PDA

View Full Version : Steelers re-sign William Gay

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 10:45 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-re-sign-cb-william-gay/

Not contract details yet but I would say they are 3 for 3 in the players they have re-signed so far. Maybe understated when we aren't bringing in big name guys in the offseason but these are key pieces to our success.

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 10:52 AM
This is not a surprise.I would have been very surprised to see Gay leave the steelers.

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2016, 11:15 AM
what a great start. Mclendon, Foster, Legursky next please!

salamander
03-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Glad to see it.

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Legusrky?

I mean, I guess wouldn't mind but I don't see them bringing him back again.

BlackAndGold
03-08-2016, 11:26 AM
I see no reason why to bring back Legursky.

Hope McLendon is next.

Osemele signs for $11.7M as a guard, so it's possible Foster heads elsewhere if he wants the $$$

BigNastyDefense
03-08-2016, 11:35 AM
I see no reason why to bring back Legursky.

Hope McLendon is next.

Osemele signs for $11.7M as a guard, so it's possible Foster heads elsewhere if he wants the $$$

Foster isn't nearly as good as Osemele. If someone offers him that range, they can have him.

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Legusrky?

I mean, I guess wouldn't mind but I don't see them bringing him back again.

we can get him back for close to nothing. he can play guard and center. he has a lot of starting experience. he knows our offense

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Gay has not allowed a TD in 2015!

steelreserve
03-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Nice .... and just as importantly, so far they have NOT re-signed Antwon Blake!

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Nice .... and just as importantly, so far they have NOT re-signed Antwon Blake!

Several heads will explode if the Steelers sign Blake!

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 12:00 PM
we can get him back for close to nothing. he can play guard and center. he has a lot of starting experience. he knows our offense

True but that spot belongs to Cody Wallace. If I remember right Legursky was brought in once it was a sure thing Pouncey wasn't coming back. So with Pouncey back and Wallace filling that role Legursky is likely the odd man out again.

Rotorhead
03-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Woohoo, that helps with our draft and outside FA issues as well. I would like them to finish up with McClendon and Foster and at least on other improvement pick CB in FA.

slippy
03-08-2016, 12:13 PM
saw enough of Legursky in SB45 to last a lifetime ... pass.

steelreserve
03-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Legursky is a replacement-level player at this point, the default minimum. I guess I'd take him back as a backup if we have to - but hopefully we can find someone better. Even give a shot to a late-round draft pick with a little potential.

Of course, if we lose both Foster AND Beachum, all of a sudden that move might make more sense. Hopefully we get news to the contrary at some point today.

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2016, 12:29 PM
True but that spot belongs to Cody Wallace. If I remember right Legursky was brought in once it was a sure thing Pouncey wasn't coming back. So with Pouncey back and Wallace filling that role Legursky is likely the odd man out again.

depends on how many O-linemen you want on the 53 man roster i suppose

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2016, 12:45 PM

I agree with McLendon and Foster but highly doubt we bring back Legs...

tube517
03-08-2016, 12:48 PM
The Big Legursky is probably done.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/2015-player-exit-meetings-c-doug-legursky/

Shoes
03-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Good news on the Gay signing. I think I'd pass on Legursky. Munch is going to get a pick somewhere in this draft, probably OG Josh Garnett or the human pitbull C Jack Allen.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jack-allen?id=2555183

st33lersguy
03-08-2016, 01:30 PM
This re-signing needed to happen. Glad it did

Dwinsgames
03-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Foster isn't nearly as good as Osemele. If someone offers him that range, they can have him.

is probably going to play Tackle in 2016 , but still quite the gamble financially if he can't pull it off

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Good news on the Gay signing. I think I'd pass on Legursky. Munch is going to get a pick somewhere in this draft, probably OG Josh Garnett or the human pitbull C Jack Allen.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jack-allen?id=2555183

Mock Draft Monday: Steelers go offense in 1st round of 2016 NFL Draft

By Jeff.Hartman on Mar 7, 2016

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/oRwJE_CH79O4mUXAynn4O1yHTx0=/0x296:2176x1747/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49015171/usa-today-8174911.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a lethal offense heading into 2016, so why not add to it with another offensive weapon in the first round of the NFL Draft?

The Pittsburgh Steelers have already struck gold by taking an offensive guard from Stanford in the first round. The evidence would be none other than Pro Bowl player David DeCastro. If it worked once, why not try again, but this time on the left side with Stanford guard Joshua Garnett?

Before fans of the black and gold throw their computers out the windows for the team even considering an offensive player in the first round over the many holes on the defensive side of the ball, taking a player like Garnett makes sense, and is why Jon Ledyard of The Draft Wire has this pick taking place in his latest mock draft.

See what Ledyard has to say about the prediction:

25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Stanford OG, Joshua Garnett

Scouting Report

Overview: The Steelers desperately need depth along the offensive line, and could be looking for a starter if Ramon Foster departs in free agency. Garnett can run gap or zone schemes coming from Stanford's pro-style offense, showing incredible power in the run game to displace defenders and open holes. Given Garnett's character, work ethic, intensity, smarts, and college of choice, there may not be a more obvious fit in the draft.

