PDA

View Full Version : Ten worst QB playoff performances(Kordell Stewart is number 2)

polamalubeast
01-26-2016, 03:14 PM
You have company, Carson Palmer.

With a spot in Super Bowl 50 at stake, the Cardinals' MVP candidate turned the ball over six times in an NFC title game showing that was erratic, to say the least. It was one of the most disappointing performances in a big moment from a quarterback in the modern era. But was it among the 10 worst?

Below is a look at the 10 worst performances from quarterbacks in the playoffs since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970. Two things to note: 1) Super Bowls were not included, as we wanted to focus on the games you have to win to get there, and 2) the stakes are as relevant as the stats. Quarterbacks on top-seeded teams, or whose mistakes led to a lesser team pulling off the upset, dominate the list. Sad note: Most of the QB's on our list were dominant at one time or another, just not in these games.

2) Kordell Stewart, Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 and 2001

1997 AFC Championship Game: Broncos 24, Steelers 21

2001 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 24, Steelers 17

OK, so we're cheating a bit by listing two games here, but we couldn't separate them. In 1997, the second-seeded Steelers lost at home to the Broncos when Kordell Stewart turned the ball over four times. The 2001 Pittsburgh team had new digs, the best defense in the league and the No. 1 seed in the AFC. Unfortunately, Stewart could not overcome himself. New England didn't have anywhere near as good a defense as Pittsburgh's, and the Patriots were forced to play Drew Bledsoe when Tom Brady went down. Yet, Stewart missed open receivers, lost a fumble in his own territory (the Steelers' defense bailed him out) and threw two picks on the final two drives in a one-score game. This was one of the most devastating losses of the Bill Cowher era.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000628659/carson-palmer-donovan-mcnabb-among-10-biggest-playoff-disappointments

zulater
01-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Kordell finally getting the recognition he so richly deserves! :chuckle:

I hope Neil O'Donnell is in there somewhere too!

Edman
01-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Korkie Stewart getting his rightful due.

He was a terrible QB.

tube517
01-26-2016, 03:37 PM
I remember the '79 Fouts game. Honestly, I was relieved. We got crushed by the Bolts earlier that year 35-7. 4 picks and Vernon Perry was a name I never forgot.

The Sipe '80 game. Wow. The Stains were actually the Cardiac Kids that year and Sipe had a fantastic year. I hated the Raiders alot and couldn't believe a wild card team could go all the way.

I black out those AFCC games under Kordell.:hippo:

fansince'76
01-26-2016, 03:58 PM
I remember the '79 Fouts game. Honestly, I was relieved. We got crushed by the Bolts earlier that year 35-7. 4 picks and Vernon Perry was a name I never forgot.

Not me, for several reasons. The Steelers were a different animal in the playoffs in those days, and by contrast, Air Coryell's Chargers consistently came up short in the postseason. On top of that, the Steelers would have carried a huge chip on their shoulder into a playoff game with the Chargers that year, due to the regular season drubbing they got. I truly believe that Bradshaw, Stallworth and Swann would have had a field day against that crappy D.

ALLD
01-26-2016, 04:23 PM
What was Cowher thinking with Stewart? As dumb as Tomlin gets keeping certain players on the field there is no dispute that Kordell Stewart was the worst placement in modern times.

zulater
01-26-2016, 04:44 PM
What was Cowher thinking with Stewart? As dumb as Tomlin gets keeping certain players on the field there is no dispute that Kordell Stewart was the worst placement in modern times.

Kordell was an exciting player in 95 and 96. He had some great games in 97. Yeah he was unconventional, but the league hadn't figured him out yet and he helped the Steelers have a pretty good season. Obviously he effed up the AFC title game, but at the same token the Broncos were the better team in the regular season, and he was young enough that he deserved some benefit of the doubt. Few were calling for Kordell's head (outside of Schenley Park :heh: sorry couldn't resist) at that time. And then after straight crappy years, seasons that would have seen any other player released, he actually rebounded and had a decent 2001. He was actually in the MVP conversation that season. But as always water finds its level and he crapped out in the playoffs and Cowher finally decided enough was enough. But in the end bottom line as the situation evolved Cowher didn't really have any better options at the time. The guys brought in to challenge Kordell were equally or more inept. Truthfully had Cowher had his way the Steelers would have resigned Neil O'Dummy and he would have kept Kordell in the slash role, where he belonged.

86WARD
01-26-2016, 07:34 PM
2001 was a Patriots Cheat year...no? I'll give Kordell a break on that one...lol.

If he would have stayed as "Slash", he would have been super special...

teegre
01-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Here's what remember about 1997:
Bettis was unstoppable. Yet, they kept having Kordell throw it. If they keep running Bettis, the Steelers win.

fansince'76
01-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Bettis was unstoppable. Yet, they kept having Kordell throw it. If they keep running Bettis, the Steelers win.

2nd and goal, Broncos' 5-yard line, trailing 24-14. Instead of handing off to Bettis, who had been running roughshod over the Broncos all day up to that point, Cowher puts it in Kordell's hands, and he promptly throws an INT into triple coverage in the end zone. :frusty:

zulater
01-27-2016, 05:46 AM
2nd and goal, Broncos' 5-yard line, trailing 24-14. Instead of handing off to Bettis, who had been running roughshod over the Broncos all day up to that point, Cowher puts it in Kordell's hands, and he promptly throws an INT into triple coverage in the end zone. :frusty:

Chan Gailey was the OC at the time. You tend to shield Tomlin from offensive gaffes by the current Steelers by blaming Haley for whatever goes wrong on that side of the ball. Shouldn't Cowher get equal consideration? Fair is fair. I know you're not a fan of Cowher but similar to Tomlin I think he entrusted the offense to his offensive coordinaters for the most part.

zulater
01-27-2016, 05:59 AM

I don't think he threw it that many times. Just when he did it screwed up everything! :lol: But I do agree with you that the Broncos had no answer for Bettis that day. I wish that Gailey would have stuck with what was working. Still the most pivotal play in the game was the 2nd and 5 play action from just past midfield ( I think?) Bettis was mowing through the Broncos to that point, but at the same token you would have thought that the Broncos were set up perfectly for play action. To their credit they weren't suckered, they had Thigpen double covered. But still there was no reason for Kordell to force the ball into said double coverage. He could have thrown it away or scrambled. So I still think Kordell gets a big share of the blame.

teegre
01-27-2016, 06:33 AM
I don't think he threw it that many times. Just when he did it screwed up everything! :lol: But I do agree with you that the Broncos had no answer for Bettis that day. I wish that Gailey would have stuck with what was working. Still the most pivotal play in the game was the 2nd and 5 play action from just past midfield ( I think?) Bettis was mowing through the Broncos to that point, but at the same token you would have thought that the Broncos were set up perfectly for play action. To their credit they weren't suckered, they had Thigpen double covered. But still there was no reason for Kordell to force the ball into said double coverage. He could have thrown it away or scrambled. So I still think Kordell gets a big share of the blame.

I had forgotten about that. In Kordell's defense, just a few weeks earlier against that same Broncos team, he had hit Yancey on a similar play... except, this time, Yancey wasn't open (i.e. Kordell forced it).

The interception that I vividly recall was near the goal-line. I kept thinking: "Give it to Bettis." Instead, Kordell dropped back, didn't read the defense, and threw a backbreaker. Here's the part that is ingrained in my mind: Bill Romanowski walked up to Kordell, and Bill banged the front of his helmet repeatedly while saying: "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb..."

tube517
01-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Not me, for several reasons. The Steelers were a different animal in the playoffs in those days, and by contrast, Air Coryell's Chargers consistently came up short in the postseason. On top of that, the Steelers would have carried a huge chip on their shoulder into a playoff game with the Chargers that year, due to the regular season drubbing they got. I truly believe that Bradshaw, Stallworth and Swann would have had a field day against that crappy D.

Yeah, I know. It was the year where the defense truly looked mortal w/age and injuries. Losing to the Bungles 34-10, losing to the Bolts 35-7, barely beating the Stains at home in OT (33-30, I think that was the game LC took over in the 4th quarter w/3 sacks in the quarter), and that heartbreaking loss (memorable onside kick attempt) to the Oilers on MNF. Those last 2 were classic games.

Memories of my youth. Not commenting on the Kordell experiment and failure in AFCC games. Too many mental wounds to revisit. :lol:

fansince'76
01-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Chan Gailey was the OC at the time. You tend to shield Tomlin from offensive gaffes by the current Steelers by blaming Haley for whatever goes wrong on that side of the ball. Shouldn't Cowher get equal consideration? Fair is fair. I know you're not a fan of Cowher but similar to Tomlin I think he entrusted the offense to his offensive coordinaters for the most part.

Fair enough. It was a bad call in hindsight, regardless of whom was responsible for making it.

fansince'76
01-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I know. It was the year where the defense truly looked mortal w/age and injuries. Losing to the Bungles 34-10, losing to the Bolts 35-7, barely beating the Stains at home in OT (33-30, I think that was the game LC took over in the 4th quarter w/3 sacks in the quarter), and that heartbreaking loss (memorable onside kick attempt) to the Oilers on MNF. Those last 2 were classic games.

How do you remember all that? It's all a blur to me now in my old age. :old: :chuckle:

tube517
01-27-2016, 08:13 AM
How do you remember all that? It's all a blur to me now in my old age. :old: :chuckle:

LOL...Expensive Ray bans.

The 79 America's Game documentary had the thing about LC and his 3 sacks in the 4th quarter (I think it was Banaszak in the documentary saying he never saw a more dominant performance as LC that day)....I remember that Stains game/ending because that was the first time I may have needed to call an ambulance for an 11 year old (me) for cardiac arrest. :chuckle: :old:

Oilers game/MNF/Howard +Dandy Don and Frank.. (had to sneak to the TV late to watch)..onside kick...Astrodome...Luv Ya Blue signs all over the place...Earl Campbell (Skoal brutha)..White Shoes....that was real football. One of Howard's best games IMHO.

GoSlash27
01-27-2016, 04:31 PM

I was a Stewart fan back then and I still am. He could've been epic if they hadn't forced him into being something he wasn't.

86WARD
01-27-2016, 04:43 PM
I was a Stewart fan back then and I still am. He could've been epic if they hadn't forced him into being something he wasn't.

Same boat. I could watch his "Slash" highlight real over and over.

slashsteel
01-27-2016, 04:49 PM

this

zulater
01-27-2016, 04:57 PM

He wasn't forced, it's what he wanted, what he envisioned himself to be. He had enough ability to be a top 10 qb of his time. He just didn't have the brain.Not saying he was dumb per say. But to play qb in the NFL you can't go too far if you never get past one read and run. If his first read was covered he either forced the ball into coverage, pulled the ball down and ran, or got sacked.

fansince'76
01-27-2016, 08:19 PM
He wasn't forced, it's what he wanted, what he envisioned himself to be. He had enough ability to be a top 10 qb of his time. He just didn't have the brain.Not saying he was dumb per say. But to play qb in the NFL you can't go too far if you never get past one read and run. If his first read was covered he either forced the ball into coverage, pulled the ball down and ran, or got sacked.

And if his first read was open, it was even money whether he'd either rocket the ball ten feet over the guy's head, one-hop it in the dirt in front of him, or actually manage to deliver a catchable pass.

Having a strong arm with zero accuracy doesn't get one too far as a QB in the NFL either.

tube517
01-28-2016, 08:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryyNj5HFjA0

fansince'76
01-28-2016, 09:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryyNj5HFjA0

If it weren't for his stubborn insistence about playing QB, he could have very possibly been a HoF-worthy WR.

SteelersProfessor
01-28-2016, 11:28 AM
I had forgotten about that. In Kordell's defense, just a few weeks earlier against that same Broncos team, he had hit Yancey on a similar play... except, this time, Yancey wasn't open (i.e. Kordell forced it).

The interception that I vividly recall was near the goal-line. I kept thinking: "Give it to Bettis." Instead, Kordell dropped back, didn't read the defense, and threw a backbreaker. Here's the part that is ingrained in my mind: Bill Romanowski walked up to Kordell, and Bill banged the front of his helmet repeatedly while saying: "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb..."

Johnson was open, but Kordell held it too long. By the time he let go CJ was blanketed.

They all screwed it up with Kordell. Cowher, Donahoe, even Dan Rooney. They ALL wanted him to be their long term guy.

Godfather
01-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Speaking of the Broncos AFCCG, anyone else remember the Bubthumper song?

86WARD
01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
I hated the jerseys that had just the black letters on the name plate. Not sure why, but that just annoyed me...lol.

SteelersProfessor
01-29-2016, 09:08 PM
They need to go back to the block numbers too.

Mojouw
01-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Kordell was an exciting player in 95 and 96. He had some great games in 97. Yeah he was unconventional, but the league hadn't figured him out yet and he helped the Steelers have a pretty good season. Obviously he effed up the AFC title game, but at the same token the Broncos were the better team in the regular season, and he was young enough that he deserved some benefit of the doubt. Few were calling for Kordell's head (outside of Schenley Park :heh: sorry couldn't resist) at that time. And then after straight crappy years, seasons that would have seen any other player released, he actually rebounded and had a decent 2001. He was actually in the MVP conversation that season. But as always water finds its level and he crapped out in the playoffs and Cowher finally decided enough was enough. But in the end bottom line as the situation evolved Cowher didn't really have any better options at the time. The guys brought in to challenge Kordell were equally or more inept. Truthfully had Cowher had his way the Steelers would have resigned Neil O'Dummy and he would have kept Kordell in the slash role, where he belonged.

Kordell was RGIII, Geno Smith, Akili Smith, Rob Johnson, who is that kid out of Arkansas that the Jags drafted and then got caught sniffing blow? Anyways, you can't learn to read defenses on the fly at the NFL level. Stewart had so much athletic talent, that prior to the NFL level he was never had to learn how to actually play QB, he just got by on raw talent.

CapLovesTroyP43
01-31-2016, 03:48 PM
2001 was a Patriots Cheat year...no? I'll give Kordell a break on that one...lol.

If he would have stayed as "Slash", he would have been super special...

I agree completely with this statement.