PDA

View Full Version : Senquez Golson just might be the answer at CB

hawaiiansteeler
02-24-2016, 06:24 PM
2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie Review: Senquez Golson just might be the answer at CB

By Jeff.Hartman on Feb 24, 2016

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MwmszDpmPul-dQYxEi-rkf_7kFU=/0x39:2079x1425/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48921843/usa-today-8582226.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers got nothing -- literally -- from their second round draft pick, but that doesn't mean his future is now diminished.

When sitting down to write an article here at BTSC headquarters, there is a search engine with photos to use for the article. You know, those wonderful images which adorn each and every article on the site? Yeah, those. Well, type in 'Pittsburgh Steelers Senquez Golson', and you get two images. That's right...two stinking images.

I guess it is fitting considering the rookie from Ole Miss didn't play even a preseason snap for the black and gold in his rookie year. What are photographers supposed to do? Snap photos of him going through the rehab process on his torn labrum? Hardly the photo opportunity, if you ask me.

Nonetheless, the small, but big, cornerback has yet to show what he is capable of on the field, but will have the opportunity in 2016 when he will hopefully leave his mark on the team's secondary. Before the 2015 season, Golson was supposed to be the team's slot cornerback, and possibly shift to the outside depending on the play of fellow defensive backs. Clearly, that never happened, but it very well should in 2016.

For as much garbage which was spewed all over social media about Golson's size (5-foot 9-inches tall) after being drafted, those people must not have watched him play in the SEC and not just hold his own, but tally 10 interceptions his Senior season. Golson is a big-time player with tremendous ball skills and the versatility to play both the inside and outside cornerback positions.

With the Steelers facing the likes of William Gay, Antwon Blake and Brandon Boykin all potentially leaving via free agency, there should be comfort knowing Golson will be back and healthy in 2016. Yes, I realize he hasn't stepped foot in a NFL stadium, or played a meaningful down in the NFL before, but Golson is certainly going to improve a sagging secondary which ranked 30th in the NFL in 2015.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said they are viewing Golson as another second round pick in 2016...

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/2/24/11044688/2015-pittsburgh-steelers-rookie-review-senquez-golson-just-might-be

zulater
02-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Mel Kiper was very high on this pick when it was made. He reportedly has great ball skills. I think he potentially brings more value than even a first round pick. He's already signed so he'll be a full participant in OTA's. He's also been exposed to NFL life, the film study, the preparation that goes into an NFL game etc... Obviously this isn't the same as NFL game action and obviously there could be some rust with not playing last year. But all in all I think Golson will step right in and be a big part of a resurgent secondary.

Cyphon25
02-24-2016, 07:02 PM
People shouldn't have too much hope in Golson. From everything I read he is going to be a slot corner and that is where our 2 best corners already play. We need guys who can play on the outside. If Golson can play on the outside than I agree, we should definitely have high hopes for him.

Dwinsgames
02-24-2016, 07:07 PM
People shouldn't have too much hope in Golson. From everything I read he is going to be a slot corner and that is where our 2 best corners already play. We need guys who can play on the outside. If Golson can play on the outside than I agree, we should definitely have high hopes for him.

5'9" -175 ... a matchup on the outside most receivers dream about

zulater
02-24-2016, 07:14 PM

If you can play you can play. Darrell Green parlayed his 5'9" height into a Hall of Fame career. He never had trouble covering the taller receivers in college and he faced off against multiple future pro's.

steelreserve
02-24-2016, 07:15 PM
He appears to be a slot corner based solely on his height.

Then you realize Antwon Blake is exactly the same height and played outside all year, and you realize the DB height issue has been overthought to death.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2016, 07:17 PM

While this is true for the most part, just look at what Tyrann Mathieu has been doing for the Cards. He's 5' 9" 186 lbs and was an exceptional player until he got hurt this year. I'm not saying that Golson can be the same type of player but at least there's hope.

teegre
02-24-2016, 07:25 PM
the DB height issue has been overthought to death.

O.J. Howard agrees with this post.

Born2Steel
02-24-2016, 07:31 PM

His ball skills are off the charts and he's a very good tackler. I do get to watch a lot of Ole Miss and he was a star. He's a slot corner upgrade, IMO. We still need at least 1 CB that can stick to taller, faster receivers. But the point of the article, I believe, is that those other 2 guys you referred to may be gone this offseason anyway. I do have high hopes for Golson. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Cyphon25
02-24-2016, 07:32 PM

Then you realize Antwon Blake is exactly the same height and played outside all year, and you realize the DB height issue has been overthought to death.

If that is true I am relieved. From what I heard/read I got the impression that was what he was drafted for and his injury is why they traded for Boykin.

Although I will say this, using Blake as an example for why height shouldn't matter may not be the best move lol.

His ball skills are off the charts and he's a very good tackler. I do get to watch a lot of Ole Miss and he was a star. He's a slot corner upgrade, IMO. We still need at least 1 CB that can stick to taller, faster receivers. But the point of the article, I believe, is that those other 2 guys you referred to may be gone this offseason anyway. I do have high hopes for Golson. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Fair points and it isn't like I am writing him off. I just think even if he is a shutdown slot guy we are still in the same exact position as last year.

So I guess the more appropriate wording for my stance would be that I have hopes in Golson but I don't have hopes that he actually changes the overall defense. The outside is where we got torched. For most of the season Gay was a shutdown corner in the slot so I am not sure how you improve much on that. Golson can be amazing and they will still just attack Blake or Allen or Cockrell lol.

zulater
02-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Didn't Golson have a pretty good vertical jump at the combine? A good athlete with good body control who can jump can probably make up some for his lack of height, no? Lynn Swann wasn't that tall a guy but I'm not sure how many receivers elevated above coverage to make more catches than he did?

hawaiiansteeler
02-24-2016, 07:51 PM
O.J. Howard agrees with this post.

it's hard to tell who the taller player here is, Golson or O.J. Howard?

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/05/02/ca0,260,1927,2187/SenquezGolson6-4.jpg

Dwinsgames
02-24-2016, 08:00 PM

same height but Blake is 20 pounds heavier , not as easy to push around

zulater
02-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Ask yourself this. Through the years we've had several tall receivers. Plaxico Burress, and Martavis Bryant come to mind as prime examples of tall Steeler wr's. Before them we had Weegie Thompson. :pointlaugh: Sorry. But from the offensive perspective, through the years, how many receptions have you attributed to Steeler receivers due primarily to their height? Most of my memories of Bryant's big plays came about due to his blazing speed. I'm having trouble recalling so much as one reception on his part where afterwards I'm saying to myself "no way is he making that catch if he's 6'. He really used that height advantage to his benefit there."I'm not saying it never happens. I'm just saying it's not common place throughout the league.

Psycho Ward 86
02-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Didn't Golson have a pretty good vertical jump at the combine? A good athlete with good body control who can jump can probably make up some for his lack of height, no? Lynn Swann wasn't that tall a guy but I'm not sure how many receivers elevated above coverage to make more catches than he did?

He had an awful vertical actually (33.5in). but like you im not all that worried because of his pedigree

also folks, if you want more modern examples of tiny CB's that are really good, Jason Verett and Antoine Winfield come to mind. Both of those guys are COMPLETE corners too. EDIT: I forgot to mention Brent Grimes and Brandon Flowers too

im not going to lie though, this rhetoric being passed off by Colbert and everybody that they're basically going to make Golson a slot guy is pissing me off. You dont draft guys this early to be a pure inside guy. for god sake, get us some boundary corners

MrPgh
02-24-2016, 09:14 PM
At first I thought this thread title said "Selena Gomez just might be the answer at CB".......

She'd probably be better at it than Blake.

teegre
02-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Let's assume that Golson is solely a slot CB.

Let's also assume that Golson is an upgrade over Gay.

Then, Gay moves to the outside (where he's not as good, but where he's an upgrade over Blake).

2015:
Cockrell 7/10
Blake 4/10
Gay: 8/10

2016:
Cockrell 7/10 ( even )
Gay: 7/10 ( +3 )
Golson: 9/10 ( +1 )

Psycho Ward 86
02-24-2016, 10:16 PM

Then, Gay moves to the outside (where he's not as good, but where he's an upgrade over Blake).

2015:
Cockrell 7/10
Blake 4/10

2016:
Cockrell 7/10 ( even )

then he's a bust. Not a BUST bust, but like a AJ Hawk type of bust....contributing heavily, just not nearly up to draft pedigree

teegre
02-24-2016, 10:23 PM
then he's a bust. Not a BUST bust, but like a AJ Hawk type of bust....contributing heavily, just not nearly up to draft pedigree

I'd actually take that.

(That's how bad the secondary has been.)

Psycho Ward 86
02-24-2016, 10:28 PM
I'd actually take that.

(That's how bad the secondary has been.)

ill take it too, assuming we get an instantly strong contributor in FA or the draft. This 2ndary could go from horrible to loaded with just a couple of the right moves. i hope we dont get cute and fuck that opportunity up

teegre
02-24-2016, 10:32 PM
This 2ndary could go from horrible to loaded with just a couple of the right moves.

Yep.

Insert Golson.
Add a safety (via free agency and/or the draft).
Add one more CB (an upgrade over Blake).

Voila!!! ...a respectable (if not "good") secondary.

Cyphon25
02-24-2016, 10:49 PM
It is a big leap of faith to assume Golson would be an upgrade over Gay this season. Gay has been extremely solid.

86WARD
02-25-2016, 05:17 AM
Here we go again...

Golson could also be the answer if we are looking to find Cortez Allen v2.0...too many "ifs" in the secondary will get you in trouble...see 2014/2015 Pittsburgh Steelers secondaries for examples.

fansince'76
02-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Wow...Darrell Green and Cortez Allen, LOL. I think I'll reserve judgment either way until I actually see Golson play.

And yeah, I don't think a guy necessarily has to be a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar knockoff to be an effective outside corner.

Rotorhead
02-25-2016, 10:08 AM
They do have a good point in the article though, we can treat him like another 2nd round pick, or possibly like another first round pick due to the fact he knows our system now and there won't be that learning curve. I hope we resign Gay to man the outside, but if not I think we need to sign a FA CB to play opposite Cockrell. If we do that, we can bring back W Allen for one more year to back up Golden and Mitchell and draft another safety for the future.

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Between Gay and Boykin, who would you guys want to keep if you could?

And if you pick Boykin, how much more are you willing to pay?

I want Boykin, but im not sure how much more i would be willing to pay. Option B for me would be re-sign Gay and pick up a starter in FA, like Casey Heyward

Cyphon25
02-25-2016, 10:38 AM

I want Boykin, but im not sure how much more i would be willing to pay. Option B for me would be re-sign Gay and pick up a starter in FA, like Casey Heyward

I'd take Boykin over Gay. In my opinion he played just as well while still learning and getting comfortable with the team and has an obvious age advantage. As far as the pay goes I never really get into that stuff but I would say Boykin is worth a million more a year or so.

I would love an option where they brought in a proven outside guy. That is where we need the help. Gay, Boykin and Golson (as far as we know) are all slot guys.

ALLD
02-25-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't see Golson bringing down Gronk without getting injured. Hopefully he works out better than Archer.

Kent
02-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Golson is the reason I feel like we don't need to reach on a CB in the first round if one of the top guys aren't available. I look at it like we're getting an extra rookie coming in. Some additions to the secondary need to be added though, hopefully a 2nd or 3rd round corner or an above average free agent pickup.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2016, 02:56 PM

2015:
Cockrell 7/10
Blake 4/10

2016:
Cockrell 7/10 ( even )

Honestly a slot corner in today's NFL is a starter in effect , as much as say a rotational DE that we hope for to spell both Tuitte and Heyward ... so if Golson is only ever a very good slot corner I can't call him a bust or even hint of it ..

he just has to live up to his billing , a solid cover guy who has very good ball skills .

- - - Updated - - -

Ask yourself this. Through the years we've had several tall receivers. Plaxico Burress, and Martavis Bryant come to mind as prime examples of tall Steeler wr's. Before them we had Weegie Thompson. :pointlaugh: Sorry. But from the offensive perspective, through the years, how many receptions have you attributed to Steeler receivers due primarily to their height? Most of my memories of Bryant's big plays came about due to his blazing speed. I'm having trouble recalling so much as one reception on his part where afterwards I'm saying to myself "no way is he making that catch if he's 6'. He really used that height advantage to his benefit there."I'm not saying it never happens. I'm just saying it's not common place throughout the league.

I can remember a plethora of times Deshae Townsend had perfect coverage on his man and the completion was made anyways because it doesn't matter how well you blanket your man if you physically outmatched for the ball in the air ... for the record I thought Townsend was an above average player who left it all on the field , but sometimes that is just not enough

ALLD
02-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Townsend also rushed the passer. Golson is a second round slot CB who has yet to prove himself in the NFL. Grant is out there too and who knows if he sticks or can handle S rotation.

Steelers should stick to picking WRs and subcontract out our secondary picks.

SteelerFanInStl
02-25-2016, 05:38 PM
No matter what, we still need a CB who's capable of being the #1 guy. We don't have anyone on the roster currently who should be a #1. I'd prefer to sign one in FA since he should be able to step in immediately.

Our window to win the Super Bowl is now so we need players that will help us now.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2016, 07:21 PM
No matter what, we still need a CB who's capable of being the #1 guy. We don't have anyone on the roster currently who should be a #1. I'd prefer to sign one in FA since he should be able to step in immediately.

Our window to win the Super Bowl is now so we need players that will help us now.

while I agree with the premise that we lack a guy on the roster now to be that #1 , I am skeptical of them spending what is necessary to secure that sort of player in FA ... high quality corners are not cheap in FA and with the big cap increase I am guessing they will be even more expensive than in past years ... those above average guys will be getting very big paychecks ..

that being said perhaps that DE we all want to spell our guys may be what we nab in the FA period and draft the corner ... then again we do not spend first round picks in the secondary is what many will come back with and while I agree ( none since Troy 2003 ) and no corners in round 1 since Chad Scott in 97 ....

HOWEVER....

in 2007 we took Timmons in the 1st round and that was the first time we used a 1st round pick on a LB since Robin Cole in 1977 a span of 30 years !!

but since the Timmons pick we have spent plenty on Linebackers so perhaps the secondary is going to see a bunch of picks in the coming years

GBMelBlount
02-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Golson is the reason I feel like we don't need to reach on a CB in the first round if one of the top guys aren't available. I look at it like we're getting an extra rookie coming in. Some additions to the secondary need to be added though, hopefully a 2nd or 3rd round corner or an above average free agent pickup.

Agreed.

In fact our best move defensively might be to pick up weddle and two strong DL's in the first two rounds which will instantly improve our secondary (which should be improved personnel-wise already).

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2016, 07:42 PM
[/B]in 2007 we took Timmons in the 1st round and that was the first time we used a 1st round pick on a LB since Robin Cole in 1977 a span of 30 years !!

but since the Timmons pick we have spent plenty on Linebackers so perhaps the secondary is going to see a bunch of picks in the coming years

similiar stuff happened with our O-line drafting and that turned out well

fansince'76
02-25-2016, 07:53 PM
similiar stuff happened with our O-line drafting and that turned out well

We seriously upgraded our OL coach too and only then did things really start to come together. As such, I think it's probably time for Lake to go.

ALLD
02-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Lake and the STs coach need to go somewhere else.

Steel Peon
02-26-2016, 02:27 AM
(Any given draftee) just might be the answer (at any given position), or they could be Cortez Allen or Shmarko Thomas, etc. as well.

Born2Steel
02-26-2016, 09:52 AM
By all indications, his entire college career, and the fact that he was deemed worthy of a 2nd round pick, Golson will be an improvement to THIS secondary. What remains to be seen is if he can become more than what's expected. He can be slot or outside, but it depends on the receivers also as to how effectively. Not every good CB can cover AB. Doesn't mean they aren't good cover corners. He will have lots of victories and lots of losses. Is he THE answer? He's AN answer.

katmandu
02-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Then you realize Antwon Blake is exactly the same height and played outside all year, and you realize the DB height issue has been overthought to death.We need DBs that are not mere ankle-bitters on Gronkowski !

katmandu
02-27-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm saying to myself "no way is he making that catch if he's 6'. He really used that height advantage to his benefit there."I'm not saying it never happens. I'm just saying it's not common place throughout the league.Tall receivers eat short DBs for lunch in the Red Zone.

There's no getting around that.

- - - Updated - - -

Lake and the STs coach need to go somewhere else.Very disappointing indeed.

86WARD
03-04-2016, 04:43 PM

How often do rookie CBs Come into the NFL and start and are effective covering the number one receivers on other teams?

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 04:57 PM

Alex Kozora Retweeted
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin

I'm told CB Casey Heyward has agreed to terms with the #Chargers.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Alex Kozora Retweeted
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin

I'm told CB Casey Heyward has agreed to terms with the #Chargers.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

yeah we really missed out, although if theres a position where we would still be fine by adressing it in the draft, CB is one of them.

Heyward went to the chargers for 3 years on $15 million. he would be well worth that playing on the outside for us. Dont let us down Senquez

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 09:13 AM
I still love the idea of using 2 of our first 4 picks on DBs. I have no reason to believe Golson will not be a great player for us. Get richer, I say.