Selecting talent at the No. 25 position in the NFL Draft is far from a certainty. Instead of picking from whichever player you want, it turns into selecting from what is left. This is one of the main reasons the Steelers have adopted the 'Best Player Available' theory when approaching the draft. There is a good chance all the high end defensive players will be off the board before the Steelers select, and if the team loses Ramon Foster via free agency, this pick wouldn't be a luxury, but a necessity.

If Garnett does happen to be the Steelers' top choice this April, it would make for a dynamic interior line with DeCastro, Maurkice Pouncey and Garnett making up the offense's guards and center positions. It could be quite the dynamic for a team with two capable running backs in Le'Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams, and a quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger who can pick any defense apart if given the time to do so.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/3/7/11170922/mock-draft-monday-steelers-go-offense-in-1st-round-of-2016-nfl-draft

teegre
03-08-2016, 01:51 PM
I love me some Josh Garnett.

Go Trees!!!!!!!

But, I think that he could be taken at 58. (Not that I thik that they should go OG, but if they do...)

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Colbert deserves to be fired if they draft an offensive player in the first 2 round.You can not win a Super Bowl with this defense.

Cyphon25
03-08-2016, 02:00 PM
I much prefer they come to an agreement with Foster or if they do have to draft a guard try to grab Westerman later so we can still go D early.

86WARD
03-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Good re-signing as long as he's not penciled in as a starter in their plans.

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Good re-signing as long as he's not penciled in as a starter in their plans.

imo if Golson proves he can handle the slot then I believe Willie starts on the outside. if Golson can't, Gay will be our starting slot CB.

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 09:06 PM

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 12:52 AM
Big fan of Willie Gay, he may be 31, but he still has a lot left in the tank.

I definitely believe he'll finishes his 3 year contract here while being a contributor on the field.

pczach
03-09-2016, 06:15 AM
So far the Steelers have done exactly what they need to do to impove this team. Sign the players that aren't part of the problem and leave the rest of the resources and draft picks for addressing positions and players that are part of the problem.

All good moves to this point.

teegre
03-09-2016, 06:19 AM

Thus far, this offseason has been an A.

(Welcome, brother.)

Born2Steel
03-09-2016, 10:11 AM
So with Gay and Golson, does that narrow the list of 1st rd CBs that we will consider draftable? Looks like the slot is covered. Even with the 'size issue', both guys can play outside, but are perfect for the slot position. Who does that leave as good CB picks at 25?

Cyphon25
03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
So with Gay and Golson, does that narrow the list of 1st rd CBs that we will consider draftable? Looks like the slot is covered. Even with the 'size issue', both guys can play outside, but are perfect for the slot position. Who does that leave as good CB picks at 25?

Mackensie Alexander is the only one I would take at 25 not named Ramsey or Hargreaves. The other names they keep putting with us are Apple, Fuller and Jackson all with potential to be around at our pick but in my mind Alexander is the guy. I just can't get past that 29% QB success rate with balls thrown his way.

Born2Steel
03-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Which receiver did Alexander cover? 5'10" against NFL receivers on the outside is where he loses my interest.

steelreserve
03-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Which receiver did Alexander cover? 5'10" against NFL receivers on the outside is where he loses my interest.

You know, there are not very many receivers who are 6'4" or 6'5" with above-average speed and skill. There are a handful of those guys in the league, which is why they're among the best in the game - and I'm not aware of anyone tall or short who has much success stopping them consistently. Most NFL WRs are more like 5'10" to 6'1" themselves.

Seattle's defensive backs a couple years ago were an inch taller than usual and everyone went apeshit thinking they had found the new magic formula for success. Spoiler: There is no magic formula; their DBs were just good and they get away with holding a lot. The fact that they happened to be slightly taller doesn't mean anything. People are just hung up on it.

Born2Steel
03-09-2016, 11:50 AM
In the AFC North we cover AJ Green 6'4", Sanu 6'2", the Bungles shortest TE is 6'6", Perriman is 6'2", Ratbirds TEs are 6'4", Gordon 6'3", Hartline 6'2', Terrelle Pryor is 6'4", Barnidge is 6'6". Maybe the average is 5'10"- 6'1", but not in our division. Again though, I have not watched a single play by Alexander. He may be the second coming of Rod Woodson as far as I know. I'm just venting concern that he is only 5'10" or 5'11" depending on the site, and he has zero INTs, plus he wasn't targeted much to get a great feel for his ability, IMO. He looks to me like a Boom or Bust at best. Just cautious, very cautious.

Cyphon25
03-09-2016, 12:16 PM
In the AFC North we cover AJ Green 6'4", Sanu 6'2", the Bungles shortest TE is 6'6", Perriman is 6'2", Ratbirds TEs are 6'4", Gordon 6'3", Hartline 6'2', Terrelle Pryor is 6'4", Barnidge is 6'6". Maybe the average is 5'10"- 6'1", but not in our division. Again though, I have not watched a single play by Alexander. He may be the second coming of Rod Woodson as far as I know. I'm just venting concern that he is only 5'10" or 5'11" depending on the site, and he has zero INTs, plus he wasn't targeted much to get a great feel for his ability, IMO. He looks to me like a Boom or Bust at best. Just cautious, very cautious.

The height concern doesn't exist for the Steelers though. Golson is short, Blake is short and Gay is short.

I want to give you 2 points for your other concern.

1. Jalen Ramsey who is considered the number almost unanimously the number 1 DB in the draft had 0 INT's in 2015.

2. He wasn't targeted because QB's didn't want to test him. Do you hold not being targeted against Derrell Revis?

I am not saying Alexander will be the next Rod Woodson since you can just never know but these concerns I see people keep talking about just aren't consistent.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 12:33 PM
So far the Steelers have done exactly what they need to do to impove this team. Sign the players that aren't part of the problem and leave the rest of the resources and draft picks for addressing positions and players that are part of the problem.

what's up zach, it's nice to see you posting here! :drink:

and I agree, all good moves to this point. it will be interesting to see if they also try to re-sign McLendon or allow him to leave in free agency...

86WARD
03-09-2016, 12:40 PM
imo if Golson proves he can handle the slot then I believe Willie starts on the outside. if Golson can't, Gay will be our starting slot CB.

That's bad IMO.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 12:46 PM
That's bad IMO.

I would think Gay starts over Cockring on the outside so even if we were to acquire another stud CB Gay would most likely still start...

Born2Steel
03-09-2016, 01:10 PM
The height concern doesn't exist for the Steelers though. Golson is short, Blake is short and Gay is short.

I want to give you 2 points for your other concern.

1. Jalen Ramsey who is considered the number almost unanimously the number 1 DB in the draft had 0 INT's in 2015.

2. He wasn't targeted because QB's didn't want to test him. Do you hold not being targeted against Derrell Revis?

I am not saying Alexander will be the next Rod Woodson since you can just never know but these concerns I see people keep talking about just aren't consistent.

1. I did watch Ramsay play some games.

2. NFL QBs will test him.

Drafting him concerns at 25 concerns me due to unknowns.

pczach
03-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Thus far, this offseason has been an A.

(Welcome, brother.)

Thanks, brother!

pczach
03-09-2016, 04:08 PM
what's up zach, it's nice to see you posting here! :drink:

and I agree, all good moves to this point. it will be interesting to see if they also try to re-sign McLendon or allow him to leave in free agency...

Hey Buddy, what's up!

I just wanted to check out a different message board after the crap that just went down at SX. You know what I'm talking about.... :no: Glad to see a lot of friends and familiar faces here.

Yep, they've been signing their own so far. I wonder where the line is for how many of the current players they can sign before they can't sign any quality free agents from outside the organization. Signing their own offensive players makes sense. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Focus on new talent on the defensive side of the ball and possibly TE.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Focus on new talent on the defensive side of the ball and possibly TE.

I think we'll draft all defense except for maybe a punt/kickoff return type of player like RB Tyler Ervin from San Jose St and possibly a new young backup QB we can try to develop for the future.

and good call on the TE, we just signed Ledarius Green who Pro Football Focus had rated as the 2nd best TE available in free agency...

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Steelers re-sign CB William Gay (3 years, $7.5 million): B+ Grade

The Steelers don't have much talent in their secondary, but one of the few skilled players in the defensive backfield is William Gay, who performed like a solid No. 2 corner last year. Thus, it's not like there's anything wrong with re-signing Gay; keeping him was important.

Gay turned 31 this offseason, but he should play well over the next year or two. Even if he regresses, the Steelers aren't risking much with this minuscule 3-year, $7.5 million contract. This is a solid re-signing that doesn't have any sort of downside.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#trg3cGqtB0U15Fow.99

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Steelers re-sign CB William Gay (3 years, $7.5 million): B+ Grade

The Steelers don't have much talent in their secondary, but one of the few skilled players in the defensive backfield is William Gay, who performed like a solid No. 2 corner last year. Thus, it's not like there's anything wrong with re-signing Gay; keeping him was important.

Gay turned 31 this offseason, but he should play well over the next year or two. Even if he regresses, the Steelers aren't risking much with this minuscule 3-year, $7.5 million contract. This is a solid re-signing that doesn't have any sort of downside.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#trg3cGqtB0U15Fow.99

It was very important. What are we looking at if he didn't re-sign? We will have to draft CBs just to have bodies in camp. Been said that Grant is probably headed to safety, right? Cortez, Cockrell, and Golson would be all we had. Gay was a must get signed now guy. 'Obviously' Grant would not have moved, but you see the point.