PDA

View Full Version : Backup QB.....

polamalubeast
03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Who would you like to be the backup of Roethlisberger next year?

Bruce Gradkowski?
Landry Jones?
A draft pick?
Or other?

The steelers are interested in Brian Hoyer, but I think he will go with a team where he could be starter again.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Mike Vick :couch:

Cyphon25
03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Some part of me wants to say the draft pick because when Ben goes down I feel like we are probably going to lose anyway, so I would rather have the hope of something grand than just watching a game manager until Ben comes back.

Devilsdancefloor
03-10-2016, 06:42 PM
hoyer would be nice, but I feel jones & draft pick

Born2Steel
03-10-2016, 07:07 PM
As tough as it is to find a franchise QB, and with the money being given to FAs, a draft pick makes more sense long term. If looking at it with the win now attitude, bring in someone like Hoyer that knows how to play in this league already. I have never seen anything that makes me think Landry Jones is our future or a QB I trust to fill in. Gradkowski may already be that vet to get us thru a couple games if Ben goes down again, but has he come back enough from his injury last season himself.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Steelers Continue To Show Interest In Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-continue-to-show-interest-in-mississippi-state-qb-dak-prescott-at-his-pro-day/

86WARD
03-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Seeing what Tennessee is done, I'd rather see Pittsburgh go after Zach Mettenberger.

Born2Steel
03-10-2016, 07:33 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-continue-to-show-interest-in-mississippi-state-qb-dak-prescott-at-his-pro-day/

Dak and Cardale are interchangeable, IMO. Huge guys with very big arms. Good run ability and tough as hell to get on the ground. Sounds a lot like our #7 don't they. No wonder we like them.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Bruce and a draft pick. Take a flyer in round 7

teegre
03-11-2016, 01:24 AM
Seeing what Tennessee is done, I'd rather see Pittsburgh go after Zach Mettenberger.

YES!!!!!

Although, I think it's Dak Prescott in R3.

Another name that could surprise is Braxton Miller. He is converting to be a WR/TE, and even if he stays there, he'd be your emergency (third) QB. That said, maybe you switch him back to QB full time...

Cyphon25
03-11-2016, 06:23 AM
YES!!!!!

Another name that could surprise is Braxton Miller. He is converting to be a WR/TE, and even if he stays there, he'd be your emergency (third) QB. That said, maybe you switch him back to QB full time...

Drawing a blank on his name but didn't we just have that guy this season? A QB turned WR and they didn't really consider him an emergency 3rd which to me, would have made a great deal of sense. Was it Tyler Murphy?

But with our WR group now, there is no room for a guy like that so you are better off just getting a 3rd QB.

86WARD
03-11-2016, 06:59 AM
It was Tyler Murphy.

Born2Steel
03-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Depending on the rest of FA of course, but I'm not disappointed with Dak, Cardale, or Lynch coming to this team to backup Ben for a few seasons and be groomed on how to dominate here next. Keep the train rollin'.

Rotorhead
03-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Gradkowski if he is healthy again, or Landry if Grad is not healthy. I would be ok to wait one more year to draft a QB again, bigger needs at this point. If Ben goes down I would feel more comfortable with a healthy Gradkowski than a healthy Landry. Either way if we lost Ben again, does it really matter?

polamalubeast
03-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Johnny Manziel?!

:rolleyes::heh:

hawaiiansteeler
03-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Johnny Manziel?

:rolleyes::heh:

http://cover32.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Johnny-Manziel-NFL-Browns-Meme_1.jpg

Shoes
03-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Draft pick or other. Grad is getting older and has played last year and very little before that. Jones has no continuity. Upgrade needed, we need a solid #2.

hawaiiansteeler
03-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Johnny Manziel?!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58747349.jpg

Moose
03-12-2016, 05:42 AM
Prefer a healthy Gradkowski definitely over healthy Landry....but we need to start drafting a future QB now, Ben is only a hit or two from retiring !

86WARD
03-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Prefer a healthy Gradkowski definitely over healthy Landry....but we need to start drafting a future QB now, Ben is only a hit or two from retiring !

Rather have healthy Zach Mettenberger over either of those two and may opt for the healthy option behind door #3 over those two as well...

Moose
03-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Rather have healthy Zach Mettenberger over either of those two and may opt for the healthy option behind door #3 over those two as well...
Gotta agree ! We just have to start working on the future now. We all know the future can change in a single play.

86WARD
03-13-2016, 08:41 AM

Prescott was arrested and charged with a DUI. Seeing their situation with Bryant and the situation with Manziel, I don't think Pittsburgh goes anywhere near him...

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Prescott was arrested and charged with a DUI. Seeing their situation with Bryant and the situation with Manziel, I don't think Pittsburgh goes anywhere near him...

:iagree:

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2016, 10:21 PM
Steelers visit QB Prospect Brandon Allen at Arkansas' Pro Day

By Jeff.Hartman on Mar 20, 201

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/DY4JVanYcQ_f0EEWW-yneFOK_J8=/0x0:2992x1995/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49125271/GettyImages-496174288.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers are far from satisfied with their depth at the quarterback position, and are doing their diligence looking at college prospects who might be able to fill the void.

As of March 20th, the Pittsburgh Steelers depth chart at quarterback is far from certain. After Ben Roethlisberger, the only quarterback under contract with the team is Landry Jones, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Jones performed well in 2015 when coming off the bench, but his overall performance left a lot to be desired. It was Jones who orchestrated an amazing comeback against the Arizona Cardinals at Heinz Field, but failed to win as a starter in Kansas City against the Chiefs, and threw a heartbreaking interception in relief of Roethlisberger against the Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC Wild Card round.

The Steelers could still re-sign Bruce Gradkowski or Mike Vick, but the team seems very interested in filling their void on the depth chart through the NFL Draft. Most recently, the team met with QB Brandon Allen at Arkansas' Pro Day.

Allen is a three-year starter with the Razorbacks, but due to some tangible size issues, has most pro scouts weary of him at the professional level. First, his physical size (6-feet, one-inch) is considered to be too small to play at the NFL level. Second, his hand size (8 1/2 inches) is also considered to be a half-inch below what most scouts prefer from quarterbacks coming out of college.

Allen is banking on a massive improvement from his Junior to Senior season to help turn him from an undrafted free agent signing, to a drafted player. Most project Allen to be a late-round selection in the upcoming NFL Draft, and that would be the exact time the Pittsburgh Steelers will be looking to address the quarterback position, if they do at all in the 7-round selection process.

With many glaring needs on the defensive side of the football, most would argue the team shouldn't even be thinking about a quarterback in the draft, but merely sign a quarterback as an undrafted free agent. While this certainly would be beneficial to the defense, some would also argue re-signing Bruce Gradkoswki would be the team's best option in terms of solidifying the depth chart heading into 2016.

Regardless of which side of the fence you find yourself on leading up to the draft, the Steelers are certainly doing their homework on quarterback prospects, Allen being the latest to catch their attention.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/3/20/11264012/steelers-visit-qb-prospect-brandon-allen-at-arkansas-pro-day

Steeldude
03-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Dak and Cardale are interchangeable, IMO. Huge guys with very big arms. Good run ability and tough as hell to get on the ground. Sounds a lot like our #7 don't they. No wonder we like them.

But neither of them can pass

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 10:59 AM
But neither of them can pass

Why would you think that?

polamalubeast
03-21-2016, 11:01 AM

He thinks that every QB who can run, he can't pass.

steelreserve
03-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Jones will be on the roster by default, since he's playing for the minimum and it does us no good to cut him. I still don't like him as the primary backup; he had one good game and then a bunch of garbage.

To fill out the last spot, honestly I would rather sign an UDFA than spend a draft pick. UDFA quarterbacks are essentially the same as QBs you take in the 4th through 7th rounds: They all have problems.

In the past, I've always said the best option is to sign a low-priced veteran trying to turn his career around, but you know what? They all have problems just as bad, plus they're always injured. In the past decade, we've been through 7 backup QBs that I remember having game action and probably some that I don't ... both of the low draft picks (Dixon and Jones) sucked; all four of the veterans (Leftwich, Batch, Vick, Gradkowski) were underwhelming and ended up getting injured themselves. Then I guess there was Maddox, who I don't even know how you classify except that he sucked too.

So the bottom line is, if you're going to get shaky play out of the position no matter what, the last thing we need is another Glass Joe, so go with a young guy. And if the young guys are all just as shaky no matter what, keep it cheap and roll the dice.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 11:37 AM
If QB was a prime need....Take Lynch at 25 and let him learn until Ben retires. Since it is not, a veteran backup that can game manage.

