PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)

teegre
02-11-2016, 06:41 AM
Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh. It parallels the free agency of Rodney Harrison in 2003 with the upcoming free agency of Eric Weddle.

Essentially, it is my plea for the Steelers to sign Weddle.

Like Tears in Rain
by Tiger Rowan

The manner in which memories get entrenched into one’s brain is fascinating. Science has indicated that smells are the primary catalyst for sparking a memory. For example, the mixture of cookies and pine trees often takes people back to when they were kids on Christmas Day. Sounds can have this effect, as well. For me, it is showers… specifically a shower from thirteen years ago.

I was in the shower, listening to local sports talk radio, when I heard the crushing news: Rodney Harrison had signed with the Patriots. I stopped lathering, and just stared at the fogged up mirrors. A tear may have escaped from the corner of my eye, but who really knows, as it would have been lost amongst the droplets of water careening off of my face.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/like-tears-in-rain-history-repeating-from-2003-for-steelers/

Feel free to pass this along to anyone who might enjoy it and/or who might empathize with missing out on their favorite free agent.

LLT
02-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Give me Weddle OR Patrick Robinson..and I will do backflips!

Steeldude
02-11-2016, 07:52 AM

For how much though?

teegre
02-11-2016, 08:57 AM

ROBINSON:
Last off season, Robinson was scheduled to visit the Steelers. I was over at SF, and most of us were like: "HELL NO!!!" Looks like we were wrong.

Can he play the #1 spot? Is he actually better than William Gay?

WEDDLE:
This is the guy. He can walk in and make this defense better from the second that he lines up.

The scuttlebutt is that he was placed on IR by Coach McCoy because Weddle was vocal about the fact that the players had QUIT on the coaching staff. Yes, Weddle was injured, but that was only part of it.

teegre
02-11-2016, 09:06 AM
For how much though?

Good question.

My gut tells me that Weddle wants a ring. He was tired of the losing mentality that had engulfed the Chargers. He has made millions; so, he'll likely sign for a reasonable amount (as opposed to going for as much money as possible).

Mind you, he'll still be expensive. But, I honestly think that it'll be money well spent, when he returns to his All Pro level.

86WARD
02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
If Colbert and Tomlin commit to going "all-in" here, I would love the signing of Weddle. If they are going to try to sign Weddle and then think he's the answer to all...it's not going to fly.

As usual, good stuff teegre

steelreserve
02-11-2016, 11:25 AM
If we can get him for a medium price, I'd take that very quickly. I don't think we'll get him at a bargain-basement price like $2 million or $3 million. But something like Mike Mitchell money might be possible for both sides.

The one qualifier is that I hope it would not mean we lose Golden. That guy showed he is capable of playing in the NFL this season, and is really the only young guy with potential we have at that position. So after Weddle's 1-2 years were over, I'd hope Golden will have a significant role with the team.

Mojouw
02-11-2016, 11:55 AM
If we can get him for a medium price, I'd take that very quickly. I don't think we'll get him at a bargain-basement price like $2 million or $3 million. But something like Mike Mitchell money might be possible for both sides.

The one qualifier is that I hope it would not mean we lose Golden. That guy showed he is capable of playing in the NFL this season, and is really the only young guy with potential we have at that position. So after Weddle's 1-2 years were over, I'd hope Golden will have a significant role with the team.

I would have no problem with 2 years of Weddle at a high or sorta high level meaning Robert Golden has to take the first bus out of town.

I'm never right on these things, but Golden strikes me as having already hit his ceiling. He can help in spots. He can teams. But if you start him, he is going to exposed and become a weak link. No facts or data behind that, just kind of an odd feeling.

hawaiiansteeler
02-11-2016, 11:57 AM
hey t, imo this is the best article you've written yet! :thumbsup:

Eric Weddle would be a HUGE upgrade over Will Allen, hopefully a Mike Mitchell type of deal gets him wearing the Black & Gold...

Born2Steel
02-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Very nicely done. Got me fired up, now I want the guy too.

tube517
02-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Weddle, Shazier, Dupree, Timmons along w/Hey2it would be fun to see wreck havoc out there.

But, yeah, there's that money/contract thing.

teegre
02-11-2016, 12:47 PM
If Colbert and Tomlin commit to going "all-in" here, I would love the signing of Weddle. If they are going to try to sign Weddle and then think he's the answer to all...it's not going to fly.

As usual, good stuff teegre

Yep.
Signing Weddel would be be going for a championship right now... which I'm fine wi (since BB isn't getting any younger).

(Thank you for the kind words.)

steelreserve
02-11-2016, 01:17 PM
I would have no problem with 2 years of Weddle at a high or sorta high level meaning Robert Golden has to take the first bus out of town.

I'm never right on these things, but Golden strikes me as having already hit his ceiling. He can help in spots. He can teams. But if you start him, he is going to exposed and become a weak link. No facts or data behind that, just kind of an odd feeling.

If it came down to that choice straight-up, then I'd have to agree with you, no question. One's a star player who may be able to help us win immediately; the other's promising but not irreplaceable.

Where I'm coming from is, Golden played better than Allen or Thomas this season, so I'd hate to lose the guy who's currently our second-best safety and who also is not going to cost a whole lot of money. He's also probably our only depth if one of our main guys is out.

You may be right about him not having a super-high ceiling, but I'd disagree about being exposed. The things I saw on the field were that, while he doesn't have any super flashy playmaking ability, he's rarely out of position and he rarely misses tackles. He's not going to be Polamalu or even Ryan Clark - more like kind of the Larry Foote of defensive backs. Not a star, but still contributes and doesn't make costly mistakes. That's still not a bad player to have.

I guess if we actually did sign Weddle, that would also give us a couple years to come up with another mid-level player like Golden, which is certainly doable.

Mojouw
02-11-2016, 02:37 PM
If it came down to that choice straight-up, then I'd have to agree with you, no question. One's a star player who may be able to help us win immediately; the other's promising but not irreplaceable.

Where I'm coming from is, Golden played better than Allen or Thomas this season, so I'd hate to lose the guy who's currently our second-best safety and who also is not going to cost a whole lot of money. He's also probably our only depth if one of our main guys is out.

You may be right about him not having a super-high ceiling, but I'd disagree about being exposed. The things I saw on the field were that, while he doesn't have any super flashy playmaking ability, he's rarely out of position and he rarely misses tackles. He's not going to be Polamalu or even Ryan Clark - more like kind of the Larry Foote of defensive backs. Not a star, but still contributes and doesn't make costly mistakes. That's still not a bad player to have.

I guess if we actually did sign Weddle, that would also give us a couple years to come up with another mid-level player like Golden, which is certainly doable.

Excellent point. I guess I totally meant that Golden could be Larry Foote like. I just have a naive hope that the Steelers in any given 2 year window can come up with an equivalent safety if Golden were to leave.

However, surveying the burning wreckage of the DB talent pool that this team has sifted through in recent years makes me wonder if that is actually the case...

teegre
02-11-2016, 02:38 PM

Yep.

Sign Weddle. Focus on getting a DT/DE and a CB in this draft, while draft a backup safety in the later rounds (or, re-sign Golden as the backup). Then, get the safety of the future next draft.

Thought:
Maybe Doran Grant is Golden's replacement as the backup safety.

teegre
02-11-2016, 02:47 PM

I'd be willing to pay him $8 million... mostly becayse I think he's got one more All Pro season left in the tank.

As as far as the money goes, I say: win now. After BB retires, and these checks come due, the Steelers might have to clean house and have a down year or two, but it'd be worth it.

That said, the Steelers don't usualky go for broke, at the expense of having a down season or two. Then again, they went 20 years between franchise QBs. Maybe they realize that if they win two more with BB, that going 4-12 in 2020 might actually be a good thing (they'd be in position to draft their next franchise QB).

teegre
02-11-2016, 03:16 PM
hey t, imo this is the best article you've written yet! :thumbsup:

Eric Weddle would be a HUGE upgrade over Will Allen, hopefully a Mike Mitchell type of deal gets him wearing the Black & Gold...

Thanks, brother. That truly means a lot to me.

Even if Weddle is only slightly better than Allen, it'd be worth it. And, honestly, I think Weddle will indeed be a huge upgrade over Allen.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nicely done. Got me fired up, now I want the guy too.

That was my plan. :wink02:

Rotorhead
02-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Great write up, and I guess we will find out their philosophy soon. If they sign Weddle, they are in a win now mode (and also a good piece of bait for the ringless Weddle). If they go draft, then they are staying the course and we can only hope our def improves to a top 10 next season with draft, low level FA's and ppl getting comfortable enough to make a difference. I am hoping they sign Weddle for 2 years and we go for the rings the next season or two. I can live with a couple of down seasons after a ring or two.

polamalubeast
02-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Great write up, and I guess we will find out their philosophy soon. If they sign Weddle, they are in a win now mode (and also a good piece of bait for the ringless Weddle). If they go draft, then they are staying the course and we can only hope our def improves to a top 10 next season with draft, low level FA's and ppl getting comfortable enough to make a difference. I am hoping they sign Weddle for 2 years and we go for the rings the next season or two. I can live with a couple of down seasons after a ring or two.

Agree.

This is what John Elway did with the Broncos and it worked.It's not guaranteed a Super Bowl, but it would give us a better chance to win a Super Bowl.

If our QB would be young, it would be different, but that is not the case and the Steelers need to be aggressive this year.

teegre
02-11-2016, 07:22 PM
I can live with a couple of down seasons after a ring or two.

The more that I think about it, it might actually be better to have "one down year"... to get into the top 10, in order to draft the next franchise QB.

2016: championship!!!
2017: championship!!!
2018: BB retires
2019: chickens come home to roost

With the 8th overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Steelers select: Fran Chyze, QB, School University.

Shoes
02-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Good question.

My gut tells me that Weddle wants a ring. He was tired of the losing mentality that had engulfed the Chargers. He has made millions; so, he'll likely sign for a reasonable amount (as opposed to going for as much money as possible).

Mind you, he'll still be expensive. But, I honestly think that it'll be money well spent, when he returns to his All Pro level.

That's how I see it also. Why else would the guy continue to play, lets hope things work out. Nice read TR!

B&GFever
02-11-2016, 09:19 PM
sorry if I would not be excited about signing a 31 year old vet who's production and health slid last year and could very well be living on reputation from this day forward ...

