PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Had Wednesday Night Meeting With Clemson CB Mackensie Alexander

Shoes
03-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Steeler considering trading up?
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-had-wednesday-night-meeting-with-clemson-cb-mackensie-alexander/

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2016, 11:39 AM
seems like his hype has been really dying the past month while William Jackson and Eli Apple have been really rising. most poeple seem to think he'll still be there at 25.

measuring in at 5'11'' and running a 4.4 flat isnt helping our cause though

Cyphon25
03-10-2016, 11:41 AM
Of any pick we have been linked to or could possibly have at 25 he is my guy.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 12:42 PM
seems like his hype has been really dying the past month while William Jackson and Eli Apple have been really rising. most poeple seem to think he'll still be there at 25.

measuring in at 5'11'' and running a 4.4 flat isnt helping our cause though

I would be happy with any of the three: Alexander, Apple or Jackson.

it's time to re-stock the talent cupboard at the CB position...

steelreserve
03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Let Apple keep moving up; I'd take this guy over him in a second. Apple would be a risky first-round pick, and incredibly risky the way our team is.

Great talent, needs to improve a couple skills to be a legitimate NFL player ... our DBs DON'T improve their skills. Take the guy who's the more complete player off the bat.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Tony Pauline
‏@TonyPauline

Mackensie Alexander meets with NY Jets & Pittsburgh Steelers...dines with New Orleans Saints...

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Dwinsgames
03-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Steeler considering trading up?
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-had-wednesday-night-meeting-with-clemson-cb-mackensie-alexander/

doubt a trade up , but if he is there I can see the pick happening and would applaud it

Shoes
03-10-2016, 01:22 PM
doubt a trade up , but if he is there I can see the pick happening and would applaud it

They tried trading up last year but I'd prefer trading down and picking up a few R2 or an extra R2 & R3

Dwinsgames
03-10-2016, 01:31 PM
They tried trading up last year but I'd prefer trading down and picking up a few R2 or an extra R2 & R3

last year they had a full allotment of selections going into the draft as well , this year they are down 2 before the opening bell sounds

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Pagano, Tomlin chat with CB Alexander at Clemson pro day

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: March 10, 2016

The most anticipated 40-yard dash in the country Thursday turned out just fine for Clemson cornerback Mackensie Alexander.

Alexander, one of the top CB prospects in this year's NFL draft, sat out drills at the NFL Scouting Combine due to a hamstring injury, which placed even more importance on his pro day. He ran between 4.48 and 4.52 seconds in the 40-yard dash on Thursday, per NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock, who was in attendance for the pro day. A 4.48 would have placed him 13th at his position at the combine. He also had an impressive vertical jump of 37.5 inches on Thursday, per NFL Media's Rand Getlin. That mark would have given him a tie for seventh place among CBs at the combine.

"(Scouts) definitely left with smiley faces," Alexander said.

Perhaps just as important as the 40 time, however, was Alexander's performance in position drills. Having started two years at CU without making an interception, his ball skills are perhaps the chief scouting question looming over his status for the NFL draft.

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock was impressed.

"I think he made a case for being a first-round corner," Mayock said.

Four NFL head coaches -- the Bills' Rex Ryan, the Colts' Chuck Pagano, the Bengals' Marvin Lewis and the Steelers' Mike Tomlin -- were in attendance for the workout. Pagano reportedly spent extensive time speaking with Alexander, and Tomlin also got in a word with the Tigers' brash cover man, who insisted he is the best cornerback in the draft at the combine. A good impression on those two coaches could be particularly valuable for Alexander -- CB is a top need for both the Steelers and Colts.

Here are a few other things we learned from Thursday's pro days:

2. Alexander wasn't the only main attraction at Clemson, and two of the others were taken out of their comfort zones. Defensive ends Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd were asked to go through linebacker drills so scouts could see if they had the skills to drop into coverage, according to The Associated Press. ... More from Clemson's pro day: WR Charone Peake reportedly ran unofficial 40-yard dashes of 4.36 and 4.38 ... Dodd said he has been invited to attend the draft in person.

3. Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott and DL Chris Jones were the biggest scouting draws at MSU's pro day Thursday, with Prescott throwing more than 60 passes under the watchful eyes of quarterback coaches Ken Dorsey of the Carolina Panthers and Randy Fichtner of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

4. Illinois DL Jihad Ward, at nearly 300 pounds, turned in impressive 40-yard dash times of 5.07 and 5.10 on Thursday as defensive line coaches from the Cincinnati Bengals, Houston Texans and New England Patriots were in attendance.

5. Oregon's Byron Marshall, one of the Ducks' most explosive and versatile offensive weapons, reportedly ran a 4.57 40-yard dash at the Ducks' pro day, while QB Vernon Adams ran a 4.85.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000643287/article/pagano-tomlin-chat-with-cb-alexander-at-clemson-pro-day

Shoes
03-10-2016, 11:19 PM
I would like to know who the Steelers are interested in who they are not talking to. If I remember correctly they never talked to Le'Veon Bell. Think some of these meetings are nothing more than smoke screens.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 11:32 PM
@MackAlexander02 talks to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdMyRU_WoAUVe9d.jpg

teegre
03-11-2016, 01:16 AM
I would like to know who the Steelers are interested in who they are not talking to. If I remember correctly they never talked to Le'Veon Bell. Think some of these meetings are nothing more than smoke screens.

They had dinner with Bell.

There is actually a very big correlation between the players with whom the Steelers meet and who they draft. I jokingly used that "fact", last year, in order to create this:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

Born2Steel
03-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Could be we go CB and DL twice each with our 1st 4 picks. Who would be disappointed with that? There are sooo many to choose from. Have to strike gold with one of them.

Steelman
03-11-2016, 08:44 PM
The Steelers are usually pretty straightforward with their first round picks, pretty much always pick guys they've gotten to know. Or anyone from Ohio State is a safe guess. LOL.

I'm a fan of Mac Alexander, I could see him being Ike Taylor 2.0, minus the blazing speed. People will knock his lack of INT's, but the dude is a gamer. I like that.

The bigger "if" is will they go cornerback first round? History casts much doubt there. Personally, if Noah Spence was on the board at 25 I'd be stumbling over my feet to get a card to the podium.