PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft History: Mike Adams is the biggest bust of the last 10 years

polamalubeast
02-16-2016, 01:27 PM
If you look back over the past decade, the Pittsburgh Steelers have acquitted themselves quite well in the early rounds of the NFL Draft. General Manager Kevin Colbert and his staff might have their shortcomings when it comes to drafting mid to late-round defensive backs, but for the most part, their skill for scouting the rest of the positions, especially in the early rounds seem to be well above average. Here are the Steelers first and second-round picks over the last 10 drafts.

2015-Bud Dupree, linebacker; Senquez Golson, cornerback

2014-Ryan Shazier, linebacker; Stephon Tuitt, defensive end

2013-Jarvis Jones, linebacker, Le’Veon Bell, running back

2012-David DeCastro, guard; Mike Adams, offensive tackle

2011-Cameron Heyward, defensive end; Marcus Gilbert, offensive tackle

2010-Maurkice Pouncey, center; Jason Worilds, linebacker

2009- Evander Hood, defensive end; Kraig Urbik, guard

2008-Rashard Mendenhall, running back; Limas Sweed, wide receiver

2007-Lawrence Timmons, linebacker; LaMarr Woodley, linebacker

2006-Santonio Holmes, wide receiver; No second-round pick

Just going over this list, there are multiple guys we could give the honor as the biggest bust of the past decade. However, it is more than just bring a player that didn’t work out. A case could be made for running back Rashard Mendenhall. Even though he didn’t have a terrible career, his problems with fumbling, including in the Steelers Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers, makes him a hated figure in Pittsburgh.

read more

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/16/steelers-draft-history-mike-adams-is-the-biggest-bust-of-the-last-10-years/

teegre
02-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Sweed... it is 100% Sweed.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 04:14 PM

I was just going to post and say the exact same thing...

http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/getty/comp/1hKiqW.png

SteelerFanInStl
02-16-2016, 04:20 PM

Agreed. Sweed did nothing in his whole career in the NFL. At least Adams has had some good moments and he's not done yet.

steelreserve
02-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Ziggy Hood has them both beat. Not only did he suck, we kept running him out there 16 games a year for five years because we didn't want to admit the #1 draft pick was a bust.

Sweed's and Adams' problem was that they didn't contribute anything positive and ended up riding the bench. Hood actually played the whole time and made the defense WORSE for several seasons.

Dwinsgames
02-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Urbik a bigger Steelers bust than Adams ( do not believe he ever played a snap in B&G ) went on to play elsewhere though

Count Steeler
02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Urbik a bigger Steelers bust than Adams ( do not believe he ever played a snap in B&G ) went on to play elsewhere though

That's when the Steelers were in their OLine denial phase. He did go on to Buffalo and he plays well. Not sure why they drafted Urbik and didn't really give him a chance. I think that was Kugler's gem.

ALLD
02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
2008 & 2009 drafts were bad and should be erased from history.

steelreserve
02-16-2016, 06:30 PM
2008 & 2009 drafts were bad and should be erased from history.

Well, since not a single player from either year is still on the team, they basically have been.

I guess you could argue that Shamarko Thomas is really Ryan Mundy in disguise, and you might be right, but other than that, it's all lost in the void.

86WARD
02-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Ziggy Hood is #1. Mendenhall is #2. Urbik, Sweed tied for #3. Adams #4. Hated all of those picks from the get go except for the Sweed pick. I liked that pick...a lot...lol.

“10 years from now, we’re going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented WR in the 2008 NFL Draft class.” -- ESPN Analyst Todd McShay.

fansince'76
02-16-2016, 07:25 PM

I was just going to post and say the exact same thing...

http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/getty/comp/1hKiqW.png

Agreed. Sweed did nothing in his whole career in the NFL. At least Adams has had some good moments and he's not done yet.

Buncha haters...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/9amopc.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/9amopc.jpg.html)

:chuckle:

teegre
02-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Buncha haters...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/9amopc.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/9amopc.jpg.html)

:chuckle:

You know what it is about Sweed that makes him such a bust: I thought he was going to be GREAT. When the pick was made, I cheered.

