PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl 50 an absolute yawn

StillCurtains
02-09-2016, 08:08 PM
I give credit to where it is due to the 2015 Superbowl Champion Denver Broncos.

However, this was one of the least entertaining Superbowls I have ever seen. Superbowls are widely known for memorable plays. Yes, Denver has made critical plays in crucial moments, but nothing that is very Superbowl memorable. When Cam's refusal to fall on a fumble is what is the most discussed part of the game, that says something.

We are now hearing that Denver's defense may be the best ever. I disagree. They are very good, but I feel they are only great to the other 30 teams but not the Steelers. The Steelers are the only team to score 30 on them scoring 34.

Also in the playoff game, We gave them the toughest test even while being shorthanded. The Patriots and Panthers were healthy. I know about the fumble we had but we still should have won. Talib got away with PI on the endzone pass to Wheaton making contact and not turning around for the ball.

He then gets away with PI on Bryant on an endzone pass grabbing him before the ball arrived. If those 2 plays are called, we win even without the luxury of having Pouncey, Bell, D. Williams or AB. Even with that, Ben threw for 339 yards.

The Steelers were robbed and I don't feel Denver was the better team. Even without our main weapons, we should have won. This Steeler offense is the kryptonite for this Denver defense and that is the reason I can't have them being one of the best defenses ever although very good.

EzraTank
02-10-2016, 09:57 AM
All hindsight. Had the Steelers beat them there is no guarantee they win in New England (our kyrptonite) the following week since we always play bad against Brady especially in their stadium full of cheating devices.

And we have no one to blame but ourselves. If we don't drop two bad games to Baltimore we would have had home field advantage, the #1 seed and a bye week.

86WARD
02-10-2016, 10:41 AM
After watching bits and pieces of that game again, that field was in pretty shitty condition. The O-Lines on both sides of the ball were more like blocking sleds than linemen. That field was really, really bad.

Born2Steel
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Disagree with the thread title totally. I like the defensive dominance game maybe more than a high score, last team with the ball wins, game. I didn't find it boring at all.

lipps83
02-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Good defensive game. Would watch it again if it were on.

silver & black
02-10-2016, 02:38 PM
The Steelers were robbed and I don't feel Denver was the better team.

Careful.... you're sounding like a Squawks fan. :wink02:

Craic
02-10-2016, 03:50 PM
I give credit to where it is due to the 2015 Superbowl Champion Denver Broncos.

However, this was one of the least entertaining Superbowls I have ever seen. Superbowls are widely known for memorable plays. Yes, Denver has made critical plays in crucial moments, but nothing that is very Superbowl memorable. When Cam's refusal to fall on a fumble is what is the most discussed part of the game, that says something.

We are now hearing that Denver's defense may be the best ever. I disagree. They are very good, but I feel they are only great to the other 30 teams but not the Steelers. The Steelers are the only team to score 30 on them scoring 34.

Also in the playoff game, We gave them the toughest test even while being shorthanded. The Patriots and Panthers were healthy. I know about the fumble we had but we still should have won. Talib got away with PI on the endzone pass to Wheaton making contact and not turning around for the ball.

He then gets away with PI on Bryant on an endzone pass grabbing him before the ball arrived. If those 2 plays are called, we win even without the luxury of having Pouncey, Bell, D. Williams or AB. Even with that, Ben threw for 339 yards.

The Steelers were robbed and I don't feel Denver was the better team. Even without our main weapons, we should have won. This Steeler offense is the kryptonite for this Denver defense and that is the reason I can't have them being one of the best defenses ever although very good.

I disagree.

It absolutely was not a yawn. That's a conditioned response to the offense-heavy game played today. This Superbowl was great—two defensive powerhouses (at least this year) shutting down good offenses. And, it's not often you see a defense that's been very good throughout the year also dominate in the SB, let alone two of them. The old moniker no longer rings true, defense does not win championships, it gets you to the championship game. Offense wins championships. To see a game that went against that modern grain was wonderful.

As for the rest, well, it reads like sour grapes. We lost. Period. Next year hopefully we'll be healthier.

teegre
02-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I enjoyed that game immensely.

With 4 minutes left, Cam was one "long TD pass to Ginn" away from taking the lead.

As in: every snap of the ball mattered.

salamander
02-10-2016, 05:24 PM
I enjoyed the game a lot, personally. Better than a high scoring game in my opinion.

vasteeler
02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
another disagree, i thought it was great

Shoes
02-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I enjoyed it also.

steelreserve
02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
It was plenty exciting. Just full of tension instead of offensive splash plays.

You want a crappy Super Bowl, the Bears-Colts one was about as much of a sloppy, shitty, boring slog as you can get. Our own SB 40 against the Seahawks would have been a pretty lousy game too if I wasn't rooting for one of the teams involved. This game was well-played, just not high-scoring.

86WARD
02-10-2016, 06:32 PM
I'd disagree with the original poster as well. I enjoyed it. The defenses were dominant partly because they were that much better than the offenses, were able to take advantage of the field and both defenses looked better prepared than the offenses.

zulater
02-11-2016, 06:44 PM
I enjoyed the game too. I went in worried about a Carolina blowout. I knew the Broncos have a good defense, but I was worried Peyton would be a turnover machine. ( he tried to be, including almost throwing a pick 6 on the opening drive) Anyway getting back to the opening drive, thankfully the Panther defender settled for batting the ball away and the Broncos came out of that drive with the fg. Because I think in order for it to be a game Denver had to play with the lead. And conversely Cam was revealed to some extent in my opinion. The Panthers and Cam in particular don't go uphill so well. Having to play the entire game from behind wore on Cam imo. Anyway until the 4th quarter fumble ( that Cam punked out on) it was anyone's game. Even though the game was somewhat sloppy there was a lot of good hitting, and overall good defensive play. Also give the Broncos credit for gaining a decisive edge on special teams. When you're having to overcome your own qb's limitations winning the special teams battle is essential. I would hope that someone in the Steelers braintrust took notice.

st33lersguy
02-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Being that it was decided by 2 touchdowns it may have looked boring when compared to the plethora of recent Super Bowls that went down to the final minute, but as a stand-alone game it was entertaining to at least some degree. It was a one-score game until about 3 minutes remaining and it was a great defensive showing on both sides with many splash plays and momentum-shifting turnovers.

st33lersguy
02-12-2016, 10:56 PM
I know about the fumble we had but we still should have won. Talib got away with PI on the endzone pass to Wheaton making contact and not turning around for the ball.

The Steelers were robbed and I don't feel Denver was the better team. Even without our main weapons, we should have won.

The idea that the Steelers were robbed I find fallacious. Steelers made too many mistakes in that game, special teams play was too abysmal, and when it came down to crunch time, the Broncos outperformed the Steelers and made all the big plays that mattered. Can't pin the loss on 2 missed calls

hawaiiansteeler
02-14-2016, 03:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ociMBfkDG1w