PDA

View Full Version : A slimmer Roethlisberger back in Steelers practice

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I love the quote by Randle-El at the end of the article...

A slimmer Roethlisberger back in Steelers practice

http://nbcsportsmedia3.msnbc.com/j/ap/steelers%20roethlisberger%20returns%20football-1932078505.widec.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) looks on during football practice on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

By ALAN ROBINSON
AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH - A slimmed-down Ben Roethlisberger whistled practice passes to his receivers for the first time in five weeks, and a teammate didn't need to watch video tape to know what he'd just seen.

"He's been working hard at home," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He wants to be great this year. So, hopefully, he will (be)."

Even if considerable repair work needs to be done, on the field and off it.

The two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback didn't talk to reporters after practicing Tuesday for the first time since drawing a six-game suspension April 21 for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The penalty resulted from a Georgia college student's allegation that he sexually assaulted her in a nightclub, and though Roethlisberger does not face criminal charges in the case, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the quarterback's drinking and carousing failed to meet the league's expectations for player behavior.

Roethlisberger took part in voluntary practices April 19 and 20, but was barred from working out again until he underwent a league-ordered behavioral evaluation and was cleared by Goodell to resume team activities. The commissioner still hasn't decided if Roethlisberger's suspension will be reduced to four games.

The consensus among Roethlisberger's teammates: Good to have him back, now let's move on — even if they realize that can't possibly happen for months.

"We're all trying to get over this. I think we're all already over this, we want to get ready for the season," said lineman Willie Colon, the only Steelers teammate known to have been with Roethlisberger the night of the incident in Georgia back in early March. "We've got a lot of people we got to knock down. Our focus is being world champs again, and that's where we're all headed to."

Roethlisberger, wearing a white No. 7 jersey atop a yellow practice shirt, took all the snaps with the starters during the 90-minute practice, partly because Byron Leftwich had a previously scheduled commitment and missed the voluntary practice. Coach Mike Tomlin also departed early for the same reason and didn't answer questions.

The only noticeable difference in Roethlisberger since those earlier practices is the weight he's dropped, several players said.

"He's been on the treadmill a little bit," Colon said. "He's trying to get a beach body on."

Leftwich is expected to divide training camp snaps with Roethlisberger as the Steelers prepare one quarterback to start the season and a suspended quarterback to take over sometime in October. No NFL team has gone through such a scenario before starting a season, and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El cautioned it won't be easy.

"It's very delicate and I don't know how they're going to do it," Randle El said. "It's a tricky situation. But you've got to come up with a plan and work it."

Roethlisberger can take part in training camp and play in exhibition games, but will be barred from all team activities once his suspension begins at the start of the season.

He has spoken only once since being accused of assault in Milledgeville, Ga. — when he read a brief statement on April 12. A team spokesman offered no explanation for Roethlisberger's decision not to talk on Tuesday.

Still, Roethlisberger seemed to smile more than usual while practicing, and backup quarterback Dennis Dixon said it was evident this wasn't a routine day.

"He was excited, and that's what you wanted," Dixon said. "He loves what he does, and getting back on the field, it was great to see his familiar face."

Randle El is convinced Roethlisberger has undergone considerable soul-searching the last three months and is determined to become a better person.

"Any time you go through something, it makes you step back and take a look and evaluate, who you're hanging around with and who you're involved with, it makes you do a little bit of an evaluation of your life," Randle El said.

However, the accusation — plus a separate lawsuit accusing Roethlisberger of sexual assault in Nevada — has visibly angered and disappointed the Steelers' huge fan base, with many saying they'll never feel the same way about the franchise again until Roethlisberger is gone. His merchandise sales have plummeted, and some business owners say they can't give away his jerseys.

Regardless, his teammates are offering Roethlisberger any support he wants, Randle El said. They hope that the public eventually comes around, too.

"We've all been through different things, we've all made different mistakes," Randle El said. "When you make those mistakes, as a player, as a friend, as anybody, you've got to have forgiveness in your heart. To be able to forget and move on, that's the kind of thing you have to do and expect. Not just from players but from friends and family, and even everybody that was involved. Everybody makes mistakes, but you can't hold onto it for life."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37448280/ns/sports-nfl/

SteelerEmpire
06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Randle El is really deep into religion like Troy P is ... With these kind of guys around Ben and on the team it should be a real boost for everyone... Considering all the things the team has been through lately, I like the ground-work for the level of resiliency I think the team can attain.

Good to see Ben back in the form of a lean, mean fighting machine...