Here's how much I liked the pick: if we were to go back in a time machine, I would still draft him. :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 09:27 PM
You know what it is about Sweed that makes him such a bust: I thought he was going to be GREAT. When the pick was made, I cheered.

Here's how much I liked the pick: if we were to go back in a time machine, I would still draft him. :lol:

my favorite Sweed moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRegGDuu2U

Hawkman
02-16-2016, 09:48 PM

I remember Hines doing everything he could to bolster Sweed's confidence. I too was psyched when he was drafted.

Mojouw
02-16-2016, 10:48 PM

I think almost everyone thought that. It just goes to show how serious mental aspects can be.

I still don't understand how each and every NFL team does not employ and mandate mental health counselors. I mean look at how expensive these players are as investments for the team. And they leave their nutrition and mental health to chance? That is controllable variables.

86WARD
02-17-2016, 04:53 AM

Agree...thought the pick was a perfect one. :lol:

86WARD
02-17-2016, 04:53 AM

His only moment.

teegre
02-17-2016, 06:48 AM
I think almost everyone thought that. It just goes to show how serious mental aspects can be.

I still don't understand how each and every NFL team does not employ and mandate mental health counselors. I mean look at how expensive these players are as investments for the team. And they leave their nutrition and mental health to chance? That is controllable variables.

In the 90s, the Niners did indeed employ a full-time psychologist.

And, in the Steelers' defense, they paid for/sent Sweed to a year of counseling. They were as patient & caring with him, as they were with Spence.

More to your point... Yes, every team should have a full-time psychologist employed.

Hawkman
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM
In the 90s, the Niners did indeed employ a full-time psychologist.

And, in the Steelers' defense, they paid for/sent Sweed to a year of counseling. They were as patient & caring with him, as they were with Spence.

More to your point... Yes, every team should have a full-time psychologist employed.

A Bob Rotella of football?!

BigNastyDefense
02-17-2016, 11:29 AM

First, most teams have a nutritionist. The thing is, you can't force a guy to follow a regimented diet. I mean you can try, fine players for being overweight, PUP list, threatening to release a player who cannot maintain a healthy playing weight. But in the end, that's all up to the player to do what they need to do.

As for the mental health aspect, I'm sure most teams would gladly pay for a player to see a psychologist if the player needed it. But you have to remember that athletes are some of the most prideful people on the planet, and talking about your problems (be it anything - concentration, depression, personal problems, marital problems) they feel makes them look weak. You can mandate that a player goes to one, but that doesn't mean that they have to open up to the psychologist and actually get to the root of whatever the issue is.

Look at Shane Ray. Missouri would have gotten him the help he needed and the anti-anxiety medication he needed...but he didn't want to do that and chose to smoke pot instead, causing him to fall out of the first half of the first round of the draft (and if the Broncos didn't take him probably out of the first round completely).

Mojouw
02-17-2016, 11:39 AM
First, most teams have a nutritionist. The thing is, you can't force a guy to follow a regimented diet. I mean you can try, fine players for being overweight, PUP list, threatening to release a player who cannot maintain a healthy playing weight. But in the end, that's all up to the player to do what they need to do.

As for the mental health aspect, I'm sure most teams would gladly pay for a player to see a psychologist if the player needed it. But you have to remember that athletes are some of the most prideful people on the planet, and talking about your problems (be it anything - concentration, depression, personal problems, marital problems) they feel makes them look weak. You can mandate that a player goes to one, but that doesn't mean that they have to open up to the psychologist and actually get to the root of whatever the issue is.

Look at Shane Ray. Missouri would have gotten him the help he needed and the anti-anxiety medication he needed...but he didn't want to do that and chose to smoke pot instead, causing him to fall out of the first half of the first round of the draft (and if the Broncos didn't take him probably out of the first round completely).

But that is my point. These are young men that will not be asking for help. If you create an open environment with innovative health options/alternatives, you would likely see players take advantage of it. The article from earlier this year about Shaq Barrett being fat and teams not wanting to draft him. Then the Broncos did because they know they have nutritional and lifestyle programs in place that are above and beyond other teams methods. Look what happened there.

