03-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Another solid re-signing

Born2Steel
03-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Patience is a good thing.

Dwinsgames
03-08-2016, 06:28 PM
awesome news ..

was one of the key deals to get done ( along with Gay )

5 deals completed now when you count in Greg Warren who is an important ST core player

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 06:29 PM
YES!!! We won't be drafting a guard now. Defense, defense, defense.

......Or Hunter Henry :/

ALLD
03-08-2016, 06:31 PM
I was surprised they got it done. It's getting back to basics for the team and sends a good message to the players.

zulater
03-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Good. I would assume this means Beachum is as good as gone, which isn't great, but it's also understandable. They had to keep at least one of them imo, so I'll take it!

86WARD
03-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Good re-signing.

steelreserve
03-08-2016, 06:49 PM
We are just KILLING IT in the last few days before free agency. I mean yeah, it's only re-signing our own players, but we've headed off several potential problems at a very reasonable price. And also so far steered clear of the worst problem players (Blake, Allen) and problem contracts (Beachum). Really liking the start we've got going.

zulater
03-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Hopefully McClendon is the next resigning.

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Hopefully McClendon is the next resigning.

For me wanting McClendon is dependent upon what the Steelers willing to do with him. If they will use him as a backup DE I want them to get him re-signed but if not I think you go DL in the draft (maybe twice) and move on from McClendon.

Mojouw
03-08-2016, 07:38 PM
For me wanting McClendon is dependent upon what the Steelers willing to do with him. If they will use him as a backup DE I want them to get him re-signed but if not I think you go DL in the draft (maybe twice) and move on from McClendon.

If he is willing to come back at the right price (I'm not sure what that is, but less than a ton of money), I say resign him. That gains the following in my mind:
1. Don't have to get a a starting NT in the draft - doesn't mean you can't but you aren't "forced" in to grabbing one.
2. If you do get a nice NT in the draft, McClendon can easily slide in as the 3rd DE and also share the NT role while the rookie gets up to speed.
3. Means you don't have to "count" on a rookie to play well and carry a high snap count (hopefully) deep into the season/playoffs.

But that is all price dependent. Like 3 million or less per year and call it good?

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2016, 07:46 PM
If he is willing to come back at the right price (I'm not sure what that is, but less than a ton of money), I say resign him. That gains the following in my mind:
1. Don't have to get a a starting NT in the draft - doesn't mean you can't but you aren't "forced" in to grabbing one.
2. If you do get a nice NT in the draft, McClendon can easily slide in as the 3rd DE and also share the NT role while the rookie gets up to speed.
3. Means you don't have to "count" on a rookie to play well and carry a high snap count (hopefully) deep into the season/playoffs.

But that is all price dependent. Like 3 million or less per year and call it good?

Yep. I'm good with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Another solid re-signing

Yes, very good. We're taking care of business instead of making splashes. It's important to get these guys under contract first.

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM

1. It would be interesting to see the Steelers board to further this conversation. From the outside looking in I almost want them to be forced because that is where the most value is at our pick. If we are lucky we get a CB falling to us like Mackensie Alexander but the likelihood isn't great and I have seen nothing about much value at S. So there really aren't many positions of need left.

2. I agree with your stance here and would prefer that, but the Steelers didn't use McClendon much like that last season from what I remember. Granted, he is the starting NT but with all of the snaps he got to take off you would think he could have been a viable rotation option.

3. True.

That sounds pretty reasonable although admittedly I don't know a ton about contract stuff. Would like to know how that lines up with other NT's.

salamander
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Liking what I'm seeing from the Steelers the last few days. :rockon:

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 08:56 PM

Shoes
03-08-2016, 09:00 PM
YES!!! We won't be drafting a guard now. Defense, defense, defense.

......Or Hunter Henry :/

Munch will get his pick.

Mojouw
03-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Holy crap! That would be amazing.

Shoes
03-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Holy crap! That would be amazing.

The FO has been busy the past few days. Good stuff.

teegre
03-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Beachum wants a ring.

Then, in 2017, he'll leave and make $12 million/year.

Shoes
03-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Beachum wants a ring.

Then, in 2017, he'll leave and make $12 million/year.

:chuckle: and the Steelers will win back to back SB's

teegre
03-08-2016, 10:02 PM
:chuckle: and the Steelers will win back to back SB's

I could live with that. :wink02:

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2016, 10:37 PM

WOW

Shoes
03-08-2016, 10:39 PM
I think the players are sniffing SB.

