PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Steelers to sign William Gay, 'moving On from Will Allen

hawaiiansteeler
02-27-2016, 07:17 PM
ESPN: Steelers to sign William Gay, 'moving On from Will Allen

by Bryan DeArdo

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/698/335/6_4335698.jpg

With less than two weeks until the start of free agency, the Steelers' offseason game plan is beginning to take shape.

After reporting that the Steelers are likely to pick between free agent linemen Kelvin Beachum and Ramon Foster, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler also said on Friday that the team has already made executive decisions on how it will begin to construct its secondary for the 2016 season.

According to Fowler, the Steelers are likely "moving on" from strong safety Will Allen, but will look to sign William Gay, and could work out a deal with Gay before the March 9 deadline.

The team is likely moving on from safety Will Allen, all but ensuring the team needs a new starting safety in 2016 alongside Mike Mitchell," Fowler said with regard to Allen. "Considering Allen was a utility defensive back for much of his career, he filled the stat sheet as a starter for Pittsburgh -- 80 tackles, four sacks, eight passes defended. But Allen is 33, and this is a chance to upgrade that spot."

In his second stint with the Steelers, Allen enjoyed one of the best seasons of his career in 2015. He started all 13 games he played in, and set career highs in forced fumbles, passes defensed, and sacks. Against the Rams in Week 3, Allen had a key interception late that helped Pittsburgh record its second victory of the season.

But it appears that his age--he'll turn 34 in May--and the Steelers 30th place finish in 2015 overshadowed all the good that Allen did last year, as the Steelers look to strengthen a secondary that was abused on several occasions last season.

With Allen most likely moving on, Pittsburgh has options at free safety. They could let Robert Golden--who played well in relief of Allen this past season--try out for the starting job. Pittsburgh will surely draft a strong safety, with several good ones likely to be available by the time the Steelers make their first pick in the draft.

Then, there's the prospect of singing a free agent to replace Allen. If the Steelers go that route, they'll surely look into singing veteran Eric Weddle, who will most likely be on the open market when free agency season begins on March 9.

Continuity is most likely the main reason why the Steelers want to bring back Gay, who is easily the longest tenured player in Pittsburgh's secondary. With Senquez Golson yet to play a regular season snap, the team wants a veteran presence at cornerback, and Gay, who has played in two Super Bowls for the Steelers, certainly provides that.

It's apparent that the Steelers are putting their money where their mouths are with regard to the secondary. While Allen shouldn't shoulder most of the blame for the team's lackluster statistics against the pass, the Steelers promised changes to a secondary that finished two spots shy of being dead last in pass defense last season.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-Steelers-to-sign-William-Gay-moving-on-from-Will-Allen-43948678

Cyphon25
02-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Good. Give Golden the spot and draft a good safety to slowly work in.

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2016, 08:36 PM
sounds good to me

steelreserve
02-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Golden played better than Allen when he was in, IMO. No worries about giving him a shot.

Now on to the real make-or-break decision: Whether we "move on" from Antwon Blake.

lipps83
02-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Now on to the real make-or-break decision: Whether we "move on" from Antwon Blake.

I am pretty sure the entire Steelers Nation is collectively crossing their fingers that the team will decide to 'move on' from Blake.

Cyphon25
02-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Blake isn't going anywhere. He will open the season as a starter.

Even after how bad he was they played him a lot vs the Broncos. Tomlin seems to really like him so you can bet he will be around for awhile and probably get a new contract to boot.

salamander
02-28-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm cool with that decision.

86WARD
02-28-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm good with that...although I didn't hate Allen. May be a good sign as to what they may do in free agency?

Count Steeler
02-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Allen is getting at that iffy age. Good sign that the Steelers are willing to go younger and maybe they have a signing or two up their sleeves. I can only hope.

I'm also resigned to the fact, barring some big developments in the draft or FA, that Blake will be starting on this defense.

86WARD
02-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Blake starting on this defense would be a huge mistake based on last years performance.

Count Steeler
02-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Blake starting on this defense would be a huge mistake based on last years performance.

Until this coaching staff demonstrates that they have pulled their collective heads out of their collective asses, Blake is the starter. There was enough play put on tape to showcase his lack of abilities to play CB in the NFL. Why oh why did he remain the starter? A well placed pylon would have caused more grief on opposing offenses than Blake did.

Yeah, I know 2 or 3 interceptions, and I believe 1 returned for a TD. Woo-hoo. Splash or crash. Give me steady and sure, any day of the week.

teegre
02-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Re-sign Gay.
Sign Weddle.
Insert Golson.
Solidify the front-7 with the first two picks.
Upgrade the CB depth with a R3 pick.

Boom!!!... the defense is better (and good enough to win a championship).

Mojouw
03-01-2016, 01:58 PM
What about Gipson(sp?) out of Cleveland rather than Weddle? Cheaper, since he put one good year of tape down (2014) and one bad year of tape (2015)? Then spend the saved cap dollars on some magical other FA that is going to fix the pass rush....

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2016, 03:19 PM
What about Gipson(sp?) out of Cleveland rather than Weddle? Cheaper, since he put one good year of tape down (2014) and one bad year of tape (2015)? Then spend the saved cap dollars on some magical other FA that is going to fix the pass rush....

Excerpt from PFF:

"[2015] was his worst coverage grade in a single season since entering the league, but when you look back at 2014, you see why the Browns should want to bring him back. He had our sixth-highest coverage grade that year, coming away with six interceptions and a pass breakup. Like Schwartz, he too has age on his side, and will be 26 when the season begins."

And let's not forget he was 2nd in the league in interceptions in 2014 even though he missed 5 games. Ive read many articles that noted he was showing a lot of potential in years prior to his pro bowl season as well.

im honestly on board for Gipson if we so choose to as long as we dont go much higher than mike mitchell's deal

Mojouw
03-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Excerpt from PFF:

"[2015] was his worst coverage grade in a single season since entering the league, but when you look back at 2014, you see why the Browns should want to bring him back. He had our sixth-highest coverage grade that year, coming away with six interceptions and a pass breakup. Like Schwartz, he too has age on his side, and will be 26 when the season begins."

And let's not forget he was 2nd in the league in interceptions in 2014 even though he missed 5 games. Ive read many articles that noted he was showing a lot of potential in years prior to his pro bowl season as well.

im honestly on board for Gipson if we so choose to as long as we dont go much higher than mike mitchell's deal

That's what I was thinking. A step down from Weddle's $#, but a step up from random dart throw. Interestingly enough, Gipson may flourish in Pittsburgh system. His best years for the Browns where under Ray Horton, who runs a system similar to the Steelers. Although, Horton is back in Cleveland, so they may retain him...

Bluecoat96
03-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Breaking News-

Steelers to franchise Antwon Blake.

Bluecoat96
03-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Just kidding. [emoji6]

hawaiiansteeler
03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
in order of which safety I most want to sign in free agency:

1) Eric Weddle
2) George Iloka
3) Walter Thurmond
4) Tashaun Gipson
5) Robert Golden

SteelerFanInStl
03-01-2016, 04:48 PM
in order of which safety I most want to sign in free agency:

1) Eric Weddle
2) George Iloka
3) Walter Thurmond
4) Tashaun Gipson
5) Robert Golden

Iloka is the guy that I like out of those. He's definitely a rising player and you just can't beat that size.

I like Weddle but it really depends on what he's asking for. I don't want to pay a bunch of money for a 30 year old player. I'd rather have a younger, cheaper guy.

hawaiiansteeler
03-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Iloka is the guy that I like out of those. He's definitely a rising player and you just can't beat that size.

I like Weddle but it really depends on what he's asking for. I don't want to pay a bunch of money for a 30 year old player. I'd rather have a younger, cheaper guy.

George Iloka

STRONG SAFETY

Exp: 4 Years
Drafted: Round 5 (#167 overall), 2012
College: Boise State
Agent(s): BTI Sports Advisors

CALCULATED MARKET VALUE:

$5.6M
AVG. ANNUAL SALARY

Market Value
4 yrs, $22,593,361
Avg. Salary: $5,648,340

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/george-iloka/market-value/

teegre
03-01-2016, 06:03 PM
The Lions want Iloka, and the have the cap space to OVERpay for him.

Gipson had one good year. Weddle has had ten good years. If we're going to risk it, might as well go for the has-been instead of the never-was.

steelreserve
03-02-2016, 10:36 AM
The Lions want Iloka, and the have the cap space to OVERpay for him.

Gipson had one good year. Weddle has had ten good years. If we're going to risk it, might as well go for the has-been instead of the never-was.

... and, seeing as how this thread is about the fact that we're letting go of a safety (leaving us with exactly one effective player unless Golden is retained) and re-signing probably our best CB, you would think the safety would be the choice that makes more sense to go out and get on the market.

Speaking of which, if the Steelers are saying they want to re-sign Gay, when the hell are they actually going to do it? Free agency is like a week away.

fansince'76
03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Breaking News-

Steelers to franchise Antwon Blake.

Just kidding. [emoji6]

:asskick:

:chuckle:

Mojouw
03-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Is this the same Iloka that the Steelers beat like a drum a few times recently? Or did I just imagine that?

Psycho Ward 86
03-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Is this the same Iloka that the Steelers beat like a drum a few times recently? Or did I just imagine that?

i mean, give our boys some credit for things like that happening. TJ Ward got beat like a drum perenially but he was and still is a pro bowl safety

Born2Steel
03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
The front office says the focus will be the secondary this offseason. Maybe it won't be just smoke this time. We needed Gay back. Allen is an age/salary liability at this point. My hope, and from things I have read, we will make a FA move to bring in a veteran CB. The draft will likely get us another CB, as well as a safety. A safety FA also would be a great move. Mitchell, Golden, Thomas, and rookie, will not cut it, IMO. Not for what we are set up to accomplish this season. The FA idea just makes sense. Drafting Dline, OLB(again), and rookie CB, and FS. This would allow for a double dip in the front 7 and maybe even another stud offensive skill player.