Just keeping up the traditional and mythology that it is a tough mans game and just to take salt tablet and suck it up is goofy. I get that you can't force guys to do things, but you can build more into the existing programs. If their was a nutrionist and chef on staff, does anyone think Eddie Lacy would weight 280 pounds?

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Steelers Mike Munchak Updates Status Of T Mike Adams

BY DAVE BRYAN APRIL 30, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Mike Adams has had a rough professional career since being selected in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft and now that the team has drafted former LSU tackle Jerald Hawkins in the fourth round of this year’s draft, the former Ohio state product’s time remaining in Pittsburgh figures to be short.

While Adams did miss the entire 2015 season with a back injury, Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak gave every indication Saturday afternoon that he’s now healthy enough to compete for his roster spot this year during the team’s OTA sessions and training camp.

“He’s working with the players,” said Munchak of Adams. “We’ll see how he develops. Any time with injuries, there’s always uncertainty, but we missed him last year. Hopefully he will be contributing this year.”

Even though the Steelers did lose tackle Kelvin Beachum to the Jacksonville Jaguars during free agency this offseason, they quickly replaced him with former Denver Broncos veteran tackle Ryan Harris. Harris figures to compete with Alejandro Villanueva for the starting left tackle spot this offseason with the loser of that battle serving as the team’s swing tackle. When asked if he knows who will open up training camp as the starter at left tackle, Munchak refused to commit to either Villanueva or Harris.

“I don’t think we’ve even discussed that yet,” said Munchak. “Obviously Villanueva is the one that’s most familiar with the position coming in. That won’t mean a whole lot. Harris is new to the offense. He just got a Super Bowl ring so he brings a lot of experience to the room also.

“We have a lot of good problems to have. We’re going to have some good competition. Ultimately that will make our offensive line even better. Right now, no we haven’t discussed any of those things as far as who’s going to be where. It’s just a matter of getting him in here, starting OTA’s and seeing where it goes.”

As for Adams, he not only now needs to beat out Hawkins this year during training camp, he also must hope that the team ultimately decides to keep four tackle-types on their final 53-man roster this year. Being as the team now has a fourth-round draft pick invested in Hawkins, he really would have to have a tough offseason to wind up not making the final cut.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/steelers-mike-munchak-updates-status-t-mike-adams/

steelreserve
05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
If I were Adams, I'd be spending a lot of time trying to learn how to also play guard, or practicing long snapping ...

st33lersguy
05-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Limas Stone Hands worse than Adams

lipps83
05-01-2016, 12:10 PM
I will never say Sweed was a bust due his wrist injury. His last year at Texas he blew out his wrist, then needing surgery. You need your wrist to catch, and I think his wrist positioning may have been thrown off from the injury and subsequent surgery.

Same with Deion Figures (shot in knee) and Chad Scott (blew knee out). With severe joint injuries, I don't care how the surgery goes or how well you rehab, you are never (ever) 100% exactly the same as before. You can only be close.

Injuries like those, the player can't do anything about. It isn't poor preparation or lack of effort.

So, they get a pass from me.

Devilsdancefloor
05-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Urbik was not a bust the front office tried to sneak him on the PS and Buffalo jumped on him in fact I believe they made him a june 1st cut

steelreserve
05-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Again, there are bigger busts that Sweed or Adams. The biggest busts are not the guys who sit on the bench. They're the guys who play a lot and suck, so they actually make the team WORSE. No one in recent memory comes close to Ziggy Hood for that. Maybe Jarvis Jones. Most players who aren't #1 picks, they have the sense to get them the hell out of there after a few games like that.

lipps83
05-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Again, there are bigger busts that Sweed or Adams. The biggest busts are not the guys who sit on the bench. They're the guys who play a lot and suck, so they actually make the team WORSE. No one in recent memory comes close to Ziggy Hood for that. Maybe Jarvis Jones. Most players who aren't #1 picks, they have the sense to get them the hell out of there after a few games like that.

It would be close between Hood and Jones for who was worse. Hood used to get blown out of the play right off the line. He was for sure a target. Jones doesn't get pushed back as much as Hood did, but then again Jones doesn't even appear to be able to go forward effectively either. Hood at least got behind the line and was able to interrupt the flow of the play sometimes, Jones is just kind of there.

JayC
05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
2008/2009 wow that is difficult to look at

pczach
05-02-2016, 06:22 AM
The biggest bust of the last 10 years doesn't do a good job against JJ Watt, the best defensive player of the last 10 years.

Adams has seen the field, and has done well at times. He has also been injured a lot, and still on the roster with a chance to contribute.

zulater
05-02-2016, 07:09 AM
To me Adams is the biggest bust. I think the guy's a fraud. The highlight of his career was bambooziling Tomlin into drafting him when he requested and was granted a private meeting with the coach prior to the draft. I don't think he has heart or desire to make the commitment necessary to succeed. He just wants that check and will do as little as possible to "earn it".

Sweed just was 3 bricks shy of a load as they say. Great size and speed, could gain separation better than any receiver on the team. The desire and work ethic seemed to be there. He just had a mental block that he couldn't overcome.

Mendenhall deserves consideration because he was your prototypical Tinman. Except unlike the Tinman, Mendenhall couldn't give a shit that he had no heart. He could have been a very good back in the league for a long time if he had only given a damn.

Craic
05-02-2016, 08:19 AM
To me Adams is the biggest bust. I think the guy's a fraud. The highlight of his career was bambooziling Tomlin into drafting him when he requested and was granted a private meeting with the coach prior to the draft. I don't think he has heart or desire to make the commitment necessary to succeed. He just wants that check and will do as little as possible to "earn it".

Sweed just was 3 bricks shy of a load as they say. Great size and speed, could gain separation better than any receiver on the team. The desire and work ethic seemed to be there. He just had a mental block that he couldn't overcome.

Mendenhall deserves consideration because he was your prototypical Tinman. Except unlike the Tinman, Mendenhall couldn't give a shit that he had no heart. He could have been a very good back in the league for a long time if he had only given a damn.

I don't think Adams was the biggest bust. I think he was a square peg they tried to put into a round hole. He was not a left tackle. They should've stuck him on the right side and left him there to develop. However, I also think he would have played even better in a phonebooth - so guard might have been his better spot. As for Sweed, I think Tomlin broke him. When you get yanked everytime you drop a pass, it tends to screw with your confidence, as we saw one game with RBs in Cleveland fumbling the ball. Tomlin has since stopped yanking players for one bad play. Had Sweed come in now, I'm not saying he'd be a top-tier WR, but I think he'd have stuck around a couple of years more than he did, and made some good contributions to the team.

Mendenhall - yep, no heart, but big twitter account. Not a good combo.

fansince'76
05-02-2016, 08:30 AM
As for Sweed, I think Tomlin broke him. When you get yanked everytime you drop a pass, it tends to screw with your confidence, as we saw one game with RBs in Cleveland fumbling the ball. Tomlin has since stopped yanking players for one bad play. Had Sweed come in now, I'm not saying he'd be a top-tier WR, but I think he'd have stuck around a couple of years more than he did, and made some good contributions to the team.

Agreed. Tomlin definitely mishandled Sweed.

Born2Steel
05-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Adams is one of those players with potential thru the roof. He's had injury after injury, and has always been behind the rest because of it. I don't think he has the best work ethic, probably due to he has always been good enough on raw talent. When you mix the injury bug with poor work ethic you get a guy that can't stay on the field, and after a few seasons, doesn't deserve to be. He is a bust, IMO. Biggest bust? Maybe.

Psycho Ward 86
05-02-2016, 11:04 AM

whats work ethic got to do with it? Lazy players produce all the time while hard workers never see the field. The opposite is also true. Adams actually started a lot of games. Horrible left tackle. Very "meh" right tackle, but that 'meh' is better than never seeing the field, and simply dropping passes when you get there.

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Again, I think no production > bad production, so Hood is still at the top for me.

Adams was miscast as a left tackle for sure. He was better on the right, but most importantly was best blocking the run but sub-par on pass protection whichever side he was on. It was just less critical on the right. So that to me says he is an ideal candidate to be tried at guard. Maybe now that we have extra offensive tackles, we'll try that as a last resort before cutting him loose. Who knows, if it works out, it saves us from having to find another OG for depth / eventual Foster replacement.

zulater
05-02-2016, 12:22 PM
whats work ethic got to do with it? Lazy players produce all the time while hard workers never see the field. The opposite is also true. Adams actually started a lot of games. Horrible left tackle. Very "meh" right tackle, but that 'meh' is better than never seeing the field, and simply dropping passes when you get there.

