PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2016 Salary Cap Situation Not As Bleak As Thursday Media Reports Suggest

polamalubeast
02-12-2016, 09:51 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-2016-salary-cap-situation-not-as-bleak-as-thursday-media-reports-suggest/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

steelreserve
02-12-2016, 12:08 PM
It's roughly the same as I expected. We have no money unless we free some up with restructures or cuts. So we do that, do it again next offseason, and go into the offseason in February 2018 $20 million over the cap.

Maybe we can put that off until 2019 because we have a few players (C. Allen, Suisham) likely to be released this year which will save some cash, a few (Heath, Harrison, D. Williams, J. Jones) unlikely to come back after their current contracts are up, and a couple (Timmons, Pouncey) who could potentially save us significant money if traded or released in a year or two if we play it right with their contracts.

Kicking the can down the road is probably the right move to try and win another championship while Ben is still at the top of his game, but we'll be hurting after that, and we can probably kiss anyone from the most recent draft class and the upcoming draft class goodbye.

Count Steeler
02-14-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to lose interest in this whole cap business. It was close to tragic because the NFL basically froze the cap for 3 seasons, but even still, the Steelers survived it.

Kick it down the road, do whatever it takes to get a championship team on the field. We have maybe 5 solid years left in Ben, so let's do it.

steelreserve
02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
You know what else I find absolutely comical? That we're sitting here mere weeks from free agency, and STILL do not know what the real salary cap is (and that the same thing happens every year). Tomorrow is the first day for teams to use the franchise tag, and there are still not official numbers for that either.

What a horseshit, complete amateur-hour way to run the league. You're running a multi-billion dollar operation, and presumably have some of the best accountants and lawyers money can buy - and yet every offseason, this process is about as organized as a guy chasing a bus.

Teams have to plan their entire year based on the cap number, and make decisions that could impact them for several years - and the best you can do is "hyuh-huh, hyuh-huh - coming soon!! \_(ツ)_/ " right up until the actual start of business? Give me a fuckin' break.

86WARD
02-15-2016, 12:00 PM
You know what else I find absolutely comical? That we're sitting here mere weeks from free agency, and STILL do not know what the real salary cap is (and that the same thing happens every year). Tomorrow is the first day for teams to use the franchise tag, and there are still not official numbers for that either.

What a horseshit, complete amateur-hour way to run the league. You're running a multi-billion dollar operation, and presumably have some of the best accountants and lawyers money can buy - and yet every offseason, this process is about as organized as a guy chasing a bus.

Teams have to plan their entire year based on the cap number, and make decisions that could impact them for several years - and the best you can do is "hyuh-huh, hyuh-huh - coming soon!! \_(ツ)_/ " right up until the actual start of business? Give me a fuckin' break.

^ this. It's an absolute joke.

Count Steeler
02-15-2016, 01:12 PM

I guess Kraft and Brady have been unavailable to set the league's limits.

polamalubeast
02-16-2016, 01:41 PM