Steeldude
03-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Their accuracy. Both struggle with it. You need to be able to pass in the NFL. The Kordell experiments are over.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Their accuracy. Both struggle with it. You need to be able to pass in the NFL. The Kordell experiments are over.

Can you link their accuracy ratings? They were both over 60% comp rates according to ESPN stats. Not saying you're wrong, just you're the only one saying they can't throw.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
I know these aren't the end all discussion on players but these are listed as strengths for Dak and Cardale....

Dak strengths: Strengths Thick, muscular frame. Has proven over last three seasons that he can withstand a pounding. Has enough natural arm strength and hip snap to fit throws into an NFL window. Stands tall and delivers a tight spiral with over-­the­-top delivery. Very little wind­up and gets ball out with the flick of a wrist. When pocket is clean, can deliver accurate strikes around the field. Played with improved vision and care for football this season and eliminated many of the ill-­fated throws that turned into interceptions in 2014. Still a work in progress, but continues to show a level of growth as a passer. Threat with his legs, scoring 37 rushing touchdowns over last three seasons and had 94 rushes of ten yards or more during that time. Can be used as goal-­line rushing option. Willing to extend plays outside of pocket with legs but look to finish the play with his arm. Mentally tough enough to carry a heavy offensive burden for the Bulldogs over last three years. When protected better in 2014, showed an ability to challenge deep and strike with accuracy and touch.

Cardale strengths:Strengths Great size to see over offensive line and bulk to withstand NFL hits. Pocket passer with as much arm as you need. Generates very good velocity without having to get feet set. Can rip it into tight quarters, challenge field-­side cornerbacks and attack safeties over the top. Almost 11 percent of his pass attempts were 20-plus yard completions. Completed 59 percent of intermediate throws and 41 percent of deep throws. Touch and ball placement on long ball is pro caliber. Can drop feathery, touch throws on fade routes. Has size, athleticism and toughness to call his own number in run game and is a chain mover as a scrambler. Interceptions generally due to overthrows and poor timing over bad decision­-making. Though not yet a strength, did show ability to get through progressions and find third option.

Mid round talent. Not definite upgrades by any stretch. But I would be willing to bet better than Landry Jones.

steelreserve
03-21-2016, 03:01 PM
The theme that a lot of guys like this seem to have in common is being quick to take off and turn it into a sandlot play, even if their main goal is still to throw a pass.

Yes, that's a big part of what made Ben special. But very few are good at it.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Paxton Lynch strengths: Strengths Very tall, athletic body with ability to scan over the top. Elite foot quickness for a tall quarterback. Can maneuver quickly out of a busy pocket and away from trouble, but desires to keep passing option alive. Sets up in the pocket quickly and generally keeps feet "throw ready". More functional scrambler than "tuck and run" quarterback. Sacked just 15 times over 477 drop backs. Able to win with his feet when he needs to. Has a quick release to overcome his slight wind­-up. Has enough arm to drive the ball into restricted windows. Has enough arm to attack downfield while on the move. Makes good decisions. Rarely takes the cheese when cornerbacks try and bait him. Displays qualities of a field leader and isn't easy to rattle. Yards per attempt have exploded over his last two years. Can gain chunk yards as zone-read quarterback and will appeal to boot­-action teams. Will be challenging to defend in the red area. Took better care of the football cutting turnovers down from 16 last season to just four this year. Completed 54.6 percent on intermediate throws (11­20) and 44.9 percent on deep balls (21-plus yards) including 19 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

While we're looking at back up options.

steelreserve
03-21-2016, 04:27 PM
I should just add to my previous thoughts - I don't think it would be wise to have a backup QB whose game is significantly different from our main QB, so to me, a "running" or "mobile" QB is out.

Yeah, think of the possibilities if we adapted our game plan to suit him and kept the defense off-balance. Problems is (as we saw with Vick and earlier Dixon), we don't adapt our game plan. We just use a stripped-down version of the regular game plan because the backup QB isn't as good of a pocket passer. So that's how we get the Haley Turtle. I'd just as soon stay away from that and have a backup who's as plain-vanilla as they come.

Mojouw
03-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Lynch is going to go in the first 40 picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 04:45 PM
A mobile QB can't be "out".

I agree Lynch won't be there when we would possibly want to take a QB, (hopefully).

What about Driskell?

Strengths Prototypical build and athleticism. Quick­-footed signal-caller with rapid setup in the pocket. Has active, bouncy feet while turning and scanning from target to target. Possesses arm strength and pace on his throws to challenge play­making cornerbacks in man and instinctive linebackers in zone. Can get ball out quickly with the flick off his wrist. Fundamentally sound with good footwork to balance himself before driving the ball with good weight transfer and hip rotation. Dangerous runner outside the pocket and can escape with suddenness. Good open-­field speed and ability to operate in zone-­read packages. Willing to throw the ball away and move to next play rather than take unnecessary sacks. Accurate and confident in short passing game.

Most likely there in 4th.

hawaiiansteeler
03-21-2016, 04:56 PM
the Steelers have visited with the following 4 college QB prospects so far (that we know of anyway), so they seem serious about finding a new young QB to develop. it will be interesting to see if we will bring in any of them for official visits:

1) Vernon Adams Jr Oregon
2) Brandon Allen Arkansas
3) Cody Kessler USC
4) Dak Prescott Miss St

steelreserve
03-21-2016, 04:57 PM
A mobile QB can't be "out".

I agree Lynch won't be there when we would possibly want to take a QB, (hopefully).

What about Driskell?

Most likely there in 4th.

No, a mobile QB won't be "out," but I just don't think it'll tend to work well given what I've seen in our offense the past few years.

Really I think we are best suited seeing just who's around in R6 or R7, or after the draft, and try to get the best one of those at a low cost. Any of the ones outside of the R1-R3 guys have a ton of question marks, and I don't think we want to spend a pick that high on QB. So as long as we're looking for a backup and not a real QB - roll the dice, rinse, repeat as needed, and try to keep it cheap.

Driskell sounds intriguing from his raw fundamental description but ...

Driskel has the skill set to be a quality NFL starting quarterback. He is big, athletic, and has the arm strength to make all the throws. That was clear at the combine where he worked out extremely well. However, Driskel doesn't have the mentality of a pro signal-caller. While at Florida, he was a disaster with turnovers, poor accuracy, and taking an offense that had pro talent and making it inept.

In 2014, Driskel had future NFL running backs (Matt Jones and Kelvin Taylor), a wide receiver with first-round talent (Demarcus Robinson), and future pro offensive linemen (D.J. Humphries and Max Garcia), yet still struggled to move the ball. Driskel completed 54 percent of his passes that season for 1,140 yards with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Driskel transferred to Louisiana Tech and beat up on the weak competition in 2015, completing 62 percent of his passes for 4,033 yards with 27 touchdowns and eight interceptions. At the Senior Bowl, his skill set flashed at times, but he didn't play well enough to undo the damage done by his play at Florida. Sources say that they've given Driskel an undrafted grade.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Just have to ask Will Muschamp about Jeff Driskel. I don't know if I put all his future on his performance at Florida. Maybe it wasn't the "weaker competition" that helped his numbers as much as his QB coach. Nobody knows where he goes from here yet. I don't personally want him due to his documented poor accuracy, especially on downfield throws. I do like Prescott, though. I would consider it if he were there in the 3rd. The league is full of good teams that don't have a QB so they suck every year. I don't want to turn into the 80s Steelers again. This draft is so deep on the defensive side, I think we can spend a higher pick on a QB if the right guy is there. Just sayin'.

silver & black
03-21-2016, 05:41 PM
YES!!!!!

His arm is done. I love the guy, but that's the reason he switched positions. He could play as a sort of dink and dunk type QB, but his days as a full time QB are over.

Mojouw
03-21-2016, 06:26 PM
I think Prescott is out. His DUI won't fly with Bongtavious's recent misadventures.

It will be a year or two before the FO is feeling frisky on a "character concern" guy again. Just my gut feeling.

Born2Steel
03-21-2016, 07:09 PM
I don't think the FO will give his DUI much thought at all. Dak doesn't have a history of getting into trouble with alcohol. Plus....

STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) -- Former Mississippi State quarterback and NFL draft prospect Dak Prescott (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/201950/) took two inconclusive breathalyzer tests following a traffic stop for speeding on Saturday night.
Prescott was arrested and charged with speeding and driving under the influence in Starkville. His first court appearance is scheduled for April 11.
Police records state that Prescott was pulled over at 12:31 a.m. and took two breathalyzer tests at 1:13 a.m. and 1:47 a.m. The first result was an ''invalid sample'' and the second was an ''insufficient sample.''
He was released on bond ''in good condition and without incident.''

Doesn't amount to much in my book. At least not enough to take him off our board.

teegre
03-21-2016, 07:23 PM
His arm is done. I love the guy, but that's the reason he switched positions. He could play as a sort of dink and dunk type QB, but his days as a full time QB are over.

Thank you (really).

I had just thought that he had lost the starting job due to a loaded QB corral. But, it sounds like switching positions was the smart move for him.

silver & black
03-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Thank you (really).

I had just thought that he had lost the starting job due to a loaded QB corral. But, it sounds like switching positions was the smart move for him.

He never came back from the arm injury he sustained in 2013. He missed the entire 2014 season. He played quite a bit in the Wild Cat last year.... and never once threw the ball. That should tell you something.

Steelersfan
03-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Not trying to be an "ass". Just trying to create conversation and get opinions. But, is there the slightest possibility, that we currently have 2 QBs already on the roster better than these later round picks??? One QB that now has a bit of experience, but not a lot of "star" potential/upside (L Jones). And one QB with zero experience, but more potential (D Vaughan) than the projected lower round QBs that we have met with so far (list below)??? As far as I'm concerned, if the answer to the slightest possibility question is "Yes" then do we really need to take a stab at another QB with potential.

1) Vernon Adams Jr Oregon
2) Brandon Allen Arkansas
3) Cody Kessler USC
4) Dak Prescott Miss St

Now, with all that being said, I also think if you have the luxury of having a "take-a-stab-in-the-dark" pick in any draft, you have to do it. I would rather use a "shot-in-the-dark" pick on a QB much more than a Dri Archer type. This is probably a good year to do it too, not alot of projected "Super Star" QBs in this draft, but there about 6 - 8 QBs people are talking about. Which is alot of QB prospects in one draft, when you think about it.

Born2Steel
03-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Just my opinion, but no, not even a slight chance from anything we have seen. Landry Jones has done absolutely nothing to show he will ever be more than a backup QB. Dustin Vaughn doesn't look like he will even be a backup in this league. Ryan Mallett would be an upgrade at backup right now.

86WARD
03-22-2016, 08:02 AM
I don't see why people like Prescott. He does zero for me. He's not a great thrower and not that great of a runner. I've read a lot of comparisons to Donovan McNabb, but not as good as McNabb. Plus anyone who is dumb enough to go out and get a DUI the day after their workout knowing he is preparing for a big career...no thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep Jones. Sign Mettenberger. Use the draft pick on another CB-Bust.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2016, 09:54 AM
the guy I would like to see them get late is Nate Sudfeld (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2001862/nate-sudfeld) , he is the kind of player that could benefit from sitting a couple years learning the pro game and bulking up a bit in the meantime ... has a good arm , struggles at times with accuracy but still managed 27 TDs to just 7 INT's while posting a 151 QB rating ...

86WARD
03-22-2016, 10:32 AM
I actually wouldn't mind seeing them take a flyer on the guy from Stanford. Kevin Hogan. Can't be any worse as a development project than Landry Jones.m

I wouldn't be terribly upset with Jones, but I wouldn't be jumping for joy either...

Born2Steel
03-22-2016, 11:46 AM
I don't see why people like Prescott. He does zero for me. He's not a great thrower and not that great of a runner. I've read a lot of comparisons to Donovan McNabb, but not as good as McNabb. Plus anyone who is dumb enough to go out and get a DUI the day after their workout knowing he is preparing for a big career...no thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep Jones. Sign Mettenberger. Use the draft pick on another CB-Bust.

I like Mettenberger better also, as he has experience and I've seen him actually play at this level. Dak Prescott was the 'Cam Newton' for Miss State. He was the offense. He carried the team for the most part. He's a very good football player that just also happens to play QB. I feel he could learn from the bench for a few years and have a better shot at being our starter than Jones, at this point. He is only 6'2" and slower than he looked in college. Just based on the games I saw, he has a legitimate NFL arm. Outside the possible first rounders though, who would make a 'better' back up pick?