Adams has stuck out like a sore thumb virtually every down he's played regardless of what side he's been lined up on. Even when he hasn't given up a sack or let his man in to destroy the running play he's just got by. The amount or pressures he gave up that Ben was able to step out of (guess he knew where to expect the breakdown) are innumerable given the number of snaps he's played. He's only ever been given playing time because he was overdrafted. Well actually the few times he didn't absolutely suck was when he was used as a 3rd tight end. Other than that this guy owns no good plays.

katmandu
05-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Sweed... it is 100% Sweed.The kid had a very serious problem with Depression and Anxiety. Like a lot people actually.

Too bad he was not able to overcome these issues in time to have a productive career.

- - - Updated - - -

Ziggy Hood has them both beat. Not only did he suck, we kept running him out there 16 games a year for five years because we didn't want to admit the #1 draft pick was a bust.

Sweed's and Adams' problem was that they didn't contribute anything positive and ended up riding the bench. Hood actually played the whole time and made the defense WORSE for several seasons.Very true. Even though Ziggy was the strongest player on the team, he sucked.

Mikey's biggest problem is that he's a soft. Just a big assed Teddy Bear. If he had Hine's Ward's Warrior mentality and fire he'd be a Perennial Pro-Bowler.

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Only David DeCastro Now Remains From Steelers 2012 Draft Class

BY DAVE BRYAN MAY 5, 2016

Just over four years ago the Pittsburgh Steelers selected nine players during the 2012 NFL Draft. As of Thursday, guard David DeCastro is now the only one of those nine that remains of the roster as tackle Mike Adams, who was team’s second-round selection in 2012, has now been released with the failed physical designation.

While it’s easy to judge that particular Steelers draft class four years later by how many players currently remain from it, you have to take into account the fact that they did manage to get quite a bit of production from a few others they selected that year. For starters, tackle Kelvin Beachum, the Steelers final draft pick in the 2012, played in 44 games and made 39 starts during his four years in Pittsburgh. Those numbers would have been even higher had Beachum not torn up his left knee during the first half of the 2015 season.

While Adams career in Pittsburgh certainly didn’t turn out as the organization had originally hoped it would, he still managed to play in 41 games and make 20 starts in his first three years on the roster. Like Beachum, an injury last year not only forced Adams to miss playing time, but the entire season as well.

The Steelers got very unlucky when it came to their third-round selection in 2012 as a serious knee injury suffered by linebacker Sean Spence during the preseason of his rookie year eventually resulted in the Miami product sitting out his first two years in the league. Spence, however, was able to return to action again for the 2014 and 2015 seasons and wound up contributing some on defense in both of those years in addition to playing on special teams. Spence, like Beachum, left Pittsburgh this past offseason via free agency so at least both should ultimately factor into the compensatory draft pick formula next offseason.

The Steelers did miss badly on their five other remaining draft picks, however, as defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu, running back Chris Rainey, wide receiver Toney Clemons, tight end David Paulson and cornerback Terrence Frederick all washed out of Pittsburgh very quickly. Paulson, however, at least stuck around for two seasons while Rainey only played one year in Pittsburgh before being cut loose. With that said, Clemons, Paulson and Frederick were all seventh-round selections and when you factor in that the Steelers hit with their selection of Beachum, their fourth and final seventh-round draft pick that year, it makes the misses with the other three very forgettable.

The fact that the Steelers at least came away from the 2012 NFL Draft with an All-Pro guard in DeCastro, who is almost certain to sign a long-term contract extension later on this summer, makes that 2012 haul a success in my book and especially when you add on top of it how much production they also got out of Beachum.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/david-decastro-remains-steelers-2012-draft-class/

Kittyfish
05-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Ziggy, Urbik, Sweeeeeeed, even Mendy - at least they're all fun to say. Mike Adams? Don't get no duller than that. Biggest bust, for sure.