PDA

View Full Version : Why The Steelers Shouldn’t Pick Up The Fifth-Year Option On LB Jarvis Jones

polamalubeast
02-10-2016, 10:40 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-fifth-year-option-lb-jarvis-jones/

steelreserve
02-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Of course we shouldn't pick up the option. On his present course, Jones isn't worth anywhere near $8 million; he's probably not even worth the $2.7 million he makes now.

If he does suddenly improve next year, at best we're in another Jason Worilds situation; at worst we're in another Lamar Woodley situation. The guy just has not done anything to give me confidence that he's going to be more than a backup/rotation player. If he wasn't in the lineup at all, we really wouldn't be missing anything except if we feel butthurt over a #1 draft pick not working out.

hawaiiansteeler
02-17-2016, 12:38 PM
James C Wexell@jimwexell

Colbert on Jarvis Jones: "Jarvis was better to a certain extent. You'd still like to see more sack production."

16 Feb 2016

Dwinsgames
02-17-2016, 12:59 PM
can't produce a major impact rushing the passer when you are only on the field half the time and half or more of that time is spent dropping into coverage . that being said , has he produced significantly when getting rush attempts and if forced to answer I would have to say no but he has managed to be in the area a lot during those rush attempts and that is the only real positive I can come away with other than he is ball aware .

Jones always seems to find himself around or causing a loose ball , there is something to be said for that in my opinion but I am not sure that equates to 8 million dollars unless he where able to increase those events 4 or 5 fold and that is doubtful

86WARD
02-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Of course we shouldn't pick up the option. On his present course, Jones isn't worth anywhere near $8 million; he's probably not even worth the $2.7 million he makes now.

If he does suddenly improve next year, at best we're in another Jason Worilds situation; at worst we're in another Lamar Woodley situation. The guy just has not done anything to give me confidence that he's going to be more than a backup/rotation player. If he wasn't in the lineup at all, we really wouldn't be missing anything except if we feel butthurt over a #1 draft pick not working out.

Jason Worilds was like Greg Lloyd compared to Jones...Jarvis has been downright terrible. If he wasn't a number 1 pick, he may have been cut long ago...well maybe not...Tomlin likes to hang on, but if he were on another team and played like this, he'd be cut.

Steeldude
02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
can't produce a major impact rushing the passer when you are only on the field half the time and half or more of that time is spent dropping into coverage . that being said , has he produced significantly when getting rush attempts and if forced to answer I would have to say no but he has managed to be in the area a lot during those rush attempts and that is the only real positive I can come away with other than he is ball aware .

Jones always seems to find himself around or causing a loose ball , there is something to be said for that in my opinion but I am not sure that equates to 8 million dollars unless he where able to increase those events 4 or 5 fold and that is doubtful

Jones has shown nothing as a pass rusher. I am not sure which games you are watching. Did even have more than 5 QB pressures? I would rather see Corky from Life Goes On as our pass rusher.

Dwinsgames
02-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Jones has shown nothing as a pass rusher. I am not sure which games you are watching. Did even have more than 5 QB pressures? I would rather see Corky from Life Goes On as our pass rusher.

I watched all of them

but again not sure all of it in totality ( include his total career production if you like ) is worth 8 million for 1 season

1int , 2FR ,1FF ,and a couple sacks . the sacks where 1 full and two 1/2 sacks 5 QB hits/knockdowns and 3 other pressures according to steelersdepot http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-2015-sack-review-lb-jarvis-jones/

(http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-2015-sack-review-lb-jarvis-jones/)

steelcityboyz
02-17-2016, 05:34 PM
The steelers need to move on from jarvis. He has had 0 impact on defense since he's been a steeler.

Steeldude
02-18-2016, 06:16 AM
I watched all of them

but again not sure all of it in totality ( include his total career production if you like ) is worth 8 million for 1 season

1int , 2FR ,1FF ,and a couple sacks . the sacks where 1 full and two 1/2 sacks 5 QB hits/knockdowns and 3 other pressures according to steelersdepot http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-2015-sack-review-lb-jarvis-jones/

(http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-2015-sack-review-lb-jarvis-jones/)

He isn't worth 1 million a season.

Count Steeler
02-18-2016, 06:24 AM
He just did not show enough to earn this 5th year option. Very few impact plays and always a step or 2 late. I doubt 1 more year will allow him to flick the switch.

Time to move on.