PDA

View Full Version : Ladarius Green puts more speed into mix for Big Ben

stillers4me
03-12-2016, 08:57 AM
He is no Heath Miller. Ladarius “Pee Wee” Green is not going to make Pro Bowls or the nightly highlights by throwing devastating blocks.

He might not even catch Miller’s team-record 592 receptions for tight ends if he sticks around for a decade.

What he can do is run — fast — and catch the deep ball along with the others, and at 6 feet 6, 250 pounds, he gives the Steelers a different dimension than they’ve had at the position in quite some time, perhaps ever. He is another tall receiver the Steelers have delivered to Ben Roethlisberger, which adds to their quarterback’s embarrassment of riches on offense.

That Green is a tight end joining that offense means he will have to block some, and he has shown an ability and willingness to do that, something the Steelers have enough confidence he will manage to do. But make no mistake, Green was signed because of his 4.53 speed and his talent as a receiver, first and foremost, and in that sense, he gives them a tight end who can go get it............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/11/On-The-Steelers-Lardarius-Green-brings-different-skills-to-tight-end-than-Heath-Miller-did/stories/201603110184

Shoes
03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Glad we have him and really hope he works out, seems like a very nice young man to boot. Yet, I can see why the Steelers were still looking at Vannett (Fridays pro day). If they would pick up Vannett or Tyler Higbee, with Green & James...WOW! I think Spaeth's days are over and maybe even Will Johnson. I'd almost take Higbee because I believe he would be there in R4, excellent blocker & receiver and has a Gronk likeness to his play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEwjgwkbs0

hawaiiansteeler
03-23-2016, 09:14 PM
McCoy: Ladarius Green has bright future with Steelers

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: March 23, 2016

After a decade of Heath Miller's all-around excellence, the Pittsburgh Steelers are counting on recent acquisition Ladarius Green to stretch the field with his dynamic speed at tight end.

The presence of future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates might have prevented Green from reaching his ceiling in San Diego, but Chargers coach Mike McCoy is confident that a breakout season is on the horizon.

"He's got a bright future in Pittsburgh," McCoy said this week, via ESPN.com. "Can't say enough good things about him. That was not an easy decision."

Green was highly impressive on game film last season, hauling in a career-high 37 passes for 429 yards despite playing just 27 percent of the Bolts' offensive snaps.

Why is McCoy so bullish on Green's potential?

"His knowledge of the game, and the big thing is his playmaking ability," McCoy continued. "A very talented player in the passing game."

The Steelers are going to flood the field with playmakers such as Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, Green and perhaps even second-year wideout Sammie Coates.

It will be interesting to see how defenses cover Green down the seam with a handful of other weapons drawing attention away.

"Heath was a great receiver, a great blocker. He wasn't really a stretch-the-field guy," general manager Kevin Colbert explained. "Ladarius gives you that added dimension of speed ... the speed and vertical threat at tight end is really something we haven't had."

Even without suspended wide receiver Martavis Bryant, Pittsburgh's offense should give New England's a run for its money as the AFC's most dangerous.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647214/article/mccoy-ladarius-green-has-bright-future-with-steelers

Born2Steel
03-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Very excited about this signing. Takes most of the sting out of losing Miller. I do know they play different styles, but this is a good thing. Hope to see continued improvement from James too.

zulater
04-04-2016, 07:55 AM
I like the signing of Green, with Heath retiring this is a good addition to the roster.

But I hope his signing doesn't infringe on the development of Jesse James. Going back through last year's games in the limited number of snaps James played when his number was called he always came up looking good. He flashed really good hands, doesn't let the ball come to his body and trap it like too many young receivers do. Caught the ball in high traffic and secures the catch. And he got excellent run after the catch each time he caught the ball. He even blocked pretty good from what I could see. I vaguely remember one play in particular when his block helped spring Martavis Bryant for a screen pass that turned into a TD.

Psycho Ward 86
04-04-2016, 11:00 AM
My prediction: 58 catches, 850 yards, 14.6 YPC, 8 TD's

and that will just be him getting started

polamalubeast
04-04-2016, 11:11 AM
The problem with James is that I do not think he can average at least 10 yards per catch.Green will probably have 14-15 yards per catch, which is huge for the steelers.

zulater
04-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Green?

Psycho Ward 86
04-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Green?

lol yeah i thought that was obvious. You think jesse james is already capable of making that jump?

id be in heaven if it happened

zulater
04-04-2016, 11:41 AM
lol yeah i thought that was obvious. You think jesse james is already capable of making that jump?

id be in heaven if it happened

No. Just asking. It wasn't entirely clear, though it was the likely take from it being as that's who the thread was about.

If I had to ballpark James, conservatively I'd go 25 catches for 300 yards and 3 td's. I disagree with the earlier assessment that he would average less than 10 yards a catch as he displayed good run after catch ability on most of his catches last season.

Green I'll go closer to 45 for 600 and 5td's.

I don't know why but we never have taken full advantage of Heath in the red zone and I don't expect it to change with the new guard.

Though I guess if you combined our tight ends for 8 td's going into the season most people would take that.

polamalubeast
04-04-2016, 11:48 AM
No. Just asking. It wasn't entirely clear, though it was the likely take from it being as that's who the thread was about.

If I had to ballpark James, conservatively I'd go 25 catches for 300 yards and 3 td's. I disagree with the earlier assessment that he would average less than 10 yards a catch as he displayed good run after catch ability on most of his catches last season.

Green I'll go closer to 45 for 600 and 5td's.

I don't know why but we never have taken full advantage of Heath in the red zone and I don't expect it to change with the new guard.

Though I guess if you combined our tight ends for 8 td's going into the season most people would take that.

Heath Miller had 8 TD in 2012 in the first year of Todd Haley but Miller was not the same player since his major injury at the end of the 2012 season.

ALLD
04-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Send James and Green into the back of the EZ and throw it up for grabs.

Psycho Ward 86
04-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Send James and Green into the back of the EZ and throw it up for grabs.

if we still had dri archer we could hide him behind one of them and have him run a curl route while they hit flag routes :lol:

86WARD
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM
With Bryant gone, I have a feeling that Green will put up closer to 70 catches. I think we'll start to see a lot of two TEs with Green split wide and James in tight.

zulater
04-05-2016, 09:12 AM
With Bryant gone, I have a feeling that Green will put up closer to 70 catches. I think we'll start to see a lot of two TEs with Green split wide and James in tight.

Could be. But with LeVeon expected back I think more of those targets will go to him. And as last season progressed DeAngelo Williams emerged more in the passing game. Only so many targets to go around. It will be interesting to see how they divvy them up? Good thing to have lots of options though.

Psycho Ward 86
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM

thats such a terrifying prospect for opposing defenses it really makes you wonder what we would have if Bryant wasnt suspended.

Imagine staring down Martavis Bryant, Jesse James, and Ladarius Green in the redzone. Lord have mercy.

teegre
04-05-2016, 10:20 AM

I said something similar elsewhere.

When Gates was out, Green was on pace for:
80 receptions, 800 yards, 8 TDs

polamalubeast
04-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Not a good idea.

The best formation of the steelers is 3 WR, 1 RB and 1 TE.The steelers had an average of 7 yards per play(and 9.13 yards per pass for Roethlisberger) with this formation last year.