PDA

View Full Version : Delayed free agency? Mike Adams takes it in stride — and the Steelers might benefit

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Adamski: Delayed free agency? Mike Adams takes it in stride — and the Steelers might benefit

January 30, 2016 by Chris Adamski

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2016/01/Adams-300x225.jpg

Professional athletes only get so many chances to test their worth on the open market, just a finite number of opportunities to theoretically play wherever they want.
For Mike Adams, that precious occasion was lost – or, at least, delayed for a year.

Our Mark Kaboly was the first to report, back in December, that an obscure stipulation in the collective bargaining agreement meant that Adams would NOT become an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Adams wasn’t around much during the designated open locker room sessions for the media this season to get his reaction, but I finally caught up to him the day after the Steelers’ season ended.

If Adams was perturbed by the aforementioned little-known rule (it a states that if a player spends the entire final season of his contract on the physically unable to perform list that his contract will be carried over to the following season), he did a good job of hiding it:

“It’s no secret that I love being here. So to be able to be back for a year and not have this year, in a sense, count against me, was kind of a good thing — not (merely) kind of a good thing; it was a great thing.”

Adams, understandably, took the high road. But it can’t feel good to have your freedom (one that’s earned through surviving four years in the National Football League) away – not that this is the Steelers’ fault. Adams had back surgery not long before training camp opened, leading to his PUP designation.

Coach Mike Tomlin said on Reporting Day at St. Vincent College that Adams would return to practice in “four weeks.” Thirteen weeks later, by the Steelers’ sixth game, Adams was still not cleared to practice. That began a five-week window in which Adams could have began practicing, followed by 21 days in which he HAD to practice for his season not to officially end. Needless to say, Adams never practiced and never was removed from PUP.

“I was (frequently) here (at the facility) – but it’s just always different when you’re not out there practicing or playing,” Adams said of his lost 2015 season. “For me I have never been out for a year before so it was a new experience. Definitely an experience to grow mentally stronger and to be able to sit and review myself just sit back and look at the things I need to work on in a bigger perspective.

“You reflect and you are here to watch these guys all grow, such as (guard) David DeCastro making All Pro. I’m just proud of my friends, the way they grinded this year, fought through adversity, losing guys. And real proud of (tackle Alejandro Villanueva) the way he stepped up this year. So it was a heck of a year to sit and watch these guys and I’m sure proud of the way they played.”

The Adams situation, in some ways, ended up being a blessing in disguise for the Steelers. Most importantly, Adams’ absence facilitated Villanueva making the 53-man roster when the season began. It also forced the Steelers to play him when left tackle Kelvin Beachum was lost for the season with a knee injury.

If Adams had been able to play, the Steelers might not ever know what they had in Villanueva.

If Adams had been able to play, the Steelers would have faced the prospect of having TWO of the three tackles they dress on gamedays head for unrestricted free agency (Beachum is a UFA) – and they would have encountered that with no evidence Villanueva could handle the job.

As it stands now, the Steelers could stand pat at tackle, if they so choose, with Villanueva the starter on the left side and Adams the “swing” backup to him and right tackle Marcus Gilbert. Adams (about $1.13 million) and Villanueva ($525,000) both are signed on the cheap. There’s much less pressure to draft a tackle, to explore acquiring one in free agency or to go out of their comfort zone (dollars-wise) in what they offer Beachum for an extension.

Adams, in effect, could just slide right into the never-used Byron Stingily’s spot on the 53-man roster. The Steelers can prioritize other positions in the draft and free agency – or, of course, still bring Beachum back.

You never, ever wish anyone to get injured, but… in short, the sequence of events that began with Adams’ back surgery (him having his free agency delayed, the Steelers getting a look at Villanueva, Villanueva doing a no-worse-than-adequate job) worked to the team’s advantage. Of course, Adams needs to get himself back to full health and back in playing shape.

to read rest of article:

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2016/01/30/adamski-delayed-free-agency-mike-adams-takes-it-in-stride-and-the-steelers-might-benefit/#axzz3z804v7vE

teegre
02-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Can Mike Adams play LG???

Real question... not rhetorical.

ALLD
02-03-2016, 02:15 PM
He was not a fan favorite before the injury. After back surgery who knows what he can give.

zulater
02-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Can Mike Adams play LG???

Real question... not rhetorical.

Can he play at a passable level at any position? I have yet to see it from him.

SteelerFanInStl
02-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Can he play at a passable level at any position? I have yet to see it from him.

He's had flashes but nothing consistent. There for a while he was playing better at RT than Gilbert but then Gilbert took a huge step forward this year.

If he's healthy next season, hopefully Munch can turn him into a capable backup.

Craic
02-03-2016, 09:12 PM
He's had flashes but nothing consistent. There for a while he was playing better at RT than Gilbert but then Gilbert took a huge step forward this year.

If he's healthy next season, hopefully Munch can turn him into a capable backup.

This.

There's times when he was a monster at RT, especially in the run game. And then there were times when he looked like a child facing a monster. The frustrating thing is, it might even happen in the same game.

As for moving him to Guard, who knows. I think he'd do much, much better in the phonebooth of the Guard's territory, but I don't think he has the ability to pull like the Steelers would want, because I just don't see him being able to maneuver well.

Shoes
02-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Adams has a problem and its between his ears. In my eye there is a remarkable resemblance between Adams, Sweed, Mendenhall, Worlds, Cortez Allen and you can also throw in McCullers. There is a disconnect in mind and heart and I don't think it can be fixed to be successful at this level.

steelreserve
02-04-2016, 02:07 PM
I would never count on getting anything out of an offensive lineman who's had back surgery. That's more of a career-ender for them than an ACL or Achilles injury. Who knows, maybe he can at least provide depth, but if not, we've already moved on.

Rotorhead
02-04-2016, 03:40 PM
I am thinking at this point, he is just there for depth. But who knows, maybe Munch can get him up to speed and bring out what everyone thought he could do.

steelreserve
02-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Having had a little time to think it over ... if he is able to play next season, he could be the insurance policy for Beachum leaving.

Think about it: With Adams, at the very least we have a guy who can back up the RT position with some success. So if anything happens to Villanueva, we can move Gilbert to the other side, which is not ideal but still better than some random scrub. That makes me far less nervous than having no backup at all for either tackle position other than a complete dice-roll. You know that over the course of a season, it would be a freakin miracle if neither tackle missed even one game from being beat up. So we need a plan for that, and this fits the bill nicely given the cost and our resources available.

hawaiiansteeler
02-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Having had a little time to think it over ... if he is able to play next season, he could be the insurance policy for Beachum leaving.

Think about it: With Adams, at the very least we have a guy who can back up the RT position with some success. So if anything happens to Villanueva, we can move Gilbert to the other side, which is not ideal but still better than some random scrub. That makes me far less nervous than having no backup at all for either tackle position other than a complete dice-roll. You know that over the course of a season, it would be a freakin miracle if neither tackle missed even one game from being beat up. So we need a plan for that, and this fits the bill nicely given the cost and our resources available.

good post, and I agree. in addition, he still comes cheap and can be used in jumbo packages as an extra blocking TE.