I really don't know what to do about this guy. If we're in "win now" mode, Bryant is not going to help us this season, and no guarantees if he will beyond that. I guess it would work out nicely if he returned next year at the same time Wheaton leaves, but I don't know if you can count on that. Could we be going for (sigh) another WR in the middle rounds to plan for that eventuality?

Shoes
03-14-2016, 05:51 PM
I mean, I really don't know what to do about this guy. If we're in "win now" mode, Bryant is not going to help us this season, and no guarantees if he will beyond that. I guess it would work out nicely if he returned next year at the same time Wheaton leaves, but I don't know if you can count on that. Could we be going for (sigh) another WR in the middle rounds to plan for that eventuality?

You can count on them picking up a WR, I think they would have anyway.

hawaiiansteeler
03-14-2016, 05:54 PM
You can count on them picking up a WR, I think they would have anyway.

I agree, especially one with punt and kickoff return abilities...

zulater
03-14-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm a bit conflicted over this. Ultimately everyone is responsible for their own actions. So Martavis only has himself to blame. Whether he suffers from depression or not I have little doubt that he skipped his tests because he knew he would fail them. While he may have passed a drug test for an insurance policy that would have been a test he knew in advance the date so he could take the proper measures to clean his system up. The NFL from what I understand call you up and say see you tomorrow, where do you want to meet? So that's a huge difference.

Still I have sympathy for him, because I do believe he's addicted to weed. And addicts of any sort can fall off the bandwagon at a moments notice. It's also probably tougher on him during the offseason when the structure and support of his team isn't there. Notice that all of his NFL positives have come in the offseason. If he ever does what he needs to do to get back in the league ( a year's suspension wont help him stay clean) he should find an apartment of house within a couple miles of his teams facility, be it Pittsburgh or a new NFL city. The closer he is to the structure of a team the better off he would be I would imagine. I'd wager that when he goes home he gets around old friends with bad habits and no 6 figure job to lose in consequence for doing them. I also feel sorry for him because I think if he would have been born 5-10 years later he would have come into a league with a much more liberal policy on marijuana.

But as they say it is what it is. He knew what the rules were. Being as he went to Lucas's clinic last year I'm sure he had some sort of support system to help him through the hard times that he seemingly ignored. I'm sure a phone call for help wouldn't have gone unanswered.

tube517
03-15-2016, 09:08 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-place-wr-martavis-bryant-on-reservesuspended-by-commissioner-list/

Steelers don't seem to be in a hurry to cut him and I understand why.

He is signed through 2018, instead of 2017 due to the suspension

They can wait and see if Coates does well. If Coates flops and (a BIG IF) Bryant straightens up, he is a cheap WR for 2 years. I have doubts if he can straighten up and I hope for his sake (and his daughters) that he can.

Born2Steel
03-15-2016, 09:22 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-place-wr-martavis-bryant-on-reservesuspended-by-commissioner-list/

Steelers don't seem to be in a hurry to cut him and I understand why.

He is signed through 2018, instead of 2017 due to the suspension

They can wait and see if Coates does well. If Coates flops and (a BIG IF) Bryant straightens up, he is a cheap WR for 2 years. I have doubts if he can straighten up and I hope for his sake (and his daughters) that he can.

Plus, the Cowboys would probably give up draft picks in trade for him. He fits right in there.

86WARD
03-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Bryant and Bryant...that would be a sick combo.