PDA

View Full Version : An informed look at the Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents

hawaiiansteeler
01-25-2016, 03:36 PM
An informed look at the Pittsburgh Steelers' plan for their 21 free agents.

by JIM WEXELL

Just showing up is most of the battle and Jim Wexell's been showing up for 21 years. Here's his take on the Steelers' plan for their potential free agents.

The department heads for the Pittsburgh Steelers will soon meet with the Rooneys to formulate a plan for free agency, but we in the media have no reason to wait because we already know everything.

Or some things.

Well, some of us know a few things we've been told about particular players over the last year or so.

Not that one coach's or personnel man's opinion will stand for what comes out of the upcoming meeting, but it makes for informed and educated guesses. So here's my look at how the Steelers will handle their 21-man class of potential free agents:

SS Will Allen -- Coming off a very productive season but will be 34 on opening day. The team can put him on the backburner until they see what else comes their way at the position.

OL Kelvin Beachum -- If you ask anyone in a position of power, they'll tell you Beachum is a definite keeper. But in my opinion, Alejandro Villanueva locked up the starting left tackle position with his stunning improvement down the stretch. Beachum, the previous starter at left tackle, can also play guard, even at 303 pounds, and the coaches love his brains, heart and work ethic. If the medical heads agree (tore left ACL on Oct. 18), I expect the Steelers to make Beachum a priority for the left guard position. It will be up to him whether he wants to play there at a price that should be team-friendly, considering the medical question mark. There's little to no chance the Steelers will ask him to come back as a reserve, and even less chance they'll deem Villanueva a reserve as a healthy player with better size and potential.

CB Antwon Blake -- The Steelers didn't stick by Blake through his growing pains -- and broken hand -- just to let him leave without offering another contract. He's at least a core special-teamer, and possibly even more if they can't find an adequate replacement at cornerback. They'll have to offer him more than a minimum-wage contract, too, because someone else will.

CB Brandon Boykin -- His inability to grasp the defense is the reason, according to coaches, that he didn't play much until midseason. His mental error on third-and-12 against Denver won't help that perception either. While the Steelers aren't about to peg last year's second-round pick, Senquez Golson, as a slot-only corner without giving him a legitimate chance outside upon his return from a year-long stint on IR, coaches realize that the slot is a place where smart, instinctive and small corners usually end up. That will most likely keep their interest in Boykin below the rest of the league's, and Boykin will no doubt chase the better offer instead of fighting for scraps of playing time here again.

OG Ramon Foster -- So much to like about this six-year starting guard, but when I asked two different coaches over the last two seasons whether Beachum is a guy they'll always be looking to replace, the exact answer each time was "No, but Ramon Foster is." Yes, the Steelers want more mobility at left guard, and my belief is they'll look to Beachum first. Foster is the fallback. It's unlikely they'll sign both.

ILB Terence Garvin -- A restricted free agent, the possibility exists that they won't tender Garvin and instead attempt to bring him back at minimum wage and save about $900,000. He's No. 5 in a four-man group with Jordan Zumwalt back in the mix next camp.

CB William Gay -- Coaches say he's easily the smartest defensive back they have. But he's 31 years old and the Steelers aren't going to break their bank account for him, and therein lies the danger because a couple other defensive coordinators out there -- Dick LeBeau and Ray Horton -- know and appreciate Gay and might do just that.

DE Clifton Geathers -- The Steelers liked what they saw out from this massive man last spring, but a week into training camp he could barely move, and with that gray patch of hair the then-27-year-old looked like an old man hobbling around the St. Vincent campus. Miniumum-wage, one-year offer if anything.

S Robert Golden -- Might be the first guy they attempt to bring back. At 25, he showed he could play both safety spots, the dime spot in the box, and was the captain of the special teams. His coaches love him and he looked like a guy who can start, and his time may be now.

QB Bruce Gradkowski -- Will have to show there's some life left in an arm that forced him to IR in training camp. Well-liked by players, coaches and media, and since Pittsburgh's his hometown he's more likely to move into coaching or media next season.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey -- Perfect No. 4 receiver because he has the attitude to understand that the No. 5, Sammie Coates, could move past him at any time. Only problem is that DHB showed enough as both a receiver and special-teamer this past season that the Steelers probably can't get away with offering him the one-year, minimum-wage deal he signed last year. Look for the Steelers to up the ante a bit this time around.

TE/FB Will Johnson -- An easy call for me. I bring Johnson back with a cheap two or three-year contract. Versatile, smart and plays a position that's looking at age issues.

G/C Doug Legursky -- Little room with Maurkice Pouncey coming back.

NT/DT Steve McLendon -- I see no signs of wear on the 30-year-old who plays a key position on a line that will be counting on the development of two unheralded youngsters for its depth next season. Has to be a top priority.

WR David Nelson -- Since they kept the 6-5 veteran on IR all season, expect him back.

ILB Sean Spence -- Like Garvin, shouldn't expect much of an offer with the depth at the position. Great attitude and work ethic but if another team makes a decent offer the Steelers probably won't match it.

OT Byron Stingily -- Was signed after Beachum's injury because of a past with position coach Mike Munchak. Remained on the roster even though the Steelers liked the practice squad tackle (Bloomsburg's Matt Feiler) enough to give him a futures contract last week. So I'm assuming Stingily can play a little.

DE/DT Cam Thomas -- Played only 14 snaps in the playoffs. Surely that can be replaced by L.T. Walton or Caushaud Lyons next season.

RB Jordan Todman -- Flashed legitimate quickness in the playoffs and deserves a bonus and multi-year, minimum-wage deal to serve as the No. 4 back, which is needed with DeAngelo Williams turning 33 and coming off a foot injury.

QB Mike Vick -- Tomlin will have to give up on the Chesapeake Bay product whom he's admired for years.

LS Greg Warren -- The ageless long-snapper is one of the best in the business. Keep those one-year deals a-comin'.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1635136-inside-look-at-steelers-free-agents

hawaiiansteeler
01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agents: Cornerbacks

By Jeff.Hartman on Jan 25, 2016

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/RKV4Xp1gLmKRWftA9pYvaQacdWc=/0x15:3061x2056/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48632785/usa-today-9064065.0.jpg

We begin our breakdown of the Pittsburgh Steelers free agents by position with the infamous cornerbacks who might seek employment elsewhere in 2016.

Throughout the next few weeks, BTSC will be breaking down the 2016 free agents on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster by position. We will look at every position and the players who could be looking for new scenery next season, and what better place to start than the highly debated cornerback position.

Steelers Cornerback Free Agents:

Antwon Blake - UFA - $1,542,000 (Current Salary)
William Gay - UFA - $1,500,000
Brandon Boykin - UFA - $626,367
Ross Cockrell - ERFA - Signed a one-year deal with the Steelers

The Steelers might see the biggest turnover next season in their secondary, and a large part of that is the fact 3/4 of their starting cornerbacks could be leaving via free agency. If Blake, Gay and Boykin would all leave before 2016, it would leave Ross Cockrell and Doran Grant as the only cornerbacks on the roster with game experience within the Steelers' system.

Senquez Golson, the team's 2nd round draft pick in 2015, will be in the lineup next season, but to think the Steelers will let all three of these defensive backs jettison for greener pastures is difficult to fathom. So, I think everyone reading this can agree not all three defensive backs will return, but which ones will stay and go?

The Steelers would be foolish to let William Gay even entertain the thought of leaving. Not only has he left before only to return to the team who drafted him, but he has found a home within the Steelers' defensive system. Gay was more than just the best cornerback on the team this past season, he was a defensive leader. Gay played in 16 games this year, had two interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown, and was a part of 46 tackles.

If Gay is priority No. 1, then who else stays and goes?

Unfortunately, the way the Steelers handled Brandon Boykin in 2015 likely means he has already left town with no thought of even returning. The Steelers would have to shell out a lot of money to bring Boykin back, and his play down the stretch could have put his price tag out of the Steelers' prince range.

What about Antwon Blake? Blake was about as bad, and inconsistent, as any cornerback in the NFL. He was repeatedly targeted by opposing quarterbacks and abused regularly. In fact, Pro Football Focus had him ranked as the second worst CB in the NFL. All of this will make him a very unappealing option for teams looking to upgrade at the cornerback position. Mike Tomlin like Blake and his style of play, and Blake has proven to be a valuable asset on special teams. Don't be shocked if Blake is back in black and gold next season.

