PDA

View Full Version : Could 2003 be repeated for Steelers?

polamalubeast
02-27-2016, 01:24 PM
The more I get into the 2016 draft, the more I start to think it will be more like the 2003 draft for the Steelers.

The Steelers went into that draft needing help at both safety and cornerback, with free safety Brent Alexander and corner Dewayne Washington both on the wrong side of 30.

Of course, as is usually the case, cornerback was considered the priority. It often is, since it’s the more flashy position.

But instead of settling for the third-best cornerback - Terence Newman and Marcus Trufant were both selected ahead of the Steelers - they were pro-active, trading up to get the top safety in the draft, Troy Polamalu.

Interestingly enough, right after the Chiefs took Larry Johnson with the pick they received from the Steelers in the first round, Tennessee took corner Andre Woolfork, Two picks later, San Diego selected Sammy Davis, a corner many thought the Steelers would pick. Oakland grabbed Nnamdi Asomugha one pick later and Charles Tillman went to the Bears at the top of the first round.

In fact, there were a lot of good corners available in that draft, many of which were taken in the second round or later - Rashean Mathis, Terrence McGee, Ike Taylor, Asante Samuel and several others who played for extended periods in the league.

But there weren’t too many star safeties.

That’s what leads me to believe that, owning the 25th pick this year, the Steelers could take a similar approach and go safety-corner in this draft.

First, because the defensive line talent in this draft is so deep, there will be a number of those taken ahead of the Steelers. But the corners expected to be taken ahead of their pick - Jalen Ramsey, Mackensie Alexander and Vernon Hargreaves - will leave the Steelers with the choice of taking the fourth-rated corner or perhaps their No. 1-rated safety.

And the difference, to me, between the fourth-rated corner and whoever they have rated 10th at cornerback won’t be as steep as the difference between their top-rated safety and the fifth-rated safety.

And that will be the difference between their first two picks.

read more

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20160227%2FBLOGS08%2F160229600#.VtH o4gi9OBg.twitter

steelreserve
02-27-2016, 01:46 PM
They need defensive line and there are a lot of good players at defensive line. STICK TO THE PLAN.

I agree that our odds of finding a star CB in the draft this year are shitty; after the handful of guys that will go in the top 15 or 20, the talent level goes off a cliff. So barring the unexpected, might as well wait until about the third round for that, since using a higher pick on a player that will be there anyway doesn't make him any more talented.

st33lersguy
02-27-2016, 05:07 PM
CB is the biggest need, weakest position, and should be a top priority, but if the Steelers will come away with a dominant safety or dominant D-lineman, it will be a step towards building the caliber defense needed to win a championship.

Shoes
02-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Would you give up our R1 for 2017 & 2018 for the Browns, Chargers or Cowboys R1 this year and pick up Ramsey? That would give us two R1 picks this year.

GBMelBlount
02-27-2016, 07:31 PM
They need defensive line and there are a lot of good players at defensive line. STICK TO THE PLAN.

I agree that our odds of finding a star CB in the draft this year are shitty; after the handful of guys that will go in the top 15 or 20, the talent level goes off a cliff. So barring the unexpected, might as well wait until about the third round for that, since using a higher pick on a player that will be there anyway doesn't make him any more talented.

Let's grab Weddle, two linemen in the first 2 rounds and then pick up two more for the secondary somewhere.

Mel Kiper:

"Defensive line is the best it's been since probably in my history of doing this, in terms of depth. I don't remember ...

I've been doing it since the '78 college football season, and I don't remember as many outstanding defensive ends, defensive tackles, combo guys, as there are this year.

It's loaded with elite guys in the first and second round. So if you need a defensive lineman -- end or tackle -- this is the year to get one."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/22/11093976/mel-kiper-loves-defensive-line-depth-in-2016-nfl-draft