I am all for signing someone who can help us but lets make that a guy south of the 30 year mark of his time here on earth spent to date ...

we have been saying " old man will allen for 3 years now or so it seems " Allen is 33 .......

we condemned Troy his last 2 years , same with Ryan Clark his final 2 years in Pittsburgh what makes anyone think Weddle will be any different ?

so instead of us rejoicing with fold memories of his past work in Black and gold ( because there are not any ) we will be quick to make him our whipping boy when he fails to deliver what our memory of his play 2-3 years ago never shows up here ...

no thanks ...

teegre
02-11-2016, 10:39 PM
sorry if I would not be excited about signing a 31 year old vet who's production and health slid last year and could very well be living on reputation from this day forward ...

I am all for signing someone who can help us but lets make that a guy south of the 30 year mark of his time here on earth spent to date ...

we have been saying " old man will allen for 3 years now or so it seems " Allen is 33 .......

we condemned Troy his last 2 years , same with Ryan Clark his final 2 years in Pittsburgh what makes anyone think Weddle will be any different ?

so instead of us rejoicing with fold memories of his past work in Black and gold ( because there are not any ) we will be quick to make him our whipping boy when he fails to deliver what our memory of his play 2-3 years ago never shows up here ...

no thanks ...

I hear your concerns, especially because Troy went from All World to Jason Worilds in just two seasons.

But...

1. Weddle was injured. It wasn't a though his play had diminished.

2. At times, he was the only player trying. After the Steelers game, he mentioned this to the media... which the coaches did not appreciate.

3. Rumor has it that McCoy put Weddle on IR partially as a disciplinary measure.

SUMMATION:
While I understand why you'd be concerned, I personally see Weddle's situation more akin to Rodney Harrison's situation (and less like Troy's situation).

LLT
02-12-2016, 05:56 AM
ROBINSON:
Last off season, Robinson was scheduled to visit the Steelers. I was over at SF, and most of us were like: "HELL NO!!!" Looks like we were wrong.

Can he play the #1 spot? Is he actually better than William Gay?

Robinson placed second in the league at cornerback, allowing only 8.9 yards per reception and he held opposing quarterbacks to a NFL passer rating of 74.0.

teegre
02-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Robinson placed second in the league at cornerback, allowing only 8.9 yards per reception and he held opposing quarterbacks to a NFL passer rating of 74.0.

If my memory serves me correctly, Robinson had one of the worst ratings in 2014.

Which means that Antwaan Blake will be the #2 rated CB in the entire league for the 2016 season. :nod:

polamalubeast
02-12-2016, 06:37 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, Robinson had one of the worst ratings in 2014.

Which means that Antwaan Blake will be the #2 rated CB in the entire league for the 2016 season. :nod:

Does Robinson played for the Saints in 2014?

That was probably the reason why he was bad!

LLT
02-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Robinson was benched after playing through an injury in New Orleans...This last year he only had one interception BUT posting an overall PFF grade of 5.7.... He also placed sixth in the league, allowing only .78 yards per coverage snap. Solid run defender and better coverage skill than anyone we currently have on the roster.

teegre
02-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Does Robinson played for the Saints in 2014?

That was probably the reason why he was bad!

Yes, he did... and, very true.

The Saints secondary was horrible; I believe the stat was that they didn't record an interception for that entire season.

Melding everything togerher... Robinson went from playing in a bad secondary (Saints) to playing with Eric Weddle. Dare I say that Weddle might of had some (positive) impact on Robinson's turnaround...

- - - Updated - - -

Robinson was benched after playing through an injury in New Orleans...This last year he only had one interception BUT posting an overall PFF grade of 5.7.... He also placed sixth in the league, allowing only .78 yards per coverage snap. Solid run defender and better coverage skill than anyone we currently have on the roster.

Sign Weddle.
Sign Robinson.
Draft a DE/DT.
Dradt an OLB.
SuperBowl.

teegre
02-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Local radio show was just talking about the Weddle situation... specifically, Weddle being placed on IR for the last game of the season.

Concensus: Weddle was being disciplined for watching his daughter (who was cheerleading) during half-time, as opposed to going into the locker room.

Whether or not Weddle deserves some of the blame is irrelevant; this was the final straw for both parties. Weddle had grown tired of other players "quitting" during games, and the Chargers got tired of Weddle voicing that opinion. Hence, Weddle saw no reason to go into the locker room (considering that his teammates were laughing & joking on the sidelines), and the Chargers saw no reason to let him play that final game.

SUMMATION:
Age might indeed be a concern, but I still say that last season's slump was more about the relationship between Weddle and the coaches (than about his ability to play).

Count Steeler
02-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Local radio show was just talking about the Weddle situation... specifically, Weddle being placed on IR for the last game of the season.

Concensus: Weddle was being disciplined for watching his daughter (who was cheerleading) during half-time, as opposed to going into the locker room.

Whether or not Weddle deserves some of the blame is irrelevant; this was the final straw for both parties. Weddle had grown tired of other players "quitting" during games, and the Chargers got tired of Weddle voicing that opinion. Hence, Weddle saw no reason to go into the locker room (considering that his teammates were laughing & joking on the sidelines), and the Chargers saw no reason to let him play that final game.

SUMMATION:
Age might indeed be a concern, but I still say that last season's slump was more about the relationship between Weddle and the coaches (than about his ability to play).

And here I thought that IR was only used on injured players. Don't let Belicheat find out, because he is such a genius that he will surely figure out a way to cheat the NFL.

What's that? You think he already does it?

What IS this world coming to?

teegre
02-14-2016, 09:38 PM
And here I thought that IR was only used on injured players. Don't let Belicheat find out, because he is such a genius that he will surely figure out a way to cheat the NFL.

What's that? You think he already does it?

What IS this world coming to?

Pfft... strawman argument.

Joking aside: along those same lines, on the morning of the Seahawks-Taperiots SuperBowl, Belichick cut a guy. Imagine that. You wake up ready to play in the SuperBowl, and you are informed that you've been cut. How heartless is that???

Count Steeler
02-15-2016, 06:48 AM
Pfft... strawman argument.

Joking aside: along those same lines, on the morning of the Seahawks-Taperiots SuperBowl, Belichick cut a guy. Imagine that. You wake up ready to play in the SuperBowl, and you are informed that you've been cut. How heartless is that???

Genius. Classless, but genius.

teegre
02-15-2016, 11:21 PM
Genius. Classless, but genius.

You know, Belichick's use of the TE was indeed genius. He does indeed have a brilliant football mind.

But, I would never want him as my coach, because he lacks ethics, morals, and/or scruples.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 12:01 AM
You know, Belichick's use of the TE was indeed genius. He does indeed have a brilliant football mind.

But, I would never want him as my coach, because he lacks ethics, morals, and/or scruples.

agree on both points.

Belicheat has a great football mind, but he's a cheater in both his personal and professional life.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 11:44 PM
2016 NFL Free Agents: Top 90

9. Eric Weddle, S, Chargers. Age: 31

Eric Weddle is coming off his best season, as he was hindered with some injuries throughout the 2015 campaign. However, he's still one of the top safeties in the NFL. Weddle, who turned 31 on Jan. 4, should still be able to play on a high level for three or four more seasons, as safeties tend to perform well into their mid-30s.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2016all.php#o0eWAiUD0OXcvrYX.99

86WARD
02-17-2016, 04:51 AM
If a coach could deliver 4 more Super Bowls, I'd be fine if he were a dirt bag...lol.

teegre
02-17-2016, 06:50 AM
2016 NFL Free Agents: Top 90

9. Eric Weddle, S, Chargers. Age: 31

Eric Weddle is coming off his best season, as he was hindered with some injuries throughout the 2015 campaign. However, he's still one of the top safeties in the NFL. Weddle, who turned 31 on Jan. 4, should still be able to play on a high level for three or four more seasons, as safeties tend to perform well into their mid-30s.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2016all.php#o0eWAiUD0OXcvrYX.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6P40wLThbc&app=desktop

teegre
02-18-2016, 06:34 AM
If a coach could deliver 4 more Super Bowls, I'd be fine if he were a dirt bag...lol.

I have given this some thought...

Could I truly cheer that my team has won a few Lombardis while being accused of (and caught) cheating? I just don't think that I could.

People call Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk "bitter", but the comments from them ("It's like they knew our plays") are damning. Heck, even the soft-spoken Troy Polamalu had a few bad thoughts on the cheating that the Taperiots did.

If ESPN wasn't being held over a barrel by the MNF contract, I am sure we would hear a lot more about the cheating. Nope. Kraft owns Goodell who owns ESPN.

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Eric Weddle, George Iloka or Tashaun Gipson?

by Ray Fittipaldo

From Eugene Mannarino: Who will be the one Steelers’ outside free agent?

Fittipaldo: As much as I’d like to tell you it will be safety Eric Weddle or cornerback Sean Smith, I don’t think the Steelers are going to pay what they’re likely to fetch on the open market. That hasn’t been the Steelers’ history in free agency. They’ve never gone after the first-tier free agents. Teams with lots of cap space will pay, and probably overpay, for those guys. What the Steelers have traditionally done is go after younger and ascending players who can grow in their system. Think of the Mike Mitchell signing. He was 26 when they signed him, and while he wasn’t unknown, he certainly wasn’t the marquee free agent safety of 2014. The Steelers got him for $25 million over five years. So if you look at players like that this season there are a few names. George Iloka of the Bengals is 25 and a really solid strong safety. They could probably get him for $5 or 6 million a season. Another name is Tashaun Gipson of the Browns. He’s also 25 and they might be able to get him in the same price range, maybe even a little less because he’s coming off a bad year. And I continue to believe, if they’re going to spend money on a starter in free agency, it will be a safety and not a corner. It’s Weddle in a perfect world though. If the Steelers do break from tradition he’d be an ideal candidate to plug into the starting lineup. And he wants to play for a contender.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2016/02/19/Eric-Weddle-George-Iloka-or-Tashaun-Gipson.html

teegre
02-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Eric Weddle, George Iloka or Tashaun Gipson?

by Ray Fittipaldo

From Eugene Mannarino: Who will be the one Steelers’ outside free agent?

Fittipaldo: As much as I’d like to tell you it will be safety Eric Weddle or cornerback Sean Smith, I don’t think the Steelers are going to pay what they’re likely to fetch on the open market. That hasn’t been the Steelers’ history in free agency. They’ve never gone after the first-tier free agents. Teams with lots of cap space will pay, and probably overpay, for those guys. What the Steelers have traditionally done is go after younger and ascending players who can grow in their system. Think of the Mike Mitchell signing. He was 26 when they signed him, and while he wasn’t unknown, he certainly wasn’t the marquee free agent safety of 2014. The Steelers got him for $25 million over five years. So if you look at players like that this season there are a few names. George Iloka of the Bengals is 25 and a really solid strong safety. They could probably get him for $5 or 6 million a season. Another name is Tashaun Gipson of the Browns. He’s also 25 and they might be able to get him in the same price range, maybe even a little less because he’s coming off a bad year. And I continue to believe, if they’re going to spend money on a starter in free agency, it will be a safety and not a corner. It’s Weddle in a perfect world though. If the Steelers do break from tradition he’d be an ideal candidate to plug into the starting lineup. And he wants to play for a contender.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2016/02/19/Eric-Weddle-George-Iloka-or-Tashaun-Gipson.html

WEDDLE:
He wants to win. That is his #1 priority. Ergo, I truly see it happening.

