PDA

View Full Version : Position by position: DBs

hawaiiansteeler
01-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Position by position: DBs

by Ray Fittipaldo

Three of the four starting defensive backs are unrestricted free agents. The top nickel cornerback by season’s end is a free agent, too. Some of the reserves are reserves in name only and are on the roster to play special teams.

Yes, the Steelers have plenty of concerns at cornerback and safety entering the offseason, which is one of the reasons there is speculation they could address one of those positions in free agency before the draft later this spring.

Let’s start with the players the Steelers are likely to part ways with. The most obvious are Cortez Allen and Brandon Boykin. Allen appears to be a no-brainer. He never lived up to the $25 million contract he signed before the 2014 season and even though the dead money hit will hurt this season getting him off the books long-term will help readjust their finances going forward.

The Steelers used a fifth-round draft choice to acquire Boykin in July, but he didn’t break into the cornerback rotation until late in the season. He didn’t do a poor job once he was installed, but with rookie Senquez Golson playing the same position, slot corner, there is little reason to re-sign Boykin.

The Steelers never believed Boykin was an outside corner and played him almost exclusively in the slot. They figure to use Golson, at least at the beginning of his career, in the same role.

William Gay and Antwon Blake, the two outside corners who played the majority of the snaps, are also unrestricted free agents. Gay is the better player and even though he is 31 I think the Steelers will attempt to re-sign him. He is a versatile player that can play inside or outside.

That leaves the Steelers with a decision to make on Blake. If Gay is re-signed that would leave Ross Cockrell, whom the Steelers signed to a one-year deal, as the only other experienced corner on the roster.

The only way I see Blake returning is if he comes back for the veteran minimum or thereabouts. If that happens he can fill a special teams role and add depth at cornerback. He was the most targeted cornerback in the league, and even though he made some big plays, opposing quarterbacks also threw his way for a reason.

Doran Grant might be able to add depth at corner as well, but coach Mike Tomlin said he might be a candidate to move to safety. Either way, he did nothing in his rookie season to make anyone believe he can be a rotational player at corner in 2016.

The Steelers haven’t drafted a cornerback in the first round of the draft since 1997. The Steelers may or may not break that streak this spring, but they will almost certainly invest another draft pick or two in a cornerback even if they sign one in free agency.

At safety, Mike Mitchell had a solid season at free safety. Mitchell, who was healthy after an injury-riddled first season with the team, provided some big game-changing plays in a couple of important victories. He is the only starter in the defensive backfield that is sure to return next season.

The strong safety spot is one of the team’s biggest concerns. The Steelers brought back Will Allen on a one-year deal to provide depth behind Shamarko Thomas. But when Thomas couldn’t nail down the starting job in training camp Allen stepped in as the starter. He played OK, showing an ability to get home on blitzes, but he’s not a sure open-field tackler any longer. And his age is a concern. He will turn 34 in June.

Even if the Steelers bring him back as a depth player on another one-year deal they have to find a long-term replacement for him. Thomas, who was drafted in the fourth round in 2013 to fill that role, has faltered when given the opportunity and will have a hard time making the roster this summer.

Robert Golden, who filled in as Allen’s replacement for three games in the middle of the season when Allen was injured, is an unrestricted free agent. He might be someone the team wants to keep around as a top reserve and special teams player, but he is entering his fifth season. If he hasn’t ascended to a starting role yet it’s unlikely the team has him pegged as a future starter.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2016/01/27/Position-by-position-DBs.html

hawaiiansteeler
02-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Mock Draft Monday: Darian Thompson is the Steelers man with the 25th pick

By Jeff.Hartman on Feb 8, 2016

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/12P83qJzxU0fPsdRBtm3VPsJQMw=/0x157:3704x2626/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48756353/usa-today-8673728.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers need help in the secondary, and they address safety in the first round in the latest Mock Draft.

The 2015 NFL season is officially in the books, and now the majority of fans' attention turns to the upcoming NFL Draft. The Pittsburgh Steelers have holes which need to be filled, and cornerback and safety are two of the biggest holes. Luckily for Pittsburgh, the upcoming draft is filled with capable safeties and cornerbacks at every turn.

In the first round, with the 25th selection, there is a chance the Steelers don't select a cornerback, but rather look to the safety position. If available, they would have to look no further than Boise State safety Darian Thompson. In the latest mock draft by USA Today's Draft Wire, they have the athletic safety going to Pittsburgh in the first round.

See what they had to say about the selection:

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: S Darian Thompson, Boise State Broncos

Scouting Report:
The Steelers almost never stray from the Power Five conferences when drafting first round players, but for Thompson's well-rounded skill set, they need to make an exception. The Broncos safety is experienced, smart, athletic, and versatile, with the ability to play everywhere from single high to in the box. Thompson's ball skills on the back end and physicality against the run match what Pittsburgh looks for in their safety prospects, making this selection a great fit for a franchise that needs to add help in the secondary.

The 6-foot 2-inch safety has the type of tangible skills the Steelers look for in a safety prospect. Is he the next coming of Troy Polamalu? No, and there will probably never be another Polamalu, but what he could be is a major upgrade from the safeties the Steelers currently have on their roster.

In fact, the only safety other than Mike Mitchell who is set to return in 2016 is Shamarko Thomas. Both Will Allen and Robert Golden are set to hit free agency, and with neither player being the long-term solution alongside Mitchell, Thompson could be that player for years to come.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/2/8/10934770/mock-draft-monday-darian-thompson-is-the-steelers-man-with-the-25th

teegre
02-10-2016, 01:23 AM
Thompson would be a very, very good pick.

He's a true center-fielder type of FS. Think: Ed Reed. (No, he's nowhere near as good as Ed Reed, but he's that type of safety.) If he's drafted, I'd move Mike Mitchell to SS (which Mitchell is actually a better fit).

hawaiiansteeler
02-10-2016, 12:11 PM

He's a true center-fielder type of FS. Think: Ed Reed. (No, he's nowhere near as good as Ed Reed, but he's that type of safety.) If he's drafted, I'd move Mike Mitchell to SS (which Mitchell is actually a better fit).

1)25 Pittsburgh Steelers

DARIAN THOMPSON​
S, Boise State

We talked about “draft crushes” on last week’s On the Clock podcast, and Thompson was on that list for me even before he excelled at the Senior Bowl. The Boise State product was all over the field in Mobile, breaking up countless passes in drills. Adding Thompson would allow the Steelers to use hard hitter Mike Mitchell more often as an in-the-box defender.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/10/2016-nfl-mock-draft-laremy-tunsil-paxton-lynch-jalen-ramsey

teegre
02-10-2016, 03:20 PM
1)25 Pittsburgh Steelers

DARIAN THOMPSON​
S, Boise State

We talked about “draft crushes” on last week’s On the Clock podcast, and Thompson was on that list for me even before he excelled at the Senior Bowl. The Boise State product was all over the field in Mobile, breaking up countless passes in drills. Adding Thompson would allow the Steelers to use hard hitter Mike Mitchell more often as an in-the-box defender.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/10/2016-nfl-mock-draft-laremy-tunsil-paxton-lynch-jalen-ramsey

Yep.
Thompson would be a very good addition.

Born2Steel
02-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Safety seems the 1st round priority. Less draft depth at the position than other positions of need, plus the talent drop off. There are some intriguing CBs that will probably be there even as late as 3-4. If all are available, we can have our pick from, Thompson, Ramsey, Cash, Bell, or Cravens. I think any of these 5 would make a great Steelers safety.

Psycho Ward 86
02-10-2016, 08:15 PM

did he play there with the panthers?

teegre
02-10-2016, 10:25 PM
did he play there with the panthers?

You know, I thought he played SS for the Panthers, and that he switched to FS for the Steelers, because Troy was already the SS. Then again, the SS for Carolina might have been Quentin Mikell.

Mikell... Mitchell... my old eyes... :lol:

Regardless, I think Mitchell would be a better SS.

hawaiiansteeler
02-11-2016, 12:28 PM
At safety, the Steelers are in dire straits. Mike Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas are the only returning players with experience, while Will Allen and Robert Golden are set to hit the free agent market at the beginning of March when the new NFL year begins. It seems logical the team will look at free agency, and the upcoming Draft, to address this position.

Mayock's Top 5 Safeties:

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia
2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State
3. Darien Thompson, Boise State
4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah
5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/2/11/10965452/mike-mayocks-position-rankings-reveal-quality-options-for-the

teegre
02-11-2016, 02:49 PM
At safety, the Steelers are in dire straits. Mike Mitchell and Shamarko Thomas are the only returning players with experience, while Will Allen and Robert Golden are set to hit the free agent market at the beginning of March when the new NFL year begins. It seems logical the team will look at free agency, and the upcoming Draft, to address this position.

Mayock's Top 5 Safeties:

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia
2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State
3. Darien Thompson, Boise State
4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah
5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/2/11/10965452/mike-mayocks-position-rankings-reveal-quality-options-for-the

Could Karl Joseph go in R1... even despite his knee injury?

Maybe so. The kid is really good.

hawaiiansteeler
02-11-2016, 06:49 PM

Karl Joseph had 5 interceptions in the first 4 games of the season before he got hurt. extrapolate that out to a full season and he would have made 14 ints...

yes, he really is that good.

86WARD
02-11-2016, 06:58 PM
I feel like whomever the Steelers select (CB-wise), it's gonna wind up being a dud. Call me shell-shocked, but I have zero confidence that they will get a decent CB in the draft.

teegre
02-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Karl Joseph had 5 interceptions in the first 4 games of the season before he got hurt. extrapolate that out to a full season and he would have made 14 ints...

yes, he really is that good.

Exactamundo.

He's always been known as thumper. There's a YouTube video of him entitled "Karl Josrph kills (name)". :lol:

Anyway, many felt that he was merely a hitter, but were unsure about his coverage skills. Well, he went and led the NCAA in INTs. Yep, he's the whole package.

I just figured that a knee injury would drop him down a round. I guess not.

B&GFever
02-11-2016, 09:43 PM
the guy many are over looking is clearly Su'a Cravens , probably a lot of that has to do with the fact he moved to LB last year but if you plug in his 2014 tape where he was at S ... well you have a completely different story

many claim he is the next Troy ( provided you believe in such a thing )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5nDbHv_gM

teegre
02-11-2016, 10:24 PM
the guy many are over looking is clearly Su'a Cravens

We are currently discussing Karl Joseph's draft position before and after his knee injury. That does not mean we've forgotten about Su'a Cravens.

We've actually discussed him a lot... :huh:

B&GFever
02-12-2016, 01:23 AM
We are currently discussing Karl Joseph's draft position before and after his knee injury. That does not mean we've forgotten about Su'a Cravens.

We've actually discussed him a lot... :huh:

in this thread , Mayocks list etc

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2016, 11:35 AM
in this thread , Mayocks list etc

Mayock didn't forget him, he just doesn't think Cravens is one of the top 5 safeties or outside linebackers right now.

but let's see what those ranking lists look like after the Combine, I'm sure they'll all change quite a bit.

polamalubeast
02-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Ex-Steelers CB Brice McCain One And Done With Dolphins

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/218993/

hawaiiansteeler
02-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Kevin in Punxsy: Do you think that the Steelers will bring back Antwon Blake, whose ranking among DBs is very near the bottom.

Ed Bouchette: I think they will try. Keenan Lewis once ranked near the bottom of those Pro Football Focus ratings too and when he left, it was like Rod Woodson had left them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/02/18/Ed-Bouchette-s-chat-transcript-1-18-16/stories/201602180201

Shoes
02-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Kevin in Punxsy: Do you think that the Steelers will bring back Antwon Blake, whose ranking among DBs is very near the bottom.

Ed Bouchette: I think they will try. Keenan Lewis once ranked near the bottom of those Pro Football Focus ratings too and when he left, it was like Rod Woodson had left them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/02/18/Ed-Bouchette-s-chat-transcript-1-18-16/stories/201602180201

Good old Ed, wonder if he's been ripping-off anymore of Alex's articles?

salamander
02-21-2016, 08:42 PM
Good old Ed, wonder if he's been ripping-off anymore of Alex's articles?

I gave up on reading any of Ed Bullshit's reports. I rank him up there with Ian Make-up-a-report. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
02-23-2016, 02:22 PM

Steelers 2016 Draft Prospect Breakdown: West Virginia Safety Karl Joseph

By Andrew.Kipp

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/7VqSoAowPxE77KveuCQKIz2eTGE=/0x544:3456x2848/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48898357/usa-today-8796662.0.jpg

West Virginia safety Karl Joseph was on pace for a prolific senior campaign before suffering a season-ending injury to his ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) during a non-contact practice drill in early October. Will he be on the board when the Steelers are on the clock in the second round?

