PDA

View Full Version : Sean Spence visits the Dolphins

hawaiiansteeler
03-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Sean Spence visits the Dolphins

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/e904cbc8f61cafa78135e9faaa1b3814.jpeg?w=250

Free agent linebacker Sean Spence is visiting Miami.

A league source tells PFT that Spence has a meeting with the Dolphins tonight.

A 2012 third-round pick of the Steelers, Spence missed his first two seasons in the NFL with injuries. But he played well in both 2014 and 2015 and at age 25 may have the best years of his career ahead of him.

Spence is the No. 99 player on our Free Agent Hot 100.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/sean-spence-visits-the-dolphins/

salamander
03-12-2016, 05:52 AM
I like Spence. Would suck to see him sign with another team.

Buckinnuts
03-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Need to keep him...especially with Shazier..often being injured

zulater
03-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Vince Williams is much better. Spence is very mediocre and it's a shame because he was probably meant to be a pretty good player. But those knee injuries he suffered early in his NFL career weren't your run of the mill ACL or MCL blowout. He pretty much devastated his one knee to the point it's remarkable he even got back to the game. But there's no full recovery from the devastation his knee incurred and as a result his play has subsequently been limited and always will be. So no great loss in talent here. The Steelers should have little trouble filling his role adequately.

ALLD
03-12-2016, 10:35 AM
I would sign with the Fins if they paid me big $. Summer practices are a bitch because of the heat and humidity. Then you can count on an early Christmas because Miami won't be going to the playoffs.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I would sign with the Fins if they paid me big $. Summer practices are a bitch because of the heat and humidity. Then you can count on an early Christmas because Miami won't be going to the playoffs.

Sean Spence went to the U of Miami, that may very well factor into his decision also...

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Adding Inside Linebacker Depth A Must In Pittsburgh

BY ALEX KOZORA MARCH 12, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers let 15 players hit the open market. Most, frankly, won’t be missed and were at the replacement-level status. Cam Thomas. Will Allen. Byron Stingily. There won’t be many memoirs written over them.

But the team is in danger over losing two inside linebackers and it’s testing their depth. Sean Spence is in Miami. Terence Garvin in Washington. If both leave, and that’s looking likely, the Steelers aren’t left with much behind their starters. The only backup with legitimate experience is Vince Williams, who, make no mistake, is highly capable and a player I’ve been a fan of since his rookie season.

But beyond that, the depth is scarce. L.J. Fort earned a small role on special teams in the playoffs after the team suffered several injuries on their third unit. Jordan Zumwalt is a 6th round pick who has never made it out of camp healthy. And that’s it, no one even currently signed to a futures deal.

The Steelers enjoyed an excellent coverage unit last year under the tutelage of Danny Smith. That was made possible by the contributions of players like Spence and Garvin, especially the latter, who teamed up with Williams to make one of the best coverage duos in the league. Now, it could be split up, and the Steelers need to find a way to make a smooth transition. No one thinks about special teams until they’re bad, and Pittsburgh fans’ are all too familiar with that over the last five years.

Losing Spence isn’t a difficult pill to swallow. As admirable as it was for him to return from his vicious knee injury suffered in his rookie year, his play has never been anything more than average. But Garvin was an ace and though special teams standouts have come and gone – Sean Morey, Clint Kriedwalt, and of course, Chidi Iwuoma – but they’re still vital to replace.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/adding-inside-linebacker-depth-must-pittsburgh/

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Spence is easily replaced.

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Just would kinda suck to put in so much time waiting on a player to come back from injuries, with all the build up of what if. Then he makes it back only to leave via FA. I still don't feel like we ever got to see him at full speed.

Rotorhead
03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
I liked Spence over VW, but both are fine. I was happy to see him recover and he definitely was improving last season. I hope he gets the contract he deserves and wish he could have stayed here.

tube517
03-14-2016, 01:15 PM
special teams standouts have come and gone – Sean Morey, Clint Kriedwalt, and of course, Chidi Iwuoma

Alex :chuckle: