PDA

View Full Version : Redskins release S Dashon Goldson

steelreserve
03-08-2016, 12:05 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/redskins-also-release-dashon-goldson-jeron-johnson/

Now here's an interesting twist. For all the focus on Eric Weddle, here's a guy who's roughly the same age and same situation, still playing well, and probably has another good season or two left.

Goldson probably wouldn't be quite as good of a match for us personnel-wise, and definitely not as versatile. BUT, he figures to be somewhat more affordable and more "available," as I don't think trying to sign him will be quite the hyped-up, high-stakes derby.

I'm clearly not advocating him as a superior alternative to Weddle, but this news could do two things for us: 1) Relieve a little bidding pressure from the Weddle Sweepstakes if one or more of his suitors decide it's not an all-or-nothing arms race; or 2) Provide a Plan B at a potentially reasonable price.

I do think he's still a fit in our scheme, since his skills in coverage would let Mitchell fill more of a SS role, which would be good. If he's half the player he was with the 49ers, and it seems like he is, he'd be an improvement over our current situation. Not necessarily a first choice, but great that there's another potential option out there. It will be interesting to see what he costs. If I were Colbert, I'd have him in a drunk Uber to Pittsburgh right now to see if it's a possibility.

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2016, 12:27 AM
"The move saves Washington $8 million in salary-cap space. But a source said there's a chance the Redskins will re-sign Goldson at a lower cost. They have said in the past that they liked how he performed in 2016, but wanted him to take a pay cut.

Goldson started 15 regular season games for Washington this season as well as their playoff game vs. Green Bay.

Goldson finished with a career-best 110 tackles this past season, his first with the Redskins. They obtained him in a trade last spring from Tampa Bay, where he spent two seasons. Goldson earned two Pro Bowl berths in six seasons with San Francisco."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14921930/dashon-goldson-released-washington-redskins

steelreserve
03-08-2016, 04:08 AM
"The move saves Washington $8 million in salary-cap space. But a source said there's a chance the Redskins will re-sign Goldson at a lower cost. They have said in the past that they liked how he performed in 2016, but wanted him to take a pay cut.

Now THERE was a team-friendly contract with a fake last 2 years if I ever saw one.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/dashon-goldson/

Basically, "After year 3, we're giving you a pay cut or releasing you at zero risk to us, unless you've turned into one of the best players in the league by then." And the Bucs picked up his entire salary for last season. A one-year free rental for the Redskins, and now he's about as free as a free agent can be. Read between the lines any more than a blind man, and there's no way he's getting anywhere close to $8 million on the market. Maybe half that. So, an intriguing extra option there.