That said, let's assume it doesn't occur.

ILOKA:
He would be a great pickup. He's young and cheap. Plus, he's big.

GIPSON:
He reminds me of DHB: one good season surrounded by a lot of suck. That would be a huge risk.

Shoes
02-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Ryan Clark offers his number to Eric Weddle to come to the Steelers
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/19/ryan-clark-offers-his-number-to-eric-weddle-to-come-to-the-steelers/

teegre
02-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Ryan Clark offers his number to Eric Weddle to come to the Steelers
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/19/ryan-clark-offers-his-number-to-eric-weddle-to-come-to-the-steelers/

Wow!!!... that is great.

Seriously, if that's not a precursor, then I don't know what is.

hawaiiansteeler
02-24-2016, 07:44 PM
A few weeks ago, Spotrac.com introduced a new tool called the Calculated Market Value that estimates the likely contract value of the premier free agents on the market. The tool uses a variety of factors, including players it considers comparable, age, and statistical comparisons over the two preceding seasons, to determine a given free agent's value.

Here's what they expect for Eric Weddle:

Calculated: 2 years $13.8M ($6.9M AAV)

Likely: 4 years, $28M ($7M AAV)

Much like running backs, safeties simply aren’t commanding the dollars they once did. And those over 30 are annual candidates to be roster cuts/cap casualties. Weddle has an opportunity to buck the trend a bit, with back to back outstanding seasons in San Diego to begin his 30’s. Weddle has likely played his last game in San Diego, and while a high annual average salary isn’t likely, multiple offers on the open market should reward him with a longer term deal, guarantees front-loaded of course.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/2/24/11104546/nfl-com-safety-eric-weddle-a-good-fit-for-dallas-cowboys

teegre
02-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Here's what they expect for Eric Weddle:

Done.

Pass him the pen...

hawaiiansteeler
03-04-2016, 06:48 PM
from Pro Football Focus:

Target

S Eric Weddle

The Steelers are, as ever it seems, not blessed with a massive amount of cap space, so shrewd investments will be key until moves are made to free up money. Though the Steelers need to get younger on defense, putting the right veteran leadership and performance in place is also important, and Eric Weddle could certainly help the Pittsburgh secondary. Paired with Mike Mitchell, Weddle would bring versatility and unrivaled quality to the Steelers’ secondary, offering a sure pair of hands to support both a fledgling crop of cornerbacks and support a linebacker group that attacks aggressively and can leave gaps that need to be plugged by the secondary unit to cut off big plays.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/25/pro-why-steelers-should-re-sign-kelvin-beachum-target-eric-weddle/

steelreserve
03-04-2016, 07:47 PM

Likely: 4 years, $28M ($7M AAV)

Done.

Pass him the pen...

No shit. They can free that up for a year or two without much trouble.

I also think that their "likely" guess of 4 years is only likely after smoking a LOT of crack. Nobody is going to give a 4-year contract to a non-QB who'll be 32. You have to be really good just to get something better than year-to-year.

teegre
03-05-2016, 07:58 AM

I also think that their "likely" guess of 4 years is only likely after smoking a LOT of crack. Nobody is going to give a 4-year contract to a non-QB who'll be 32. You have to be really good just to get something better than year-to-year.

We agree 100%.

polamalubeast
03-05-2016, 08:02 AM

Maybe a team will gave a 4 year contrat to Weddle if its last two years are not guaranteed

teegre
03-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Maybe a team will gave a 4 year contrat to Weddle if its last two years are not guaranteed

I could see that... an incentive-heavy final two years. That would allow him to retire/be cut without much of a repercussion. (Or, if he played and played well, he'd "earn his keep.")

steelreserve
03-05-2016, 12:41 PM

I could see that... an incentive-heavy final two years. That would allow him to retire/be cut without much of a repercussion. (Or, if he played and played well, he'd "earn his keep.")

Well, no reason why that team couldn't be us, then.

hawaiiansteeler
03-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Well, no reason why that team couldn't be us, then.

it could, but if it turns into a bidding war it won't be...

steelreserve
03-05-2016, 05:03 PM
it could, but if it turns into a bidding war it won't be...

It doesn't sound like it's going to be a bidding war, unless the guy considers the Raiders or Jaguars a championship contender. As long as we make a reasonable offer, it probably at least gets listened to.

Shoes
03-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Sendejo Contract Could Shape Market For Golden

BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) MARCH 5, 2016 AT 04:03 PM
We’re getting our first taste at what the 2016 market is going to look like. It’s going to be an expensive field to play. Especially in the secondary.
We wrote about that just the other day, citing the several reports of cornerbacks anxious to cash in. The same could happen at safety and we already have one concrete deal that may help shape the floor.
The Minnesota Vikings have signed SS Andrew Sendejo to a four year, $16 million deal. While the all-important signing bonus and guaranteed money are not known, that four million yearly value for average starting talent is likely higher than what some of us expected.
And to apply that to Pittsburgh, if told there is a clear path for Robert Golden to start, that figures to be roughly the same amount he’s worth. This comes in higher than the 2-3 million annual value we pegged Golden for about a month ago. Though ideally, you’d like to get a player like him on the cheap, there are two obstacles.
1. If Golden does not feel like he has a clear path to being a starter, he will explore the market.
2. If Golden feels like he has a clear path in Pittsburgh, it will cost more money than you think.
Either the Steelers have to focus on a new plan, and I’m sure that’s already been done, or will have to pony up the cash the market is going to demand. For these defensive backs, it will be an extreme challenge to get a market-friendly deal. If Golden signs in Pittsburgh, I would expect the basic construction to be similar to what Sendejo received.
That also has a trickle up effect on the rest of the class and shows how expensive it will be to sign someone like Eric Weddle. Even if he is willing to take a little less for a contender, no one is taking significantly below their perceived worth. With Sendejo getting that amount, it’s impossible to think Weddle will entertain any deal below $6 million per season and he’ll likely wind up getting in the 7-7.5 million range, leveraging multiple teams’ interest against each other. At this point, it’s not even worth discussing the idea of Weddle coming to Pittsburgh, despite how popular of a name he’s become for reasons that were never exactly clear to me.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/sendejo-contract-shape-market-golden/

hawaiiansteeler
03-05-2016, 08:30 PM
March 5 Updates

Vikings re-sign S Andrew Sendejo (4 years, $14 million): D Grade

I don't understand this whatsoever. The Vikings have said that they want to upgrade the safety position next to Harrison Smith, and this was with Andrew Sendejo on the roster. With that in mind, why would they give a player they don't like very much this sort of contract?

Sendejo isn't completely useless. While he whiffs on tackles, he's a decent backup and a quality special-teamer. However, players like that can be found anywhere and at a much cheaper price. This contract is almost three years and $13 million too much. I don't mind that the Vikings are preserving continuity, but they're paying way too much to do that.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

teegre
03-06-2016, 08:38 AM

BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) MARCH 5, 2016 AT 04:03 PM
We’re getting our first taste at what the 2016 market is going to look like. It’s going to be an expensive field to play. Especially in the secondary.
We wrote about that just the other day, citing the several reports of cornerbacks anxious to cash in. The same could happen at safety and we already have one concrete deal that may help shape the floor.
The Minnesota Vikings have signed SS Andrew Sendejo to a four year, $16 million deal. While the all-important signing bonus and guaranteed money are not known, that four million yearly value for average starting talent is likely higher than what some of us expected.
And to apply that to Pittsburgh, if told there is a clear path for Robert Golden to start, that figures to be roughly the same amount he’s worth. This comes in higher than the 2-3 million annual value we pegged Golden for about a month ago. Though ideally, you’d like to get a player like him on the cheap, there are two obstacles.
1. If Golden does not feel like he has a clear path to being a starter, he will explore the market.
2. If Golden feels like he has a clear path in Pittsburgh, it will cost more money than you think.
Either the Steelers have to focus on a new plan, and I’m sure that’s already been done, or will have to pony up the cash the market is going to demand. For these defensive backs, it will be an extreme challenge to get a market-friendly deal. If Golden signs in Pittsburgh, I would expect the basic construction to be similar to what Sendejo received.
That also has a trickle up effect on the rest of the class and shows how expensive it will be to sign someone like Eric Weddle. Even if he is willing to take a little less for a contender, no one is taking significantly below their perceived worth. With Sendejo getting that amount, it’s impossible to think Weddle will entertain any deal below $6 million per season and he’ll likely wind up getting in the 7-7.5 million range, leveraging multiple teams’ interest against each other. At this point, it’s not even worth discussing the idea of Weddle coming to Pittsburgh, despite how popular of a name he’s become for reasons that were never exactly clear to me.

$7-$7.5 million is not that far off from the aforementioned $6.9 million.

Ergo, everything is still a "go".

Shoes
03-06-2016, 12:58 PM
$7-$7.5 million is not that far off from the aforementioned $6.9 million.

Ergo, everything is still a "go".

I'm hoping Broheim!

Mojouw
03-06-2016, 01:19 PM

I'm usually one for the whole market value thing, but if they pay Robert Golden this kind of money they are cuckoo for coco puffs.

steelreserve
03-06-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm usually one for the whole market value thing, but if they pay Robert Golden this kind of money they are cuckoo for coco puffs.

Yeah, I am really hoping that the stupidest move by one team is not what "sets the market" for the year simply because it came first. However, agents are going to cling to it until the bitter end.

Basically, how it affects this depends a lot on whether Weddle's agent is a regular one, or some fuckjob like Scott Boras or Drew Rosenhaus.

edit: It looks like just a regular guy, but still, given how agents tend to be about as honorable as a not-too-honest cockroach, nothing would surprise me.

polamalubeast
03-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I am really hoping that the stupidest move by one team is not what "sets the market" for the year simply because it came first. However, agents are going to cling to it until the bitter end.

Basically, how it affects this depends a lot on whether Weddle's agent is a regular one, or some fuckjob like Scott Boras or Drew Rosenhaus.

edit: It looks like just a regular guy, but still, given how agents tend to be about as honorable as a not-too-honest cockroach, nothing would surprise me.

Not put Drew Rosenhaus in the same category than Scott Boras.Boras is simply on a another level because his players are always free agent.Drew Rosenhaus not always wait his players to be free agent.If the team made a good offer to his players, he will accept it.

Boras always wait that his players are on the open market.Boras is never open to signing with his own team before the free agency.

polamalubeast
03-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Also Boras would never accept the offer that the Steelers have made to Antonio Brown in 2012.

Boras would have waited that its value be very high before signing a long term contract.

steelreserve
03-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Also Boras would never accept the offer that the Steelers have made to Antonio Brown in 2012.

Boras would have waited that its value be very high before signing a long term contract.

At the time we made that offer, it was an AWESOME deal for Brown. Not to mention that even if he made less than he would've gotten on the open market - by exiting his rookie contract early, he got the opportunity to earn $10-$15M more than he would've by waiting. So I think even Boras would have taken that deal in a half-second. If it turned out to be undervalued, you can always try to get it inflated later by making threats.

Anyway, having said all of that, this offseason would not be a bad time to extend Brown's deal, as long as the extension is to pay him closer to his real value in the additional years in 2018-19, not jack up what he's making in the next couple.

polamalubeast
03-06-2016, 06:37 PM
At the time we made that offer, it was an AWESOME deal for Brown. Not to mention that even if he made less than he would've gotten on the open market - by exiting his rookie contract early, he got the opportunity to earn $10-$15M more than he would've by waiting. So I think even Boras would have taken that deal in a half-second. If it turned out to be undervalued, you can always try to get it inflated later by making threats.

Anyway, having said all of that, this offseason would not be a bad time to extend Brown's deal, as long as the extension is to pay him closer to his real value in the additional years in 2018-19, not jack up what he's making in the next couple.

Never Boras would have accepted the offer of the Steelers in 2012.Name me a player than Boras has accept a contract with his own team before he hit the open market?.....It almost never happened.

Also, on the open market, Brown would probably have had a bigger contract between the 2011 and 2012 season, since Brown had 1100 yards in the 2011 season as number 2 WR and Brown had a very good potential.

Shoes
03-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Eric Weddle the perfect free agent?

The Pittsburgh Steelers clearly need to work on their secondary this offseason. They finished 30th in the NFL in passing yards allowed, with 271.9 yards allowed per game through the air. The Steelers’ biggest weakness on either side of the ball was the ability to stop the pass, so that is something the team will need to address before the start of the 2016 season. That being said, Pittsburgh does not usually make big splashes in free agency. The biggest move they made last year was to bring in DeAngelo Williams, but they did not bring in any huge names. Even though it may be uncharacteristic, the Steelers should give strong consideration to bring in the big name of Eric Weddle this offseason.

>snip<

The combination of Weddle and Mitchell would be a huge force to be reckoned with. Both of them can range across the field, and can be in position to make a play on any given down. The two of them, with Allen coming off the bench in relief, would greatly help out Pittsburgh’s passing defense. Weddle is not the only piece that can improve this part of the defense, but he is certainly a great start.

http://isportsweb.com/2016/03/04/pittsburgh-steelers-eric-weddle-perfect-free-agent/ (http://isportsweb.com/2016/03/04/pittsburgh-steelers-eric-weddle-perfect-free-agent/)

steelreserve
03-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Never Boras would have accepted the offer of the Steelers in 2012.Name me a player than Boras has accept a contract with his own team before he hit the open market?.....It almost never happened.

Also, on the open market, Brown would probably have had a bigger contract between the 2011 and 2012 season, since Brown had 1100 yards in the 2011 season as number 2 WR and Brown had a very good potential.

Rookie contracts are different. You're making the league minimum, so if you have an opportunity to get out of it early and sign a "grown-up" contract, there is zero upside to playing out your deal and testing the market.

If Brown waited a year to negotiate, what would he have gotten - $10 million a year? $12 million? Well, when you consider he'd give up about that much by finishing his rookie contract and playing another year or two for $500,000 ... you'd have to get a LOT bigger deal just to break even.

It's not about leverage, it's simple math. Even Boras would understand that.

hawaiiansteeler
03-06-2016, 11:37 PM
It doesn't sound like it's going to be a bidding war, unless the guy considers the Raiders or Jaguars a championship contender. As long as we make a reasonable offer, it probably at least gets listened to.

the Panthers are a championship contender...

The Panthers have interest in Eric Weddle. - Joseph Person, Charlotte Observer

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#d5fcd1vQcsbXKqPC.99

BlackAndGold
03-07-2016, 03:10 AM
He would be a nice fit but, I don't see him signing here.

Weddle signing with Carolina on a discount is a possibility. Reason: 1. contender 2. Ron Rivera, former Chargers DC.

I see Golden being brought back to start and they'll address the position via draft. And spend the money elsewhere, like on the O-line/D-line for depth.

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 06:18 AM
How many CB's do we have on our roster RIGHT now ? Sometimes us fans overthink most every thing going on behind the scenes.

BlackAndGold
03-07-2016, 06:36 AM
How many CB's do we have on our roster RIGHT now ? Sometimes us fans overthink most every thing going on behind the scenes.

CB's who are currently under contract: Allen(most likely will be cut), Cockrell, Golson, Grant, Isaiah Frey(PS player) & Al-Hajj Shabazz(who?)

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Sankezz and Grant stand out to me as capable cbs. Seems to me the team needs to develope players more quickly. Think i heard or read that point somewhere along the line . But i do agree with it .

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 07:42 AM
If you need someone to cook for you,you hire a cook or better yet a chef. If you need someone to defend passes then the decision is logical.If you can't afford a chef you have to go for the cook.

BlackAndGold
03-07-2016, 08:06 AM
@JasonLaCanfora (https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora)
The Steelers have reached agreement with safety Robert Golden on a 3yr/$5M deal

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/706841973294891008

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Golden is a pretty strong special teams presence.

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 08:23 AM
So they switch Golden to CB where he may sparkle,and move Antwon where he should be anyway.

Bluecoat96
03-07-2016, 08:23 AM

Seems like a pretty good deal. I figured we'd have to pay a lot more to keep Golden.

polamalubeast
03-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Rookie contracts are different. You're making the league minimum, so if you have an opportunity to get out of it early and sign a "grown-up" contract, there is zero upside to playing out your deal and testing the market.

If Brown waited a year to negotiate, what would he have gotten - $10 million a year? $12 million? Well, when you consider he'd give up about that much by finishing his rookie contract and playing another year or two for $500,000 ... you'd have to get a LOT bigger deal just to break even.

It's not about leverage, it's simple math. Even Boras would understand that.

Boras loves to take risks and wait for that the value of its players are as high as possible.Boras always does that.

If Brown would not accept the offer of the Steelers in 2012, Brown would have 2.7 million in 2013 on the RFA tender,in 2014, Brown would be in the franchise tag(13-14 millions) and in 2015,Brown would probably have been on the open market and he would have had at least 40-45 million guaranteed and at least 15 million per year.Possible that Brown would have had a similar contract to Calvin Johnson on the open market.

teegre
03-07-2016, 09:57 AM
the Panthers are a championship contender...

The Panthers have interest in Eric Weddle. - Joseph Person, Charlotte Observer

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#d5fcd1vQcsbXKqPC.99

Uh oh... :gulp:

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 09:58 AM
When you want to make a name for yourself you give it all. Then everyone will know .

teegre
03-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Ron Rivera, former Chargers DC.

Crap!!! I hadn't thought about that.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a very good signing: backup money, and Golden is a great special teamer.

Now... to sign Weddle.

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 10:07 AM
IF for real man,instead of all the couch talking people chiming in about our CB situation and not putting up any effort to look at the talent we already bought and paid for . I do get confounded sometimes .We have talent just begging to blossom.

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm like the only person on the planet that thinks Senquez can become a shut down corner. But just to pronounce the name correctly would go a long way to put a stomp on my raves. Why Grant was not in the mix who knows?So you just bought something yesterday,but today you need to buy the same thing? Where i come from you spend money one time for that item.I come from STEELER country and i believe !!!!!!!

steelreserve
03-07-2016, 11:10 AM
I see Golden being brought back to start and they'll address the position via draft. And spend the money elsewhere, like on the O-line/D-line for depth.

If they do something like that, I would not be surprised. I think it's an absolute MUST that we add an above-average player at either DL, CB or S before the draft, although which one is of less importance. Personally, I would've thought one of the DB positions was the way to go in free agency, since there are lots of good DL prospects in the draft and they tend to be able to contribute sooner. Not sure if there are any safety prospects that will be there and worth our R1 pick, but we've got an excellent shot at picking up a good player in R2.

Boras loves to take risks and wait for that the value of its players are as high as possible.Boras always does that.

If Brown would not accept the offer of the Steelers in 2012, Brown would have 2.7 million in 2013 on the RFA tender,in 2014, Brown would be in the franchise tag(13-14 millions) and in 2015,Brown would probably have been on the open market and he would have had at least 40-45 million guaranteed and at least 15 million per year.Possible that Brown would have had a similar contract to Calvin Johnson on the open market.

So basically, he'd have been leaving $15 million on the table (compared to his current contract, not a theoretical Johnson-type one) by playing a year on his rookie contract for peanuts, plus another under the RFA tag, also for peanuts. Even if he signed a 4-year, $60 million contract after that, he'd just barely be doing better than break-even, while having two fewer seasons left in his career. He'll get his big pay raise next offseason at the latest. It is very hard to work it so that he comes out ahead by playing two years for a total of just over $3 million before signing a deal.

cold-hard-steel
03-07-2016, 11:21 AM
So it does make sense . When fans ,media,even friends call for CB thats what we got to go after in this draft . I am a member that will come back and take my beating . I expose myself to pain almost every day. LOL they used to call me the thread ender !

Shoes
03-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Chargers Free Agent S Eric Weddle Believes He Has ‘Three To Five Years’ Left In Him

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) MARCH 7, 2016 AT 06:17 PM
Now that the legal free agent tampering period is underway around the NFL, speculation as to where San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle will wind up playing in 2016 is beginning to pick up even more. During his weekly MMQB post, Peter King recapped a recent talk he had with Weddle (http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/06/peyton-manning-retirement-tom-brady-nfl).
“I’ve got three to five years left in me,” Weddle said Saturday, according to King. “I want to go somewhere I have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Until last year I’ve never been injured. I’ve never had surgery. I don’t drink, I don’t go out. My shoulders, back, legs, hip, they’re all fine. I think I bring a lot to a team.”
Weddle, who turned 31 in January, apparently has given a lot of thought to the possibility of him signing with the New England Patriots.
“It would be funny if I ended up there,” Weddle told King of him possibly playing in New England next season. “We’ve played them so many times. The thing I like about them is they don’t have an ego. It’s insane to think about how good they’ve been. I’ve been to just one AFC championship game. They’ve been there every year. You respect it, you envy it, you admire it.”
If you are hoping Weddle signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers, King reports that the veteran safety spoke “longingly” of not only them, but the Oakland Raiders and Carolina Panthers as well as he also sees those teams as possible destinations for him very soon.
Now that the Kansas City Chiefs have placed the franchise tag on safety Eric Berry, Weddle figures to be the most sought after safety on the free agent market starting Wednesday evening. Because of that, several anticipate his value to be right around $8 million a season. If that turns out to be the case, one could easily speculate that Weddle would be too expensive for the Steelers.
Being as the Raiders have a ton of cap space to work with this offseason, one would think that they will make a serious push for Weddle.
The Steelers were able to shore-up their safety position some on Monday by re-signing Robert Goldento a three-year, $5 million contract (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-re-sign-s-robert-golden/). Golden, however, is not currently a lock to start alongside Mike Mitchell next season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/chargers-free-agent-s-eric-weddle-believes-he-has-three-to-five-years-left/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/eric-weddle-wants-to-play-3-5-years-for-a-contender/

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2016, 08:17 PM
fuck. thats a match made in heaven. Gipson, Thurmond anyone?

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2016, 09:43 PM
fuck. thats a match made in heaven. Gipson, Thurmond anyone?

I honestly think we'll just draft a safety early now instead of signing another safety in free agency.

there are a LOT of good safeties that should still be available to us in the first two rounds such as:

Karl Joseph, Keanu Neal, Darian Thompson, Su'a Cravens, Vonn Bell, Jeremy Cash, Jalen Mills and Justin Simmons.

teegre
03-08-2016, 01:49 PM
The re-signing of Golden changes little as far as Weddle and/or the draft is concerned. (IMO).

Mitchell, Golden, and then... there is really no one. Shamarko is the fifth option, behind Doran Grant.

Golden is a GREAT signing. He is a valuable backup, and even more important for special teams. You need guys like him (and DHB) in order to win championships. Bill Parcells believed that the difference between playoff teams and championship teams resided in players 23-53 on your roster (the backups and special teamers). Again, Golden was a GREAT singing. BUT... he is only a backup.

Sign Weddle.
Move Mitchell to SS.
Golden backs up both of them, while Grant learns the position.

86WARD
03-08-2016, 02:39 PM
The re-signing of Golden changes little as far as Weddle and/or the draft is concerned. (IMO).

Mitchell, Golden, and then... there is really no one. Shamarko is the fifth option, behind Doran Grant.

Golden is a GREAT signing. He is a valuable backup, and even more important for special teams. You need guys like him (and DHB) in order to win championships. Bill Parcells believed that the difference between playoff teams and championship teams resided in players 23-53 on your roster (the backups and special teamers). Again, Golden was a GREAT singing. BUT... he is only a backup.

Sign Weddle.
Move Mitchell to SS.
Golden backs up both of them, while Grant learns the position.

Agree with all...

teegre
03-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Weddle just starting following BB on Twitter!!!!!!!

polamalubeast
03-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Haha!

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2016, 03:46 PM

its probably going to let me down but im all aboard this hype train just in case :lol:

Shoes
03-08-2016, 04:56 PM

:thumbsup:

teegre
03-08-2016, 09:31 PM
its probably going to let me down but im all aboard this hype train just in case :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7c

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 12:01 AM

As in, Big Ben?

teegre
03-09-2016, 12:17 AM
As in, Big Ben?

Indeed :crossed:

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 12:47 AM
Indeed :crossed:

Seen he has been tweeting with Ryan Clark also. Still think he gets an offer from another team but, he seems very interested.

teegre
03-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Seen he has been tweeting with Ryan Clark also. Still think he gets an offer from another team but, he seems very interested.

If they get him in the building, I'll make the call: it's a done deal.

I remember a few free agents have stated that they weren't sure about signing with the Steelers or signing with Team X... but, seeing those six Lombardis broke the tie.

tube517
03-09-2016, 03:38 PM
http://steelcityblitz.com/2016/03/09/strong-indications-of-the-steelers-signing-eric-weddle/

Pure speculation. We shall see

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Shoes
03-09-2016, 03:54 PM
http://steelcityblitz.com/2016/03/09/strong-indications-of-the-steelers-signing-eric-weddle/

Im going to get the shits if this doesn't happen!

tube517
03-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Im going to get the shits if this doesn't happen!

Well, if the poker hand and 007 moves don't work, get the toilet paper now. :chuckle:

salamander
03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Intriguing......... :chuckle:

Rotorhead
03-09-2016, 05:34 PM
I think those Lombardi's are alluring to Weddle, and the Steelers being one of the top teams projected to get a ring may be enough to get Weddle's attention. Lets hope, as I feel after all they have done to this point, will put them over the top.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 05:47 PM
someone needs to tell Lardarius Green to text Weddle a pic of our 6 lombardi's (assuming he really did sign with us)

salamander
03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
someone needs to tell Lardarius Green to text Weddle a pic of our 6 lombardi's (assuming he really did sign with us)

I was going to ask if there's been any official word on Green yet.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 05:52 PM

you guys are going to make me pass out on the hype train if you keep posting this stuff :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Black Uncle Sam@DaddyRichieRich

@AKinkhabwala anything new about the Steelers & Eric Weddle?

Aditi Kinkhabwala@AKinkhabwala

Member of organization tells me they like him, but he's too expensive right now. Hoping price falls.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AKinkhabwala?p=s

salamander
03-09-2016, 06:22 PM

Member of organization tells me they like him, but he's too expensive right now. Hoping price falls.

Ugh.... although I can't say I'm surprised...

tube517
03-09-2016, 06:32 PM
you guys are going to make me pass out on the hype train if you keep posting this stuff :lol:

My bad :chuckle:

Not the best source, IMHO.

86WARD
03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Locking up Green and then getting Weddle would be nice. If they found a way to get Green and Sean Smith, they wouldn't need a draft...lol. Trade the whole thing for picks in 2017...

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Browns safety Tashaun Gipson just signed a 5 year, $35.5 million deal with the Jaguars to give you an idea where the market for safeties is...

86WARD
03-09-2016, 06:51 PM
I'd pay something similar to that for Weddle. Maybe shorter terms...

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Browns safety Tashaun Gipson just signed a 5 year, $35.5 million deal with the Jaguars to give you an idea where the market for safeties is...

the jaguars also have the most cap space in nfl HISTORY. so i would anticipate that they overpay for most of their guys and not even have to feel the consequences for a long time. Gipson's deal definitely surprises me a bit. I also hope we can get Weddle for a similiar price on a millions/year basis, probably just north of that.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Tony Jefferson might be the guy we end up with and I would be perfectly fine with that ... ballskills !!

teegre
03-09-2016, 09:49 PM

Yeah!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Boo!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd pay something similar to that for Weddle. Maybe shorter terms...

Yep.

The figure has always been around $7-$7.5 million... which is what Gipson got.

katmandu
03-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Browns safety Tashaun Gipson just signed a 5 year, $35.5 million deal with the Jaguars to give you an idea where the market for safeties is...How much does being on a team that is a nose hair away from another Lombardi worth ?

Hmmm ??

teegre
03-09-2016, 10:11 PM
How much does being on a team that is a nose hair away from another Lombardi worth ?

Hmmm ??

That WILL be the deciding factor.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 10:12 PM
if the Weddle thing doesnt work out, I think some people might be interested to know that the Eagles just signed S Rodney Mcleod from the Rams to a huge deal. They already have Malcolm Jenkins on a big contract for the other safety spot. The eagles didnt offer Walter Thurmond anything even though he was part of arguably the best safety tandem in the league, so he's definitely fair game now

teegre
03-09-2016, 10:20 PM
if the Weddle thing doesnt work out, I think some people might be interested to know that the Eagles just signed S Rodney Mcleod from the Rams to a huge deal. They already have Malcolm Jenkins on a big contract for the other safety spot. The eagles didnt offer Walter Thurmond anything even though he was part of arguably the best safety tandem in the league, so he's definitely fair game now

Not that I'm giving up hope, but there is also...

Su'a Cravens
Karl Joseph
Keanu Neal
Vonn Bell
Darian Thompson
Miles Killebrew
Jeremy Cash
KJ Dillon
Jaylon Mills

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Not that I'm giving up hope, but there is also...

Su'a Cravens
Karl Joseph
Keanu Neal
Vonn Bell
Darian Thompson
Miles Killebrew
Jeremy Cash
KJ Dillon
Jaylon Mills

yeah not gonna lie, the "win now before Ben dies" mentality in me is starting to get to me at times. I love Miles Killebrew and Karl Joseph probably a little too much

teegre
03-09-2016, 10:31 PM
yeah not gonna lie, the "win now before Ben dies" mentality in me is starting to get to me at times. I love Miles Killebrew and Karl Joseph probably a little too much

Killebrew is a thumper. The problem is that he's a liability in coverage, which would be fine if Ryan Clark or Darren Perry was playing FS. With Mike Mitchell at FS, I'd prefer a guy who's better in coverage... which is a shame.

Joseph is as hard of a hitter, but he can also cover. He's more of what the Steelers need. Plus, because he was in WVU's 3-3-5 defense, he can play FS, SS, ILB, & CB.

Likewise, Cravens is the type of player can play FS, SS, ILB, & CB.

polamalubeast
03-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Cam Hayward just followed Eric weddle.......

teegre
03-10-2016, 09:31 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&amp;persist_app=1&amp;v=WCOfsbeP_VA

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2016, 09:36 AM

someone tweet these guys and ask about Weddle already

salamander
03-10-2016, 11:21 AM
"Well.....we're waiting."

:chuckle:

Mojouw
03-10-2016, 11:32 AM
"Well.....we're waiting."

Might be a long wait. I think they will have to free up cap space before they can sign Weddle.

So that means restructures have to get worked out, signed, and filed with the league to get the cap space needed for Weddle.

That might take a few days.

Rotorhead
03-10-2016, 11:48 AM
we should have around 11mil now with the increase (I just read prior to the increase we were around 2.5mil in space). A couple restructures and finishing with C Allen (either 6/1 designation or paycut) gives us 7-8 mil a year for Weddle and money to sign the drafts. What are they waiting for? Is NE trying to get him too?

Mojouw
03-10-2016, 12:33 PM
we should have around 11mil now with the increase (I just read prior to the increase we were around 2.5mil in space). A couple restructures and finishing with C Allen (either 6/1 designation or paycut) gives us 7-8 mil a year for Weddle and money to sign the drafts. What are they waiting for? Is NE trying to get him too?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/updated-steelers-2016-salary-cap-status-ahead-of-new-league-year/

Currently the team is about 2 million under the cap. If Weddle takes 6-8, the rookie class takes another 4, plus 2-3 million for in season moves - that means they have to free up around 10-12 million bucks before they can really sign anyone else.

SteelMember
03-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Not to take the shine off Weddle... don't think it's in our budget, but what do you think about a SS like William Moore in a backup role?

Dwinsgames
03-10-2016, 01:28 PM
last thing we need is a heavy investment on a player on the downside of his career .

that downside may not have yet reared its ugly head but at his age you just KNOW it is coming and coming soon , we witnessed this already with Clark and Troy , we seen it with Allen as well ( to a lessor degree )

Last year injury hit Weddle but even prior to that point it was his least productive year since his rookie year , that to me is the start of a trend you do not want to see in a long time veteran player .

Yes he would probably still be an upgrade but for how long and at what cost ?

I pray this signing does NOT happen as we are just now getting out of Cap Hell , last thing we need is a big contract luring a player here that will not be around to see the end of it leaving more dead money on the books

polamalubeast
03-10-2016, 01:52 PM
I saw someone on twitter who heard that Weddle is Deciding Between the Steelers and Raiders....

I do not know if that's true, but we'll see.....

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2016, 02:49 PM
S Tony Jefferson on the Cardinals is another option. He seems pretty open to us, replied to a steelers fan with : "we'll see ! Gotta get Tomlin and front office on board .. I can't just show up with my cleats"

The cardinals just signed S Tyvon Branch and obviously they have the Honey Badger. Plus Deone Buchanon as kind of a fringe LB/S, so Jefferson seems like fair game

BlackAndGold
03-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Seems like Weddle will be going to Oakland

SteelerFanInStl
03-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Not to take the shine off Weddle... don't think it's in our budget, but what do you think about a SS like William Moore in a backup role?
Moore isn't a backup, especially in our secondary. He's a very good player but he can't seem to stay healthy. He'd be a good signing at the right price.

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Seems like Weddle will be going to Oakland

Chet Crooks ‏@Crooks2012

@Steelersdepot also FWIW a bunch of Raiders players just followed Weddle, on Twitter.. Same thing happened right before Smith Signing.

Shoes
03-10-2016, 03:25 PM
I could see him going to Oakland simply because he'll be nearer his family. After all he has on his Twitter page "Family First"

tube517
03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Chet Crooks ‏@Crooks2012

@Steelersdepot also FWIW a bunch of Raiders players just followed Weddle, on Twitter.. Same thing happened right before Smith Signing.

Bruce Irvin wants Weddle to go to Oakland. Weddle says "We shall see"

teegre
03-10-2016, 05:41 PM
No!!!! Not the Raidahs!!!

Come on, Ben... text him some funny cat memes.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2016, 05:44 PM
S Tony Jefferson on the Cardinals is another option. He seems pretty open to us, replied to a steelers fan with : "we'll see ! Gotta get Tomlin and front office on board .. I can't just show up with my cleats"

The cardinals just signed S Tyvon Branch and obviously they have the Honey Badger. Plus Deone Buchanon as kind of a fringe LB/S, so Jefferson seems like fair game

that would be my choice , a younger player with ball skills and probably less money too

polamalubeast
03-10-2016, 05:46 PM
I would like Weddle sign with the Steelers, but I would be surprised.

But this is not the end of the world!

Dwinsgames
03-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Sean Smith and Eric Weddle have the same agent in David Canter. I would not be surprised to see him call and talk to Weddle

teegre
03-10-2016, 07:00 PM
I would like Weddle sign with the Steelers, but I would be surprised.

But this is not the end of the world!

I'd love it... but, if there were a year to draft a safety, this is the year.

86WARD
03-10-2016, 07:08 PM
I saw someone on twitter who heard that Weddle is Deciding Between the Steelers and Raiders....

I do not know if that's true, but we'll see.....

Chance at a Super Bowl or chance at not winning a Super Bowl...decisions, decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

Sean Smith and Eric Weddle have the same agent in David Canter. I would not be surprised to see him call and talk to Weddle

If the Steelers signed Sean Smith...forget about it. I don't care if they fucked up the draft royally (excuse my language), I'd be happy. The Raiders signed SMith to a $40M deal...so maybe they won't have money for Weddle?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love it... but, if there were a year to draft a safety, this is the year.

That's why they will go OLB in Round 1. ;)

polamalubeast
03-10-2016, 08:10 PM

salamander
03-10-2016, 08:25 PM

While I definitely respect that, I don't want the Steelers to base any of their decisions on waiting for Weddle to make up his mind.

teegre
03-10-2016, 08:28 PM

Here's how I read that:

"Weddle is waiting patiently for the Steelers to clear enough cap space to sign him."

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Here's how I read that:

"Weddle is waiting patiently for the Steelers to clear enough cap space to sign him."

while he waits for the Steelers and Raiders to raise their offers and the Steelers wait for Weddle to lower his asking price...

https://roosterillusionreviews.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1.jpg

teegre
03-11-2016, 01:22 AM
while he waits for the Steelers and Raiders to raise their offers and the Steelers wait for Weddle to lower his asking price...

https://roosterillusionreviews.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1.jpg

Hey, Beardie... is not so funny when it's your neck at the end of that rope...

steelreserve
03-11-2016, 04:17 AM
What I want to know is, why the fuck haven't they signed this guy at 4 in the morning and announced it along with a bunch of renegotiated contracts, and then watch all the first-tweeter ace reporters grousing around half-asleep trying to make sense of it. That would be a great show. Maybe they're just waiting for Friday night so they can do it at 4 in the morning when everybody is hammered.

teegre
03-11-2016, 07:04 AM
The Raidahs already have cap space; so, if Weddle truly wanted to sign there, it'd already be a done deal.

IMO, he is waiting... for the Steelers (to clear cap space).

86WARD
03-11-2016, 07:15 AM
The Raidahs already have cap space; so, if Weddle truly wanted to sign there, it'd already be a done deal.

Good thought. The other thing about Oakland is, that although they have cap space, they are strapped financially. If they don't have the real money to pay the bonuses, they can have all the cap space in the world and they still can't sign a player. They were financially in trouble before free agency and they just shelled out for three nice players...they may not have the cash on hand to do Weddle...even though they have plenty of cap space.

Shoes
03-11-2016, 07:24 AM

I hope this is the case, lets get this done!

SteelerFanInStl
03-11-2016, 07:46 AM
The Raiders are now focused on signing Weddle. He's their top priority.

Rotorhead
03-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Well if the Raiders are his choice, he obviously doesnt care about a ring before he retires . . .

Born2Steel
03-11-2016, 10:19 AM
The Raiders are not that far from being really good. Steelers are much closer to a ring, true, but the old rivalry could start heating back up soon. Who gets him could make a difference.

hawaiiansteeler
03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Well if the Raiders are his choice, he obviously doesnt care about a ring before he retires . . .

the Steelers can offer Weddle a better chance at a Super Bowl ring.

but the Raiders can offer Weddle more money, an opportunity to play closer to home and the chance to stick it to his old team twice a season...

Born2Steel
03-11-2016, 10:34 AM
the Steelers can offer Weddle a better chance at a Super Bowl ring.

but the Raiders can offer Weddle more money, an opportunity to play closer to home and the chance to stick it to his old team twice a season...

Damn man! Stop giving them the ammunition. This is something we want. :crossed:

teegre
03-11-2016, 06:10 PM
the chance to stick it to his old team twice a season...

That is the only reason that has me worried.

teegre
03-11-2016, 06:26 PM
So...
The local San Diego sports-talk radio talking-heads are making fun of Eric Weddle, because "no one is signing him".

Talk about naive journalism.

Shoes
03-11-2016, 06:37 PM
So...
The local San Diego sports-talk radio talking-heads are making fun of Eric Weddle, because "no one is signing him".

Talk about naive journalism.

All the more reason to come to Pittsburgh, we'll see who has the last laugh.

That is the only reason that has me worried.

But he wants a SB and that would be even sweeter!

teegre
03-11-2016, 06:43 PM
All the more reason to come to Pittsburgh, we'll see who has the last laugh.

But he wants a SB and that would be even sweeter!

True... and, truer.

(They're playing a montage of voicemails left by Bolts fans ripping on Weddle. WTF!?!)

Shoes
03-11-2016, 06:46 PM
True... and, truer.

(They're playing a montage of voicemails left by Bolts fans ripping on Weddle. WTF!?!)

Do they have fan's, seemed to me there were more Steeler Fans at the last game in SD.

teegre
03-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Do they have fan's, seemed to me there were more Steeler Fans at the last game in SD.

No kidding.

Interestingly, after that montage, the radio guys talked about how Ladarius Green was convinced to become a Steeler during that very game. Green couldn't believe how loud "actual" fans could be...

Shoes
03-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Chargers Free Agent S Eric Weddle Unlikely To Make Decision Until Monday

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and Dallas Cowboysare three teams keeping close tabs on Weddle. One would also speculate that the Oakland Raiders are still pursuing Weddle as well.
The fact that Weddle will supposedly narrow his choices down to two teams and then negotiate his best deal from there makes it hard to believe that the Steelers will have a legitimate chance at signing him. The Steelers certainly won’t overpay for Weddle and the fact that he’s on the wrong side of 30 is yet another reason to think he won’t ultimately land in Pittsburgh.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/chargers-free-agent-s-eric-weddle-unlikely-to-make-decision-until-monday/

Steelman
03-11-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure why Weddle waiting til Monday would hinder our chances? To me that spells he's looking for fit not money. Otherwise he would have signed with Oakland, who has plenty of cash to spare. The FO obviously doesn't want to overpay (wholeheartedly agree!) but I believe Weddle genuinely wants to play here.

Personally, I've said from the beginning that though he's a great player, I think he's on the wrong side of his career spectrum for the Steelers to want to bring him in. But I also can't deny that even if he was a two-year rental, he'd be damn sure better than Will Allen.

salamander
03-11-2016, 09:35 PM
I swear to God if he signs with Baltimore I'd freak the f*ck out.... lol

86WARD
03-11-2016, 09:39 PM
That would blow.

Shoes
03-11-2016, 10:14 PM

If he is evaluating cities, schools, rosters and money you can scratch the rats and if you throw in the chance of a SB the Steelers top that list. I could see him taking the Steelers if the only minus was the money.

86WARD
03-12-2016, 07:18 AM
If he is evaluating cities, schools, rosters and money you can scratch the rats and if you throw in the chance of a SB the Steelers top that list. I could see him taking the Steelers if the only minus was the money.

The Raiders are contenders. They're probably the AFC West Champions next season.

