PDA

View Full Version : CAN Dixon...?

SteelerEmpire
09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Lets see if we can logically build some trust in our man Dennis Dixon... (to reduce the anxiety).
Can he:

Hand the ball off ? Yes.
Drop back to pass out of the pocket ? Yes.
Roll out in a "play-action" style play ? Yes.
When he looks down field for his "hot" receiver, can he make the distinction
if he's open or not ? Yes.
If the receiver is open, can Dixon throw the ball accurately ? Yes.
If the receiver is NOT open, can Dixon scramble around until he spots one
that IS open ? Yes.
If Dixon cannot then find ANY receivers open, can he then run the
football (effectively) ? Yes.
If he cannot find any receiver open and the path to run the ball is closed, can he throw
the football away ? Yes.
Finally. WILL Dixon follow this basic QB'ing method (or one similar) for each and
every play while he's driving the ship ? The h*ll if I know !!!

So. From this factoring or simplification of his fundamental responsibilities at QB (a
position that he's played all his life), IF for some reason he has trouble with this
sequence, what can we attribute the cause or source of the problem of his
shortcomings ?

fansince'76
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
My biggest concern with Dixon is his patience. If his primary receiver is covered, he seems to have a tendency to run with it instead of going through his progressions.

GodfatherofSoul
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
There was a great example of this in the first or second pre-season game where he had someone 20 yards down field and wide open, but he chose to scramble. Still got the 1st from what I remember, but that's the difference between Big Ben and Little Den.

vasteeler
09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
i cant see why you put a yes next to all those questions. we have no idea what he can really do.:noidea:

steelpride12
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I just think Dixon still needs more reps to become more patient in the pocket and form into a comfortable passer. He is only 25, a young gun and plays like one as well. Sure he has his flashes of victory and all, but when pressure is in his face he throws it and "hopes" it's not picked off. Something that will go away over time and starts.

GoSlash27
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
You folks are stressing over a whole lotta nuthin' IMO.
Must I remind you what the spread was on that game he darn near won last year? And it's not like he stunk up the joint this pre-season. He threw *a* pick that can be fairly blamed on him, and all of a sudden he's unreliable?
Settle down, folks. Let's at least give the man a fair trial before we hang him...

steeldevil
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I think as long as our offense is called right and we dont set him up for failure with stupid plays, he will be fine. Also, it will likely be bad if we let atlanta take the lead with 2 minutes left. Not confident in Dixon's ability to pull a Ben....

SteelerEmpire
09-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I think as long as our offense is called right and we dont set him up for failure with stupid plays, he will be fine. Also, it will likely be bad if we let atlanta take the lead with 2 minutes left. Not confident in Dixon's ability to pull a Ben....

Yea. we'll see if the Defense has recovered from last year's pattern of blowing 4th Qtr leads; an issue we still have not "proven" (only "assumed" is fixed) to have resolved. If we go into the 4th Qtr trailing... Well, just cross your fingers...