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 10:54 PM
I think the players are sniffing SB.

My thoughts exactly. Players choosing success over money....Although the money is still good.

Shoes
03-08-2016, 10:56 PM
My thoughts exactly. Players choosing success over money....Although the money is still good.

Isn't that the truth!

katmandu
03-08-2016, 11:04 PM
I think the players are sniffing SB.The puzzle pieces are coming together rather nicely!

Imperative that we get better-than-average backups now.

- - - Updated - - -

707396537652002817Back to start at LT or backup both LT/LG ??

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 11:12 PM
The puzzle pieces are coming together rather nicely!

Imperative that we get better-than-average backups now.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to start at LT or backup both LT/LG ??

No question that he is your starting LT if healthy. He is going to get paid a large sum of money and you don't pay that to a backup. He is also just better than Villanueva.

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 07:51 AM

Rotorhead
03-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Great signing, now we can use our first pick on a DL for the most value (unless a top CB drops to us) and our second pick on a good CB. If we can get a top 10 talent DL with our first pick (top 10 in most other drafts as this is deep with top talent at DL) then McLendon could just be a bonus pick and our rookie can rotate with Heyward and Tuitt and maybe even McClendon. This is shaping up to be a good off season. Lets hope for a good FA S or CB signing and I think we will have one of the best off seasons in a few years.

steelreserve
03-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Honestly, I would rather just see us cut McLendon loose and bring in an average DL player for depth at a similar price. McLendon is just one of those guys who I get the feeling that as long as he's on the team, they'll make him the starting NT no matter what, even if there are multiple better players behind him on the bench, and they'll never use him as a rotational DE even if he and the DEs would be better that way.

Kind of like an Antwon Blake situation where the guy is entrenched there until he drops dead, except that McLendon isn't anywhere near as bad as Blake, just not good enough to do what we need.

Bringing Beachum back would be great if it's the right price. If it's $6M or $7M and keeps us from bringing in the missing piece at DB or DL, then it would be a terrible mistake.

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 08:47 PM

salamander
03-09-2016, 09:07 PM

Damn those cheap Rooneys!! :lol: :lol:

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Damn those cheap Rooneys!! :lol: :lol:

teegre
03-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Holy crap!!! $3.2 million per season.

Yep, the front office is definitely killing it.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
best free agency period in recent memory, and its only been a day...

Mojouw
03-09-2016, 10:49 PM
All the contacts so far seem to be basically a series of one year deals. Continuing a trend that Started with Mitchell.

Perhaps once Timmons is done this whole crazy restructure game is lessened a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Re-Signing Of Ramon Foster Insulates Interior Line Depth

BY MATTHEW MARCZI MARCH 12, 2016

Ramon Foster, age 30, is entering his eighth professional season in the league, and after signing a new three-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers, he figures to spend at least 10 years of his career in Pittsburgh, if it happens to expand beyond that—beyond age 32.

It is also an interesting fact that, at age 30, he has never actually officially been an unrestricted free agent. When he re-signed with the Steelers back in 2013 on a three-year deal that formally put him in the starting lineup for the first time, he signed the day before free agency opened. Earlier this week, his new three-year deal was officially signed earlier in the day of the start of the new league year.

Of course, this is immaterial to the actual point, as a matter of fact, which is quite simply that the Steelers’ ability to lock up Foster long-term—at least, long-term for a 30-year-old lineman—is a very, very good thing.

It just so happens what while the team actually does have some intriguing, sufficient interior offensive line depth, none of those players would have been a suitable replacement in the starting lineup for Foster. Instead of needing to invest heavily in the line to replace Foster, they now have to do nothing to set their line for 2016.

The Steelers’ top interior reserve, Cody Wallace, actually started 18 games including the playoffs for the team last year—at center. But Wallace is a much better center than he is a guard, as was evidenced by his two-game stint replacing Foster due to an ankle injury early in the 2014 season.

Even the prospect of moving Wallace to center as a full-time starter (in a world in which Maurkice Pouncey doesn’t exist, of course) is not overly appealing. Some players are just career backups who are perfectly suitable for that role, but whom you would never want to pencil in to the starting lineup.

Coincidentally, that is what Foster was early in his career. Even in 2012, after drafting David DeCastro in the first round, the Steelers moved right tackle Willie Colon to left guard. Had DeCastro not gotten injured during the preseason that year, Foster would have been a backup, and his career may have taken a different path.

Instead, he started 16 games that year and played well, solidifying his stature in the team’s eyes and earning himself stability with a long-term contract the following offseason. He has another one of those again, and now the Steelers also have depth to go along behind him.