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 07:23 AM
It'll be the steelers or the raiders I think..... Probably the raiders ...

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 07:47 AM
It'll be the steelers or the raiders I think..... Probably the raiders ...

If he's evaluating cities and schools, I don't know how he'd ever pick Oakland. I lived in the SF Bay Area for 17 years and even worked in Oakland for a while. The city and schools are crap.

I'd also think that team roster and chance for a Super Bowl would eliminate the Ravens.

The Steelers have the best of what he's looking for. We'll see what happens.

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 08:17 AM
My only concern with Weddle is he has 31 years old and at this age, Polamalu and Ed Reed was beginning to be on the decline.Also, his last season was not very good.

This is my only concern.

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 08:42 AM
My only concern with Weddle is he has 31 years old and at this age, Polamalu and Ed Reed was beginning to be on the decline.Also, his last season was not very good.

This is my only concern.

I have the same concern because of his age but there were a lot of factors involved last season. Weddle is the type of player who will be revitalized this season on a new team and I expect him to have a couple of very good seasons left in him.

I'll be happy if we can sign him but if we don't, I'll be more than happy with Walter Thurmund or Rashaud Johnson or just waiting for the draft.

Dwinsgames
03-12-2016, 09:15 AM
nflnetwork reporting 4 teams have made offers ..will narrow to 2 teams over weekend ...

I hope a few teams backed up the brinks truck for his services ..

ALLD
03-12-2016, 10:33 AM
I would bet he stays on the west coast. Tomlin needs to take a road trip to CA and convince him to take a 3-yr contract in the Burg if he has any hopes of winning a SB in his career.

Mojouw
03-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Likely that Weddle is willing to take less to win and be appreciated after how things went down with the chargers. Likely his agents are pushing him towards the highest raw dollar offer so they get their commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
03-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Likely that Weddle is willing to take less to win and be appreciated after how things went down with the chargers. Likely his agents are pushing him towards the highest raw dollar offer so they get their commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I'm seeing it.

teegre
03-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Which brings us back to the original post: me crying in the shower.

Yes, Weddle to Baltimore would in fact be worse, because I'd see him wearing purple twice per season. :puke:

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Which brings us back to the original post: me crying in the shower.

Yes, Weddle to Baltimore would in fact be worse, because I'd see him wearing purple twice per season. :puke:

if Weddle is evaluating cities and schools and factoring that into his final decision then he won't be going to Baltimore...

https://d2x3wmakafwqf5.cloudfront.net/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/114/files/2015/04/baltimore.jpg

teegre
03-12-2016, 02:08 PM
if Weddle is evaluating cities and schools and factoring that into his final decision then he won't be going to Baltimore...

https://d2x3wmakafwqf5.cloudfront.net/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/114/files/2015/04/baltimore.jpg

Nor Oakland.

polamalubeast
03-12-2016, 02:10 PM

Shoes
03-12-2016, 02:15 PM

Sounds good for the Steelers!

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Sounds good for the Steelers!

Yea, that's good news. If all teams are offering the same money, I don't see how he could pick any other team.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Are the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Eric Weddle sweepstakes?

By Jeff.Hartman on Mar 12, 2016

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/17JZSjQxPul9eurd45y5WhtTCt0=/0x34:3078x2086/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49060539/GettyImages-496450454.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been rumored to be showing interest in free agent safety Eric Weddle, but is Weddle to Pittsburgh a realistic option?

I have to be honest, I have avoided this article for as long as humanly possible. Despite the myriad of tweets, Facebook comments and emails from fans asking about the topic, I avoided it like the plague. The Pittsburgh Steelers fan base seems to be rabid with their interest in the team possibly bringing in Free Agent safety Eric Weddle from the San Diego Chargers.

The main reason I have avoided this topic to date is simple, there was no evidence of the Steelers showing interest in the acquisition. No sources, no beat writers and no experts were tipping their hand of Pittsburgh being a potential suitor for the veteran safety.

Fans, on the other hand, were the ones who constantly requested the team bring in the 31-year-old safety assuming he would be "the answer" to the team's woes in the back end of the defense. Well, for all those fans who have been waiting for a "Weddle to the Steelers" rumor, you finally got your wish.

Per Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, the Steelers could be one of the four teams reportedly interested in bringing in Weddle for the 2016 season. Weddle supposedly wants to go to a contender, check the Steelers off there, and the next issue then becomes financial terms of the deal. Yeah, you know the one thing the Steelers don't have a lot of -- money.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/3/12/11211544/are-the-pittsburgh-steelers-in-the-eric-weddle-sweepstakes

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Only $5M is the going rate? Go out and make this happen!

$5M and a handjob. Done.

teegre
03-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Only $5M is the going rate? Go out and make this happen!

$5M and a handjob. Done.

That was... AWESOME!!!

(This is why I read your posts.)

steelreserve
03-12-2016, 04:27 PM
I hear most people read my posts for the handjobs.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2016, 06:15 PM
I hear most people read my posts for the handjobs.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/44163134.jpg

Shoes
03-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Are Steelers a mystery team in market for Eric Weddle?

Eric Weddle (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10481/eric-weddle) is a dynamite fit for the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers)' defense. Just ask (https://twitter.com/MarcusGilbert88/status/708480513313406976) right tackle Marcus Gilbert (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13998/marcus-gilbert).
The problem would be money. Weddle can command a lot of it, and the Steelers are less inclined than most to spend on free agency. They align more with the Patriots, Packers and others -- build through the draft, use free agency for extra toppings on the shake. The Steelers are frugal spenders outside of their own players. Giving new tight end Ladarius Green (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14904/ladarius-green) $4.75 million in signing bonus money isn't a common thing for them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/199896/are-steelers-a-mystery-team-in-market-for-eric-weddle

pczach
03-13-2016, 08:19 AM
If Weddle really wants a chance to win championships he will consider this: In 13 of the last 15 years, the quarterbacks of the teams representing the AFC in the Super Bowl have been Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlisberger.

If he's really serious about winning and he's looking for a deciding factor, there is nothing else he needs to see.

tube517
03-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Are Steelers a mystery team in market for Eric Weddle?

Eric Weddle (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10481/eric-weddle) is a dynamite fit for the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers)' defense. Just ask (https://twitter.com/MarcusGilbert88/status/708480513313406976) right tackle Marcus Gilbert (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13998/marcus-gilbert).
The problem would be money. Weddle can command a lot of it, and the Steelers are less inclined than most to spend on free agency. They align more with the Patriots, Packers and others -- build through the draft, use free agency for extra toppings on the shake. The Steelers are frugal spenders outside of their own players. Giving new tight end Ladarius Green (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14904/ladarius-green) $4.75 million in signing bonus money isn't a common thing for them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/199896/are-steelers-a-mystery-team-in-market-for-eric-weddle

For the wrtier of this article: How can the Steelers be "frugal" if they are at the damn cap limit every single year? Laughable "journalism"

teegre
03-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlisberger

Peyton is retired... which only leaves two.

The "other" option is what truly scares me. I'm afraid of a repeat of 2003... although, the second-coming of Troy would be a nice consolation prize.

pczach
03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Peyton is retired... which only leaves two.

The "other" option is what truly scares me. I'm afraid of a repeat of 2003... although, the second-coming of Troy would be a nice consolation prize.

I posted that because I get tired of people saying they want to go to a team where they can win and are competing for championships.

When you lay it out the way I did, it becomes obvious what is necessary to win in this league and who is doing it better than everybody else.

You're right, Manning is now gone. Brady is still great but he'll be 39 on August 3 of this year.

If Weddle wants to play 3-4 more years for an organization with a history of winning championships and is good enough to win one right now, with a great quarterback still in his prime with 3-4 great years left in him, with a great offense that can run and pass in a league where the rules favor great offensive play, with a young, improving, athletic defense that he will make better when he walks on the field.......there is only one place he can go if both sides want it to happen.

If all of the above is true, he'll land in Pittsburgh. If either the Steelers or Weddle feel differently, he'll end up somewhere else.

I truly believe it's that simple.

teegre
03-13-2016, 05:47 PM
I posted that because I get tired of people saying they want to go to a team where they can win and are competing for championships.

When you lay it out the way I did, it becomes obvious what is necessary to win in this league and who is doing it better than everybody else.

You're right, Manning is now gone. Brady is still great but he'll be 39 on August 3 of this year.

If Weddle wants to play 3-4 more years for an organization with a history of winning championships and is good enough to win one right now, with a great quarterback still in his prime with 3-4 great years left in him, with a great offense that can run and pass in a league where the rules favor great offensive play, with a young, improving, athletic defense that he will make better when he walks on the field.......there is only one place he can go if both sides want it to happen.

If all of the above is true, he'll land in Pittsburgh. If either the Steelers or Weddle feel differently, he'll end up somewhere else.

I truly believe it's that simple.

I'll forward this post to Weddle...

pczach
03-13-2016, 07:41 PM
I'll forward this post to Weddle...

Use the Bat Phone!

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96vvxHq1X1ro8ysbo1_400.gif

Shoes
03-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Use the Bat Phone!

teegre
03-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Use the Bat Phone!

:rofl2:

For a moment there, I thought it was the OSFMA.

pczach
03-14-2016, 03:03 AM
:rofl2:

For a moment there, I thought it was the OSFMA.

We haven't used that one in a while! :sofunny:

I'll get it polished up and ready to go for when it is truly needed. Does this mean there is now an OSUMA at this message board? :bananadoggywow:

Shoes
03-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Rats are going to get him

Ravens To Sign Eric Weddle
https://www.profootballrumors.com/ravens-to-sign-eric-weddle/

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Is he supposed to make his decision today? Anyone know an approximate time to expect that decision. You know, so we can celebrate, or just move on.

Shoes
03-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Rats got him as posted above

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Well damn them!

tube517
03-14-2016, 12:45 PM

Steelman
03-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Well that sucks. But I guess I'd rather see him play there than in New England.

tube517
03-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Well that sucks. But I guess I'd rather see him play there than in New England.

I'd rather see him in Oakland

Rotorhead
03-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Lolley just reported a contract for Weddle, but failed to mention who . . . . 29 Mil with 9mil this season . . . anyone seen or read anything else?

Nevermind, the moron signed with the Ravens, so apparently he doesnt care about getting a ring . . .

teegre
03-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Nooooo!!!!!!!

Breaking news:
Just this morning, it was discovered that Eric Weddle enjoys killing puppies.

hawaiiansteeler
03-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Dale Lolley ‎@dlolleyor

I might add that the Ravens stunk last season and Eric Weddle isn't changing that. It certainly wasn't about winning for him.