Prediction: If I were to predict who would stay and leave from this group, I would say Gay re-signs with the team, Boykin leaves in free agency and Blake is brought back as experienced depth and special teams. It won't be popular, but it could be effective if Blake isn't relied upon as an every day starter. The team will still have to address this position either in free agency or the draft.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/1/25/10822516/2016-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agents-cornerbacks

hawaiiansteeler
01-28-2016, 12:55 PM
William Gay Returning to Pittsburgh is No Sure Thing

Jan 27, 2016

http://steelcityblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/www.foxsports.com_.jpg

For the past several off-season, I feel I’ve written way too much about the Steelers not selecting a cornerback in the first round. I’ll probably do the same this off-season.

I believe if the Steelers staff had their way, that they cornerback depth chart would look pretty similar in 2016 as it did in 2015. The exceptions being Brandon Boykin leaving, Cortez Allen being cut, and maybe one newcomer from free agency or the mid-rounds of the draft.

I’ve seen plenty of local Pittsburgh writers mention William Gay as the most likely free agent to return to the team in 2016.

I can see plenty of reasons why William Gay would want to stay in Pittsburgh, but I could also see just as many reasons for leaving.

The two biggest pros for staying in the Steelers organization have to be the chance at winning another championship, and his comfort in the scheme, locker room, and community.

That being said though, I think there may be more demand that people expect once Gay hits the open market. Two really strong possibilities to me are Cleveland and Tennessee…

In Tennessee, William Gay would be reunited with the man that’s been his defensive coordinator for most of his career; Dick Lebeau. The Titans have a need at cornerback with Perrish Cox not playing well last season. A veteran like Gay would also be a welcomed addition into a locker room that hasn’t had much experience winning like Gay has. The Titans also recently hired Deshea Townsend to coach their cornerbacks. There would be plenty of familiar faces in Tennessee.

William Gay has played under just 3 defensive coordinators in his career. Dick Lebeau for most of it, Keith Butler this season… and newly appointed Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. Horton coached Gay in Arizona in Gay’s lone season outside the Steelers franchise, and was Gay’s defensive back coach for some time in Pittsburgh as well. Cleveland has some talent at the cornerback position, but with a new coaching staff you often see teams bring in familiar faces.

Outside of those guys (Lebeau and Horton) being familiar with Gay, he also just had a really good season as a slot cornerback. There’s a reason you didn’t hear Gay’s name called very often (outside of the occasional pick 6 and ensuing celebration).

When playing in the slot, there are very few cornerbacks in the league that play as well as Gay has over the past several years. When he moves outside, his production isn’t as good but he’s still not a liability.

I really think if he wanted to, that Gay could demand a pretty decent final contract extension on the open market, and get more elsewhere than he would from the Steelers.

Plenty of fans think it’d be a forgone conclusion that Gay would rather play for a contender and a chance at another Superbowl ring. Think about it though. Sure, it’s probably every player’s dream to win a Superbowl, but Gay has already done that. What exactly does winning another one do for him personally? Getting 2 rings instead of 1 isn’t going to put Gay in the Hall of Fame, it’s not going to establish some legacy of an all-time great. He’ll be a solid contributor on a championship team.

I’m not trying to take anything away from Gay, it’s just winning another Superbowl doesn’t do a whole lot for him personally. He’s also not a guy that’s made a ton of money by NFL player standards in his career, and this is probably his last contract.

He’d be great to have back, but I wouldn’t bet my money on it.

http://steelcityblitz.com/2016/01/27/william-gay-returning-to-pittsburgh-is-no-sure-thing/

SteelersProfessor
01-28-2016, 12:57 PM
I stopped at Jim Wexell

On the blitz piece, I can't see Gay just chasing money from a doormat. He's smarter than that.

Rotorhead
01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Does Gay have a ring already from his time with us before? That is the question. If not he would be stupid to leave, if so then he may seek a bigger payday. All the FA talk leaves on thing out when talking about older Vets . . . they already got their payday, they are all looking for a ring and we are one of the top contenders next season. If they are truly looking for that ring, then we all the sudden become an enticing option. Our best window for #7 is next season (after that there will be alot of key FA's) and don't think vets are discounting that.

teegre
01-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Does Gay have a ring already from his time with us before? That is the question. If not he would be stupid to leave, if so then he may seek a bigger payday. All the FA talk leaves on thing out when talking about older Vets . . . they already got their payday, they are all looking for a ring and we are one of the top contenders next season. If they are truly looking for that ring, then we all the sudden become an enticing option. Our best window for #7 is next season (after that there will be alot of key FA's) and don't think vets are discounting that.

He got a ring in 2008.

I'd bet $20 that he stays. He left, and didn't like it. There's a reason that he cam back here.

Devilsdancefloor
01-28-2016, 08:17 PM
He got a ring in 2008.

I'd bet $20 that he stays. He left, and didn't like it. There's a reason that he cam back here.

QFT he stays and retires a Steeler

Steeldude
01-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Will Johnson would be s pointless signing. Nix has shown he can take over. He is also pretty good on special teams.

Mojouw
01-28-2016, 10:04 PM
Will Johnson would be s pointless signing. Nix has shown he can take over. He is also pretty good on special teams.

He should have the added bonus of being cheaper. Hasn't Johnson been around long enough to qualify for some sort of CBA mandated vet minimum?

tube517
01-28-2016, 10:29 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/roosevelt-nix-setting-the-tone-on-special-teams/

Rotorhead
01-29-2016, 10:39 AM
I hope he stays, but if he has a ring AND Lebeau offers him a bigger payday he could very well leave. Our secondary was the big ? coming into this season and it is still the big ? heading out of it. C Allen really screwed up our plans that is for sure.

hawaiiansteeler
02-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers:

2/2: "Don't be surprised" if Brandon Boykin re-signs with the Steelers.

- Jeremy Fowler, ESPN

http://www.walterfootball.com/nflrumors/freeagency

Psycho Ward 86
02-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers:

2/2: "Don't be surprised" if Brandon Boykin re-signs with the Steelers.

- Jeremy Fowler, ESPN

http://www.walterfootball.com/nflrumors/freeagency

that would be great offseason news. if Gay leaves for bigger money, i cant blame him. this could be his last ride and he already has a ring. if either Gay or Boykin come back ill be a pretty happy camper

86WARD
02-03-2016, 05:27 AM
I can't see any way that Beachum returns.

hawaiiansteeler
02-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Determining The Current Market Value of Steelers CB Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/determining-the-current-market-value-of-steelers-cb-brandon-boykin/

Godfather
02-06-2016, 08:51 AM
if Gay leaves for bigger money, i cant blame him. this could be his last ride and he already has a ring.

This. Smart thing to do is cash in while he can.

hawaiiansteeler
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
2016 NFL free agency: Would Brandon Boykin upgrade New York Giants secondary?

By Ed Valentine on Feb 9, 2016

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/E6RBTksqcsWXkgOQluBvu95lMxs=/0x312:4170x3092/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48749035/usa-today-9084720.0.jpg

Brandon Boykin had an odd 2015 season in Pittsburgh

Former Eagle could be available on free-agent market.

Brandon Boykin and the New York Giants have a history. Boykin spent the first three seasons of his NFL career with the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles, and in 2014 had a highly-publicized spat with then-Giant Walter Thurmond over Thurmond's claim that he was the league's best slot cornerback at the time.

Well, Thurmond's career with the Giants lasted two games and he spent 2015 playing safety for the Eagles. Boykin got traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, took shots at Chip Kelly on his way out the door, endured a very strange season and is now an unrestricted free agent.

All of that preamble is leading up to a simple question: Is it time for Boykin and the Giants to join forces?

The Giants started the season with Trumaine McBride in the slot and finished it with Trevin Wade there. Both are, at best, stop-gaps. The Giants also have the free agency of cornerback Prince Amukamara hanging over them.

After being acquired by Pittsburgh for a conditional draft choice (fourth or fifth-round based on playing time), Boykin played only 274 defensive snaps (24 percent) for the Steelers. He played in only three of Pittsburgh's first 11 games for a paltry 22 total snaps before becoming a regular part of the defensive rotation the final fives games. He played no fewer than 39 snaps in any of those contests.

Weird.

Walter Football ranks Boykin No. 60 on its list of the top 90 unrestricted free agents:

The Steelers had one of the top nickel corners in the NFL at their disposal, yet they inexplicably didn't use him for most of the year. Overwhelmed defensive coordinator Keith Butler finally began utilize him in December, and it paid off big time, as Brandon Boykin performed extremely well.

Here is what our friends over at SB Nation's Behind the Steel Curtain had to say about the Boykin experience in 2015:

So, to put a bow on this entire saga, Boykin went from a spectator, to one of the most used defensive weapons at the cornerback position. Certainly seems fishy, as it would be rare for Boykin to just suddenly start to play better in practice the last quarter of the season. Did the Steelers not play Boykin intentionally? Were they concerned about losing a 4th round draft pick? Personally, I don't think so, but conspiracy theorists would likely disagree.

Nonetheless, Boykin's weird season in the Steel City is over, and he becomes a free agent this offseason. Pittsburgh would be smart to see what it would cost to have his services back in 2016 and beyond, except this time without any concern of potential snap totals.

Boykin, a 2012 fourth-round pick by the Eagles, turns 26 in July. Thus, he should have plenty of prime seasons left.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/2/9/10930282/2016-nfl-free-agency-brandon-boykin-pittsburgh-steelers-new-york-giants-prince-amukamara

hawaiiansteeler
02-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Steelers Working To Keep One Of LT Kelvin Beachum Or G Ramon Foster

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that the Steelers are working to retain one of LT Kelvin Beachum or G Ramon Foster before the start of free agency.

According to La Canfora, it’s unlikely that both players will sign elsewhere in the coming weeks.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said previously that they planned to see where the market went for Beachum before deciding whether to bring him back.

However, it appears as though things may have changed in regards to their free agent plans.

Beachum, 26, played out the final year of his four-year, $2.146 million rookie contract, which includes a base salary of $1.542 million and is now in position to test the open market in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately for Beachum, he was placed on season-ending injured reserve just over a month into the season. The two parties discussed a contract extension before the start of the regular season, but couldn’t reach an agreement.

In 2015, Beachum appeared in all five games for the Steelers.

Foster, 30, wound up signing on with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent out of Tennessee back in 2009. He has spent all seven of his years in Pittsburgh and is now in line to be one of the better guards in this year’s free agent class.

In 2015, Foster appeared in all 16 games for the Steelers and was rated by Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 16 guard out of 81 qualifying players.

We have both players featured in our Top 100 – 2016 Free Agents list.

http://nfltraderumors.co/143445-2/

86WARD
02-28-2016, 08:39 PM
My choice would be Beachum. Wouldn't be upset if it was Foster for less money.

steelreserve
02-29-2016, 11:16 AM
To me, Foster is a no-brainer. Beachum will want significantly more money, which will severely limit the kinds of free agents we can go after. Plus we have a replacement already, he's coming off a major injury, and we'd be moving him to a different position. Does that sound like the kind of shrewd move you need to make with cap concerns in play, or is that gambling?

Foster may not have the positional flexibility or the "potential" of Beachum, but he's quietly turned into a solid player. Dependable but not super-expensive - exactly the kind of player you need for the offensive line. Put simply, if you can have him play offensive guard for $3 million or $4 million, you'll have a hard time convincing me that paying Beachum twice as much money to play offensive guard is going to be worth it. Is he twice as good a player as Foster? No? Then the issue is settled for me, and similarly settled at LT with Villanueva. It's all risk, no reward if we bring back Beachum.

Yes, if money was no issue, I'd love to have both. But money is an issue, and we just don't have room for a luxury like that; not unless Beachum takes a deal so far below market value that frankly, he would have to be stupid.

BigNastyDefense
02-29-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't see Gay leaving, especially for a team like Tennessee or Cleveland. If he left, it would be for another contender IMO, not some doormat picking in the top two in the draft because they sucked, even if he's worked under the coordinator for each defense.

j-d-s
02-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Well, not everybody thinks like that. Some random guy named "Mike Wallace" left the 'Burgh because he thought he was a Top5 Receiver and deserved such money. Only problem, the only teams ready to pay him were teams that don't have good QBs, so his value dramatically diminished outside Pittsburgh. Sanders on the other hand was smart and went to Denver, where he had that Manning guy throwing to him.

Only the really great receivers are able to perform relatively good regardless of who is at QB. Guys like Larry Fitzgerald or Brandon Marshall.