In addition to Wallace, the team also carries over from last season Chris Hubbard, who is being flexed out to an every-position reserve, even if he has minimal in-game experience. The team is also high on 2015 priority undrafted free agent B.J. Finney, who spent all of his time after rehabbing an injury on the practice squad. They even paid him a full salary by the end of the year.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/re-signing-ramon-foster-insulates-interior-line-depth/

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Steelers re-sign G Ramon Foster (3 years, $9.6M; $2.75M guaranteed): A Grade

Pittsburgh usually doesn't do very much in free agency, which is a good thing, as the incompetent teams tend to overspend on the open market. However, the Steelers seem to make it count whenever they do something, like signing Ladarius Green. Here, they managed to keep their top free agent at an unbelievable price.

I can't believe Pittsburgh was able to re-sign Ramon Foster to a deal worth slightly more than $3 million per season. Foster was the sixth-ranked guard on my list, and the player slotted right ahead of him, Richie Incognito, received about $15 million over three years. I graded that as a B+ for the Bills, so this is an easy "A" for Pittsburgh. Foster, who was terrific last season, should continue to play well, as he's only 30.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#OUfzHFPEDO06D8C3.99

salamander
03-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Foster, Gay, and Golden all re-signed, Green signed, and Blake is officially gone. It's been a good off season so far (minus Martavis Bryant).

86WARD
03-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Bryant soils it for me big time in what otherwise would be a close to perfect offseason to date. I'd also like to see another veteran CB in here.

zulater
03-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Bryant soils it for me big time in what otherwise would be a close to perfect offseason to date. I'd also like to see another veteran CB in here.

Just be glad we got Sammy Coates in last years draft. I think Sammy can be a big help in replacing Bryant. But Bryant is a freak and no doubt we would have been better with him than without him no matter how good Coates turns out.

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Just be glad we got Sammy Coates in last years draft. I think Sammy can be a big help in replacing Bryant. But Bryant is a freak and no doubt we would have been better with him than without him no matter how good Coates turns out.

I Love Coates as well. But I am also very worried about quality proven WR depth. I mean okay, we have Brown, and he is the best in the business. Wheaton is fine. But after that ? Sorry but DHB has proven little to me as a WR. Yes he is very good as a ST player, and situational 4th WR. But, it he goes down or Wheaton goes down, then what ? Sorry but Sammie right now is not near ready. Maybe he can be the 5th option on the field at times. But as a solid 3rd WR ?...I don't know. Personally, I would not mind if the Steelers maybe looked into signing " Anquan Boldin " for the year. He says he still intends to play, and he is a solid Vet WR who not only could help Coates learn the game in some aspects...since both are similar players in size and Build. But as a Inside 3rd WR option. But, if we go with just the status quo...we are taking a risk.

zulater
03-19-2016, 04:40 PM
I Love Coates as well. But I am also very worried about quality proven WR depth. I mean okay, we have Brown, and he is the best in the business. Wheaton is fine. But after that ? Sorry but DHB has proven little to me as a WR. Yes he is very good as a ST player, and situational 4th WR. But, it he goes down or Wheaton goes down, then what ? Sorry but Sammie right now is not near ready. Maybe he can be the 5th option on the field at times. But as a solid 3rd WR ?...I don't know. Personally, I would not mind if the Steelers maybe looked into signing " Anquan Boldin " for the year. He says he still intends to play, and he is a solid Vet WR who not only could help Coates learn the game in some aspects...since both are similar players in size and Build. But as a Inside 3rd WR option. But, if we go with just the status quo...we are taking a risk.

Look at the receivers we had on the roster when we won SB 40. Cedric Wilson was a starting wr opposite Hines Ward. Ben can make an average receiver look pretty good. So don't fret it too much.

polamalubeast
03-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Look at the receivers we had on the roster when we won SB 40. Cedric Wilson was a starting wr opposite Hines Ward. Ben can make an average receiver look pretty good. So don't fret it too much.

The team is completely different now.

If Coates becomes good, we'll be fine at this position too.

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 04:55 PM

OMG!! That is the single most stupidest statement I have ever read. Super Bowl 40 ??? First off son..we had the BEST Defense in the league that year. And second...in that game Ben had the WORST Super Bowl ever recorded for a QB. He had ZER TD's and 2 Interceptions. Our ONLY TD was thrown by Randle El. And you use THAT as your WR Depth argument ?

LMMFAO!!! :dance:

polamalubeast
03-19-2016, 05:00 PM
OMG!! That is the single most stupidest statement I have ever read. Super Bowl 40 ??? First off son..we had the BEST Defense in the league that year. And second...in that game Ben had the WORST Super Bowl ever recorded for a QB. He had ZER TD's and 2 Interceptions. Our ONLY TD was thrown by Randle El. And you use THAT as your WR Depth argument ?

Ben has not been to the SB by invitation!

Look at the three road playoff games before the Super Bowl ..... 7 TD, 1 INT with a QB rating of 125.0 in 3 games.

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Ben has not been to the SB by invitation!

Look at the three road playoff games before the Super Bowl ..... 7 TD, 1 INT with a QB rating of 125.0 in 3 games.

They were great stats for those 3 games. But I can also Cherry pick the 3 games Joe Flacco had when he won his Super Bowl.....want me to tell you what those were ?...Cause they were TWICE as good as Ben's 3 games that year. So by proxy you MUST be saying that Joe Flacco is better then Big Ben.....right ??? ( LOL @ U )

polamalubeast
03-19-2016, 05:32 PM
They were great stats for those 3 games. But I can also Cherry pick the 3 games Joe Flacco had when he won his Super Bowl.....want me to tell you what those were ?...Cause they were TWICE as good as Ben's 3 games that year. So by proxy you MUST be saying that Joe Flacco is better then Big Ben.....right ??? ( LOL @ U )

Flacco had probably the best playoff run of all-time in 2012 with Joe Montana in 1989.But that does not mean he's better than Ben or another QB.

I do not know what's your point.

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Flacco had probably the best playoff run of all-time in 2012 with Joe Montana in 1989.But that does not mean he's better than Ben or another QB.

I do not know what's your point.

My point was that Ben cannot just make ANY WR look great...like that other poster said when I suggested that we may be smart to sign another Vet WR just in case. Cause IF we lose say a Wheaton, or God forbid Antonio for any amount of time...a proven WR like Anquan Boldin could sure come in handy. Cause I do not trust DHB as a 3rd WR. And Coates has one catch under his belt. Yes we have Green. But he is not a great Receiver when it comes to routes, or with his hands. And as much as I like Jesse James, he also is not quite proven as of yet. Yes we could draft a WR. But rookies rarely make a huge difference. A WR like Boldin could assist Ben in short area situations, and help teach young Mr.Coates how to use that big strong Body to work his backside reception skills, and use his strength.

That was my point.

zulater
03-19-2016, 06:27 PM

Son? My father called me son, my sergeant in the Air Force called me son. I long since have ended my military stay and my father died in 94, since then no one calls me "son", you don't have that right and I'd advice you not to do it again.

Second, you think the Steelers were invited to SB 40? You miss the AFC playoffs? Yeah Ben didn't have a good statistical game in SB 40 ( but it wasn't nearly as bad as you believe) but he sure as hell rocked the playoffs and the regular season.

And I think you're confusing the 08 season with the 05, so before calling someone stupid at least have your effing facts straight or else you look like an asshole. Just saying. :coffee:

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Son? My father called me son, my sergeant in the Air Force called me son. I long since have ended my military stay and my father died in 94, since then no one calls me "son", you don't have that right and I'd advice you not to do it again.

Second, you think the Steelers were invited to SB 40? You miss the AFC playoffs? Yeah Ben didn't have a good statistical game in SB 40 ( but it wasn't nearly as bad as you believe) but he sure as hell rocked the playoffs and the regular season.

And I think you're confusing the 08 season with the 05, so before calling someone stupid at least have your effing facts straight or else you look like an asshole. Just saying. :coffee:

No I am not confusing it...you are Young man ( That better ? )...you said 2005, and in that season Ben was still a unknown, and he had the benefit of the best defense, a great running game, ect. He did not make WR better. He is better now. But, we still need WR depth. I mean look how bad we tailed off without Brown. Now Anquan is not Brown. But, he sure is a better safety blanket then DHB and Coates are.

hawaiiansteeler
03-19-2016, 06:38 PM
( LOL @ U )

what are you, like 12 years old?

whatever point you were trying to make gets completely obliterated when you end your post with this type of a childish remark. if you expect others to treat you with respect then grow up and treat other posters with that same type of respect also.

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 06:42 PM
what are you, like 12 years old?

whatever point you were trying to make gets completely obliterated when you end your post with this type of a childish remark. if you expect others to treat you with respect then grow up and treat other posters with that same type of respect also.

