PDA

View Full Version : Report: Kelvin Beachum Not Interested In Moving To Guard

polamalubeast
02-02-2016, 05:37 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/report-kelvin-beachum-not-interested-in-moving-to-guard/

Mojouw
02-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Shocking. He doesn't want to single-handedly destroy his market price before FA even starts.

Really nice scoop by Kaboly there. Real hard hitting investigative reporting kinda stuff.

zulater
02-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Shocking. He doesn't want to single-handedly destroy his market price before FA even starts.

Really nice scoop by Kaboly there. Real hard hitting investigative reporting kinda stuff.

I wont kill Karboly. Tough for a teams beat writer to find fresh angles through the offseason. It does tell you something. For example some free agents in the past have made it known they would bend to fit onto the Steelers plans. Brett Keisel for example turned down free agent offers from other teams in 14 and this year again. He let the Steelers know he was a Steeler or an ex football player. Now I realize the situation isn't quite the same, but still I think this tells you that there's a better chance the Steelers will try to resign Foster now.

ALLD
02-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Can Beachum punt?

Born2Steel
02-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Can Beachum punt?

Better yet, can he return punts/kickoffs?

Steelersfan
02-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Can and/or will he play center? If he will, that still leaves my off-season dream to trade Pouncey, Wheaton & Suisham for Aaron Donald alive. Use Pouncy's money to re-sign Beachum and let Donald wreak havoc on Qbs next year.

Devilsdancefloor
02-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Better yet, can he return punts/kickoffs?

well i bet he can call for a fair catch at the 10. but this is kinda of discouraging i really thought he was a different kind of player, but guess not

steelreserve
02-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Can and/or will he play center? If he will, that still leaves my off-season dream to trade Pouncey, Wheaton & Suisham for Aaron Donald alive. Use Pouncy's money to re-sign Beachum and let Donald wreak havoc on Qbs next year.

In what world where everyone is on crystal meth is any of that even possible? If we traded Pouncey this year, we'd LOSE cap space from all the dead money.

Not to mention, I don't think anyone'd be too eager to trade a superstar costing them $2 million and change, who they have at a low price for the next three years ... for two guys coming off full-season injuries (including the centerpiece of the deal who missed two of the last three years), who cost a combined $15 million, plus one dime-a-dozen receiver with an expiring contract who'll be looking for a big pay raise? I mean, the Rams suck, but they're not THAT stupid.

And then we're relying on a center who's coming off a severe injury and hasn't got any meaningful experience in the pros at it. There's no guarantee he'd even be better than Wallace. I know it's only a crazy idea, but man, talk about a trade where everybody loses.

teegre
02-03-2016, 12:41 AM

Beachum can indeed play OC.

They are not trading Pouncey.

Donald does want out of the Rams organization. Tomlin loved him during the pre-draft process; plus, Donald is a Pittsburgh guy. If the Steelers traded the R1 and R2 picks, they could get him. I'd do it.

86WARD
02-03-2016, 05:24 AM

I don't think anything remotely close to that will occur, but you can dream...right...

SteelerFanInStl
02-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Beachum can indeed play OC.

They are not trading Pouncey.

Donald does want out of the Rams organization. Tomlin loved him during the pre-draft process; plus, Donald is a Pittsburgh guy. If the Steelers traded the R1 and R2 picks, they could get him. I'd do it.
What's your source for Donald wanting out of the Rams? I've heard no such thing.

The chance that the Rams would trade him is 0%.

teegre
02-03-2016, 01:44 PM
What's your source for Donald wanting out of the Rams? I've heard no such thing.

You know, I saw it being discussed here last week, and honestly just went with it.

Regardless, you're correct: I can't find anything else about it.

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 03:01 PM
You know, I saw it being discussed here last week, and honestly just went with it.

if Steelers Professor said it, then it must be true.

if anyone else wrote it, then it's probably wrong...

Steelman
02-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Beachum was arguably a top-10 left tackle before his injury...now people want to move him to guard and take less money and then crucify him when he'd rather remain being a damn good left tackle? Funny how that works.

