PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft: Mock draft/Trade down

LLT
02-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Steelers Draft: Mock draft/Trade down
by Perry Biggerstaff
www.stillcurtain.com
02/26/16

In a previous article I went over the logic and possibility of the Pittsburgh Steelers trading down in the 2016 draft. Knowing that there are some of you out there who will feel the need to work out the mathematical probability of such a trade and being fully aware that others will jump in with some long and painful discourse on the Steelers history in regards to trades…I still thought it would be worth the time to look at what such a trade could look like and the benefits it would produce.

I fully expect the Steelers will pick up a free agent defensive back, so let’s use cornerback Patrick Robinson as the example in this scenario. Robinson was a first round draft choice in 2010. He is 5’11” 192 pounds and runs the forty in the 4.4 range. Though he struggled in New Orleans due to injuries and changing scheme, he was more than solid in San Diego. He is not a big name acquisition like Josh Norman or Janoris Jenkins, but his under the radar play for the Chargers would work to the Steelers advantage.

Signing such a free agent would change our immediate draft needs. By trading down and out of the first round, Pittsburgh could not only shore up their roster with immediate talent but could also add much needed depth at key positions.

Let’s once again think about the Los Angeles Rams as a potential trading partner. They own two 2nd round picks and have the means and desire to trade up. Allowing them to trade back into the first round should garner us a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round pick, according to the widely accepted draft value chart. I would also add the anticipated 7th round compensatory pick for the loss of Brice McCain. This would give us a draft that would look like this:

2nd: #45 overall
2nd: #58 overall
3rd: #76 overall
3rd: #89 overall
4th: #120 overall (pending compensatory picks)
6th: #181 overall (pending compensatory picks)
7th: #206 overall (pending compensatory picks)
7th: #223 overall (pending compensatory picks)
7th: #231 overall (pending compensatory picks)

Based on team needs and the scenario of picking up a cornerback free agent into consideration, here is a mock draft with these picks in mind.

2016 Mock Draft/With trades

2nd: SS Vonn Bell of Ohio State. 6’1 212 pounds.
If the Steelers pick up a FA cornerback, Bell makes sense at this pick. Tough and savvy player with 22 passes defended and 9 interception over 28 games. Plays man and zone equally well.

2nd: CB Kendall Fuller of Virginia Tech. 6’0 197 pounds.
Underrated prospect due to knee injury. Can stop and change directions on a dime. Reads receivers well and diagnoses quickly. 35 passes defended with 8 interceptions over 28 games

3rd: TE Nick Vannett of Ohio State. 6’6 256 pounds. One of the better run blocking tight ends that I have seen over the last couple of years. Underutilized at Ohio State. I will be very interested to see how he runs at the combine, but regardless, seems to be able to run crisp routes and get separation from defenders.

Read more at: http://stillcurtain.com/2016/02/26/steelers-draft-mock-drafttrade-down/

Shoes
02-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Steelers Draft: Mock draft/Trade down
by Perry Biggerstaff
www.stillcurtain.com (http://www.stillcurtain.com)
02/26/16

In a previous article I went over the logic and possibility of the Pittsburgh Steelers trading down in the 2016 draft. Knowing that there are some of you out there who will feel the need to work out the mathematical probability of such a trade and being fully aware that others will jump in with some long and painful discourse on the Steelers history in regards to trades…I still thought it would be worth the time to look at what such a trade could look like and the benefits it would produce.

I fully expect the Steelers will pick up a free agent defensive back, so let’s use cornerback Patrick Robinson as the example in this scenario. Robinson was a first round draft choice in 2010. He is 5’11” 192 pounds and runs the forty in the 4.4 range. Though he struggled in New Orleans due to injuries and changing scheme, he was more than solid in San Diego. He is not a big name acquisition like Josh Norman or Janoris Jenkins, but his under the radar play for the Chargers would work to the Steelers advantage.

Signing such a free agent would change our immediate draft needs. By trading down and out of the first round, Pittsburgh could not only shore up their roster with immediate talent but could also add much needed depth at key positions.

Let’s once again think about the Los Angeles Rams as a potential trading partner. They own two 2nd round picks and have the means and desire to trade up. Allowing them to trade back into the first round should garner us a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round pick, according to the widely accepted draft value chart. I would also add the anticipated 7th round compensatory pick for the loss of Brice McCain. This would give us a draft that would look like this:

Based on team needs and the scenario of picking up a cornerback free agent into consideration, here is a mock draft with these picks in mind.

2016 Mock Draft/With trades

2nd: SS Vonn Bell of Ohio State. 6’1 212 pounds.
If the Steelers pick up a FA cornerback, Bell makes sense at this pick. Tough and savvy player with 22 passes defended and 9 interception over 28 games. Plays man and zone equally well.

2nd: CB Kendall Fuller of Virginia Tech. 6’0 197 pounds.
Underrated prospect due to knee injury. Can stop and change directions on a dime. Reads receivers well and diagnoses quickly. 35 passes defended with 8 interceptions over 28 games

3rd: TE Nick Vannett of Ohio State. 6’6 256 pounds. One of the better run blocking tight ends that I have seen over the last couple of years. Underutilized at Ohio State. I will be very interested to see how he runs at the combine, but regardless, seems to be able to run crisp routes and get separation from defenders.

Read more at: http://stillcurtain.com/2016/02/26/steelers-draft-mock-drafttrade-down/

I think it would be great to trade down, that would be my hope, getting an extra R2 & R3 would be fantastic. I can also see them trading up as they tried last year.

Dwinsgames
02-26-2016, 03:47 PM
looks very similar to what I posted in the other thread a couple days ago .

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 12 (L.A.): Vonn Bell (http://www.google.com/search?q=Vonn+Bell+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), SS/FS, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 14 (L.A.): Kendall Fuller (http://www.google.com/search?q=Kendall+Fuller+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), CB, Virginia Tech (A-)
Round 3 Pick 13 (L.A.): Chris Jones (http://www.google.com/search?q=Chris+Jones+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), DT/DE, Mississippi State (A)
Round 3 Pick 25: Harlan Miller (http://www.google.com/search?q=Harlan+Miller+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), CB, Southeastern Louisiana (B+)
Round 4 Pick 12 (L.A.): Tyler Higbee (http://www.google.com/search?q=Tyler+Higbee+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), TE, Western Kentucky (A-)
Round 4 Pick 25: Kamalei Correa (http://www.google.com/search?q=Kamalei+Correa+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), OLB, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 8: Demarcus Robinson (http://www.google.com/search?q=Demarcus+Robinson+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), WR, Florida (A)
Round 7 Pick 25: Tre Madden (http://www.google.com/search?q=Tre+Madden+Draft+Profile&btnI&as_sitesearch=nfl.com), RB, Southern California (A)

shipped to LA our first and second round picks for a pair of 2nds 3rd and 4th

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2016, 03:55 PM
the Steelers would be getting dramatically short-changed points wise in this trade with the Rams.

our 1(25) selection is worth 720 points according to the NFL Draft Value Chart.

their 2(45), 3(76) and 6(181) picks are only worth 450 + 210 +19 = 679 points

the Rams would need to throw in their 4(107) pick instead of their 6(181) selection to make it fairer to the Steelers.

polamalubeast
02-26-2016, 04:01 PM
The last time the Steelers made a trade up / down with their first round pick was in 2006, the last year of Bill Cowher.

I do not remember to see the steelers make a trade down with their first round pick, so I would be very surprised to see the Steelers make a trade up or down with their first round pick.

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2016, 04:06 PM
The last time the Steelers made a trade up / down with their first round pick was in 2006, the last year of Bill Cowher.

I do not remember to see the steelers make a trade down with their first round pick, so I would be very surprised to see the Steelers make a trade up or down with their first round pick.

the first round ones that I can remember off the top of my head are we traded up for Troy Polamalu and Sanstonio Holmes and down a few spots for Casey Hampton.

steelreserve
02-26-2016, 04:26 PM
I think there will be several guys who could be a real impact player at #25, better than you usually get at #25 for the positions we need, so we'd be wise to stay where we are. Moving up would cost too much. Addressing DB in free agency is the key to the whole thing.

Dwinsgames
02-26-2016, 05:37 PM
the Steelers would be getting dramatically short-changed points wise in this trade with the Rams.

the Rams would need to throw in their 4(107) pick instead of their 6(181) selection to make it fairer to the Steelers.

the rams own 2 -2nd round picks

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2016, 06:10 PM
the rams own 2 -2nd round picks

in the trade down scenario proposed by the OP, the Rams gave us 2(45), 3(76), and 6(181) = 450 + 210 +19 = 679 points in return for our 1(25) = 720 points

steelreserve
02-26-2016, 06:50 PM

Yeah, basically we'd be trading down 20 spots from R1 in order to get an extra third-round pick. I don't like that idea at all. The sixth-rounder can basically be ignored; those are throwaway picks.

If we were going to trade out of the first round, I'd only want to do it for one of the top five or so picks of round 2, and even then we'd better also get their third-rounder, which would be almost as good as a late second-rounder. Otherwise, fuck that shit.

ALLD
02-27-2016, 06:30 AM
A trade down would make sense as part of a player deal that fills in a hole. Trade our 1st for their second and a CB or TE unless we can pick up both in FA.