PDA

View Full Version : 20 most valuable/ best Steelers 1980 on

zulater
03-06-2016, 07:45 PM
I have two stipulations for who I qualified. 1 A player must have had at least 3 quality seasons in a Steelers uniform. 2. Any Steelers that played on the 70's Championship teams is not eligible. For example I know Terry Bradshaw, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, and Mike Webster all had 3 or more quality seasons in the 80's. But the point of this is to make a team comprised of post 70's Super Bowl Steelers. So without further ado here's my list.

1. Ben Roethisberger. I'm not saying he's the best necessarily, (though he's in the discussion) but he's sure the most significant and influential.

2. Rod Woodson. First ballot HOF'er. He's probably the best post 70's Steelers as far as talent and overall value as an NFL player. Simply a great who not only was one of the games all time best cb's ( didn't play safety as a Steeler) he was also one of the league best returners. And of course along with being tremendous in coverage and a ball hawk, he also tackled like a lb. But the reason I put Ben above him is because qb's are more valuable than any other position on the field. For example say you had a team with only two weaknesses, one being QB and the other CB. And you can draft either Ben or Rod, which one are you taking? Me, I go the qb every single time. As great as Woodson was there were some years the Steelers struggled when he was here. He couldn't overcome the likes of Mark Malone and Bubby Brister, whereas the Steelers have been able to win pretty consistently with some fairly mediocre qb's with Ben behind center.

3. Jerome Bettis. if Ben, Rod, JB and our #4 Steeler had all played on one team they might have been every bit as great as the 70's Steelers. Bettis from 96-01 was truly a special player.

4. Troy Polamalu .possibly the greatest safety ever. True game changer as we all know

5. Dermontii Dawson. One of the all time greatest centers in the NFL. He could do more things well than even Mike Webster.

6. Hines Ward. Another future HOF'er. Played much better than the numbers indicate.

7. Antonio Brown. With a bullet! Could end up at the top of this list or real close to it with another great season or two. I really wrestled with the thought of putting him higher, because no one in Steelers history has ever strung three great seasons back to back to back quite like AB has done these past 3 years. But at this point I still got to put career value over a 5 year run, even as great as he's been.

8. James Harrison. Too bad Cowher couldn't figure out that Harrison was better than Clark Haggans, because if he had James would have almost certainly strung enough great seasons together to be Canton bound when he retires. At his prime simply legally unblockable by any one player.

9. Alan Faneca. The next Steelers to gain induction to the HOF. Led Bettis to a lot of his yards.

10. Heath Miller. Heeeeeaaaaaath!!!!! The best tight end in Steelers history and one that will never get his just due outside of Pittsburgh. Blocked like an extra tackle, great hands, and always got open when needed most. Funny story. When Heath was drafted a lot of Steeler fans were upset, they saw Heath as the next Mark Bruener. The popular sentiment went, why draft a tight end? We never throw to them anyway!. By the way I was the guy who argued for it being a great pick, most of the fellow posters of that time on that board saw it as a wasted choice! :doh: :lol:

11. Gregg Lloyd. Gregg LLoyd was simply the baddest man in football for about 5 years. A smaller version of James Harrison. Almost equally as destructive! Controlled the edge on the rush as well as anyone ever ( besides Deebo)

12.Aaron Smith. The quintessential 3-4 defensive end! As unselfish as he was talented, which he had to be to excel to the level he did in our defense. He gobbled up 2 blockers most every play freeing up the lb's to come in and clean up afterwards. Even with him taking on multiple blockers was still strong and quick enough to make more than his fair share of plays.

13. James Farrior. In his prime Potsie, not Ray Lewis was the best ILB in football. Sure tackler, sideline to sideline range. Rarely out of place.

14. Kevin Greene. Perhaps he should have been higher? But he only played for the Steelers for 3 seasons and was only great for 2 of them. But oh my! Those two years, 94 and 95 he was truly great!

15. Joey Porter. Great pass rusher. Great play maker. Were it not for the bar being set so high by Harrison and Lloyd would be more appreciated.

16. Levon Kirkland. Were it not for Neil O'Donnell throwing SB XXX away Levon quite likely ends up as the games MVP. He should have been named it anyway. There is precedent for a losing player winning the award (Chuck Howley Cowboys SB V) And Levon played a much better game than named MVP Larry Brown who just happened to be standing in the spot where O'dummy errantly threw a couple passes. Had he had proper coverage... ah forget it! lol Anyway Kirkland had about a 5 year run where he was a damn good ILB

17. Carnell Lake. Lake was a great safety. Maybe the best in the league at one time. But what truly made him a great Steeler was how he went in with no prior experience after Rod Woodson was lost for the season in the opening game of 95 and played cb at an all pro level in helping to get the Steelers to SB XXX.

18. Casey Hampton. Just as Aaron Smith was the ideal DE for a 3-4 defense "Big Snack was the perfect body and player for NT in that defense the way the Steelers played it. Gobbled up blockers and you could just forget about running the ball up the middle against the Steelers when Casey was on his game!

19. Ike Taylor. I wish I could have gone 3 way tie here between Ike, Lawrence Timmons, and Louis Lipps. But in the end I went with Ike because he had more quality seasons than the other two. If Ike only had hands he might have been a borderline HOF'er. He could cover as well as nearly anyone at his best. Routinely limited Chad Johnson as well as other top receivers of the day.

20. Gary Anderson. Yep, that's right I went with a kicker! :doh: But Gary was more than a kicker to this team in his early years, he was the teams best player! He was voted the teams rookie of the year and a couple years later team MVP. Led the AFC in scoring 3 straight seasons. And was clutch in big games as evidenced by his 7-7 fg performance in the 89 playoffs including the game winning 50 yarder in OT in the Astrodome to beat the Oilers.

The thread is yours. Feel free to amend or comment as you see fit.

polamalubeast
03-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Great thread and good list!

The change in your list that I would make is I would put Polamalu at 3 and Bettis at 4 since this is very possible that Polamalu is a first ballot HOF in 2020.

Maybe I would put Harrison 7th and Brown 8th , but Brown will definitely be in my top 4 at the end of his career if he stays with the Steelers.

zulater
03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Great thread and good list!

The change in your list that I would make is I would put Polamalu at 3 and Bettis at 4 since this is very possible that Polamalu is a first ballot HOF in 2020.

Maybe I would put Harrison 7th and Brown 8th , but Brown will definitely be in my top 4 at the end of his career if he stays with the Steelers.

You make a good point on Polamalu. I might edit that to your suggestion later.

Mojouw
03-06-2016, 09:38 PM
I feel like Lipps belongs on the list, but I can't come up with who to bump. I also think a strong case can be made for Darren Perry. I can't make a case for taking anyone out of the 20 to elevate those two.

Good list.

Dwinsgames
03-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Seems like Hartings should be on this list but I will be damned if I can find a spot for him

zulater
03-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Seems like Hartings should be on this list but I will be damned if I can find a spot for him

You know you're right. In the end it came down to him or Gary Anderson. I wrestled with it quite a bit but in the end went the way I did. I may be wrong, but in my mind Gary was a little more influential to his teams than Jeff was to his. But again it was so damn close. I also considered going with a list of 25. Then Lipps, Timmons, and Hartings obviously could be included. But I think what makes something interesting is when you have painful omissions rather than struggling to come up with the final few slots with worthwhile candidates.

tube517
03-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Can't really argue with this list. Every single player deserves to be in the Top 20.

zulater
03-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Toughest omission of them all was Brett Keisel! I so wanted to put The Beard on the list!:beard:

zulater
03-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Here's some more honorable mentions in no particular order.

David Little

Mike Werriweather

Eric Green

Ryan Clark

John Jackson

Jeff Hartings

Antoine Randle El

Plaxico Burress

Joel Steed

Tunch Ilkin

Craig Wolfley

Santonio Holmes

Louis Lipps

Yancy Thigpen

Chad Brown

Jason Gildon

Merrill Hoge

Willie Parker

Kordell Stewart

Neil O'Donnell

Did I forget anyone?

tube517
03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Here's some more honorable mentions in no particular order.

David Little

Mike Werriweather

Eric Green

Ryan Clark

John Jackson

Jeff Hartings

Antoine Randle El

Plaxico Burress

Joel Steed

Tunch Ilkin

Craig Wolfley

Santonio Holmes

Louis Lipps

Yancy Thigpen

Chad Brown

Jason Gildon

Merrill Hoge

Willie Parker

Kordell Stewart

Neil O'Donnell

Did I forget anyone?

Bryan Hinkle

ALLD
03-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Ryan Clark was the hardest hitting defensive back not a LBer.

zulater
03-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Ryan Clark was the hardest hitting defensive back not a LBer.

I don't see where anyone claimed he was? :noidea:

Born2Steel
03-08-2016, 07:02 PM
LOL!!!!

Mojouw
03-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Hardy Nickerson
Carlton Haselrig
Max Starks
Marvel Smith
Brandon Stai
Darren Perry
Barry Foster
Kimo Von Olhofen

zulater
03-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Hardy Nickerson
Carlton Haselrig
Max Starks
Marvel Smith
Brandon Stai
Darren Perry
Barry Foster
Kimo Von Olhofen

Good additions! :applaudit:

Here's another name for honorable mentions. Keith Willis. I forgot, he had some great seasons as a Steeler. As a defensive end he had a 14 and a 12 sack season.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardy Nickerson
Carlton Haselrig
Max Starks
Marvel Smith
Brandon Stai
Darren Perry
Barry Foster
Kimo Von Olhofen

Here's another name for honorable mentions. Keith Willis. I forgot, he had some great seasons as a Steeler. As a defensive end he had a 14 and a 12 sack season.

Mojouw
03-08-2016, 09:27 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Now, you're getting before my memory reaches back to. Good addition though!

teegre
03-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Great thread, Zu (as always)

I'll get back to it, to give it the thought that it deserves.

My quick thought:
Troy Polamalu is #2. I've never seen, nor will I ever again see, another player like him.

fansince'76
03-08-2016, 11:28 PM
I'd like to add Dwayne Woodruff as another honorable mention.

I know technically he was part of one of our championship teams, but he was only a rookie in '79 and didn't crack the starting lineup until '81 or so.

zulater
03-09-2016, 05:42 AM

I know technically he was part of one of our championship teams, but he was only a rookie in '79 and didn't crack the starting lineup until '81 or so.

Fair point. And he was a very good cb. If you take away Woodson you could argue whether he or Ike Taylor are the next best cb in this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair point. And he was a very good cb. If you take away Woodson you could argue whether he or Ike Taylor are the next best cb in this time.