PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Art Rooney II Believes Game Has Become Over Officiated

tube517
02-01-2016, 08:43 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-art-rooney-ii-believes-game-become-officiated/

That's a fine for Deebo and you just lost 3 draft picks to the Cheats** you meddling Rooneys!!!! :rulez::nono::pin::hippo::chuckle:

fansince'76
02-01-2016, 09:08 AM
He's right. It's pretty much unwatchable at this point.

silver & black
02-01-2016, 09:32 AM
It doesn't matter what team you root for, the NFL is no fun to watch anymore. Hell, there are more commercials than there is game time. The rules border on ridiculous and even the officials don't understand them. If you are a fan of defense (me) they have killed the game. F**k the NFL.

SteelerFanInStl
02-01-2016, 05:09 PM
It doesn't matter what team you root for, the NFL is no fun to watch anymore. Hell, there are more commercials than there is game time. The rules border on ridiculous and even the officials don't understand them. If you are a fan of defense (me) they have killed the game. F**k the NFL.

Yea, I enjoy it less and less every year and I've been a fan for 40 years. I rarely watch any games live except for the Steelers and that's primarily so that I can discuss the game in the Gameday thread here. The other games I usually record and start watching at least an hour into it so that I can skip all of the damn commercials.

fansince'76
02-01-2016, 06:01 PM

Yep. Your team make a big play? Better wait about 5 minutes just to make sure it doesn't get wiped out by a late (and more often than not, completely BS) flag before you start celebrating. In fact, that's the first thing I look for anymore whenever the Steelers make a big play.

It shouldn't be that way.

Count Steeler
02-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Yep. Your team make a big play? Better wait about 5 minutes just to make sure it doesn't get wiped out by a late (and more often than not, completely BS) flag before you start celebrating. In fact, that's the first thing I look for anymore whenever the Steelers make a big play.

It shouldn't be that way.

Exactly. I always look at the score line and wait to see if it turns yellow. And if it is off a turnover or in the last 2 minutes, you have to wait to see if the officials review it and let it stand.

Fun? Wow!

Mojouw
02-02-2016, 09:37 AM
You can blame the TV broadcast and the internet. When the TV broadcasts repeatedly show hyper-slow-motion HD clips of the play(s) over and over again and have the announcers debate the "call" - it leads to a fallacy that their is a "correct" call for every play. And, yes, the tv broadcasts did this before the advent of challenge flags, etc. Unlike baseball and basketball, there is not a culture/perception that every call has an epic impact on the game and MUST be gotten RIGHT or the integrity of the game will suffer - or some such nonsense. Other sports seem to accept that "bang-bang" plays/calls happen. But not in football. Did you guys know that every week matters? It is a game of inches? Each play can swing the balance of each game? Whatever.

Then with the internet, any idiot with a keyboard and mouse can grab about a million screen caps of any given play, video clips, GIFS, whatever and trumpet from the mountaintops how their team was robbed by an incorrectly called play. This creates a perception of a massive groundswell of support for over officiating.

Since the NFL league offices are essentially a big PR firm and nothing else, they have responded by doing the easiest thing possible - long, detailed, and highly visible reviews of plays. They could have done the more difficult thing and reviewed the rulebook to bring it in line with the modern game, but that is difficult and costs money - so screw that.

fansince'76
02-02-2016, 10:49 AM
You can blame the TV broadcast and the internet. When the TV broadcasts repeatedly show hyper-slow-motion HD clips of the play(s) over and over again and have the announcers debate the "call" - it leads to a fallacy that their is a "correct" call for every play. And, yes, the tv broadcasts did this before the advent of challenge flags, etc. Unlike baseball and basketball, there is not a culture/perception that every call has an epic impact on the game and MUST be gotten RIGHT or the integrity of the game will suffer - or some such nonsense. Other sports seem to accept that "bang-bang" plays/calls happen. But not in football. Did you guys know that every week matters? It is a game of inches? Each play can swing the balance of each game? Whatever.

Then with the internet, any idiot with a keyboard and mouse can grab about a million screen caps of any given play, video clips, GIFS, whatever and trumpet from the mountaintops how their team was robbed by an incorrectly called play. This creates a perception of a massive groundswell of support for over officiating.

Since the NFL league offices are essentially a big PR firm and nothing else, they have responded by doing the easiest thing possible - long, detailed, and highly visible reviews of plays. They could have done the more difficult thing and reviewed the rulebook to bring it in line with the modern game, but that is difficult and costs money - so screw that.
No doubt. And the problem is exacerbated by people who really don't understand the rules to begin with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmd6H-27-s

:rolleyes:

It's also symptomatic of the "everybody gets a trophy and a pizza party because everybody's a winner!" PC-run-amok culture we live in, but that's a whole other thread topic entirely.

EzraTank
02-02-2016, 10:59 AM
If you watch the highlights of Superbowl 12 Butch Johnson's TD isn't even a catch today. He caught it rolled on the ground and left it sitting there. I'm not even sure it was a catch back then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ad3pDqFO4

tube517
02-02-2016, 11:05 AM
If you watch the highlights of Superbowl 12 Butch Johnson's TD isn't even a catch today. He caught it rolled on the ground and left it sitting there. I'm not even sure it was a catch back then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ad3pDqFO4

Alot of this "What is a catch" confusion started with the Bert Emmanuel catch (called not a catch) in the 1999 NFC Championship game (Tampa Bay vs St Louis). People think it's the Calvin Johnson play from a few years ago. It has become an absolute mess. Also, Troy's INT vs the Colts in 2005 playoffs made it a bigger deal.

Butch Johnson's "catch" is a definite non catch in today's rules.

86WARD
02-02-2016, 11:46 AM

No, no, no!! The league just wants to get it "right".

Mojouw
02-02-2016, 12:01 PM
It is also a culture in sports talk radio, internet coverage, etc to "blame" a loss on a single play or play sequence. If there is a "bad" call on scoring play - then that is what won/lost the game. What about ALL the other plays on the drive that one team didn't stop the other? What about the other 59 minutes or so of the game?

But it is an easy explanation to point to one thing and say "That. That right there. That is what is to blame for this thing I don't like. Someone needs to fix it for me."

As Fan76 said, this is being done all across society - easy explanations, with easy solutions, to fiendishly complex problems. Then everyone wonders why they don't work and the problems just get worse.

86WARD
02-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Alot of this "What is a catch" confusion started with the Bert Emmanuel catch (called not a catch) in the 1999 NFC Championship game (Tampa Bay vs St Louis). People think it's the Calvin Johnson play from a few years ago. It has become an absolute mess. Also, Troy's INT vs the Colts in 2005 playoffs made it a bigger deal.

Butch Johnson's "catch" is a definite non catch in today's rules.

Not even close to a catch by today's standards...lol.

Nadroj 20
02-03-2016, 02:28 PM
I don't think that's a catch by any standard.

ALLD
02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
I believe it is easier to not throw flags on the Pats to make it easier to officiate.