PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers Ask Cortez Allen To Take Pay Cut

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 04:12 PM

pczach
03-09-2016, 04:14 PM

It sounds like an ultimatum. Take a pay cut, or you're gone.

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 04:15 PM

I think he is gone.

86WARD
03-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Why? Just get him the hell out of there.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2016, 04:49 PM
Why? Just get him the hell out of there.

I agree, just get rid of him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 04:50 PM

http://www.livememe.com/utf81xd.jpg

steelreserve
03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
I was thinking of a pay cut too. A pay cut to $0.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 05:01 PM
just trying to create more cap room so we can sign Eric Weddle...:stirthepot: :poker:

zulater
03-09-2016, 05:05 PM
I hope he takes a pay cut and they move him to safety. I think he could be a good safety, maybe even very good. At the right price it would certainly be worth keeping him around long enough to find out.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 05:09 PM
I hope he takes a pay cut and they move him to safety. I think he could be a good safety, maybe even very good. At the right price it would certainly be worth keeping him around long enough to find out.

that's not a far-fetched idea, Cortez played free safety in college and he might have a lot easier time locating the ball facing the line of scrimmage playing safety instead of having to turn his back and run with wide receivers...

pczach
03-09-2016, 05:19 PM
There's a lot of speculation going on, but I have to admit, with the team asking Cortez Allen to take a pay cut, it may mean that they are trying to make some room for the addition of a significant FA player.

Weddle?

Think about it. They elect to keep a player already on the roster that knows the system. They try to get him to take a pay cut and throw him into the mix at cornerback with Golson coming back from injury. If they were then able to add a playmaking safety, the secondary is automatically improved. They will still address the secondary in the draft, but this may be a move they make to try to win championships over the next 2-3 years.

I don't normally drink the big free agent Kool-Aid, but I have to admit that there are a lot of signs that something is going on behind the scenes to make room for a deal. Maybe it's just to create more room under the cap for a more pedestrian move or for Ladarius Green, but it really makes you think about a potential deal with Weddle.

I'm not even saying I agree with it, but the complete lack of talk about Weddle visiting teams or getting offers, Gerry Dulac hinting at a potential signing, and Tomlin loving him as a player makes you wonder.

steelreserve
03-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Yeah, thinking about it a bit more, a pay cut actually lets us save MORE money this season than releasing him outright.

Release him now: $4.4M base salary saved, $2.7M dead money accelerates into this year = $1.7M saved

Whereas a pay cut can save anything up to about $3.8 million if he plays for the league minimum. It'll have to be a hell of a big pay cut, though.

But I think this has nothing to do with wanting to use him on the field this year, and everything to do with saving more money. They could literally be offering him a million bucks just to sit on the end of the bench or IR and not play, just because that saves them more cap space. Maybe they use this year to see if he can learn how to play safety; after all, why the hell not.

Also, if they use this as the tradeoff for letting Blake go, I am 1000% in favor of it.

Rotorhead
03-09-2016, 05:38 PM
I think prior to his injuries C Allen showed some good things, and they are giving him every chance to prove himself. Could be a bit of a confidence booster as well, but also saying this is your last chance if you want to stay on this team, time to put up or hit the door. Also makes room for Weddle either way, pay cut or June 1 designation. I am starting to get excited for next season! I hope the draft brings more good news!

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 05:44 PM

interesting idea. i would be pretty on board with this if we didnt have a great backup safety that is very capable of starting in a pinch (Golden). i think its too much of a gamble otherwise, because we'd essentially be paying a bit extra for a back up safety and we dont know if either of them can be really good ones. too many unknowns imo

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 06:01 PM
There's a lot of speculation going on, but I have to admit, with the team asking Cortez Allen to take a pay cut, it may mean that they are trying to make some room for the addition of a significant FA player.

Weddle?

Think about it. They elect to keep a player already on the roster that knows the system. They try to get him to take a pay cut and throw him into the mix at cornerback with Golson coming back from injury. If they were then able to add a playmaking safety, the secondary is automatically improved. They will still address the secondary in the draft, but this may be a move they make to try to win championships over the next 2-3 years.

I don't normally drink the big free agent Kool-Aid, but I have to admit that there are a lot of signs that something is going on behind the scenes to make room for a deal. Maybe it's just to create more room under the cap for a more pedestrian move or for Ladarius Green, but it really makes you think about a potential deal with Weddle.

I'm not even saying I agree with it, but the complete lack of talk about Weddle visiting teams or getting offers, Gerry Dulac hinting at a potential signing, and Tomlin loving him as a player makes you wonder.

I'll believe we are seriously close to a big free agency signing when we restructure Ben's and/or Heyward's contracts and/or give Timmons an extension to lower his cap money.

until then I don't believe we have the room to do so, or do we?

Shoes
03-09-2016, 06:40 PM
This guy hasn't had football on his mind for a long time. Sweed and Mendenhall are calling Cortez.

86WARD
03-09-2016, 06:52 PM
This guy hasn't had football on his mind for a long time. Sweed and Mendenhall are calling Cortez.

This. Easily falls right into that group.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Pay Cut Would Give Cortez Allen A Chance, And Steelers Options

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/pay-cut-give-cortez-allen-chance-steelers-options/

st33lersguy
03-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Just release him. He's become useless