7:41 AM - 14 Mar 2016

or that city's school system for his kids.

as usual, it was all about the $$$...

Shoes
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Lolley just reported a contract for Weddle, but failed to mention who . . . . 29 Mil with 9mil this season . . . anyone seen or read anything else?

Nevermind, the moron signed with the Ravens, so apparently he doesnt care about getting a ring . . .

I like him but I wouldn't have paid that kind of money if true. Well he'll get his money but no SB

teegre
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Does this mean there is now an OSUMA at this message board? :bananadoggywow:

Yes.
It usually involves hippo farts, poker games, and cool shades.

hawaiiansteeler
03-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Nooooo!!!!!!!

Breaking news:
Just this morning, it was discovered that Eric Weddle enjoys killing puppies.

and something about him and Prisco with horses...:wtf:

teegre
03-14-2016, 01:09 PM
and something about him and Prisco with horses...:wtf:

:lol:

I was feeling down in the dumps.... and THAT made me feel 100 times better.

Truly... thank you.

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2016, 01:09 PM
or that city's school system for his kids.

as usual, it was all about the $$$...

Yea, pretty much everything that was said was complete BS. Enjoy the shit city, schools and team Weddle!

st33lersguy
03-14-2016, 01:12 PM
6.5 million a year for 4 years was too pricey especially with how cap strapped they were

pczach
03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
So much for being all about winning.

If he didn't say anything about it and just took the money nobody would care.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlms9z_fIsRTdQTHpjQbbRnMsZ-MNhxRFMWdTCmRKyOLwOfzjo

Shoes
03-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Steelers never made a formal offer?

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) MARCH 14, 2016 AT 12:41 PM
It appears as though veteran free agent safety Eric Weddle will play in the AFC North in 2016 but not for the Pittsburgh Steelers as Adam Schefter is now reporting on Twitter that he is signing with the Baltimore Ravens.
According to Schefter, Weddle will sign a four-year, $26 million contract with the Ravens and that deal includes $13 million in first two years. Weddle has since confirmed his signing on Twitter. Other reports state that the deal totals out at $29 million.
The Steelers were rumored to be one of a handful of teams that was interested in signing Weddle, who has spent his entire NFL career with the San Diego Chargers. With that said, there never were any reports that Weddle came to Pittsburgh for a visit. According to Jason La Canfora, the Steelers never made a formal offer on Weddle and they monitoring his market over weekend.
According to Kevin Accee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders were two of the other teams besides the Steelers and the Ravens (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/14/weddle-chargers-agrees-new-team/) who were interested in signing Weddle.
“I couldn’t be more excited and pumped to be a part of a championship organization who wanted me from Day One,” Weddle reportedly said via text to Accee.
The Ravens sorely needed a veteran safety and it appears as though they have found one in Weddle, who turned 31 in January.
It was reported on Friday that Weddle would more than likely make a decision on Monday after reviewing all of his options. Last season he recorded 78 total tackles but did miss 3 games due a groin injury. Those missed games were Weddle’s first since the 2009 season.
The Ravens signing of Weddle now means that the Steelers will face the veteran safety at least twice a season for the foreseeable future.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-ravens-sign-veteran-s-eric-weddle-on-monday/

tube517
03-14-2016, 02:05 PM
I think his (Weddle) mind was already made up last week and Ladarius Green hinted at it to Kaboly:

Old news now.

Shoes
03-14-2016, 02:11 PM
“I couldn’t be more excited and pumped to be a part of a championship organization who wanted me from Day One,” Weddle reportedly said via text to Accee.

Good luck with that Eric!

steelreserve
03-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Obviously he'll be sending his kids to private school, but have fun living in a shitty gravel town.

About now is when I'd be giving Dashon Goldson a call. He's still a free agent. Seems like our only other move is going to be a so-so offensive tackle, though.

Dwinsgames
03-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Obviously he'll be sending his kids to private school, but have fun living in a shitty gravel town.

About now is when I'd be giving Dashon Goldson a call. He's still a free agent. Seems like our only other move is going to be a so-so offensive tackle, though.

Tony Jefferson

86WARD
03-14-2016, 05:13 PM
He's old and crusty anyway...lol.

katmandu
03-14-2016, 06:55 PM
So much for being all about winning.

If he didn't say anything about it and just took the money nobody would care.

Just another shallow Professional athlete.

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 07:10 PM
This is really kinda funny. If we had paid him that much to sign, how many would be saying it's about time our FO opened the checkbook? Is safety really even a need in Baltimore? Didn't they just spend a high draft pick on Reed's replacement?

hawaiiansteeler
03-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Is safety really even a need in Baltimore?

In 2015, neither of the Ravens starters at safety (Will Hill and Kendrick Lewis) ranked inside PFF's top 20 at their position. Lewis ranked outside the top 70. Both allowed a passer rating against of over 100 to opposing quarterbacks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2624696-eric-weddles-big-free-agent-deal-necessary-gamble-for-leaky-ravens-secondary

Born2Steel
03-14-2016, 07:49 PM
From the same article..."After ranking 10th in that regard in 2014, the Ravens dropped all the way to 23rd last season. The team gave up huge games to star receivers left and right."

One of those no pass rush = WRs getting open no matter who's in coverage. Ravens had a terrible year with the injury bug last season, especially on defense. I just didn't see their secondary as a big issue. They signed Weddle, so maybe a potential starter gets waived?

salamander
03-14-2016, 08:22 PM

Commence freaking the f*ck out. :chuckle:

Method28
03-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Well this definitely blows a big fat one.

Way too pricey though.

86WARD
03-14-2016, 09:44 PM
The Ravens DBs were all around terrible...any addition is a plus. They are still looking to,add,free,agents to it.

Drazo85
03-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Is Tiger well?

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Ravens sign S Eric Weddle (4 years, $26M; $13M guaranteed): B Grade

The Ravens were/are desperate for defensive back help, and they really wanted to draft Jalen Ramsey with the sixth-overall pick. However, that's looking extremely unlikely now, as Jalen Ramsey is now the favorite to be the Titans No. 1 pick. Thus, Baltimore had to make a move in free agency.

Eric Weddle was the top free agent available as of this signing, and the Ravens aren't paying him an egregious amount, so this should be an automatic "B" or higher. I'm going to stick with that exact grade, as this might be a slight overpay based on past production. Weddle has been a great safety for years, but declined a bit in 2015. Is that a sign of things to come? Weddle is 31, after all.

Even still, Weddle will be a big upgrade over what Baltimore had at safety last season, and he'll be a great leader on and off the field. Besides, Weddle is talented enough to rebound, so I think he can enjoy about two more Pro Bowl-caliber years.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ck5frfuHvk233vUe.99

teegre
03-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Is Tiger well?

I'm doing fine... Charles De Mar talked me down off of the ledge. :lol:

(Really though, thanks for asking.)

I've been way to busy to let it really sink in, but my phone blew up on Monday. I mean: everyone was texting me condolences. It was kind of awesome... My brother, who doesn't text more than two words, sent me a nice little "cheer up" text. It had an emoticon and everything. LOL

My current mindset:
Karl Joseph... come on down!!!

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2016, 02:56 PM
My current mindset:
Karl Joseph... come on down!!!

here you go, this will cheer you up: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOG00WUbkg

teegre
03-15-2016, 10:38 PM
here you go, this will cheer you up: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOG00WUbkg

I've seen most of those games live (both of my parents are WVU alums). The thing that stuck out was that I would just wait for Karl Joseph to make a play. He's not Troy (no one will ever be), but it's that same sort of feeling: you just know that when it's clutch time, #8 will come through.

Karl Joseph... or, Jarran Reed (DE/DT)???

Choices, choices.

Texasteel
03-16-2016, 07:59 AM
I've seen most of those games live (both of my parents are WVU alums). The thing that stuck out was that I would just wait for Karl Joseph to make a play. He's not Troy (no one will ever be), but it's that same sort of feeling: you just know that when it's clutch time, #8 will come through.

Choices, choices.

You think he has worked his way back into the 1st round? I'm starting to get a feeling that he may not be there when we draft in the 2nd. Just a feeling right now.

Hawkman
03-16-2016, 11:37 AM

Good luck with that Eric!

Wait til Coates starts burning his ass. That will be good times.

Born2Steel
03-16-2016, 11:39 AM

Choices, choices.

What's your overall feeling on KJ Dillon? I haven't seen him play, but what I read on him is impressive. Doesn't get nearly the ink as Karl Joseph.

teegre
03-16-2016, 10:30 PM
You think he has worked his way back into the 1st round? I'm starting to get a feeling that he may not be there when we draft in the 2nd. Just a feeling right now.

After the knee injury, I figured he'd go late-R2.

But, it's looking more & more like he'll sneak into R1 (and, definitely gone by 58).

hawaiiansteeler
03-16-2016, 11:40 PM
What's your overall feeling on KJ Dillon? I haven't seen him play, but what I read on him is impressive. Doesn't get nearly the ink as Karl Joseph.

Mike Mayock has Karl Joseph ranked as the #2 overall safety behind only Jalen Ramsey and rates KJ Dillion as the 5th best safety...

teegre
03-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Dillon played the SPUR position, which is a hybrid SS/ILB.

Of course, almost every player on WVU's back 8 can play multiple positions: Kwiatkoski and Petteway were originally safeties (now OLBs), and Joseph started out as a FS (now a SS). Terrance Garvin played the SPUR position, but he was larger (230 lbs) than Dillon (210 lbs). While Garvin switched to ILB in the NFL, Dillon would be better playing at at safety.

Anyway... the SPUR position is difficult (many responsibilities). Dillon was on the cusp of taking over at the SPUR position in 2013, but then he was hospitalized & almost died. Really. So, entering the 2014 season, it was a true preseason quandary as to whether he'd be able to play at all. Simply, he played well that season.

Fast-forward to Joseph getting injured. As a result, Dillon stepped up his play. Maybe he was just coming into his own (a fourth year in WVU's system will do that for a senior), or maybe he was playing extra hard due to the injury (which happens on every team). He also played the coveted SPUR position, which highlights a player's talents. However you cut it, Dillon had a great year.

That said, Dillon in not the "splash play" player that Joseph is. Also, Dillon is not a "hitter".

I would actually play him at FS... which sounds odd, since he was the SPUR (safety/linebacker). But, he's better at tracking down balls and batting away passes than he is at tackling. Considering his ball skills and his being used to playing in the box, he might be the answer to the TE coverage problem.

tube517
03-17-2016, 03:53 PM

teegre
03-17-2016, 05:54 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but I would be fine with drafting WVU's entire nickel package:

SS Karl Joseph
CB Daryl Worley
FS KJ Dillon
ILB/S Nick Kwiatkoski