PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Steelers positional needs, all positions

st33lersguy
03-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Here is my list of needs for the Steelers at all positions ranked from biggest need to smallest need

1. Cornerback: When your biggest need from last year isn't adequately addressed, it is likely going to be your biggest need again. They do not have a lot of proven talent at the position and it showed. They did re-sign William Gay who is their best corner, but outside of him they are thin on proven talent and it showed in the 30th ranking.

2. Defensive line: They do have an impressive DE duo in Tuitt and Heyward, but little behind him. Cam Thomas should not be on an NFL roster and Steve McClendon remains unsigned. The Steelers need another DE to keep Tuitt and Heyward fresh so the two don't wear down again

3. Safety: Mike Mitchell is a solid option, but they could use another talent across from him, especially with Will Allen not expected to re-sign. Robert Golden re-signed but he may be nothing more than a solid backup option.

4. Outside linebacker: I am not keen on seeing this team spend another 1st round pick on this position, but I still recognize that depth is thin. James Harrison is running out of time, Bud Dupree remains unproven, and Jarvis Jones is looking like a bust. Another pass rusher should be considered

5. Tight end: This is where we get to less pressing needs in my opinion. Tight end remains the biggest offensive need really just by default based on Heath Miller's retirement. However, based on how good the offense is and the amount of offensive weapons they already have, I would not view tight end as a primary need and don't see the value in spending big money on a free agent or a 1st round pick on one. Plus I would like to see what they have in Jesse James

6. Offensive line: Needs are getting less and less pressing at this point. This was not that big of a need to start with given the way Mike Munchak is able to work with o-linemen, but now with Ramon Foster being re-signed, it is even less pressing now. Alejandro Villanueva's performance reduced Beachum's value

7. Quarterback: You could argue putting QB above the other positions based on needing a no. 2, finding a possible replacement, and possibly even finding a QB goo enough to kick Landry Jones off to the team (if Tomlin snaps out of his infatuation with Jones for some reason)

8. Inside Linebacker: Depth is pretty solid here. Timmons is still here, albeit getting older. Shazier can be a star if he stays healthy, and they have some backups

9. Running back: Depth is pretty solid here. Bell is one of the best RBs in the league, DWil may be the best no. 2, and Toussaint and Todman played well enough in the playoffs (save for the fumble of course)

10. Wide receiver: Is there any room for another wide receiver on the roster? The DHB signing makes the depth on here pretty much full

Born2Steel
03-08-2016, 07:11 PM
About the RB position...with a healthy Bell we are great. Without Bell, Williams made us good. Without Williams, we are average. I would love to get someone at the Williams level to rotate in if Bell goes down again. This is just ranking need, not a draft thread. I think RB is greater than ILB and Oline. I would move ILB to 9, Oline to 8, keep QB at 7, and RB at 6.

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 07:36 PM
I would put QB and ILB above OL. I think there is a good chance Spence goes and they have only ever viewed Garvin as an ST guy. Zumwalt is a complete unknown. So that leaves you with Williams as the only (as far as we know at this point) reliable backup to 2 positions with 1 guy being old and the other a glass cannon. So ILB is kind of an under the radar need most don't talk about because we have 3 good guys there.

tube517
03-08-2016, 07:53 PM
I would put QB and ILB above OL. I think there is a good chance Spence goes and they have only ever viewed Garvin as an ST guy. Zumwalt is a complete unknown. So that leaves you with Williams as the only (as far as we know at this point) reliable backup to 2 positions with 1 guy being old and the other a glass cannon. So ILB is kind of an under the radar need most don't talk about because we have 3 good guys there.

Yeah, I keep forgetting Spence is a free agent.

katmandu
03-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I keep forgetting Spence is a free agent.Perhaps he's next to get re-signed ?

Don't discount Chickillio or Zumwalt.

polamalubeast
03-17-2016, 01:46 PM
1.DL
2.DB
3.OLB

st33lersguy
03-17-2016, 01:49 PM
I honestly had forgotten Spence was a free agent when I made this list, otherwise I probably would have put it above OL and QB. ILB is still not a vital need and the least of concerns on the defense, but a cheap option in free agency or a day 3 draft pick would be good

Cyphon25
03-17-2016, 02:19 PM
I honestly had forgotten Spence was a free agent when I made this list, otherwise I probably would have put it above OL and QB. ILB is still not a vital need and the least of concerns on the defense, but a cheap option in free agency or a day 3 draft pick would be good

Garvin just signed somewhere else as well.

Definitely getting thin at the position now.

Born2Steel
03-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Timmons, Shazier, Williams, Zumwalt, Fort, and Chickillo. Are we going to spend a high enough draft pick to get somebody with a better chance to get PT than these guys? Unless someone amazing falls, I don't see a ILB pick before rd 4, do you?

Cyphon25
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Timmons, Shazier, Williams, Zumwalt, Fort, and Chickillo. Are we going to spend a high enough draft pick to get somebody with a better chance to get PT than these guys? Unless someone amazing falls, I don't see a ILB pick before rd 4, do you?

Hard to say. It is really going to come down to BPA at that point. You listed a bunch of names but only a single one of those is a backup with playing time and Chickillo as an outside backer so far, no inside. So we have 1 backup for 2 positions with doubts. Shazier has been injured a lot and Timmons is getting up there in age with injuries likely to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't put ILB higher than 4th on the needs list but it is something to consider.

Born2Steel
03-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Hard to say. It is really going to come down to BPA at that point. You listed a bunch of names but only a single one of those is a backup with playing time and Chickillo as an outside backer so far, no inside. So we have 1 backup for 2 positions with doubts. Shazier has been injured a lot and Timmons is getting up there in age with injuries likely to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't put ILB higher than 4th on the needs list but it is something to consider.

Right. We know Timmons, Shaz, and Williams. Zumwalt 'should' see some reps if healthy? Chickillo, I had read somewhere maybe on here even, dropped weight and looks to move inside for depth. I think he was too small to play OLB for us anyway. There are a few hybrid ILB/Safety guys that could be special on our defense in this draft as well.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2016, 04:56 PM
oh brother. for all the talk about how Mclendon leaving makes drafting NT a must, i totally forgot that he's played plenty of DE for us as well. Id like to come away from FA with a position flexible DL so that it isnt such a huge necessity for us to double dip at DL in the draft

Born2Steel
03-17-2016, 06:44 PM
oh brother. for all the talk about how Mclendon leaving makes drafting NT a must, i totally forgot that he's played plenty of DE for us as well. Id like to come away from FA with a position flexible DL so that it isnt such a huge necessity for us to double dip at DL in the draft

You want Nick Fairly or Terrence Knighton? Seems to be about all that's left. Not even sure either of them would fall into the flexible category either. But yeah, I would have loved to have gotten someone there also.

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2016, 06:51 PM
You want Nick Fairly or Terrence Knighton? Seems to be about all that's left. Not even sure either of them would fall into the flexible category either. But yeah, I would have loved to have gotten someone there also.

I would definitely take Knighton as long as he's not looking for too much $$. He's a good NT.

We've got Walton and Lyons for DE line depth. I don't know what kind of player either is going to develop into though. Obviously a high draft pick would be preferable over either of them.

teegre
03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
If there were ever a year to draft two D-linemen, this is the draft.

One as a starter. One as a depth guy.

polamalubeast
03-17-2016, 07:02 PM
If there were ever a year to draft two D-linemen, this is the draft.

One as a starter. One as a depth guy.

Agree...2 DL,1 DB and 1 OLB in the first 4 round.....

steelerkitty
03-17-2016, 07:50 PM
I think we address another WR early on. Wheaton is a walk away free agent after next year. Who knows if Bryant will even be on the team. And DHB is just a guy. Yes we have Coates...but that is it. Depending on who is there and value wise, we could take one in round 2, but likely the 3rd round.

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Agree...2 DL,1 DB and 1 OLB in the first 4 round.....

I think we go NT/DT, DE/OLB, CB and S in the first 4 rounds, not necessarily in that order...

st33lersguy
04-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Thought I would update the rankings on the eve of the draft.

1. Cornerback: CB remains at no. 1 due to the lack of notable players added in free agency. Sure the CB corp may be better talent wise without Burntwon Blake, but a need to add good cover corners remain. D-line was under serious consideration for this spot though due to depth, but cornerback remained no. 1 due to the lack of depth at the position as well considering only 4 CBs on the roster either played NFL snaps or were 2015 draft picks. The top corner remains William Gay who although has made plays is 31 and has always been more of a caliber of a no. 2 corner.

2. Defensive line: Losing Steve McClendon made me really consider moving this to no. 1, but alas with Heyward and Tuitt, the need for a talent upgrade wasn't as big. Still though, given the importance of finding a rotation behind Heyward and Tuitt as well as the improvement this defense could enjoy from adding a versatile NT who can also rush the passer, drafting DL is of high importance. They added Ricardo Matthews, but he may be little more than a Cam Thomas clone

3. Safety: A viable starter across from Mike Mitchell remains yet to be added. Robert Golden is more suitable as a back-up and Sharmarko Thomas is more suitable as a benchwarmer

4. Outside Linebacker: Another top 4 need that went unaddressed in free agency. A day 2 need would probably be a good idea due to the lack of talent at the position, though I still would rather see the Steelers draft a different position this year at round 1

5. Offensive Line: The first change. Honestly you can make an argument that the rest of the positions are solid at the starting spots and that the only needs lie at depth. O-line was the top choice by default based on depth. They added Ryan Harris, but I am not sold on him and depth it is always good to have depth here. A day 3 prospect would be good here

6. Quarterback: I went QB here just because the depth behind Ben is shakier than depth at positions below. Landry Jones does not belong in the NFL. However, I am opposed to drafting a QB and feel a veteran should be added in free agency. I want a primary defensive focus early in the draft and with most round 6 and 7 prospects you will just get a guy like Landry Jones

7. Inside linebacker: When I first made this, I forgot Spence and Terrence Garvin were free agents. Depth took a minor (not major) hit with those two, though some of that depth was regained with signing Steven Johnson. Shazier's problems with injury and indication that Timmons might not be around much longer put ILB above the 3 positions below

8. Wide receiver: I put it above tight end and running back only because of losing Martavis Bryant which loses a valuable body at the position. Of course it is this low to begin with because they still have a lot of capable bodies at the position including the best WR in the NFL in AB.

9. Running back: Toussaint stepping up in the playoffs before the ill-fated fumble (which you could argue was a really good strip anyway) lessens the need for depth. Plus Bell and DWil remain ahead of him

10. Tight end: Really don't see the need to address this before undrafted free agency. Concerns about depth and finding a possible new no. 1 TE were alleviated with the Ladarius Green signing

steelreserve
04-27-2016, 03:34 PM
I would argue that DL is a bigger need than CB, simply because we actually do not have enough players to fill all the positions (unless we take some absolutely stupid chances).

At CB, the quality of the players is somewhat questionable, but we do have enough that there's a starter and a backup for each. I also think getting rid of Blake will improve the unit by about the equivalent of spending a third-round draft pick, simply because a default replacement-level player will be better than he was.

I would actually put safety above CB for the same reason as DL - we need at least one more guy simply to fill the minimum number of roster spots, although in this case an eventual starter would be great but a backup would be OK.

Personally, I think they address all three in some fashion.

Born2Steel
04-27-2016, 03:42 PM
I agree with this for the most part, and your reasons are sound. At OLine, I don't think we got better losing Beachem and picking up Harris. That is a lateral move at best, IMO. So a draft pick at this position is a solid move, even if only for the future. I still rank DL ahead of CB because I have complete faith in Golson being an upgrade. Much depends on Grant, a move to safety or stay at CB?

pczach
04-27-2016, 03:44 PM
I would argue that DL is a bigger need than CB, simply because we actually do not have enough players to fill all the positions (unless we take some absolutely stupid chances).

At CB, the quality of the players is somewhat questionable, but we do have enough that there's a starter and a backup for each. I also think getting rid of Blake will improve the unit by about the equivalent of spending a third-round draft pick, simply because a default replacement-level player will be better than he was.

I would actually put safety above CB for the same reason as DL - we need at least one more guy simply to fill the minimum number of roster spots, although in this case an eventual starter would be great but a backup would be OK.

Personally, I think they address all three in some fashion.

You really can look at it that way with DL and S. They literally don't have the bodies to fill the roster right now at those positions.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2016, 03:55 PM
We are fortunate the draft is top heavy in some our biggest positions of need.

So while I am leaning DL in the first round

I will be happy if they draft DL, SS & CB in any order in the first three rounds as long as they are drafting good value and good fit.

teegre
04-27-2016, 03:58 PM
We are fortunate the draft is top heavy in some our biggest positions of need.

So while I am leaning DL in the first round

I will be happy if they draft DL, SS & CB in any order in the first three rounds as long as they are drafting good value and good fit.

These are my thoughts to a TEE!!!