PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers: 2015 Disappointing player of the year

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: 2015 Disappointing player of the year

February 12, 2016 by Erick Starkey

http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2016/02/USATSI_8995667-450x318.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers had their fair share of successes last year, ending the season with a 10-6 record. They also made it to the divisional round of the playoffs, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champions. That being said, Pittsburgh did have a few disappointments this past season. Most of the Steelers’ disappointments were injuries to key players, but they did have some players who underperformed throughout the season. Here is a look at which Steeler needs to improve for the 2016 season so they can meet the teams expectations for them.

Jarvis Jones, OLB

Jones was Pittsburgh’s first-round draft pick in 2013, and he has not shown much in his three years in the league. During his first two years, he was able to play in only 21 games, racking up 58 tackles and only three sacks. He battled injury in the first two years of his career, and he could never really get going in either season. After his first two seasons, he proved to not be worthy of his 17th overall selection, but Pittsburgh hoped that 2015 would be his breakout year.

This past season proved to be no different for Jones. He did suit up for 15 games, but his production was limited. He started for most of the season, but he could only rack up 29 tackles, which was fewer than he had in 2013, a season in which he played in 14 games. He was able to get two sacks, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and an interception. If you take out the roles that he played in turnovers, Jones would have had an incredibly disappointing season. He just could not get to the ball fast enough to make the play.

The only silver lining to Jones’ resume this past year was the fact that he did not shy away in the playoffs. In two postseason games, he had four and five tackles, to go along with a forced fumble and a sack. Jones showed that he can perform well at a high level in the postseason, but he was so inconsistent for the rest of the year. Jones was able to account for five tackles only twice during the regular season. He has yet to show that he was worth the first-round pick, and if he does not perform well in 2016, he may be a complete bust.

Honorable Mentions

Josh Scobee, K

Scobee was such a big disappointment, that he did not last more than four games. He was brought in at the beginning of the season after injuries to Shaun Suisham and Garrett Hartley, but he did not pan out. In only four games, Scobee missed four of his 10 field goals and one of his extra point attempts. He did miss two key field goals in a loss the Baltimore Ravens in Week 4, and then he was released by the Steelers.

Jacoby Jones, KR

to read rest of article:

http://isportsweb.com/2016/02/12/pittsburgh-steelers-2015-disappointing-player-of-the-year/

polamalubeast
02-12-2016, 05:53 PM
I had no expectations for Jarvis Jones in 2015.Of course, his career is a disappointment, but his season in 2015 was not a surprise.He is what he is.

Josh Scobee's my disappointment.Nothing is worse than seeing your kicker costed a game like that.

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2016, 06:01 PM
I had no expectations for Jarvis Jones in 2015.Of course, his career is a disappointment, but his season in 2015 was not a surprise.He is what he is.

Josh Scobee's my disappointment.Nothing is worse than seeing your kicker costed a game like that.

especially when you trade a 6th round draft choice to acquire a kicker and end up cutting him after only 4 games when he goes 3 for 7 from 40-49 yards out.

Hawkman
02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
You can certainly tell when there's no more football for a while. :wtf:

86WARD
02-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Definitely Jarvis Jones. He was everything but "solid".

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2016, 11:02 AM
How about Shamarko Thomas?

B&GFever
02-13-2016, 11:18 AM
what many do not see looking at stat sheets is snap count , Jones split reps its not like he started and played 85% of the snaps , its also what was his assignment during those snaps , he was asked to drop into coverage a vast majority of the time .

its pretty damned hard to show up on the stat sheet for sacks when you are back pedaling instead of rushing .

the question is was that because they lacked faith in his ability as a rusher or that he was just better versed in coverage than whomever was lined up on the other side and they had to drop one of them to help this horrendous secondary ...

I am not trying to make excuses for Jones but I am trying to understand how you condemn someone for not logging double digit sacks when he played about 20 snaps a game and dropped into coverage basically `12-15 of them ..

do I think he is the answer at OLB ? probably not but I do think he is a solid player who in a rotational role is worthy of a roster spot but I could list some other guys who where FAR worse and logged more snaps on this defense and other draft picks that where drafted by this team that saw the field far less and where bigger gaffs in less exposed time that IMO are far more deserving of being " picked on " for poor play ...

BlAKE .... WORST defender in the league ...( not a draft pick but a starter whom was MUCH worse )

Thomas who cost us a 3rd round pick and has done nothing but have brain farts nearly every time he walks on the field are two pretty solid examples ( drafted early 4th round at the cost of a 3rd round pick the next year in trade via the Browns )

Cortez Allen ......... sucking up valuable cap space and giving the front office false hope for 2 years that we had a starting CB while sitting on IR most of the time , http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

polamalubeast
02-13-2016, 12:12 PM
No doubt, Thomas was very disappointing in pre-season when he was supposed to be a starter and he made several mistakes on special team.One of the biggest bust of the steelers with Jarvis Jones and Limas Sweed in the past few years.

86WARD
02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
How about Shamarko Thomas?

He was already a disappointment...with no "upside".