Psycho Ward 86
06-01-2010, 06:04 PM
He only did it to appease the fans and suppress the fat jokes :rolleyes:

Steelman
06-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Randle El seems to have his head on straight. Hopefully Big Ben is successfully readjusting his too.

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
at this point, no news is good news! :high5:

No news on day of Ben's return

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest
6-1-2010

http://i50.tinypic.com/21cgyhd.jpg

As for the news of the day, there was none.

In recent times, news has come to be confused with hype, and the phalanx of satellite trucks in the parking lot of the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on Tuesday promised to deliver bushels of that. But on the first day of June – as so often is the case in NFL cities at this point in the calendar – nothing really happened.

That Ben Roethlisberger had been cleared by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to return to team activities beginning this week had been known since last Thursday, and word filtered out early on June 1 that neither Roethlisberger nor Coach Mike Tomlin would be available to the media. Then, Byron Leftwich sucked the last legitimate newsy angle from the whole day by not being on hand for the workout, thereby eliminating the possibility of making something out of whether it would be Roethlisberger or Leftwich at quarterback with the first-team offense.

As it was, Roethlisberger essentially replaced Leftwich during the day’s drills, with no other changes to the previous Ben-less pecking order that had Dennis Dixon at quarterback with the 2s and Charlie Batch at quarterback with the 3s.

To sum up, there was no suspense as to when Roethlisberger was going to return, nothing to discern regarding the division of practice repetitions, and no comments from either Tomlin or Roethlisberger at the end of the day.

The only real test to which Roethlisberger was subjected was the eye test, and while he certainly looked to be slim and trim in the uniform of the day, he also looked like a quarterback whose timing and accuracy indicated he hadn’t done a whole lot of practicing of late with his teammates, which he had not, per the terms of the suspension initially levied by Goodell back in late April.

The demands of today’s round-the-clock news cycle will ensure that everything Roethlisberger will be reported, discussed, blogged and tweeted to death, but the reality is that from a purely football standpoint, nobody knows what to expect from a situation where a starting quarterback will be suspended – at least – for the first four games of his team’s regular season, and nobody knows how best to prepare him – and the rest of the team – for that eventuality.

Because the terms of any NFL suspension prohibit the player from having any contact with the team in terms of practicing, meetings, supervised individual workouts and the like for the duration, Roethlisberger is facing a minimum four-week absence from every aspect of his job come the start of the regular season.

Can repetitions in June OTAs, or in training camp, or in the preseason games for that matter, somehow compensate for those weeks? Is there such a thing as a preemptive treatment for rust?

The larger issue in all of this is the progress being made, and still to be made, by Roethlisberger with respect to the terms of his suspension and to make the necessary changes in his life to work himself back into the good graces of the NFL and the Steelers. To rehabilitate himself and his image.

But those are real-life things not to be judged in the media or on message boards, and progress in those areas certainly should not be expected to conform to news cycles or be expected to cater to the daily demands of sports talk radio.

As for the pure football significance of June 1 on the Steelers 2010 season, nothing happened. Film at 11.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-491f1524fb17

salamander
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
It's just good to see him on the football field again. Also glad that he shed some pounds.

SteelMember
06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
It's just good to see him on the football field again. Also glad that he shed some pounds.

Definately.

but can you guys really tell a difference? I mean the sillouette looks the same to me there. Maybe that giant new "dark helmet" makes his body look a little smaller, but I can't tell from that single photo.

I guess I'll just trust Keisel for now... The scale will tell me later. :wink02:

VTsteel
06-01-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.posters.ws/images/424901/simpsons_mr_burns_excellent.jpg

WindyCitySteelerFan
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Welcome back Ben, I can't speak for everyone.. .But I am thrilled to have you back. Now, please keep it zipped up.

Devilsdancefloor
06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Nice to hear he is working hard! I think ARE will have a impact with the team even if it is not on the field.

salamander
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Definately.

but can you guys really tell a difference? I mean the sillouette looks the same to me there. Maybe that giant new "dark helmet" makes his body look a little smaller, but I can't tell from that single photo.

I guess I'll just trust Keisel for now... The scale will tell me later. :wink02:

He does look a little slimmer to me. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :thumbsup:

Godfather
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Hopefully he lost the mullet too.

steelsoldier
06-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I hoping Ben has gotten into better shape maybe it's just me but I thought last year he was so big that he lost a little of that elusiveness he had in previous seasons. I know he has gotten sacked quite a bit over the last three seasons but I could swear I seen him shake off sacks a lot better than last year.

Bluecoat96
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Hopefully he lost the mullet too.

He thankfully cut it off before his meeting with Goodell.

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Ben looking in much better shape and ARE really seems to understand Ben and I have a feeling this is all going to feed positive for Ben during the season when he returns! Im just glad he is back on the field and one step closer for all this to go back to normal so we can deal with one thing, Steelers football!

siss
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
When Ben returns from his suspension it will the return of the prodigal Quarterback!

Bluecoat96
06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Definately.

If you are able to watch the brief clips of him throwing on ESPN.com, he actually does look a fair amount smaller. I agree, that pictures doesn't really show anything.

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Thinner Roethlisberger is all smiles

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 2, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-06-01/0602ben-a.jpg

The anticipated return of Ben Roethlisberger didn't provide much in the way of news beyond his mere presence at practice — or even a sound bite from the Steelers quarterback.

But his teammates said that it was anything but a normal Tuesday for Roethlisberger.

"We were walking in (yesterday) morning, and he told me he woke up before his alarm went off, kind of had butterflies, that first-time feeling coming back to the locker room and getting to work out again," said defensive end Brett Keisel, perhaps Roethlisberger's closest friend on the team. "He's been working hard at home, and he wants to be great this year. Hopefully, he will."

Roethlisberger took a small step toward that goal yesterday.

And if he felt the heat on a toasty day with more than 40 media members watching his every move, he didn't show it.

Roethlisberger looked loose and noticeably thinner while practicing for the first time since April 20 — the day before NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him for the first six games of the 2010 season for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

"He was smiling all day," wide receiver Mike Wallace said after catching passes from Roethlisberger for the first time in six weeks. "You didn't see him down at all."

Added right tackle Willie Colon: "He looked like Superman."

With Byron Leftwich absent — the frontrunner to open the 2010 season at quarterback had told the Steelers he would miss the voluntary practice because of a prior commitment — Roethlisberger got the majority of the work with the first-team offense.

He didn't address the media after practice. Coach Mike Tomlin also didn't talk to reporters as the Steelers said he had an appointment right after drills.

The team hasn't given any indication as to when Roethlisberger will take questions from the media.

He has only read a prepared statement and issued another statement since a 20-year-old college student accused Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga., triggering a widely publicized fall from grace for the two-time Super Bowl winner.

Goodell, who gave Roethlisberger a lengthy suspension even though he was not charged in the Milledgeville incident, cleared Big Ben to return to practice last Thursday.

Roethlisberger practiced yesterday in front of a horde of media that included reporters from national outlets such as ESPN and NFL Network.

One consensus that emerged in regard to Roethlisberger: It's as beneficial for him to practice with the team as it is for the Steelers.

"It's not just calling plays and throwing the ball - it's about being around the guys," wide receiver Antwaan Randle El said. "When you retire, all the players tell you that's what you miss the most. I'm certain when you're out with the situation he had, you miss that."

Randle El and other Steelers continued to stand behind Roethlisberger.

"I think the team was ready to move on awhile ago, but you kind of have to let him deal with it, let Ben have his space," Randle El said. "At the same time, we as a team accept him back because you've got to have forgiveness in your heart, and you've got to move forward."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_684040.html

Galax Steeler
06-02-2010, 03:33 AM
It is sounding good him loosing some weight sounds like he has been taking care of himself while all of this has been going on. I believe that he is focusing on football and not his off field issues. When he comes back from his suspension he will have some fire in his eyes.

Craic
06-02-2010, 03:33 AM
I was actually happy when he showed up with a bit more weight on him last year. Anyone think it is just happenstance that he made it through the entire season without really getting injured? A few nicks and bruises, one game missed with a concussion. I don't know, I gotta wonder if the little extra padding helped him weather the season-not in protecting the insides, but just in his body being able to endure more.

I remember Sean Mahan saying that in 2007, he lost 20 pounds during the season.

solardave
06-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Randle El is really deep into religion like Troy P is ... With these kind of guys around Ben and on the team it should be a real boost for everyone... Considering all the things the team has been through lately, I like the ground-work for the level of resiliency I think the team can attain.

Good to see Ben back in the form of a lean, mean fighting machine...

That could be part of the reason they brought EL back. He may be past his playing prime but can still be a good infuence for the younger guys.

solardave
06-02-2010, 04:55 AM
He only did it to appease the fans and suppress the fat jokes :rolleyes:

I heard but I'm not sure if it's true but the last time Ben practiced he jumped up in the air and got stuck. That's why he lost the weight.:heh: