PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle

hawaiiansteeler
02-10-2016, 06:50 PM
ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle

by Bryan DeArdo

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/575/284/6_4284575.jpg

Upgrading their secondary is the Steelers' top priority this offseason, and that will include looking into signing free agent safety Eric Weddle.

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Steelers will explore signing Weddle, a free agent that will likely not return to the Chargers, his team for the first nine years of his career.

Weddle, 31, is a three-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro. Similar to Troy Polamalu, Weddle, who has 19 career interceptions and 74 career passes defensed, is for known for his impeccable instincts, his athleticism, and his ability to thrive both in pass protection and in run support.

But for the first time since 2009, Weddle failed to play in all 16 games, as injuries sidelined him for three games in 2015. He also failed to record an interception for the first time since his rookie season last fall, while recording just 53 tackles, also his lowest total since his rookie season.

Despite his decline in production last season, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is a big fan of Weddle, and praised the veteran safety prior to Pittsburgh's matchup in San Diego last season.

“I love Eric Weddle, always have,” Tomlin said. “He’s so versatile. He’s a sub-package linebacker. He plays strong safety. He plays free safety. He plays half-field, middle of the field. They blitz him. He’s a do-everything type of a player, and a good one.”

As always, money is a significant factor in free agency, and that might be the biggest determining factor when it comes to whether or not Weddle will become a member of the Steelers. But if negotiations get serious between the two sides, Pittsburgh might be willing to spend more than normal to acquire a player that should immediately upgrade the Steelers' secondary.

While Weddle didn't have a great 2015 season, DeAngelo Williams also didn't have a very good final season with the Panthers before the Steelers made him the best free agent signing of the 2015 offseason. Williams, who battled injuries during his final season in Carolina, was reborn in Pittsburgh, enjoying his best year in seven seasons while helping the Steelers win its first playoff game since the 2010 season.

Weddle could have a similar story in Pittsburgh, while possibly being one of the final pieces of the Steelers' Super Bowl puzzle.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-Steelers-will-explore-signing-veteran-safety-Eric-Weddle-43620658

salamander
02-10-2016, 07:14 PM
I guess I'd be ok with it at the right price.

Skinart82
02-10-2016, 07:21 PM
I just don't want to throw money at a guy we "might" get one good season out of. I'm all for signing veteran free agents, but it's obvious an infusion of youth and talent it the way to go.

Psycho Ward 86
02-10-2016, 08:20 PM
id much much rather sign a CB who can contribute right away. There just seem to be so many pro ready safeties available at 25 for the moment

SteelerFanInStl
02-10-2016, 08:54 PM
I like Weddle but he's on the downside to his career. I'm lukewarm about signing him.

I'd also much rather sign a good, young CB, like Trumaine Johnson. I think that he'd do much more to help our secondary.

hawaiiansteeler
02-10-2016, 09:37 PM
id much much rather sign a CB who can contribute right away. There just seem to be so many pro ready safeties available at 25 for the moment

Safety Much Likelier Investment By Pittsburgh Than Corner

Ask a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan what position they'd like to see brought in during free agency, and they're likely to respond with...

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/safety-much-likelier-investment-by-pittsburgh-than-corner/

Mojouw
02-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm sure that about 25 or more teams will "explore" Weddle...who doesn't want a player of his caliber with a year or two left in the tank?

teegre
02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
I have a LOT to say about this subject... like 1450 words worth.

(Waiting for editing...)

86WARD
02-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Well, I'm sure that about 25 or more teams will "explore" Weddle...who doesn't want a player of his caliber with a year or two left in the tank?

This. All teams should be exploring and the Steelers should be "exploring" a lot of different free agents.

steelreserve
02-11-2016, 01:54 AM

The Chargers, apparently.

Steeldude
02-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Why? He will cost entirely too much and he is on the wrong side of 30.

ALLD
02-11-2016, 04:27 PM
If we sign him and he plays somewhere between Mike Vick and DeAngelo Williams it would be a good signing as long as he plays the entire season at a reasonable price.

hawaiiansteeler
02-13-2016, 12:35 PM
TOP 10 SAFETIES ABOUT TO HIT FREE AGENCY

MICHAEL RENNER

With many teams hoping to sure up their secondary this offseason, the safety position is near the top of many franchise offseason needs lists.

Below are PFF’s top 10 safety free agents entering the NFL offseason.

1. Eric Berry
2015 team: Kansas City Chiefs

PFF’s comeback player of the year, Berry’s story of overcoming Hodgkin’s lymphoma in the span of a year to return to form as a top-five safety is truly amazing. 2015 marked the second time in the past three seasons that Berry has finished in the top five at the position. The former top-10 pick has the ability to line up anywhere on the field and be productive, with past experience playing dime linebacker and slot corner. Even though he’s our top free agent, odds are that the Chiefs won’t let him get that far, as he’s a prime candidate for the franchise tag.

2. Eric Weddle
2015 team: San Diego Chargers

The class of the safety position for some time now in the NFL, Weddle is hitting the free agent market later than I’m sure he’d like. In 2014, he was PFF’s No. 1 ranked safety, but this past season’s injuries limited him to only 769 snaps, and he fell to our 12th-highest graded safety. His relationship also soured with the Chargers, so that makes Weddle the most talented safety to likely be readily available on the open market. There is no doubt, though, that Weddle can still cover with the best of them at 31 years old. His lowest coverage grade in his career is +3.5 (0.0 is average)—and that came back in 2010.

3. George Iloka
2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

A three-year starter for the Bengals, the former fifth-round pick is one of the most complete safeties hitting free agency this offseason. His run defense grade over the last two seasons is +4.7, while his coverage grade over the same span is +7.2. Iloka has the size (6-foot-4-inches, 225 pounds) that some teams will covet to match up with tight ends, even if he wasn’t used often in that role in Cincinnati.

4. Reggie Nelson
2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals

The other half of one of the best safety duos in football last season, Nelson was certainly the more talented player in coverage. At 32 years old, though, how long will he maintain that ability? Over the past five seasons, Nelson has a +33.1 coverage grade, and is coming off the second-highest graded season of his career. The Bengals played a lot of split safety looks, and Nelson is better suited for a deep safety role.

5. Tashaun Gipson
2015 team: Cleveland Browns

The big question here is which Gipson are you getting? The 2014 version that was one of the best free safeties in the NFL and had a top-10 coverage grade, or the 2015 version that was all too often out of position and had a bottom 10 coverage grade. The truth is, probably somewhere in between, as the entire Browns’ defense was in shambles last season. At only 25 years of age, Gipson’s asking price may not be worth that risk.

6. Husain Abdullah

The first of a few players on this list that have excelled as rotational safeties. Abdullah took over as a full time starter for the Chiefs in 2014 after having only 1,884 snaps to his name in six seasons, only to then transition back to part-time in 2015. Over the past two seasons, though, his +12.0 coverage grade is among the best in the NFL. Abdullah was utilized a majority of the time in the box, and even has some experience in a dime linebacker role.

7. Walter Thurmond
2015 team: Philadelphia Eagles

Thurmond was a wild card heading into 2015, as he moved from cornerback to safety in Philadelphia. The results were a revelation for Philly’s defense, as Thurmond finished as our 18th-highest graded safety. His ability to cover the slot will be very attractive to teams that ask a lot out of their safeties. At 28 years old, Thurmond could be one of the best value signings of this year’s free agent crop.

8. David Bruton
2015 team: Denver Broncos

What team is finally going to give Bruton a shot to start in the NFL? In a rotational role over the course of his career, he has put up a +9.1 coverage grade in 1,474 snaps over seven seasons. In the NFL, if you’re not a high draft pick and you’re not starting by the end of your rookie contract, usually it is impossible for you to shake the “backup” label. Bruton should certainly be given a chance to, though, next season.

9. Tyvon Branch

Branch falls down a bit on this list due to the fact that he hasn’t been a full-time starter since 2012. Branch may not be a lockdown cover guy, but he is one of the most physical safeties in the NFL. He was one of the most feared blitzing safeties back in his days with Oakland, and has a +20.2 combined run and pass-rush grade for his career. His size (6-foot, 210 pounds) might not suggest it, but Branch is best suited for a box role.

10. Dwight Lowery
2015 team: Indianapolis Colts

A journeyman safety that has consistently produced above average play in every stop of his career. At 30 years old, Lowery is coming off of the lowest graded season of his career, but I wouldn’t expect his production to all of a sudden fall of a cliff just yet. If you are a team desperate for competent play at the safety position for cheap, this is your man.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/09/pro-top-10-safeties-about-to-hit-free-agency/

86WARD
02-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Wouldn't mind taking Iloka from the Bungles.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2016, 11:40 PM
HOLY SHIT Walter Thurmond is going to be a free agent? Signed for cheap, lowkey excels at corner, lowkey excels at safety apparently. Is this NOT the perfect steelers signing?

im shifting my wish list to Walter Thurmond + Trumaine Johnson

tube517
02-19-2016, 12:43 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/ryan-clark-urges-eric-weddle-to-wear-his-old-number-should-he-sign-with-steelers/

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2016, 12:37 AM
Eric Weddle looking for team ready to contend

Posted by Josh Alper on February 19, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt lkota0y2i5mtzhzwrlntrjmmy5yzdimdq2y2vhymu5-e1430926974328.jpeg?w=243

The writing on the wall started appearing well before the 2015 season kicked off and the signs that safety Eric Weddle would be leaving the Chargers as a free agent this offseason never went away as the year unfolded.

The final act of Weddle’s time in San Diego came in a late-season dispute with the team after he was placed on injured reserve, all but guaranteeing that Weddle’s next time on the field would come in a different uniform. If Weddle has his way, that uniform will be one of a team in position to contend.

“In the next three or four years, are they going to be competitive, are they going to be division winners, are we going to have a chance at the Super Bowl?” Weddle said, via the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Prioritizing winning over salary should probably help Weddle’s job hunt, although different teams will surely have different comfort levels with plugging Weddle into their secondary. Weddle said he feels comfortable in any scheme, which should also help as he looks for his first NFL home outside San Diego.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/19/eric-weddle-looking-for-team-ready-to-contend/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs