PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Tuitt: Steelers can be the No. 1 defense in NFL

polamalubeast
02-16-2016, 10:05 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers boasted the top offense in the AFC and the third-best offense in the NFL. If it hadn't been for Antonio Brown's concussion, it might have been Pittsburgh, not Denver, in Super Bowl 50.

After watching an explosive offense featuring a dynamic passing attack and a stellar running game, Stephon Tuitt believes greatness lies within Pittsburgh's defense as well.

"We got nothing but high hopes," Tuitt said recently, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We see the future looking very bright. You see what we can do. I personally believe we can be the No. 1 defense in the run and the pass and we're going to do it."

Led by Tuitt, Cameron Heyward, Ryan Shazier, Bud Dupree and others, the Steelers boasted a devastating front seven in 2015. Pittsburgh ranked fifth overall against the run, giving up just 91.2 yards per game on the ground, and finished with 48 sacks, third most in the NFL. It's notable that their top-two sack performers both played defensive end in a 3-4 defense -- Tuitt and Heyward -- not outside linebacker.

The trouble for Pittsburgh was in the secondary, where teams could pick on the likes of Antwon Blake and Will Allen. The Steelers gave up 271.9 yards per game through the air, ranking 30th in the NFL. Almost once a game, Pittsburgh suffered a breakdown in coverage, allowing a receiver to run wide open for a big play.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636386/article/steelers-tuitt-we-can-be-the-no-1-defense-in-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atn

fansince'76
02-16-2016, 10:15 AM
I'd settle for one that ranks in the top half of the league against the pass at this point...

polamalubeast
02-16-2016, 10:25 AM
I'd settle for one that ranks in the top half of the league against the pass at this point...

That would make a big difference.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 12:00 PM

that was my first thought too.

baby steps...

Count Steeler
02-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Nothing wrong with setting a lofty goal.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Nothing wrong with setting a lofty goal.

I agree, nothing wrong with that at all.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Born2Steel
02-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Notice the leaders mentioned? Heyward, 2 sophomores, and a rookie. This defense is definitely headed in the right direction. A complimentary secondary and we become scary good. Add in our offense, we will be favorites to win this thing again.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Notice the leaders mentioned? Heyward, 2 sophomores, and a rookie. This defense is definitely headed in the right direction. A complimentary secondary and we become scary good. Add in our offense, we will be favorites to win this thing again.

agree 100% with that we need a complimentary secondary, I would love to see the Steelers both draft a CB and S and hopefully sign a CB and S in free agency as well.

but you still need to acquire a pass rusher also, if the other teams QB can just stand back there with very little pressure no secondary is going to look good.

teegre
02-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Add a DT/DE, and they will be #1 against the run.

Add a safety, plus Golson, and they'll move up to about 15-20ish against the pass... which is good enough.

steelreserve
02-16-2016, 01:34 PM
The whole thing depends on one decision IMO: Whether Blake is back and whether Tomlin continues to be bullheaded about starting him. With Blake, whoever he's guarding is the go-to guy, the emergency dump-off guy, the just-chuck-it-up-there-on-a-prayer guy, and everything else you can imagine. It is backbreaking, and the whole defense gets twisted out of shape. Without Blake, it is something resembling a normal secondary, and even Will Allen is not the problem.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that he needs to be in jail or worse before Tomlin will even consider handing the starting job to someone else. So frustrating that the entire hope of winning a championship rests on one guy, and the coach's ability or lack thereof to see his glaring deficiencies. Short of Ben suffering a major injury, I cannot think of one single thing that would hurt our Super Bowl chances worse than reading this single sentence:

"Transactions - Pittsburgh Steelers signed CB Antwon Blake to a one-year tender."

polamalubeast
02-16-2016, 02:08 PM
The whole thing depends on one decision IMO: Whether Blake is back and whether Tomlin continues to be bullheaded about starting him. With Blake, whoever he's guarding is the go-to guy, the emergency dump-off guy, the just-chuck-it-up-there-on-a-prayer guy, and everything else you can imagine. It is backbreaking, and the whole defense gets twisted out of shape. Without Blake, it is something resembling a normal secondary, and even Will Allen is not the problem.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that he needs to be in jail or worse before Tomlin will even consider handing the starting job to someone else. So frustrating that the entire hope of winning a championship rests on one guy, and the coach's ability or lack thereof to see his glaring deficiencies. Short of Ben suffering a major injury, I cannot think of one single thing that would hurt our Super Bowl chances worse than reading this single sentence:

"Transactions - Pittsburgh Steelers signed CB Antwon Blake to a one-year tender."

Rotorhead
02-16-2016, 03:40 PM
I think if we can give the rush 1-2s more our def is top 15. That requires an upgrade at 1 corner and Golden or better at safety. JJ wasn't dominate like OLBs in the past, but he was just that close alot, him JH and Dupree just need that extra second to put us over the top IMHO. We are that close to having a much improved defense. Injuries aside next season, we will be in the SB.

Born2Steel
02-16-2016, 07:27 PM
If healthy, we would have been there this year. The offense was just that good. The article talks about how our sacks came from Heyward and Tuitt, not the usual OLB position. Have to once again agree with the idea of getting another dominant DL to keep those guys fresh. Best case scenario, IMO, and stealing a little from Teegre's article, sign "a Weddle FA", and draft a stud DL. GAME OVER!

fansince'76
02-16-2016, 07:32 PM
I agree, nothing wrong with that at all.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

"Stop talking smack! You never hear any of the Patriots' players saying that!" :hippo: :jerkit: :chuckle:

teegre
02-16-2016, 08:45 PM
If healthy, we would have been there this year. The offense was just that good. The article talks about how our sacks came from Heyward and Tuitt, not the usual OLB position. Have to once again agree with the idea of getting another dominant DL to keep those guys fresh. Best case scenario, IMO, and stealing a little from Teegre's article, sign "a Weddle FA", and draft a stud DL. GAME OVER!

Great post.

Mojouw
02-16-2016, 10:49 PM
Going to regret shooting his mouth off. Don't see the great teams talking about it. Total bulletin board material.

:couch:

86WARD
02-17-2016, 04:52 AM
Here we go again...players starting to "run their mouths!"