Born2Steel
03-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Too bad about Jake Locker. He had a serious chance, IMO, of being a career starter. Just had to play behind one of the worst Olines and took a pounding every game. He retired saying he just didn't want to play anymore. I thought Zach did a fine job his first season starting, and was surprised the Titans went total sell out on Mariota. I would love to bring in Mettenberger and see what he could do for us.

Mojouw
03-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Mettenberger is terrible. INT machine. Stares down recievers, etc. Mariota is better at every aaspect of football.

Doesn't matter anyway, Mettenbergr is signed through this season.

Born2Steel
03-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Did Mettenberger break Manning's rookie INTs record? Not saying he's another Manning, but he was a rookie.

Mojouw
03-22-2016, 01:02 PM
Did Mettenberger break Manning's rookie INTs record? Not saying he's another Manning, but he was a rookie.

He stunk his rookie year and he stunk across multiple games in his second year. As I said, it really doesn't matter because I think he is signed through 2017.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MettZa00.htm

cold-hard-steel
03-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Seems to me we do need a QB to preserve our legacy. Our last one did a fine outstanding job. Not laundry , but Ben .Football is really cool. When Ben was the back up he came in and won.We need to invite another winner into our house .

Born2Steel
03-22-2016, 01:32 PM
He stunk his rookie year and he stunk across multiple games in his second year. As I said, it really doesn't matter because I think he is signed through 2017.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MettZa00.htm

Yep, those are not good numbers. How many of those games did you actually watch though? Stinky as a rookie = not that big of a deal to me.

Mojouw
03-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Yep, those are not good numbers. How many of those games did you actually watch though? Stinky as a rookie = not that big of a deal to me.

I watched one and some highlights, so yeah - I guess I really don't know. But, one last time, any opinions we may have on Mettenberger do NOT matter. He is not going to be available until after the 2017 season

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/zach-mettenberger/

Born2Steel
03-22-2016, 02:17 PM
I think he was a 6th or 7th round pick. A trade would be possible. Not going to happen, but possible. And that's all this thread is about really, possibilities. Possibilities at back up QB. Mettenberger, or any clipboard holder for that matter, is worthy of bringing up here. Nick Foles has failed with the Rams, but he would be worth a thought or 2 as a back up here. We have no back up QB worthy of a jersey number.

86WARD
03-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Mettenberger was on the free agent list at the end of last season. That's why his name is in the conversation. Not sure if he was extended, something picked up in his contract or if it was just a mistake.

hawaiiansteeler
04-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Steelers not likely to draft Roethlisberger’s successor but are intrigued by Prescott

ByJohn PerrottoPosted on April 9, 2016

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers haven’t had to look for its quarterback of the future in a dozen years.

They choose Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft from Miami of Ohio. He took over for Tommy Maddox as the starter three weeks into his rookie season and has gone on to lead the Steelers to two Super Bowl titles and pass for nearly 43,000 yards.

However, Roethlisberger also turned 34 last month, so it is reasonable to wonder if it might be time for the Steelers to draft a quarterback and groom him as the eventual starter.

That will happen some year. Not this year, though.

The Steelers believe Roethlisberger is still in the prime of his career. Furthermore, they plan to use the majority of their draft choices on defense and know when their first turn comes to pick at No. 25 that potential franchise quarterbacks such as California’s Jared Goff and North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz will be off the board.

However, the Steelers are open to drafting someone to compete with backup quarterback Landry Jones. The only other QB on the roster is Dustin Vaughan, who was signed as a free agent in January after being released by the Buffalo Bills and has never taken a snap in a regular-season game.

Jones saw the first action of his NFL career last season, making two starts, after the Steelers drafted him in the fourth round in 2013 from Oklahoma. However, the Steelers aren’t completely sold on Jones being a long-time No. 2 let alone a potential starter.

“Landry Jones came through big time for us last year,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “I think we went into training camp hoping for that to happen, and in all honesty, in training camp, you saw some flashes, but maybe not enough to really say he’s our No. 2. And then we get into the season, and he saved a couple of games for us. So that was very encouraging.

“He’s proven to be a viable backup on a short-term basis. Can he do that on a long-term basis? He has to prove that, and he’ll be the first to tell you he has to prove that.”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would also like to see more from Jones, who completed 58.3 percent of his passes for 513 yards and three touchdowns with four interceptions last season.

“I like the progress he made in 2015,” Tomlin said. “I look forward to him taking another significant step, in terms of proving he’s a consistent and reliable contributor for us. I thought he really grew, in terms of his approach to it. I’m optimistic that he will continue to be a guy on the rise. Am I satisfied with where he is? No. Is he satisfied with where he is? No.”

The Steelers could wind up re-signing veteran Bruce Gradkowski, who spent last season on injured reserve and under shoulder surgery in the spring. The Pittsburgh native would likely be amenable to returning on a veteran minimum contract.

The only college quarterback the Steelers have reportedly visited with is Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott, who led his team to a combined 19 wins in last two season and set 38 school records. He was also a first-team Southeastern Conference selection in 2014 and 2015.

Despite his college success, Prescott could last until the fourth round and maybe even to the third and final day of the draft.

One drawback with Prescott is that he was charged with driving under the influence March 14 in Starkville. However, he was lauded for his character and leadership throughout his collegiate career and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, while not downplaying the charge, has said he believes Prescott will learn from his mistake.

Prescott is often compared to former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow because he is a bruising runner. The comparisons also stem from the connection with Mullen, who was Florida’s offensive coordinator when Tebow was a college star.

However, Prescott has more arm strength and accuracy than Tebow, though one criticism is that he locks onto his primary receiver for too long before looking for secondary targets.

Among other quarterbacks who could be on the board in the later round are Ohio State’s Cardale Jones, North Carolina State’s Jacoby Brissett, Western Kentucky’s Brandon Doughty, Stanford’s Kevin Hogan, Arkansas’ Brandon Allen and Southern California’s Cody Kessler.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-today/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-not-likely-draft-roethlisbergers-successor-intrigued-prescott/

86WARD
04-10-2016, 04:39 AM
I'd rather go with nothing than to waste a pick on Prescott.

70's Steel
04-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Draft pick, please.

SteelMember
04-14-2016, 11:17 AM
I'd rather go with nothing than to waste a pick on Prescott.

Agree'd. Think I'd rather maybe take the flier on a Jeff Driskel in a later round.

70's Steel
04-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Paxton Lynch strengths: Strengths

Very tall, athletic body with ability to scan over the top. Elite foot quickness for a tall quarterback. Can maneuver quickly out of a busy pocket and away from trouble, but desires to keep passing option alive. Sets up in the pocket quickly and generally keeps feet "throw ready". More functional scrambler than "tuck and run" quarterback. Sacked just 15 times over 477 drop backs. Able to win with his feet when he needs to. Has a quick release to overcome his slight wind*-up. Has enough arm to drive the ball into restricted windows. Has enough arm to attack downfield while on the move. Makes good decisions. Rarely takes the cheese when cornerbacks try and bait him. Displays qualities of a field leader and isn't easy to rattle. Yards per attempt have exploded over his last two years. Can gain chunk yards as zone-read quarterback and will appeal to boot*-action teams. Will be challenging to defend in the red area. Took better care of the football cutting turnovers down from 16 last season to just four this year. Completed 54.6 percent on intermediate throws (11*20) and 44.9 percent on deep balls (21-plus yards) including 19 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

While we're looking at back up options.

Problem is, Lynch is being considered starter material due to a rather weak class post-Goff and Wentz. I'd love for Pitt. to somehow get their hands on him though. Under proper development, I believe he has a future.

Psycho Ward 86
04-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Problem is, Lynch is being considered starter material due to a rather weak class post-Goff and Wentz. I'd love for Pitt. to somehow get their hands on him though. Under proper development, I believe he has a future.

the draft is generally considered deep at qb, just lacking in top end talent from what ive read

Born2Steel
04-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Problem is, from the standpoint of looking at them today and from a fan viewpoint, nobody we select in this draft will compare to Ben. Every QB will be looked at as a wasted pick for this season. But the reason we select those guys(Landry Jones) is hoping 3-5 years from now, when we need them to, they can become starters in this league. We missed with Jones, IMO. There is a very real and obvious need at the backup QB spot. I don't know if any of them will beat out Jones, but we have to try, don't we? Because we know what we have will not work.