PDA

View Full Version : Timmons will have to agree to another restructuring to remain with Steelers...

katmandu
03-09-2016, 09:43 PM
http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-today/pittsburgh-steelers/timmons-will-agree-another-restructuring-remain-steelers/

Mojouw
03-09-2016, 10:51 PM
No big deal for Timmons. He still gets all the cash. Should be easy to get done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 11:52 PM
i dont know if "late career Renaissance" is the right phrasing given that he isnt that old yet and he's only 2 years removed from a pro bowl berth, but i hope he goes back to that type of form for the remainder of his career

Cyphon25
03-10-2016, 06:03 AM
I don't mind a restructure but really he should be taking a pay cut. He is not worth that much at this point in his career.

steelreserve
03-10-2016, 09:07 AM
No big deal for Timmons. He still gets all the cash. Should be easy to get done.

I don't mind a restructure but really he should be taking a pay cut. He is not worth that much at this point in his career.

He would be taking a pay cut. Since he's in the last year of his contract, there is no "restructuring." It would be an extension that spreads the same amount of base salary over two or more years. So he'd be playing two years for the same amount of money he'd be making in one.

Or they might add a small amount of salary to it so that instead of $8.75M in 2016, he makes $5M in 2016 and $5M in 2017, just so it's not quite as unappealing. But it is not going to be a good deal for him. And as I said, there is no restructuring possible with one year left on a deal.

We really, really overpaid on this contract in the beginning, and now it's coming back to cause us problems. We were basically bidding against ourselves.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2016, 09:35 AM
He would be taking a pay cut. Since he's in the last year of his contract, there is no "restructuring." It would be an extension that spreads the same amount of base salary over two or more years. So he'd be playing two years for the same amount of money he'd be making in one.

Or they might add a small amount of salary to it so that instead of $8.75M in 2016, he makes $5M in 2016 and $5M in 2017, just so it's not quite as unappealing. But it is not going to be a good deal for him. And as I said, there is no restructuring possible with one year left on a deal.

We really, really overpaid on this contract in the beginning, and now it's coming back to cause us problems. We were basically bidding against ourselves.

alright, i dont get why you always seem to have this mentality. contract negotiations arent this utopia where the fans/front office get to pay the players EXACTLY the amount they want or below. You're going to have to pay some extra at times, and sometimes you get lucky like we have been in free agency so far.

We paid $10 million a year for a cerebral/durable/good kid off the field/all around pro bowl caliber ILB. Its definitely some extra, but we still kept one of our best defensive players off of it

tube517
03-10-2016, 09:51 AM
How many times has he had to restructure?

Found this.
http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/10/20/steelers-multiple-restructures-of-timmons-deal-may-not-impact-him-the-way-many-think/

steelreserve
03-10-2016, 11:18 AM
alright, i dont get why you always seem to have this mentality. contract negotiations arent this utopia where the fans/front office get to pay the players EXACTLY the amount they want or below. You're going to have to pay some extra at times, and sometimes you get lucky like we have been in free agency so far.

We paid $10 million a year for a cerebral/durable/good kid off the field/all around pro bowl caliber ILB. Its definitely some extra, but we still kept one of our best defensive players off of it

We paid $10M when we probably could've paid $7M or $8M. There was no reason to, and no, that wasn't "the market" at the time for a good ILB who was not as widely appreciated elsewhere as he was in Pittsburgh. Patrick Willis was making $10M a year as far and away THE best inside linebacker in the league. There was not huge hype around Timmons or other teams beating down the door with offers. We overpaid and we didn't need to.

I think we basically did it because we gave Woodley a huge deal the year before and didn't want the other guy to harbor resentment. That's a bad reason to do it, and poor negotiating.

Mojouw
03-10-2016, 11:21 AM
http://deadspin.com/tom-bradys-new-contract-is-great-for-everyone-1764008215

It is funny how perception is much of reality. The Pats are doing the same thing that the Steelers are doing. They apparently are geniuses and the Steelers are fools.

Again, I ask, why do I actually have to go to work each day? I could write the same drivel as these yahoos do. I mean anyone on here could.

Mojouw
03-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I hate to always be an argumentative ass, but it was never a 10 million per year deal UNTIL restructures got into the picture.

The original deal was 6 years, for 50 million. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6887222/pittsburgh-steelers-lawrence-timmons-signed-new-deal

Coming off his rookie deal, 8.3 million per year (obviously the deal was never structured that straightforwardly) for a 26 year old ILB that was one of the best 5-6 ILBs in the game going in to his prime years? It was a good deal. It really was.

Is it now? Not so much because of the restructures - but there are ways out of that.

If you go through the history here - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2015/base/inside-linebacker/

There is like only 2 seasons where Timmons actually played for a "salary" of over a million or less a year. Bottom line contracts are weird and they get weirder when you restructure the hell out of them.

polamalubeast
03-10-2016, 11:33 AM
We paid $10M when we probably could've paid $7M or $8M. There was no reason to, and no, that wasn't "the market" at the time for a good ILB who was not as widely appreciated elsewhere as he was in Pittsburgh. Patrick Willis was making $10M a year as far and away THE best inside linebacker in the league. There was not huge hype around Timmons or other teams beating down the door with offers. We overpaid and we didn't need to.

I think we basically did it because we gave Woodley a huge deal the year before and didn't want the other guy to harbor resentment. That's a bad reason to do it, and poor negotiating.

Firstly 2-3 million per year is not a big difference.Secondly, if you want to see overpaid players, look at the contracts that gave the Giants to a few players since the beginning of the week.

We must not make a big deal, if a player is overpaid by only 2 million if it is the case because many in the NFL are overpaying.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2016, 11:34 AM

again, theres always going to be a collection of players on any given team that get paid above their market value and below. even though i would have preferred a scenario this offseason where we:

1) Cut Timmons and open up $8.75 million in cap space
2) Use the money to fortify other areas of need and/OR use it to replace Timmons (With someone like Danny Trevathan, who the Bears signed to an absolute robbery at 4 years for $24.5 million)
3) Work in Spence/Williams if we don't replace Timmons

i think the path that were taking is understandable. at the time of the deal, i think most would agree that fretting over an extra +20-30% per yearly pay wasnt going to be worth the fuss. that being said, i do worry that Timmons is on the downslope of his career because he's started the last couple seasons a bit slow. But then again he's been durable and he's only 2 seasons removed from a pro bowl berth

Going back to Trevathan, it does irk me more now that i see how much cheaper Trevathan came than Timmons :lol:. Im guessing rejoining John Fox had something to do with it though. Can you guys imagine having the offseason that we've had so far plus the replacement of Timmons for Trevathan (which would also bring added cap space). Wow...

steelreserve
03-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Firstly 2-3 million per year is not a big difference.Secondly, if you want to see overpaid players, look at the contracts that gave the Giants to a few players since the beginning of the week.

We must not make a big deal, if a player is overpaid by only 2 million if it is the case because many in the NFL are overpaying.

2-3 million a year is a HUGE deal when you restructure your largest contracts every year .. so multiply that 2-3 million by 3 restructures and you wind up with an extra $6M or $9M in dead money in the last year. Gee, what do you know, that's exactly where we are now!