Karl "the Hitman" Joseph is one of the more intriguing prospects in the 2016 draft class. A violent tackler, Joseph was considered a sure-fire fist rounder before suffering a season-ending ACL injury during a non-contact practice drill in early October. Through the first four games of his senior campaign, the undersized safety recorded an FBS-leading five interceptions, three of which came in the season opener against Georgia Southern. Following his outstanding performance in the 44-0 blowout win, Joseph was named Big 12 player of the week, and national player of the week by the Football Writers Association of America.

Joseph underwent a successful surgery to repair his ACL on October 13, 2015. The operation was performed by world-renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews. Joseph has spent the last several months rehabbing in preparation for the 2016 NFL Draft, but it's unlikely he'll be able to show case his skills at the NFL Combine, which is set to begin Tuesday, February 23. His draft stock will depend heavily on whether or not he can participate at West Virginia's pro day in April

Joseph made a name for himself at West Virginia as one of the hardest hitting defenders in the nation. His play at the back end of the Mountaineer defense over the past three seasons is best characterized by a total lack of regard for his own body when attacking ball carriers at the line of scrimmage, or flying at receivers in space.

But Joseph is more than just a thumper. He finished his college career with nine interceptions, and possesses the speed and athleticism to play center field, and make plays on the ball down field. He was also the Mountaineers' team captain as a junior and senior, and a leader on and off the field. The standout safety started every game throughout his freshman, sophomore and junior seasons, and started all 38 games in which he played.

Physical Tools

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 197 lbs.

Statistics

2012: 104 tackles, 7 tackles-for-loss, 2 interceptions, 6 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 1 sack

2013: 68 tackles, 3 tackles-for-loss, 1 interception, 4 passes defensed

2014: 92 tackles, 4.5 tackles-for-loss, 1 interception, 3 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles

2015: 20 tackles, 5 interceptions, 1 pass defensed, 1 sack

Awards

2012 West Virginia Defensive Player of the Year
2012 Freshman All-America
2013 All-Big 12 Conference Honorable Mention
2014 All-Big 12 Conference First Team

Projection

NFL Draft analyst Mike Mayock recently published his list of top five players at every position for the 2016 NFL Draft, and he has Joseph ranked as the No. 1 safety prospect ahead of Vonn Bell, Darian Thompson, Miles Killebrew and Jeremy Cash. Joseph will surely be invited to participate at the 2016 NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis next week, but it's unlikely he'll be able to participate. Therefore, his draft stock will depend heavily on whether or not he can perform at West Virginia's pro day in April. Due to the uncertainty surrounding his ACL injury, most NFL scouts and draft pundits have him being selected in the second or third round.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/2/23/11082266/steelers-2016-draft-prospect-breakdown-west-virginia-safety-karl

teegre
02-24-2016, 11:42 AM
I said it in another thread, but it bears iteration: there will be a very, very good safety available at 58.

Su'a Cravens
Karl Jospeh
Darian Thomspon
Vonn Bell
Mikes Killabrew

The question becomes:
Do you take the pick of the litter at 25?... or, take whomever is remaining at 58???

hawaiiansteeler
02-24-2016, 12:13 PM
I said it in another thread, but it bears iteration: there will be a very, very good safety available at 58.

Su'a Cravens
Karl Jospeh
Darian Thomspon
Vonn Bell
Miles Killebrew

The question becomes:
Do you take the pick of the litter at 25?... or, take whomever is remaining at 58???

I believe better value can be found at another position in Round 1, but if any of the safeties you have listed above (I would also add Duke's Jeremy Cash) are still sitting there at 2(58) the Steelers are going to be very tempted to draft one of them.

teegre
02-24-2016, 12:51 PM
I believe better value can be found at another position in Round 1, but if any of the safeties you have listed above (I would also add Duke's Jeremy Cash) are still sitting there at 2(58) the Steelers are going to be very tempted to draft one of them.

That's how I'm leaning, as well.

Cyphon25
02-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Su'a Cravens
Karl Jospeh
Darian Thomspon
Vonn Bell
Mikes Killabrew

The question becomes:

Depends on who your other options are in round 1.

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2016, 08:29 PM
NFL Rumors - Feb 26 Updates:

The Cardinals and Steelers are suitors for FS Keanu Neal in the first round. - Tony Pauline, WalterFootball.com

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#l2XQTj2s5rJ6z3gZ.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nzVdpia6M

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2016, 02:22 PM
James C Wexell Retweeted
Dan Hope ‏@Dan_Hope

#Clemson safety Jayron Kearse said he has NFL team visits lined up with the #Buccaneers, #Lions, #Jaguars, #Saints and #Steelers.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor