PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Greene has been elected to the Hall of Fame

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Congratulations Kevin!!! I hope that he goes in as a Steeler.

I guess that I shouldn't have said "inducted" since the induction ceremony won't be for a while but he was chosen.

fansince'76
02-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Dungy's in too, as well as Stabler. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000633489/article/brett-favre-highlights-hall-of-fame-class-of-2016)

hawaiiansteeler
02-06-2016, 08:48 PM
unfortunately Alan Faneca must continue to wait...

Godfather
02-06-2016, 08:50 PM
I don't think Canton puts you in as a specific team. Cooperstown lets you pick a team logo for your hat. Canton is just a bust.

zulater
02-06-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm most glad abut Stabler, though saddened it didn't come a year earlier while he was still alive. Also Tony Dungy's Steelers roots shine through to me. Not only did he play for the Steelers, he also got his coaching start with them. I believe Noll made Tony the first black defensive coordinator in the league. Dungy has never been shy with his praise for Noll and always credits Bud Carson as the true inventor of the "Tampa 2 defense."

As for Kevin Greene. I'm probably the one Steeler fan not thrilled by him getting in. Yeah he compiled a boat load of sacks. He was a top notch pass rusher. But what sticks out to me as it pertains to his Steeler days, he was never the best OLB on those teams. Gregg Lloyd was and it wasn't particularly close. Lloyd was a complete OLB he could do it all. Equally strong against the run as he was rushing the passer, and he could cover too. Greene was a one trick pony. He was below average against the run. And he couldn't cover my mom if she went out for a pass. Andy Russell was a better linebacker. So was James Harrison. Russell, Harrison, and Lloyd were all far better players, and none will ever get a sniff of Canton, and I'm probably the only one that bothers tonight. :doh: :chuckle: Oh well I had to get it off my chest.

fansince'76
02-06-2016, 08:57 PM
As for Kevin Greene. I'm probably the one Steeler fan not thrilled by him getting in. Yeah he compiled a boat load of sacks. He was a top notch pass rusher. But what sticks out to me as it pertains to his Steeler days, he was never the best OLB on those teams. Gregg Lloyd was and it wasn't particularly close. Lloyd was a complete OLB he could do it all. Equally strong against the run as he was rushing the passer, and he could cover too. Greene was a one trick pony. He was below average against the run. And he couldn't cover my mom if she went out for a pass. Andy Russell was a better linebacker. So was James Harrison. Russell, Harrison, and Lloyd were all far better players, and none will ever get a sniff of Canton, and I'm probably the only one that bothers tonight. :doh: :chuckle: Oh well I had to get it off my chest.

Nope, I thought Kevin Greene was overrated too. And now that he's in, how can you justify keeping Lloyd, Russell and Harrison out?

st33lersguy
02-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Congrats!

tube517
02-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Nope, I thought Kevin Greene was overrated too. And now that he's in, how can you justify keeping Lloyd, Russell and Harrison out?
And LC and Shell

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2016, 08:37 AM
I don't think Canton puts you in as a specific team. Cooperstown lets you pick a team logo for your hat. Canton is just a bust.

You're correct. I was thinking about baseball.

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2016, 08:47 AM

I'm glad that he got in because he's a Steeler but I agree with you. He's not the most deserving of the Steeler players. Unfortunately it's only the sack numbers that gets looked at. This is very evident in today's NFL for all OLBers. Just look at Von Miller. He's praised by everyone as being the best OLB in the NFL but what does he do other than rush the QB? Nothing. He had 35 tackles this season. Yep, a whole 35. Compare that to what James Harrison was doing in his top seasons. James was getting 80+ tackles to go along with his great sack numbers, including a couple of seasons with 100 tackles. Von Miller has never even had 70 tackles in one season.

Hawkman
02-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Well......Harrison is still playing. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Kanata Steeler
02-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Congratulations Kevin!!! I hope that he goes in as a Steeler.

Yep, I do too, otherwise, I'll have to change my pic, (to Greg Lloyd Sr.), that should convince them ALL, to put both in.
;)

lipps83
02-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Greg Lloyd will never make the hall of fame.

fansince'76
02-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Well......Harrison is still playing. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Doesn't change the fact that he'll never sniff the HoF despite being a better player than K. Greene.

Mojouw
02-07-2016, 05:25 PM
I don't think that it is a better or worse player. I think it is just different. Kevin Greene was a pure rush end. That's it. He came in as a pass rusher and went out as a pass rusher. Although he was asked to increase his coverage responsibilities when the Rams went to a 4-3 and he did fairly successfully, he never really like it and that was obvious. He came to Pittsburgh to rush the passer and he did that to a degree no other Steelers OLB has since.

Dick LeBeau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_LeBeau) said, "Kevin Greene is a great player against the run and of the best pass rushers in NFL history. He is almost unblockable."

I really don't think that Lloyd, Harrison, were enough better against the run to make up for the fact that Greene was light years ahead of them as a pass rusher. Who cares about coverage? You don't bring in Kevin Greene as a FA to a 3-4 defense to cover anyone.

zulater
02-07-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't think that it is a better or worse player. I think it is just different. Kevin Greene was a pure rush end. That's it. He came in as a pass rusher and went out as a pass rusher. Although he was asked to increase his coverage responsibilities when the Rams went to a 4-3 and he did fairly successfully, he never really like it and that was obvious. He came to Pittsburgh to rush the passer and he did that to a degree no other Steelers OLB has since.

Dick LeBeau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_LeBeau) said, "Kevin Greene is a great player against the run and of the best pass rushers in NFL history. He is almost unblockable."

I really don't think that Lloyd, Harrison, were enough better against the run to make up for the fact that Greene was light years ahead of them as a pass rusher. Who cares about coverage? You don't bring in Kevin Greene as a FA to a 3-4 defense to cover anyone.

If Lloyd or Harrison were given the cherry LOLB spot instead of being matched up against teams best OT and having the responsibility to lock down strong side runs they would have posted sack totals as good or better than Greene. Particularly Harrison who in his prime virtually couldn't be blocked legally.LaMarr Woodley ,Jason Gildon, and Worlidis all posted double digit sack totals in a season from that position in the Steelers 3-4. All were good players, but none were special. I stand by it. In their prime both Lloyd and Harrison were far better football players than Kevin Greene ever thought of being.

ALLD
02-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Faneca was a better player than Greene, but he punked out during contract negotiations and might be forced to stay out longer. Kirkland should be in before Greene.

zulater
02-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Just to clarify, I'm happy for Kevin Greene. It was a lot of fun when he was on the team. Good character guy, high motor, gave it his all every play. And you know what, he did accumulate a great number of sacks. And that's noteworthy and significant. Sacks change games. So good for him! :applaudit:

I guess it just irks me a little that people outside of Pittsburgh and younger Steeler fans will never know how great Lloyd was. Injury shortened his career. But there was about a 6 year arc where Gregg was the most dangerous man in football.

As far as Harrison goes. For some damn reason Bill Cowher had a blind spot and wouldn't give James a chance to play! Yeah I get Joey Porter was pretty damn good at that time. But Clark Haggans? You couldn't see he was better than Haggans? :doh: If Harrison had a couple more in prime seasons on his resume I don;t think there's any question he's Canton bound. But the Hall voters will probably see him as having too few great seasons to gain entry. And it's a damn shame.

As far as Andy Russell goes. Being as Bill Stanfill played around the same time maybe there's some hope that the veterans committee will eventually right the wrong and put Andy in? Perennial Pro Bowler. Team captain. The man who taught Jack Ham how to play OLB. He belongs.

Mojouw
02-07-2016, 09:07 PM
My phone won't let me quote right now, but I see what you are saying now.

More that the HOF is a pretty silly set of voters who tend to look at #s without much context.

I think Greene deserves to be in, but so do a lot of other players. The whole restrictive nature and "gatekeeper" mentality of the Hall is beyond silly.

Unrelated, TO and Ward deserve to be in. Lucky if either makes it in the first 5 ballots they are eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
02-07-2016, 09:14 PM
That's what I hate...the fact they only let a certain number in. Who cares how many go in. If they deserve to be in...put them in. It's all a bunch of media idiots voting on it...

tube517
02-07-2016, 09:55 PM
That fat shit Peter King and his "too many 70s Steelers in the HOF" mentality with whoever else he has influenced pisses me off. Ask Roger Staubach what he thinks of LC, who terrorized him in the Super Bowls and basically ended his career.

LC should be in there. I like Kevin Greene and it's great he got in but leaving LC out just because there are so many Steelers from the 70s is a crock.

86WARD
02-07-2016, 10:17 PM
The members of the hall should have a vote before some assholes in the media.

Mojouw
02-08-2016, 01:32 PM
That's what I hate...the fact they only let a certain number in. Who cares how many go in. If they deserve to be in...put them in. It's all a bunch of media idiots voting on it...

Exactly. Or the whole "you have to wait your turn argument" because some idiot's favorite player from 1894 had to wait in line to get in.

They need to induct a massive "clear the decks" class and get this back-log issue sorted out.

86WARD
02-09-2016, 07:40 PM
New Pro Football Hall of Famer Tony Dungy has chosen former Steelers teammate Donnie Shell to be his presenter this summer in Canton.

tube517
02-10-2016, 07:27 AM
New Pro Football Hall of Famer Tony Dungy has chosen former Steelers teammate Donnie Shell to be his presenter this summer in Canton.

Awesome.

Maybe Dungy can do what Lynn Swann did for John Stallworth and have Shell "complete his hour" and get in the HOF.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/dungy-picks-former-teammate-to-present-him-at-hall-of-fame-20160209/

“Donnie Shell is a great person and he was quite a player,’’ Dungy said Tuesday. ”He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame someday.’

zulater
02-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Awesome.

Maybe Dungy can do what Lynn Swann did for John Stallworth and have Shell "complete his hour" and get in the HOF.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/dungy-picks-former-teammate-to-present-him-at-hall-of-fame-20160209/

That was my thought too. Just bringing him up there might refresh some memories of the older voters and maybe tweaks the interest of the younger ones so they do a little research on who this guy is. If they do they'll see the numbers all support Shell's inclusion into the Hall.

By the way I heard Dungy on Mike and Mike on Monday morning. After his mom and dad the first person he brought up was Chuck Noll. He's always has been quick to credit Noll and cite him as the most influential person in his career. He also thanked The Chief (Art Rooney Sr) and Dan Rooney for his career. It didn't surprise me that he thanked The Chief. Because everyone loved him. But the rumor always was that Dan forced Noll's hand in firing Dungy as Steelers defensive coordinator. Well actually Rooney wanted Tony demoted to secondary coach, and that position was in fact offered to him. But Tony chose to move on. That move also contributed to Noll's eventual retirement. Because Dan told Noll to fire OC Joe Walton after the 91 season, and Noll after having his hand forced with Dungy vowed never to allow any interference in his coaching staff again. So rather than fire Walton he retired. Or so I've been told by several solid sources. .