Sorry that wasn't my objective. I was just trying to suggest that MAYBE it might be a good idea to have another Vet tested WR just in case.

zulater
03-19-2016, 06:59 PM
No I am not confusing it...you are Young man ( That better ? )...you said 2005, and in that season Ben was still a unknown, and he had the benefit of the best defense, a great running game, ect. He did not make WR better. He is better now. But, we still need WR depth. I mean look how bad we tailed off without Brown. Now Anquan is not Brown. But, he sure is a better safety blanket then DHB and Coates are.

No I'm not a young man I've likely seen a lot more Steeler games than you have. Regardless the Steelers offense didn't get dragged along for the ride in 05 as you seem to have "misremembered". They were 9th in the league in points scored, 15th in total yards, 10th in yards per play, and 3rd in yards per pass play .So I think Ben earned his ring after all.

As far as Bolden goes, that doesn't seem like the sort of player the Steelers would target, but if they do that would be fine by me. My guess is if they go off roster for a veteran free agent wideout it will be someone a little more off the radar- someone in the Jericho Cotchery mold. I don't have a name to throw at you and I'm not going to bother trying to figure one out because I don't have any control over it anyway, so I'll reserve my commentary for such time as when they sign a veteran free agent or it becomes evident they wont. In the end if there's one position we should trust the Steelers judgement on based on recent history its this position. So be it draft choice, veteran free agent or status quo, I've got faith the Steelers will field a more than respectable crop of receivers this year

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 07:04 PM
No I'm not a young man I've likely seen a lot more Steeler games than you have. Regardless the Steelers offense didn't get dragged along for the ride in 05 as you seem to have "misremembered". They were 9th in the league in points scored, 15th in total yards, 10th in yards per play, and 3rd in yards per pass play.So I think Ben earned his ring after all.

As far as Bolden goes, that doesn't seem like the sort of player the Steelers would target, but if they do that would be fine by me. My guess is if they go off roster for a veteran free agent wideout it will be someone a little more off the radar- someone in the Jericho Cotchery mold. I don't have a name to throw at you and I'm not going to bother trying to figure one out because I don't have any control over it anyway, so I'll reserve my commentary for such time as when they sign a veteran free agent or it becomes evident they wont. In the end if there's one position we should trust the Steelers judgement on based on recent history its this position. So be it draft choice, veteran free agent or status quo, I've got faith the Steelers will field a more than respectable crop of receiversthis year

Fine. I just hope that we stay healthy, and won't really need a WR. As for other Vets....hey, Nate Washington is out there still :-)

zulater
03-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Fine. I just hope that we stay healthy, and won't really need a WR. As for other Vets....hey, Nate Washington is out there still :-)

Yeah no argument there. Just let me add that both DeAngelo Williams and LeVeon Bell project be a big part of our passing offense this year. Bell especially, as he can line up in any receiver position on the field and more than hold his own. So when we go 4 or even 5 wide there wont be any empty uniforms lining up.

And I don't know if you were just being flippant or were serious about Nate Washington? But that wouldn't be a bad place to look. He had a pretty nice season last year actually. 47 catches- 658 yards, 14 yards per catch, and 4 td's in 14 games. Hell yeah Ill take that as an insurance policy.:applaudit:

GBMelBlount
03-19-2016, 07:20 PM

This is also why I am glad we picked up Ladarius Green at TE.

Instant upgrade at TE and Ben can likely lean on him if we are thin at WR.

steelerkitty
03-19-2016, 07:23 PM
This is also why I am glad we picked up Ladarius Green at TE.

Instant upgrade at TE and Ben can likely lean on him if we are thin at WR.

Green has good physical traits for sure. But he is a very bad fundamental player. And his hands are very below average. I am glad to have him yes. But he is not the safety valve that Heath was. And is not near the Blocker.

Hawkman
03-19-2016, 08:07 PM
How the hell did thread get from Foster re-signing to where it is now?

zulater
03-19-2016, 08:13 PM
How the hell did thread get from Foster re-signing to where it is now?

Start with post 40, and it went from there.

salamander
03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Start with post 40, and it went from there.

All I did was make a general statement that it's been a good off-season so far. :noidea:

zulater
03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
All I did was make a general statement that it's been a good off-season so far. :noidea:

I wasn't pointing an accusatory finger at you (or anyone else for that matter) or claiming you said anything off topic or wrong. I was just saying starting from there the conversation evolved outward, as tends to happen sometimes. I just answered the mans's question as best able.