I love the offseason. :chuckle:

If it's with the Steelers or not, I wish him well and I believe he deserves to start at LT for any team. His potential loss is mitigated with the meteoric rise of Big Al.

- - - Updated - - -

if Steelers Professor said it, then it must be true.

if anyone else wrote it, then it's probably wrong...

Damn, did I miss our latest troll?? I've been on vacation!

tube517
02-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Beachum was arguably a top-10 left tackle before his injury...now people want to move him to guard and take less money and then crucify him when he'd rather remain being a damn good left tackle? Funny how that works.

If it's with the Steelers or not, I wish him well and I believe he deserves to start at LT for any team. His potential loss is mitigated with the meteoric rise of Big Al.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, did I miss our latest troll?? I've been on vacation!

Don't worry. The troll came and went as fast as a hippo farting at a poker game :hippo:

Hawkman
02-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Don't worry. The troll came and went as fast as a hippo farting at a poker game :hippo:

.....made it all of 129 posts.

steelreserve
02-03-2016, 07:44 PM

Nobody wants to crucify him, it's just not a good idea to sign him. For a lot of money. Coming off an injury. When we already have another guy who plays the position well for much less.

I don't know where all this "top 10 left tackle" stuff is coming from all of a sudden. He was pretty good, but nowhere near dominant. I know we had a series of shitty LTs before him, but let's not kid ourselves because he looked better by comparison.

Count Steeler
02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Nobody wants to crucify him, it's just not a good idea to sign him. For a lot of money. Coming off an injury. When we already have another guy who plays the position well for much less.

I don't know where all this "top 10 left tackle" stuff is coming from all of a sudden. He was pretty good, but nowhere near dominant. I know we had a series of shitty LTs before him, but let's not kid ourselves because he looked better by comparison.

Top 10 must be from his agent.

Be interesting to see if Munchak can get anywhere with Adams.

Psycho Ward 86
02-03-2016, 08:13 PM

it's unreal. Some people talk like players owe their loyalty to this team as there is no business side, as if they have to sacrifice their career arch coming off an injury.

imagine if people talked up this ACL tear as the catastrophe that it is most likely not everytime it happened to one of our other players :lol:.

my personal favorite in recent memory is all of the people who got pissed that AB/AB's agent had the audacity to seek a raise last offseason and downplayed his abilities while talking up Sammie Coates

Psycho Ward 86
02-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Beachum Says Steelers Had To Put Red-Headed Step Child Bengals Back In There Place: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-kelvin-beachum-bengals-red-headed-stepchild/

Boy im going to miss this guy as a person and as a player when he leaves :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Top 10 must be from his agent.

“Beachum is a top 5 LT just saying,” Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert posted ...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-marcus-gilbert-kelvin-beachum-top-5-left-tackle/

Steeldude
02-04-2016, 04:11 AM
So no direct quote from Beachum?

But let's say Beachum refuses to play. Then what? I say let him walk.

zulater
02-04-2016, 05:11 AM
So no direct quote from Beachum?

But let's say Beachum refuses to play. Then what? I say let him walk.

He's an unrestricted free agent. He's free to negotiate and sign with whoever he likes at the start of the new football year, which occurs sometime in March.

Steeldude
02-04-2016, 08:39 AM
He's an unrestricted free agent. He's free to negotiate and sign with whoever he likes at the start of the new football year, which occurs sometime in March.

I meant if he refuses to play guard

Mojouw
02-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Are we all sure that AV is the long term answer at LT? I mean he didn't suck or anything, but it is almost like people forget how darn good Beachum is. Is there a dollar amount below which people would be in favor of resigning Beachum? Or is everyone just comfortable handing the blindside to AV?

86WARD
02-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I'd feel comfortable paying him the money he deserves. AV was good but Beachum is better. I think the problem will wind up being the Lane Johnson contract...6 year, $63M with $35.5M guaranteed and he's currently a RT. You have to think that Johnson's contract is a starting point either way.

If you use that money on Beachum, what happens to DeCastro, Bell, etc.

dislocatedday
02-04-2016, 01:01 PM
I'd feel comfortable paying him the money he deserves. AV was good but Beachum is better. I think the problem will wind up being the Lane Johnson contract...6 year, $63M with $35.5M guaranteed and he's currently a RT. You have to think that Johnson's contract is a starting point either way.

If you use that money on Beachum, what happens to DeCastro, Bell, etc.

That is the crux of the question. Signing Beachum to a monster contract like that creates a severe hindrance to signing guys elsewhere. Outside of Fletcher Cox, I am not sure what other young guys the Eagles have for whom they should spend big money to extensions. Lane is probably a good proposition for them to keep long-term based on their team's circumstances.

The Steelers have a different set of circumstances than the Eagles though. I think the Steelers have other guys coming up who are more important than Beachum (just my opinion obviously, others may feel different). I'd much rather see this team spend their money on DeCastro, AB, and LeVeon for contract extensions. I also envision both Tuitt and Shazier as key guys on the defense who will also be the ones to target for extensions in a couple years.

I think all this can work as well going into the future without creating a situation where guys are forced to be cut to comply with the salary cap, which then creates a lot of dead money on the books that affect the team significantly. Timmons huge cap number will go down or go away completely, Heath probably has one more year I am guessing, Cortez Allen will be gone...........and then if you plan on Ben retiring after 4 more seasons that is huge cap space that will be available for the team. Give some of these guys good contracts now, or in the next year or two, with a good signing bonus and then move some of bigger $$$ in base salaries out to later years when Ben is likely no longer counting against the cap.

That might be overly simplified, but I think such a scenario works and also allows this team to keep its core young guys together for many seasons, and still gives them flexibility to fill in pieces elsewhere.

steelreserve
02-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Are we all sure that AV is the long term answer at LT? I mean he didn't suck or anything, but it is almost like people forget how darn good Beachum is. Is there a dollar amount below which people would be in favor of resigning Beachum? Or is everyone just comfortable handing the blindside to AV?

I'm comfortable giving it to AV; he did an acceptable to slightly better-than-average job. Most importantly, he did nothing to make me concerned he's going to completely collapse; he held his own. Beachum is good but not dominant.

Looking at it in the perspective of, how much impact does an above-average left tackle make versus a merely average left tackle ... compared to how much impact does an RB like Bell have compared to an average RB ... or how much impact an above-average CB has compared to a guy like Blake ... and it's really a no-brainer where the best use of our limited money is going to be. Left tackle is not it. These are the kinds of decisions you have to make all the time with the salary cap. We're just very fortunate that this time we have a guy behind the starter who we've seen play, and play well in extended action. Usually you don't get that luxury.

I'd want Beachum back if it was for about the same as we could sign Foster, but everyone knows that's never going to happen. He'll command two or three times that, so ... sayonara.

steelreserve
02-04-2016, 01:18 PM
....and then if you plan on Ben retiring after 4 more seasons that is huge cap space that will be available for the team.

Not so fast there. When Ben retires, his contract will have been restructured so many times, being the elephant in the room, that we're going to have more problems, not less. He will probably carry a $30 million dead money hit by the end. When Ben retires is the point at which the train goes off the cliff and we have to really clean house, not the point at which things ease up.

The only way out of that that I can see is if, once he's done playing, we extended him an extra year at the veteran minimum and kept him on the roster but not playing, just to spread the cap hit out. Then they'll probably pass a rule against that.

fansince'76
02-04-2016, 01:22 PM
.....made it all of 129 posts.

...over 3 days. It usually takes most people, even the most active posters, at least a couple of weeks to rack up that many.

And all but about 2 or 3 of those posts were to argue with somebody regarding some unsubstantiated bullshit he spewed which he obviously made up about things that happened decades ago.

Quite the revisionist historian, he was...

dislocatedday
02-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Not so fast there. When Ben retires, his contract will have been restructured so many times, being the elephant in the room, that we're going to have more problems, not less. He will probably carry a $30 million dead money hit by the end. When Ben retires is the point at which the train goes off the cliff and we have to really clean house, not the point at which things ease up.

The only way out of that that I can see is if, once he's done playing, we extended him an extra year at the veteran minimum and kept him on the roster but not playing, just to spread the cap hit out. Then they'll probably pass a rule against that.

As of now there have been no restructures (moving base salary to signing bonus) or "dead years" added onto his contract of which I am aware, so I would not make assumptions that this will be the case.

I also don't see any logical reason why the team would have to "clean house" when Ben retires (I assume by cleaning house you mean get rid of all the rest of the key players and start building anew from almost scratch). It is very unlikely the team will have another starting QB anywhere close to Ben's skill step in immediately after he leaves, but I think the team still will field the best squad it can. I don't see any reason the Steelers could not still have a strong competitive team even after Ben retires. Consistently competing for championships is difficult without a top shelf QB, granted, but I don't expect the Steelers to just concede and accept mediocrity just because Ben is no longer there.

SteelerFanInStl
02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
...over 3 days. It usually takes most people, even the most active posters, at least a couple of weeks to rack up that many.

And all but about 2 or 3 of those posts were to argue with somebody regarding some unsubstantiated bullshit he spewed which he obviously made up about things that happened decades ago.

Quite the revisionist historian, he was...

Yea, the dude took over every single thread on this forum. I got tired of reading his crap the first day.

zulater
02-04-2016, 05:37 PM

Beachum was a very good pass blocker in 14, as a run blocker I'm not even sure he was average? . This season even before he got hurt his pass blocking had slipped more than a little. I would say his pass blocking this season was average and no better. His run blocking was more or less the same. I don't know if the league adjusted to him with a seasons worth of tape to figure out his weaknesses? Or maybe he was playing through injuries? Or maybe it was just an early season slump? Anyway this year's Beachum isn't worth top 10 tackle money. Not even close.

SteelerFanInStl
02-04-2016, 05:48 PM
I don't have anything against Beachum. He stepped up and did a pretty good job for us at LT when no one else was producing. He'll never be a great LT though and I don't want us to pay him like one.

From what we saw of AV this season, I think that he can be great. He's got the tools. He just needs Munch to coach him up and get more experience. I'm willing to roll the dice on him and save the dollars for other positions.

Count Steeler
02-04-2016, 06:57 PM
The thing to be careful of with this Oline is the Munchak effect. We all remember what this cast was like before the arrival of Munch.

Any team that wants to take Foster or Beachum, better be confident in their Oline coach or else they are going to overpay.

hawaiiansteeler
02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
I believe the Steelers will sign one of the two, it's not prudent to just let two of your OL starters leave the same year in free agency...

Mojouw
02-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Beachum was a very good pass blocker in 14, as a run blocker I'm not even sure he was average? . This season even before he got hurt his pass blocking had slipped more than a little. I would say his pass blocking this season was average and no better. His run blocking was more or less the same. I don't know if the league adjusted to him with a seasons worth of tape to figure out his weaknesses? Or maybe he was playing through injuries? Or maybe it was just an early season slump? Anyway this year's Beachum isn't worth top 10 tackle money. Not even close.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/2015-player-exit-meetings-ot-kelvin-beachum/

Seems to be a good read on the situation and close to what you are saying, Zu. I guess your breakdown of Beachum is basically my worry about AV. Now that everyone has a year and some tape to breakdown, they will exploit the fairly big holes in AV's game.

Long story short, I wouldn't mind having Beachum return for like 7 million or so...but that will never happen. So let us all hope that the potential anyone can see in AV is able to be realized and put on the field.

steelerdude15
02-07-2016, 02:00 PM

:rofl2:

zulater
02-08-2016, 07:19 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/2015-player-exit-meetings-ot-kelvin-beachum/

Seems to be a good read on the situation and close to what you are saying, Zu. I guess your breakdown of Beachum is basically my worry about AV. Now that everyone has a year and some tape to breakdown, they will exploit the fairly big holes in AV's game.

Long story short, I wouldn't mind having Beachum return for like 7 million or so...but that will never happen. So let us all hope that the potential anyone can see in AV is able to be realized and put on the field.

I think our concerns about AV should be mostly quelled by the Broncos post season run. By this I mean the Steelers played the Broncos late in the regular season. Then the Steelers had to go out to Denver with the Broncos having had a bye week to prepare. So wouldn't you think with the edge rushers the Broncos have they weren't looking to exploit Villenueva in that divisional playoff game? Ben had a pretty clean pocket most of the game. Yeah Ben got sacked 3 times, but compared to what Brady and Cam took from that team in the following weeks you got to say our line did a helluva job against that team. Brady took 20 hits. Cam took 13 hits I'm not sure how many Ben took, but I'd guess it was around 6 or 7? Anyhow getting back to the point, if there was something to be exposed in AV's game a team with that caliber of edge rushers who had just seen that player a few weeks earlier with a bye week to help prepare for him, having the additional advantage of the home crowd, which forced the Steelers into several silent counts, which absolutely gives the edge rushers an extra half step at the snap. I'm pretty confident we found our left tackle for the foreseeable future.

Mojouw
02-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Zu, on the road most of the morning today and what you posted was all I could think about after last nights game.

I suspect my concerns are overblown and stemming from pessimism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
02-08-2016, 11:28 AM
I said similar when the Broncos defense was breaking free on the Patriots all game. AV played well. He played very well against the best D in the league. Nothing to just brush over.

Psycho Ward 86
02-08-2016, 11:30 AM
I think our concerns about AV should be mostly quelled by the Broncos post season run. By this I mean the Steelers played the Broncos late in the regular season. Then the Steelers had to go out to Denver with the Broncos having had a bye week to prepare. So wouldn't you think with the edge rushers the Broncos have they weren't looking to exploit Villenueva in that divisional playoff game? Ben had a pretty clean pocket most of the game. Yeah Ben got sacked 3 times, but compared to what Brady and Cam took from that team in the following weeks you got to say our line did a helluva job against that team. Brady took 20 hits. Cam took 13 hits I'm not sure how many Ben took, but I'd guess it was around 6 or 7? Anyhow getting back to the point, if there was something to be exposed in AV's game a team with that caliber of edge rushers who had just seen that player a few weeks earlier with a bye week to help prepare for him, having the additional advantage of the home crowd, which forced the Steelers into several silent counts, which absolutely gives the edge rushers an extra half step at the snap. I'm pretty confident we found our left tackle for the foreseeable future.

Does that mean your rampant scapegoating of Toussaint will be quelled as well? Seems to me that Toussaint outperformed Johnathan Stewart (a pro bowl RB) on an undermanned offensive line...but thats none of my business

86WARD
02-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Does that mean your rampant scapegoating of Toussaint will be quelled as well? Seems to me that Toussaint outperformed Johnathan Stewart (a pro bowl RB) on an undermanned offensive line...but thats none of my business

Maybe Carolina would take Fitz in an even up trade for Stewart?!?

zulater
02-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Sources within the Steelers said Toussaint missed holes that were there (this from DK's site) Plays were left on the field, big plays. He was a practice squad player for a reason. We'll all be lucky if he doesn't have a meaningful carry next season.

Happy? :coffee:

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Carolina would take Fitz in an even up trade for Stewart?!?

Only if our o-line came with the package.

zulater
02-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Zu, on the road most of the morning today and what you posted was all I could think about after last nights game.

I suspect my concerns are overblown and stemming from pessimism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know the biggest concern with AV might be that if a shooting war breaks out anywhere and American troops in any significant amount are called into action he's already stated that as a member of inactive reserves he would voluntary put his name in the hat. He considers duty to country above all else.

Now possibly Tomlin or Ben or Munch or someone might convince him that he's already done his duty and that we need you more? But I don't know how in good consciense you could even think of influencing him that way? So there's always that. I wish they could figure out a way to keep Beachum and Foster. But I doubt they can pull it off.

Born2Steel
02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Maybe the Panthers will trade us a DB or DL for Beachum. Considering how badly Oher got take to the shed in the superbowl.

zulater
02-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Maybe the Panthers will trade us a DB or DL for Beachum. Considering how badly Oher got take to the shed in the superbowl.

I think Beachum is going to be an unrestricted free agent. They can just sign him. They probably should.

86WARD
02-09-2016, 01:52 PM
If Beachum wasn't unrestricted, I would trade him to the Panthers for Oher and a late round pick. Oher would be excellent tackle depth.