PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the huddle, some Rooneys ready to give up shares in Steelers

stillers4me
02-28-2016, 08:35 AM
The pro football team founded by Art Rooney Sr. 83 years ago and owned primarily by his five sons since his death soon may be down to just one brother in the franchise’s ownership group.

The Steelers are making more ownership changes. John Rooney sold all but about 1 percent of his stake to other partners at the end of 2015, and in 2009 Pat Rooney sold all but 2.5 percent of his ownership stake, which he put in a trust for his children. Brother Tim Rooney sold all of his shares in the franchise’s 2009 restructuring.

Art Rooney Jr., the brother who once headed the Steelers’ scouting department that fed their 1970s Super Bowl dynasty, also may sell most of his stake as other partners in the team exercise their rights to increase their shares as outlined in the 2009 ownership agreement.

That would leave only Dan Rooney, the eldest of the five Rooney brothers who succeeded his father in running the team, as the last of the five brothers still appreciably involved in the ownership of the NFL franchise their father founded in 1933. The McGinley family, which once owned 20 percent, also plans to sell all but a small portion of its stake. ..........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/02/28/Some-Rooneys-ready-to-give-up-shares-in-Steelers/stories/201602280078

fansince'76
02-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Perhaps if the Rooney brothers sold off their racetracks and bought stock in Draft Kings... :coffee:

ALLD
02-28-2016, 09:00 AM
They should go public like the Packers.

salamander
02-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Perhaps if the Rooney brothers sold off their racetracks and bought stock in Draft Kings... :coffee:

Yepp, because we all know horse tracks are totally detrimental to the league. Right, Goodell?

steelreserve
02-28-2016, 01:57 PM
They should go public like the Packers.

This would be a situation where it really, really makes sense to do that, but I'm fairly certain the commissioner and other owners are all on record saying Green Bay is the only place it'll ever be allowed to happen.

After all, your typical NFL owner today (including the Steelers ownership - sorry, the Rooneys are the figurehead and the day-to-day managers, not the majority owners) is either a tycoon or some kind of VC/investment banking mogul, and the major goal of owning a franchise is to get a new stadium built and double the team's resale value. So the idea that a team could "go public" is pretty much the opposite of all that and makes them very nervous about their $XXX,XXX,XXX investment.

zulater
02-28-2016, 09:27 PM

Yeah, it still pisses me off the strong arm tactics employed by Herr Goodell to try to get his cronies the Steelers franchise!:yell:

Devilsdancefloor
02-28-2016, 09:49 PM
Yeah, it still pisses me off the strong arm tactics employed by Herr Goodell to try to get his cronies the Steelers franchise!:yell:

Yeah,me too and i am sure we are not the only 2. i hope it stays in the family

MrPgh
02-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Los Angeles Steelers! Move over Stan Kronke!

fansince'76
02-28-2016, 09:59 PM

What pisses me off more is the fact that two asshats like Kraft and Jones are permitted to invest heavily in gambling operations that DIRECTLY INVOLVE THE LEAGUE THEY OWN TEAMS IN.

Yeah, nothing shady about that.

"Game of skill," my ass. :coffee: