PDA

View Full Version : TE & WR

Shoes
01-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Miller has been a great TE for the Steelers, but 2016 may just be his final year. Matt Spaeth has been a good blocking TE, but we need a TE that can block as well as get open and catch..... his lamp is also burning dim. That leaves us with J James who's seems to have done a nice job as the season progressed. That also leaves the team short in the TE department. The Steelers haven't had much success in drafting TE's in the later rounds and Daniel Jeremiah has the Steelers taking Hunter Henry at pick 25 in his 1st mock. I'm all for going D in the first few rounds but this kid may be a great replacement for Miller.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/hunter-henry?id=2555341

I think we are set at WR and probably won't draft one this year but if Tajae Sharpe is available at the 7th round i'd take him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/tajae-sharpe?id=2555317

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't think there is any need for the Steelers to draft a receiver or tight end in this upcoming draft. We have plenty of depth at both positions.

GBMelBlount
01-24-2016, 02:11 PM
51 catches and zero drops is pretty impressive.

Defensive line is supposed to be deep this draft but how about CB / safety.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 02:13 PM
51 catches and zero drops is pretty impressive.

Defensive line is supposed to be deep this draft but how about but how about CB / safety.

We should draft another defensive end for depth. Cam and Stephon would like to have more of a rotation because they got beat up this year (Cam's own words). Plus, we really don't have any talent behind those two at that position.

Moose
01-24-2016, 02:19 PM
I'd like to see them draft another young QB to start working with Ben to be honest. Jones just doesn't cut it and he and Vick both need to be shown the road. Ben is just a concussion away from retiring. As we all know, without Ben we are stuck in the mud.

polamalubeast
01-24-2016, 02:21 PM
I don't think there is any need for the Steelers to draft a receiver or tight end in this upcoming draft. We have plenty of depth at both positions.

The steelers need a TE.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 02:24 PM
I'd like to see them draft another young QB to start working with Ben to be honest. Jones just doesn't cut it and he and Vick both need to be shown the road. Ben is just a concussion away from retiring. As we all know, without Ben we are stuck in the mud.

Why is Ben just a concussion away from retiring? Before this season, he started and played every game the past two years.

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers need a TE.

I'm sorry PB, but I have to disagree. We still have Heath at least for one more year because his contract expires at the end of next year. He still has plenty left in the tank. We also have Matt who can't catch a ball to save his life, but can block extremely well. Then we also have Jesse who I hope turns into a baby gronk and just finished his last rookie season. I think we're fine there.

polamalubeast
01-24-2016, 02:31 PM
It's just a very good TE would greatly help the Steelers in the red zone.Miller is not the same player too.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 02:32 PM
It's just a very good TE would greatly help the Steelers in the red zone.Miller is not the same player too.

I think the tight end who could help the Steelers in the red zone could be Jesse.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Henry is honestly a great value pick. it wouldnt be like reaching for the"best" tight end in the draft liek the ravens did last year. Henry is actually a good all around tight end with hands and toughness just as good as Heath in his prime

86WARD
01-24-2016, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't have a problem either way. If they address it this year, great. If they wait on it, no worries.

teegre
01-24-2016, 03:54 PM
I trust Colbert when it comes to drafting WRs.

Tomlin wanted to trade up for ODB. Everyone screamed "What??? Why!?!" But... well... just imagine.

That said:
DL, S, CB

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2016, 03:59 PM
No, this team needs defense first.

slashsteel
01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
you need D

but if there is a player higher on your board, significantly

you have to go BPA

with this draft doesn't look like a QB will line up with this thinking so you can go BPA

and should

Craic
01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
No, this team needs defense first.

I'll rather see the team get a CB or in FA. Bring Gay back for one side, and let Boykin (if we can bring him back), Cockrell, and Sanchez fight it out for the third and fourth positions. The help we need is immediate help, rather than help with depth/future help. You simply can't bet on immediate help at the CB position from the draft.

When it comes to TEs, Heath only has a couple years left, and we really need someone to be Ben's outlet who can also block/be a big guy in the redzone.

As for NT - I honestly don't think it as important anymore as others do. In LeBeau's fire-blitz defense, it was imperative the NT take up two gaps and occupy two blockers. But, that role has changed - even changed the last couple years of LeBeau. The D Line is now more active, going for sacks rather than eating up blockers for the linebackers. That puts all three D line position on an even playing field of importance. So honestly, I don't care about drafting for the line. If we do, as long as its BPA, I'll be fine with it, but it's not a necessity.

That leaves Safety as a defensive draft position, and we need to find one good safety. It's the one place I'd think we could slide in a rookie sometime in the middle of the year. So yeah, I'm okay with a mid-high or high pick going to safety, but only if he looks to be a very good to great player. Otherwise, use what we have or get a FA to fill the role.

Really, except for a couple of FA pickups in the DBs and maybe a punter and/or returner, there's little room to make the roster (discounting a major vet exodus). So, in the end, what I really wouldn't mind seeing is the Steelers trading away a couple mid-round picks (3 and 4?) for a 2nd round next year, then bundle our second rounds next year (even sweetening the deal with a 3rd) for a first round the following year. That'd give us 2 first round pics to bundle and trade up right around the time when we start looking for Ben's replacement. If we don't like the options, then trade the lower pick away for a first round the following year.

Because, honestly - what's going to hurt us four or five years from now won't be missing out on a CB or a Safety. It's going to be our inability to trade up for Ben's replacement.

GBMelBlount
01-24-2016, 06:38 PM
I'll rather see the team get a CB or in FA....

When it comes to TEs, Heath only has a couple years left, and we really need someone to be Ben's outlet who can also block/be a big guy in the redzone.

As for NT - I honestly don't think it as important anymore as others do.....

That leaves Safety as a defensive draft position, and we need to find one good safety. It's the one place I'd think we could slide in a rookie sometime in the middle of the year. So yeah, I'm okay with a mid-high or high pick going to safety, but only if he looks to be a very good to great player. Otherwise, use what we have or get a FA to fill the role.

Sorry to chop up your post Craic but this sums up how I feel pretty well.

If Hunter is available in the first I like the idea of taking him for 3 reasons.

1. With AB and a great TE Ben can put up great numbers with even average number 2 & number 3 receivers and who knows what the hell will happen with Bryant.

2. He will have a cheap contract likely for the rest of Ben's career.

3. It could help significantly in the red zone.

Then take CB / Safety / DL the next several rounds and postpone DL if necessary because it's a little deeper.

steelreserve
01-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Fuck drafting a TE first. We just picked one and he looks like he's a good one. No, he won't be an exact clone of Heath Miller, but we don't need him to be, any more than we need Bell to be an exact clone of Jerome Bettis. I am convinced James can be Miller's eventual replacement if he keeps heading in the direction he's going.

Miller is not out of gas by any means, either. Blocking TEs like Spaeth can be signed cheaply. This idea would have us spending our top draft pick on a guy who would be, in the short term, the third tight end. You'd have an easier time convincing me we urgently need to draft a running back. Pass.

Our needs are defensive backfield and defensive line. Period. We draft anything other than that with our top two picks, I'll be pissed. I don't care which pass-rushing linebacker prospect magically "falls" to the late first round. It happens EVERY year, so keep your fucking OLB boner in your pants this time, take the players we actually need. And no, I don't care if that cornerback or defensive tackle was predicted to go in the early second round and we took him at 25; get your head out of your ass.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Fuck drafting a TE first. We just picked one and he looks like he's a good one. No, he won't be an exact clone of Heath Miller, but we don't need him to be, any more than we need Bell to be an exact clone of Jerome Bettis. I am convinced James can be Miller's eventual replacement if he keeps heading in the direction he's going.

Miller is not out of gas by any means, either. Blocking TEs like Spaeth can be signed cheaply. This idea would have us spending our top draft pick on a guy who would be, in the short term, the third tight end. You'd have an easier time convincing me we urgently need to draft a running back. Pass.

Our needs are defensive backfield and defensive line. Period. We draft anything other than that with our top two picks, I'll be pissed. I don't care which pass-rushing linebacker prospect magically "falls" to the late first round. It happens EVERY year, so keep your fucking OLB boner in your pants this time, take the players we actually need. And no, I don't care if that cornerback or defensive tackle was predicted to go in the early second round and we took him at 25; get your head out of your ass.

While I do agree with you that we need to draft for the secondary and depth at the defensive line; if we lose Ramon or Kelvin to free agency, we may have to draft another offensive linemen. That's a big if at this point though.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2016, 08:16 PM
im not saying its apparent in this thread. but in the past, ive seen a lot of fans that seem completely open to losing ramon foster and i really dont see why. He's been a great value on this team at 3 years @ only $6 million. And chances are he wont break the bank once again. Why not keep that, especially since it looks like we'll start the offseason about $10 million under the projected cap? We know exactly what kind of durable, solid guard play were getting with Foster and you cant have, nor do you honestly want 5 superstars making up your O-line or else itll cost a fortune.

i dont really see the need to draft an O-line early. If we do, tackle depth would be nice. Interior depth seems pretty decent seeing how we have 2 experienced players that have, and can play center/guard

tube517
01-24-2016, 08:28 PM
im not saying its apparent in this thread. but in the past, ive seen a lot of fans that seem completely open to losing ramon foster and i really dont see why. He's been a great value on this team at 3 years @ only $6 million. And chances are he wont break the bank once again. Why not keep that, especially since it looks like we'll start the offseason about $10 million under the projected cap? We know exactly what kind of durable, solid guard play were getting with Foster and you cant have, nor do you honestly want 5 superstars making up your O-line or else itll cost a fortune.

i dont really see the need to draft an O-line early. If we do, tackle depth would be nice. Interior depth seems pretty decent seeing how we have 2 experienced players that have, and can play center/guard

i agree with you but if Beach and Foster leave via free agency, that's 2 starters gone.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2016, 08:39 PM
i agree with you but if Beach and Foster leave via free agency, that's 2 starters gone.

what do you mean 'but?' i seem to be on the same page as you on at least Foster.

Beachum is a tricky situation. He's a top 10 LT. He's definitely a lot better than Villanueva was when he stepped in, but Villanueva was decent and has an enormous ceiling that could surpass anything Beachum ever did. Will his injury really bring his pricetag down much at all, knowing that LT's are at a premium demand? I dont think it will. i worry about the contracts we might struggle to afford on the horizon (Decastro, Bryant Bell, Brown) with a new Beachum contract. Most cuts/re-signings year by year seem obvious, but there are always a few that elude palpability.

I think the 2 that are going to really scramble our heads this offseason are:

1) Re-sign Beachum....but for how long and how much with Villanueva in the wings?

2) Cut Timmons/Extend Timmons because he's going to have the 2nd biggest cap hit on the team + We have 2 decent back LB's in Spence/Williams?

And im very surprised that no one seems to be talking about the 2nd situation. Cutting Timmons would save about $10 million, and make the players previously listed easily re-signable. Timmons isnt old by any means but he'll be 30 by next season, and he's been starting off the last couple of seasons really damn slow, and he had turf toe this season and you never know how good/bad that is. Ive been flip flopping all year personally on the Timmons situation.

tube517
01-24-2016, 08:45 PM
what do you mean 'but?' i seem to be on the same page as you on at least Foster.

Beachum is a tricky situation. He's a top 10 LT. He's definitely a lot better than Villanueva was when he stepped in, but Villanueva was decent and has an enormous ceiling that could surpass anything Beachum ever did. Will his injury really bring his pricetag down much at all, knowing that LT's are at a premium demand? I dont think it will. i worry about the contracts we might struggle to afford on the horizon (Decastro, Bryant Bell, Brown) with a new Beachum contract. Most cuts/re-signings year by year seem obvious, but there are always a few that elude palpability.

I think the 2 that are going to really scramble our heads this offseason are:

1) Re-sign Beachum....but for how long and how much with Villanueva in the wings?

2) Cut Timmons/Extend Timmons because he's going to have the 2nd biggest cap hit on the team + We have 2 decent back LB's in Spence/Williams?

And im very surprised that no one seems to be talking about the 2nd situation. Cutting Timmons would save about $10 million, and make the players previously listed easily re-signable. Timmons isnt old by any means but he'll be 30 by next season, and he's been starting off the last couple of seasons really damn slow, and he had turf toe this season and you never know how good/bad that is. Ive been flip flopping all year personally on the Timmons situation.

My main fear is someone throwing a fat contract at Beachum, even with the injury. He's too good and versatile to let go. I'm just a pessimmist when it comes to free agency.

I said it earlier in the season, that his turf toe is something to watch. Especially with the fat contract/cap hit

steelreserve
01-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Completely agree, especially the part about Foster. He does a great job for what we pay him. I don't think we get better at that position if we let him go. I know the "in" thing to do is re-sign Beachum and move him to guard, which also solves a depth issue - but I have my doubts we can afford that. I also worry about that injury, which people have really paid no attention to even though it is a very real risk. Remember Willie Colon? I don't think that guy was healthy a day in his life after he got the big contract. Would hate to see that.

Still, might not be a bad idea to draft a lineman in the mid to late rounds and see what Munchak can do with him.

Count Steeler
01-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Beachum may not carry as much value on the open market at LT as we think. He is "undersized" for the typical LT mold. Plus, with this injury, teams may be a little hesitant.

If we could get him on a 6-6-8-8, (28 Mil/4 years, with half guaranteed) that would be good value.

Also, with a very small sample size, Hubbard did play well when Alejandro got injured for a few downs. Foster could be kept for depth at 2-3 million.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Beachum may not carry as much value on the open market at LT as we think. He is "undersized" for the typical LT mold. Plus, with this injury, teams may be a little hesitant.

If we could get him on a 6-6-8-8, (28 Mil/4 years, with half guaranteed) that would be good value.

Also, with a very small sample size, Hubbard did play well when Alejandro got injured for a few downs. Foster could be kept for depth at 2-3 million.

I wouldn't even offer Kelvin a multiyear deal at this point. I would only offer him a one year deal. If he comes back next season and isn't the same player because of the injury, you can let him walk without having to cut him and deal with any dead money on the cap.

Count Steeler
01-24-2016, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't even offer Kelvin a multiyear deal at this point. I would only offer him a one year deal. If he comes back next season and isn't the same player because of the injury, you can let him walk without having to cut him and deal with any dead money on the cap.

All depends how bad the injury is. The Steelers should know first hand. If they have any doubts, then I would agree with you.

Same thing with Bell.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 09:04 PM
All depends how bad the injury is. The Steelers should know first hand. If they have any doubts, then I would agree with you.

Same thing with Bell.

Luckily for us, he has one more year on his rookie contract. We can see how he performs with one year remaining on his deal. If I'm the Steelers front office, I'm not signing him a long term deal this off-season because of his injury.

Craic
01-24-2016, 11:03 PM
~

So far, Jesse James looks run of the mill at best. Someone that's nice to have as a second or third option, but not the go-to guy. I want an upgrade. And Miller may not be out of gas, but the V-8 is only running on 6 cylinders now. He's losing a step, and that's not good at TE. He'll still be good over the next couple of years, but he's not going to go 20, 30 yards out and have a chance to uncover anymore.

You also completely ignored my argument. I don't disagree our need is DB. But it is not something to fix in the draft. We have a team that's knocking on the SB door NOW. So why would you want to throw a draft pick away on a guy that most likely will two to three years to fully transition to NFL football. Rookie mistakes end seasons. Young players losing their heads lose seasons (and players with nothing in their head, right pacman?). Talk about wasting a draft pick AND wasting the last few years of Ben's career on a downgraded defense while we wait for someone to develop. Go into FA and get the guy, NOW. As for D Line. Nope. You have a fascination with the NT as if this was still 2001. It's not. It's not the same defense. The roles are different, and the NT is simply not as important as he was in Dick Lebeau's defense. If someone falls to us, great. But reaching, trading up, or picking a NT over a more talented safety, OL, or TE is absolutely foolish at this point.

We could also offer him a three year deal with a minor signing bonus, but give him roster bonuses each year he remains with the team so he gets a guarantee of money before each season begins. Yet, it'd only cost us that year if we cut him after the bonus was paid.

SteelerFanInStl
01-25-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm fine with fixing the secondary through free agency but I have zero confidence in this front office doing that. Most likely we'll sign some scrub that no other team wants.

GBMelBlount
01-25-2016, 07:40 AM
So far, Jesse James looks run of the mill at best. Someone that's nice to have as a second or third option, but not the go-to guy. I want an upgrade.

And Miller may not be out of gas, but the V-8 is only running on 6 cylinders now. He's losing a step, and that's not good at TE.

He'll still be good over the next couple of years, but he's not going to go 20, 30 yards out and have a chance to uncover anymore.

You also completely ignored my argument. I don't disagree our need is DB. But it is not something to fix in the draft. We have a team that's knocking on the SB door NOW. So why would you want to throw a draft pick away on a guy that most likely will two to three years to fully transition to NFL football. Rookie mistakes end seasons. Young players losing their heads lose seasons (and players with nothing in their head, right pacman?). Talk about wasting a draft pick AND wasting the last few years of Ben's career on a downgraded defense while we wait for someone to develop. Go into FA and get the guy, NOW. As for D Line. Nope. You have a fascination with the NT as if this was still 2001. It's not. It's not the same defense. The roles are different, and the NT is simply not as important as he was in Dick Lebeau's defense. If someone falls to us, great. But reaching, trading up, or picking a NT over a more talented safety, OL, or TE is absolutely foolish at this point.

We could also offer him a three year deal with a minor signing bonus, but give him roster bonuses each year he remains with the team so he gets a guarantee of money before each season begins. Yet, it'd only cost us that year if we cut him after the bonus was paid.

In addition to a top shelf tight end being a significant upgrade it is also insurance.

Ben is going to take us to the Superbowl and not a CB or safety.

Besides, with a healthy offense our defense is already good enough to get us there and is improving.

What if we lost Antonio and another starting receiver for the year instead of two offensive lineman and a running back?

We would be f*cked....

So while I am OK with defensive in the first I would be fine with a red zone beast tight end in the first and the defense rounds 2 - 7 and FA (less an offensive lineman in there somewhere).

tube517
01-25-2016, 08:35 AM
I'm fine with fixing the secondary through free agency but I have zero confidence in this front office doing that. Most likely we'll sign some scrub that no other team wants.

Exactly what I am afraid of.

However, they have found some good FA's (Williams and Mitchell) and some bad FA's (Suckerpunch, L.Moore, C.Thomas, Blake).

steelreserve
01-25-2016, 11:43 AM
So far, Jesse James looks run of the mill at best. Someone that's nice to have as a second or third option, but not the go-to guy. I want an upgrade. And Miller may not be out of gas, but the V-8 is only running on 6 cylinders now. He's losing a step, and that's not good at TE. He'll still be good over the next couple of years, but he's not going to go 20, 30 yards out and have a chance to uncover anymore.

I don't know - seems like I just had a more favorable impression of James than you and some other people did. He had extremely limited action this year, but what I saw, I liked. Yes, he's a different player than Miller, but the most important thing I noticed was that you can throw him the ball in traffic and he'll make the tough catch for 10-15 yards - they key ingredient that's been missing in most of our other recent TE prospects. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think he can get the job done. We absolutely need depth at TE or maybe a starter, but I think we can either try for that later in the draft or wait a year. If Miller is trending down, James is trending up, and overall we ought to be in roughly the same place at TE next season.

If we can get the DB we need in the free agent market, I'm all for it and have said that a bunch of times. Same thing goes for DT. Will we be able to get both given our budget? Almost certainly no. Will we be able to get one? Possibly. We still need to do what we can to shore those up, even if only to add enough depth. Guess what's the only other option for that?

Young players don't always take two or three years to develop. The defense is not so complicated they can't learn it. That was Dick LeBeau's bullshit. We've had quite a few rookies come in and make an impact when given the chance. As I recall, Bryant McFadden made a huge play in the Colts playoff game that saved a trip to the Super Bowl. It's not all downside and rookie mistakes. Besides, what's the alternative - keep putting it off because of the learning curve, and now improvement is 3 or 4 years off?

As for D Line. Nope. You have a fascination with the NT as if this was still 2001. It's not. It's not the same defense. The roles are different, and the NT is simply not as important as he was in Dick Lebeau's defense. If someone falls to us, great. But reaching, trading up, or picking a NT over a more talented safety, OL, or TE is absolutely foolish at this point.

The NT is not as important because we haven't had a good one for 5+ years now. To his credit, at least Butler makes adjustments to cover that up. But it's not a substitute for actually having a good player.

Nose tackle is like running back - "the game has changed" away from it, and you don't actually "need" one ... only look at the difference it makes when you have a good one.

Foolish to draft one over OL or TE? We're already good at those positions.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Looking at the list of UFA cornerbacks, trying really hard to keep Brandon Boykin is looking like a better and better idea (at least if we think he can play outside).

These guys seems like the most likely candidates for me as far as CB's that are actually good, and have at least some chance of being signed by us:

Brandon Boykin (We already know he's one of the best slot guys in the league, if the FO figures out whether or not he can play outside, why not? At least he claims he loves it here, fingers crossed)

Jeremy Lane (the seahawks have so many big contracts they've given out/have to continue giving out)

Trumaine Johnson (someone mentioned this in another thread and i disagreed that he seems likely to not re-sign with the rams because they have a lot of cap space. But now im starting to agree because compared to the other good corners that are UFA's, {Prince Amukamara, Sterling Moore, etc.}, he's looking chaseable)

SteelerFanInStl
01-25-2016, 12:32 PM
That was me talking about Trumaine. I'm all aboard the Trumaine train!

Born2Steel
01-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Just a thought....In 2009 the Saints won by putting up points at a record pace and making other teams have to play the catch up game. Which means making other offenses 1 dimensional having to pass mostly. With our offense we may be just 1 weapon away from having the same exact type team. In 2009 the Saints defense only gave up something like 21 points total in the 4th qtr all season. That's because teams had to throw every down, d-line could tee off on the QB and DBs could ball hawk.

No, I don't think we should draft a TE or WR in the first 3 rounds, but if the right guy is there......

Drazo85
01-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Your posts are making me believe that this class has a red zone monster among TEs. I haven't noticed any that has that type of skills. I would like you to name me at least one, maybe I missed something. I sure hope you don't just making assumptions. That type of TEs are rare, and only three guys are currently in NFL who can play at that level. Gronk, Eifert and Olsen. That's it. That type of TE don't grow on trees.

steelreserve
01-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Your posts are making me believe that this class has a red zone monster among TEs. I haven't noticed any that has that type of skills. I would like you to name me at least one, maybe I missed something. I sure hope you don't just making assumptions. That type of TEs are rare, and only three guys are currently in NFL who can play at that level. Gronk, Eifert and Olsen. That's it. That type of TE don't grow on trees.

Here's what I see in this draft as far as tight end: One guy who's a highly touted prospect, and then an immediate drop to mid-round guys who are question marks. So if you go after the one guy, it's going to cost you dearly.

I have not even seen anything that convinces me Henry is that one special can't-miss prospect - which is what you'd better get if you pick a TE in the first round. He may be just the best player in a thin class at the position. If that's the case, I'd rather we take our chances with a guy lower down, or wait. I really do not want us to draft the Matt Stafford or Sam Bradford of tight ends because we were impatient.

As far as guys available in this draft, I'd much rather take a look at Austin Hooper from Stanford, who they're projecting as a third-round or maybe late second-round guy. If you can drop down two full rounds and get the second-team All-American at the position, who comes from a school known for a pro-style offense that produces good tight ends, THAT'S what you want to do instead of reaching.

Born2Steel
01-25-2016, 06:37 PM
TEs are just as much a cog in the system as the rest. ie, Jimmy Graham is a monster for the Saints, goes to Seattle and is just another guy on the roster. Meanwhile, Ben Watson has the breakout year of his 12 seasons in the league. For the Saints.
Not sure Haley likes using TEs as much as some other OCs. Was he the HC at KC that let Gonzo leave to Atlanta? I think we are pretty solid right now at TE for our offense. No need in this draft, IMO.

Craic
01-25-2016, 06:37 PM
I don't know - seems like I just had a more favorable impression of James than you and some other people did. He had extremely limited action this year, but what I saw, I liked. Yes, he's a different player than Miller, but the most important thing I noticed was that you can throw him the ball in traffic and he'll make the tough catch for 10-15 yards - they key ingredient that's been missing in most of our other recent TE prospects. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think he can get the job done. We absolutely need depth at TE or maybe a starter, but I think we can either try for that later in the draft or wait a year. If Miller is trending down, James is trending up, and overall we ought to be in roughly the same place at TE next season.

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for him to come up big. Of course, if we get our full complement of linemen back, I'm also for seeing of Alejandro can move to TE.

If we can get the DB we need in the free agent market, I'm all for it and have said that a bunch of times.
Sorry, must have missed that.

Same thing goes for DT. Will we be able to get both given our budget? Almost certainly no. Will we be able to get one? Possibly. We still need to do what we can to shore those up, even if only to add enough depth. Guess what's the only other option for that?

Remember though, we're also gaining 10 Mil. of cap room from the increase which puts us right about 17 M under the cap right now. Granted, we need to sign some players, but we also have other FA next year that will get signed this year and see their cap figures go down. Timmons, for instance, is a FA after next year. If we can resign him, we can drop his cap numbers by possibly upwards of 2 Million. DeCastro's coming up next year as well. He's counting 8 Mill against the cap now, with no dead money. So, there's room to resign players and getting even more cap room.

And, personally, I'm for drafting for depth and giving the players a year or two to develop, regardless of position.

Young players don't always take two or three years to develop. The defense is not so complicated they can't learn it. That was Dick LeBeau's bullshit. We've had quite a few rookies come in and make an impact when given the chance. As I recall, Bryant McFadden made a huge play in the Colts playoff game that saved a trip to the Super Bowl. It's not all downside and rookie mistakes. Besides, what's the alternative - keep putting it off because of the learning curve, and now improvement is 3 or 4 years off?
McFadden. It was a great play, back left corner of the endzone if I remember right. But, that was also at the end of the season, and I don't believe he had a lot of snaps because he was adjusting to the game. And that's more my point. It's not just LeBeau's defense. It's adjusting to game speed and also to all the schemes ran in the NFL. Sure, a few can make the jump. Most take time to develop. I'm not wanting to bank on getting someone that can immediately make the jump knowing how old Ben is getting.

The NT is not as important because we haven't had a good one for 5+ years now. To his credit, at least Butler makes adjustments to cover that up. But it's not a substitute for actually having a good player.
Nose tackle is like running back - "the game has changed" away from it, and you don't actually "need" one ... only look at the difference it makes when you have a good one.
But, as you said, there's only so many people we can get on this team due to cap reasons. I'd rather have above-average or great players in bigger positions of impact. Again, in Lebeau's defense, NT would have been THE position to draft for first, followed by LB, because those two positions were the heart of the Zone Blitz. I just don't see it anymore.

Foolish to draft one over OL or TE? We're already good at those positions.
Until Heath loses another cylinder, or retires. As for O line, we can never have too much depth there. Not drafting O line depth was Cowher's and Grimm's legacy that dropped us into the abyss we're just now climbed out of.

Shoes
01-25-2016, 06:43 PM

I'm not so sure anyone is making that claim. Miller is what the Steelers want in a TE, a very good blocker & receiver, who is durable and consistent game in and game out. The only other TE in the league who is Miller like is Jason Witten imo. I can see why the Steelers might go after this guy ( Hunter Henry ) because he has Miller/Witten talent with the added upside of going deep. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if the Steelers picked him.

Here's a few vids of the kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cO6UWl7Sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6vkrTinNGw

Shoes
01-26-2016, 01:11 PM
Kevin Colbert believes in targeting the best players available. I don’t see a quality cornerback available here, and Henry has rare blocking talent to go along with his ability as a pass catcher. Henry could step in tomorrow and take over a starting spot.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/lance-zierlein-2016-mock-draft-steelers-select-arkansas-te-hunter-henry-25th-overall/

Psycho Ward 86
01-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for him to come up big. Of course, if we get our full complement of linemen back, I'm also for seeing of Alejandro can move to TE.

Sorry, must have missed that.

Remember though, we're also gaining 10 Mil. of cap room from the increase which puts us right about 17 M under the cap right now. Granted, we need to sign some players, but we also have other FA next year that will get signed this year and see their cap figures go down. Timmons, for instance, is a FA after next year. If we can resign him, we can drop his cap numbers by possibly upwards of 2 Million. DeCastro's coming up next year as well. He's counting 8 Mill against the cap now, with no dead money. So, there's room to resign players and getting even more cap room.

And, personally, I'm for drafting for depth and giving the players a year or two to develop, regardless of position.

McFadden. It was a great play, back left corner of the endzone if I remember right. But, that was also at the end of the season, and I don't believe he had a lot of snaps because he was adjusting to the game. And that's more my point. It's not just LeBeau's defense. It's adjusting to game speed and also to all the schemes ran in the NFL. Sure, a few can make the jump. Most take time to develop. I'm not wanting to bank on getting someone that can immediately make the jump knowing how old Ben is getting.

But, as you said, there's only so many people we can get on this team due to cap reasons. I'd rather have above-average or great players in bigger positions of impact. Again, in Lebeau's defense, NT would have been THE position to draft for first, followed by LB, because those two positions were the heart of the Zone Blitz. I just don't see it anymore.

Until Heath loses another cylinder, or retires. As for O line, we can never have too much depth there. Not drafting O line depth was Cowher's and Grimm's legacy that dropped us into the abyss we're just now climbed out of.

where are you getting $17 million under the cap?

steelreserve
01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
where are you getting $17 million under the cap?

Right now they're predicting a cap increase to $153 million and the Steelers are at $151.5 million. The way to arrive at that $17M number is probably because we were right near the $143M cap this year, then it likely goes up $10M, then we have Woodley and Polamalu's dead money coming off the books.

But then we take a massive hit from all the backloaded and restructured contracts that go way up in cap value ... Pouncey from $4.3M to $10.5M ... Heyward from $6.4M to $10M ... DeCastro from $2.4M to $8M ... Brown from $7M to $12M ... Ben from $17M to $23M ... Miller from $4M to $7M ... Gilbert from $3M to $6M ... Mitchell from $2.5M to $6.7M ... and of course Timmons from $9M to $15M ... even Moats from $1.5M to $3M.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Basically, we're lugging around somewhere in the neighborhood of $40 million in dead money that's not called dead money because we still have the players. The only thing we can do with it is stand pat or kick the can down the road with more restructures. In this case, I am probably in favor of that because there really are what, 4 years, 5 years max while our franchise QB is still at the top of his game. After that - man, is it going to get ugly, but really nothing we can do about it; if we can win a Super Bowl or two in the meantime, you can put up with just about anything.

polamalubeast
01-26-2016, 05:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/275602

Psycho Ward 86
01-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Right now they're predicting a cap increase to $153 million and the Steelers are at $151.5 million. The way to arrive at that $17M number is probably because we were right near the $143M cap this year, then it likely goes up $10M, then we have Woodley and Polamalu's dead money coming off the books.

But then we take a massive hit from all the backloaded and restructured contracts that go way up in cap value ... Pouncey from $4.3M to $10.5M ... Heyward from $6.4M to $10M ... DeCastro from $2.4M to $8M ... Brown from $7M to $12M ... Ben from $17M to $23M ... Miller from $4M to $7M ... Gilbert from $3M to $6M ... Mitchell from $2.5M to $6.7M ... and of course Timmons from $9M to $15M ... even Moats from $1.5M to $3M.

Basically, we're lugging around somewhere in the neighborhood of $40 million in dead money that's not called dead money because we still have the players. The only thing we can do with it is stand pat or kick the can down the road with more restructures. In this case, I am probably in favor of that because there really are what, 4 years, 5 years max while our franchise QB is still at the top of his game. After that - man, is it going to get ugly, but really nothing we can do about it; if we can win a Super Bowl or two in the meantime, you can put up with just about anything.

still not understanding where $17 million is coming from. id be thrilled if i saw the proof

steelreserve
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM
still not understanding where $17 million is coming from. id be thrilled if i saw the proof

That was my point; it's not going to be $17 million. That's how much we gain from the cap increase plus shedding Woodley and Polamalu's dead money. But almost all of it is eaten right back up by increases in existing contracts.

Actually, more than that is eaten up by rises in existing contracts, but a few other players' contracts expired and they became free agents. So put all that together and we ought to be right up against the cap when free agency starts, of course pending a few other transactions like releasing Suisham, C. Allen, extending DeCastro, or whatever else we decide to do.

Craic
01-26-2016, 07:18 PM
That was my point; it's not going to be $17 million. That's how much we gain from the cap increase plus shedding Woodley and Polamalu's dead money. But almost all of it is eaten right back up by increases in existing contracts.

Actually, more than that is eaten up by rises in existing contracts, but a few other players' contracts expired and they became free agents. So put all that together and we ought to be right up against the cap when free agency starts, of course pending a few other transactions like releasing Suisham, C. Allen, extending DeCastro, or whatever else we decide to do.

For the 2016 season and top 51 players (estimated), the Steelers are currently sitting at 6.7 Mill under cap (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/).

That doesn't include bring back FAs, as SR said. When I figured out the cap before, I didn't realize the site already added the 10 Mil to the cap.

Of course, that number also counts 3 Kickers, from whom we can get back 3.38 Mill after a June 1 release of Squeeze'em and Ty Long (at any point). That pops us back over the 10 Mil. Mark.

Timmons is a 15.1 Mill cap hit with a 6.3 dead cap number, and in his last year of contract. It'd be foolish not to give him a new contract and bring that number down by a few mill. I think we could probably get at least 2-4 million in relief there. Decastro is a 8 Mill hit. Not sure if we can get that any lower with a new contract, though. Miller's a 7.18 Mill. hit, but only 3.1 in dead cap, and is in the last year of his contract as well. We should be able to get a couple million in cap space from a new contract there.

That's put us right about 9-1 million in cap space before we started resigning FAs with another 3 Mill after June 1.

Born2Steel
01-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Those saying don't spend a draft pick on a DB or DT, what would you use those draft picks for then?

IMO, even if we get a stud DB and a stud DT in FA, we still gotta spend a draft pick at each of those positions.

Craic
01-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Those saying don't spend a draft pick on a DB or DT, what would you use those draft picks for then?

IMO, even if we get a stud DB and a stud DT in FA, we still gotta spend a draft pick at each of those positions.

Honestly? BPA, or trade down and add picks for next year.

SteelersProfessor
01-27-2016, 12:23 AM
Haley loves his TE/FB's in the red zone and in key moments in red zone.

Starters, backups, almost to the point of obsession.

Born2Steel
01-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Honestly? BPA, or trade down and add picks for next year.

Right, so what would BPA be? If we use our 1st on a RB because he's the BPA, Steeler Nation would explode. So even BPA is a restricted pick, but to what positions? Trade down still equals draft picks, same issue. Gotta draft somebody so why not DB or DT. Not drafting players at what most consider our 2 biggest needs is the gameplan, where would you spend those picks? TE has been argued, OL is a possibility. But are these really needs or areas that could be improved?

fansince'76
01-27-2016, 09:33 AM
After reading this thread, I think it's safe to say that regardless of who they draft or what position they draft, someone's going to be unhappy. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
01-27-2016, 02:04 PM
I would imagine a blend of BPA and need would yield better results than blindly following one or the other.

Born2Steel
01-27-2016, 02:37 PM
I would imagine a blend of BPA and need would yield better results than blindly following one or the other.

I would think so.....

steelreserve
01-27-2016, 03:11 PM
For the 2016 season and top 51 players (estimated), the Steelers are currently sitting at 6.7 Mill under cap (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/).

That doesn't include bring back FAs, as SR said. When I figured out the cap before, I didn't realize the site already added the 10 Mil to the cap.

Of course, that number also counts 3 Kickers, from whom we can get back 3.38 Mill after a June 1 release of Squeeze'em and Ty Long (at any point). That pops us back over the 10 Mil. Mark.

Timmons is a 15.1 Mill cap hit with a 6.3 dead cap number, and in his last year of contract. It'd be foolish not to give him a new contract and bring that number down by a few mill. I think we could probably get at least 2-4 million in relief there. Decastro is a 8 Mill hit. Not sure if we can get that any lower with a new contract, though. Miller's a 7.18 Mill. hit, but only 3.1 in dead cap, and is in the last year of his contract as well. We should be able to get a couple million in cap space from a new contract there.

That's put us right about 9-1 million in cap space before we started resigning FAs with another 3 Mill after June 1.

Can anyone tell what the difference is between these two sites' cap numbers, then? They're significantly different:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

I think it's pretty safe to say we can free up several million dollars or more in cap space by redoing deals. DeCastro we certainly can by backloading it (ugh). The question is whether that gives us enough to really go out and get one key player, or just stand our ground.

It's important to remember, post-June 1 money does not help us as much, since free agency is essentially over. You're left with the random summertime free agents, signing your rookie class, or extending your own guys (which doesn't help us as much, because we're probably planning on using most of those extensions to free up pre-June 1 cap space in the first place). So the point of that is, for example, we don't just have $3 million sitting there from releasing Suisham; it's restricted and there may be some other cases like that. In any case, I don't think we're in danger of losing any key players immediately, but to me it's 50-50 whether we make any significant additions. That depends a lot on which site's numbers are right.

Also important to note that whatever we do right now to free cap space, it's going to push a wheelbarrow load of money into 2017 and 2018. So if we're looking at that one player to complete a championship team, this is the year to do it; we will have a damn hard time next season. Also raises the importance of drafting those key positions like CB, S, DT ... because even if those guys aren't contributors NOW, if we're looking to address a need 2 or 3 seasons from now - which should still be in Ben's "window" - the only place we'll be able to turn are the guys we drafted this year.

Born2Steel
01-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Miller has been a great TE for the Steelers, but 2016 may just be his final year. Matt Spaeth has been a good blocking TE, but we need a TE that can block as well as get open and catch..... his lamp is also burning dim. That leaves us with J James who's seems to have done a nice job as the season progressed. That also leaves the team short in the TE department. The Steelers haven't had much success in drafting TE's in the later rounds and Daniel Jeremiah has the Steelers taking Hunter Henry at pick 25 in his 1st mock. I'm all for going D in the first few rounds but this kid may be a great replacement for Miller.

I think we are set at WR and probably won't draft one this year but if Tajae Sharpe is available at the 7th round i'd take him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/tajae-sharpe?id=2555317

I don't see a TE worthy of a 1st round pick dropping to 25 anyway. You're probably right about not taking a WR at all this draft.

86WARD
01-27-2016, 04:44 PM
TE is fine. They can sign a free agent relatively cheap that's a good blocker. We're in good hands with The Outlaw!!

SteelersProfessor
01-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Don't care about blocking tight ends.

Three wides, 1 RB, a TE, get out their way.

Win.

It's that simple.

Craic
01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Can anyone tell what the difference is between these two sites' cap numbers, then? They're significantly different:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

I think it's pretty safe to say we can free up several million dollars or more in cap space by redoing deals. DeCastro we certainly can by backloading it (ugh). The question is whether that gives us enough to really go out and get one key player, or just stand our ground.

It's important to remember, post-June 1 money does not help us as much, since free agency is essentially over. You're left with the random summertime free agents, signing your rookie class, or extending your own guys (which doesn't help us as much, because we're probably planning on using most of those extensions to free up pre-June 1 cap space in the first place). So the point of that is, for example, we don't just have $3 million sitting there from releasing Suisham; it's restricted and there may be some other cases like that. In any case, I don't think we're in danger of losing any key players immediately, but to me it's 50-50 whether we make any significant additions. That depends a lot on which site's numbers are right.

Also important to note that whatever we do right now to free cap space, it's going to push a wheelbarrow load of money into 2017 and 2018. So if we're looking at that one player to complete a championship team, this is the year to do it; we will have a damn hard time next season. Also raises the importance of drafting those key positions like CB, S, DT ... because even if those guys aren't contributors NOW, if we're looking to address a need 2 or 3 seasons from now - which should still be in Ben's "window" - the only place we'll be able to turn are the guys we drafted this year.

Don't know about the differences, I'll have to look at that. Interesting . . . and probably part of the "Missing each other" we were doing concerning picking up a free agent vs. drafting.

As for the Post June 1 space, I think it does help us because we know we have the full amount of cap space before that to sign FAs without having to worry about keeping space open for rookie contracts or injury replacement. Suisham's release covers that nicely.

Craic
01-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Right, so what would BPA be? If we use our 1st on a RB because he's the BPA, Steeler Nation would explode. So even BPA is a restricted pick, but to what positions? Trade down still equals draft picks, same issue. Gotta draft somebody so why not DB or DT. Not drafting players at what most consider our 2 biggest needs is the gameplan, where would you spend those picks? TE has been argued, OL is a possibility. But are these really needs or areas that could be improved?

Obviously, BPA is not limited the single best player on the board. It'd be foolish for us to draft a DE who is situated for a 4-3 defense. Yet, if the 2nd coming of Bettis fell to us (hypothetical), wouldn't we be foolish not to draft him? Nothing happens in a vacuum.

And, again, if given the chance, I'd trade a first for a first and third or first and fourth next year. We're facing the reality of a Ben-less offense in the next 3-5 years. So, we need to find a way to move up in the draft without playing possum one season. Pick up what we need in FA and look for some rough gems in the later picks to develop.

Of course, this being the Steelers, that's not how they do things. We'll sit at our position, moving up only a few spots if necessary, and pick whoever falls to use that we hope can make a good impact (BPA + Context of draft and Steelers team). While it may be frustrating now and then, a long term comparison with the league shows the FO has a good handle on doing it right.

ALLD
01-27-2016, 05:31 PM
The Steelers' next good QB is not even in high school yet.

SteelersProfessor
01-27-2016, 05:35 PM
At #25 I wouldn't mind a trade down either unless someone plummets down the board to them.

hawaiiansteeler
01-27-2016, 06:42 PM
At #25 I wouldn't mind a trade down either unless someone plummets down the board to them.

that would be my preference also, I would love to pick up another 3rd round selection.

we could use depth at CB, SS, FS, NT, DE, OLB, QB, TE, OG and OT and only have five draft picks right now.

Born2Steel
01-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Obviously, BPA is not limited the single best player on the board. It'd be foolish for us to draft a DE who is situated for a 4-3 defense. Yet, if the 2nd coming of Bettis fell to us (hypothetical), wouldn't we be foolish not to draft him? Nothing happens in a vacuum.

And, again, if given the chance, I'd trade a first for a first and third or first and fourth next year. We're facing the reality of a Ben-less offense in the next 3-5 years. So, we need to find a way to move up in the draft without playing possum one season. Pick up what we need in FA and look for some rough gems in the later picks to develop.

Of course, this being the Steelers, that's not how they do things. We'll sit at our position, moving up only a few spots if necessary, and pick whoever falls to use that we hope can make a good impact (BPA + Context of draft and Steelers team). While it may be frustrating now and then, a long term comparison with the league shows the FO has a good handle on doing it right.

Don't disagree necessarily. But my question was if you don't want to spend our draft picks on DB or DT, what positions do you want to draft. A couple of people have said TE or OL. My thinking is we are close to where we want to be already. Glaring needs at DB and DT. I would like to draft and get someone in FA. If BPA on the board is another Bettis, it would not be a smart pick THIS DRAFT. 1. He wouldn't be known as that for years. 2. We have no need for a RB in this draft. Just my opinion. You could even make sense of another OLB if 'the right guy' fell to 25.

teegre
01-27-2016, 08:48 PM
BPA for a subset of positions: CB, SS/FS, OLB, DL, and maybe even TE and OL.

You can essentially eliminate: QB, WR, ILB, and RB from the list.

WEIGHTING/DEPTH
This is is not a very deep draft for TEs, but a very good draft for DL. So, maybe Hunter Henry gets "weighted" more than a DT with the same grade (a tie-breaker, if you will).

Craic
01-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Don't disagree necessarily. But my question was if you don't want to spend our draft picks on DB or DT, what positions do you want to draft. A couple of people have said TE or OL. My thinking is we are close to where we want to be already. Glaring needs at DB and DT. I would like to draft and get someone in FA. If BPA on the board is another Bettis, it would not be a smart pick THIS DRAFT. 1. He wouldn't be known as that for years. 2. We have no need for a RB in this draft. Just my opinion. You could even make sense of another OLB if 'the right guy' fell to 25.

Honestly, it's not that I don't want to spend a couple picks on DB or DT. Rather, it's that I want us to pick those up in FA for a fix right now. Then, we draft for depth and develop a couple good players to take over positions that will be vacated in the next few years. That's why I am on board with a TE, because outside of QB, that's the biggest need I see developing in a couple years. We're very deep at WR, I think we're well positioned at RB, I wouldn't mind getting some depth at the O line and D line, and of course, I'd be all for drafting a stud to step in and takeover at DB in a couple years after our acquired FA ages out.

hawaiiansteeler
01-27-2016, 08:53 PM

WEIGHTING/DEPTH
This is is not a very deep draft for TEs, but a very good draft for DL. So, maybe Hunter Henry gets "weighted" more than a DT with the same grade (a tie-breaker, if you will).

2016 Senior Bowl: Vernon Butler, Jihad Ward turning heads for North

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
January 27, 2016

MOBILE, Alabama -- It's the nature of the game for the big guys playing along the line of scrimmage to be overshadowed by the so-called skill position players.

But ask the hundreds of NFL personnel watching from the stands at Ladd-Peebles Stadium at the Senior Bowl and it is clear that the top talent playing in this year's Senior Bowl resides predominately among the defensive line.

Two relatively unheralded defensive linemen taking full advantage of the big stage Wednesday were Louisiana Tech's Vernon Butler and Illinois' Jihad Ward.

Butler was unblockable at times, showing an exciting combination of initial quickness, balance and a refined swim move, belying his 6-foot-4, 325-pound frame.

His teammate, Ward, was nearly as effective.

Despite a frame perhaps better suited to playing inside at defensive tackle, the 6-foot-5, 296 pound Ward enjoyed much of his success Wednesday at right defensive end, slicing inside would-be blockers to force running backs and quarterbacks, alike, to alter their plans.

This wasn't a case of Butler and Ward taking advantage of poor blocking from the North offensive linemen. In fact, in left tackle Jason Spriggs and Notre Dame center Nick Martin (among others), Butler and Ward often opposed two of the highest rated offensive linemen playing in the prestigious all-star game.

Rather, Butler and Ward are simply prospects whose talents have been somewhat overshadowed to this point because of this year's extraordinary defensive line class -- a group one high-ranking NFL scout called one of the best he's ever seen.

Other highlights from Wednesday's North Team practice:

to read rest of article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25464408/senior-bowl-vernon-butler-jihad-ward-turning-heads-for-north

Born2Steel
01-27-2016, 08:53 PM

WEIGHTING/DEPTH

Right. My thinking is 1. CB, SS/FS, OLB, DL just like you posted. I assume we both intend BPA there as well. 2. Trade down for more picks of CB, SS/FS, OLB, & DL. If BPA is not our guy.

teegre
01-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Right. My thinking is 1. CB, SS/FS, OLB, DL just like you posted. I assume we both intend BPA there as well. 2. Trade down for more picks of CB, SS/FS, OLB, & DL. If BPA is not our guy.

Exactly.
Plans all go to pot once the actual draft starts. No one mocked Randy Moss to the Vikings. Or, Troy Polamalu to the Steelers.

...which is exactly why I LOVE watching the draft.

fansince'76
01-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Exactly.
Plans all go to pot once the actual draft starts. No one mocked Randy Moss to the Vikings. Or, Troy Polamalu to the Steelers.

...which is exactly why I LOVE watching the draft.

You have your title to defend here too. :chuckle:

teegre
01-27-2016, 09:10 PM
You have your title to defend here too. :chuckle:

Even a blind squirrel... :lol:

Shoes
02-06-2016, 11:35 AM
The Ohio State football program was out in full force at the Senior Bowl, and tight end Nick Vannett will likely hear his name called earlier than expected thanks to a stellar showing.

http://factoryofsadness.co/2016/01/31/ohio-state-football-how-nick-vannett-won-the-senior-bowl/

hawaiiansteeler
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
The Ohio State football program was out in full force at the Senior Bowl, and tight end Nick Vannett will likely hear his name called earlier than expected thanks to a stellar showing.

you know it's a weak year for TEs when a guy who caught only 19 passes this season with none of those being TDs is considered one of the top TEs in this year's draft class...

Shoes
02-06-2016, 12:12 PM
you know it's a weak year for TEs when a guy who caught only 19 passes this season with none of those being TDs is considered one of the top TEs in this year's draft class...

Agreed, but Matt Spaeth hasn't done much better with years of NFL experience. I'd still take Henry over Vannett

hawaiiansteeler
02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Agreed, but Matt Spaeth hasn't done much better with years of NFL experience. I'd still take Henry over Vannett

imo Henry is by far the top TE in this year's class, problem is the Steelers would most likely have to use a 1st round round pick in order to get him. if he were somehow to fall to our selection in Round 2 however I would definitely take him then.

as for Vannett, I would draft him no earlier than in Round 3...

Shoes
02-06-2016, 01:10 PM
imo Henry is by far the top TE in this year's class, problem is the Steelers would most likely have to use a 1st round round pick in order to get him. if he were somehow to fall to our selection in Round 2 however I would definitely take him then.

as for Vannett, I would draft him no earlier than in Round 3...

i agree.

hawaiiansteeler
02-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Tight end Xavier Grimble flashed playmaking skills as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad

JIM WEXELL

http://img.scout.com/sites/default/files/2016/01/26/01-26-16grimble.jpg?w=865&h=576&fit=max

Is it time to draft Heath Miller's replacement? Or would the Steelers be better served with The X Man? Jim Wexell delves into the world of Xavier Grimble.

Even into the offseason, the cry for "H-e-e-e-a-a-a-t-h" rings throughout the fan base.

Only, it's not the happy cheer Pittsburgh Steelers fans have heard over the years whenever Heath Miller catches a pass.

Miller caught 60 of them last season to become the first Steelers tight end to ever catch 60 or more passes in back-to-back seasons.

In fact, only two others -- Eric Green and Elbie Nickel -- caught 60 passes or more once in their respective Steelers careers. Miller has averaged 54 per each of his 11 seasons, yet the cry rings out, and not for any good reason if you are Miller or his family and friends.

Fans -- at least some of those who call talk shows and interact on social media -- want a new "H-e-e-e-a-a-a-t-h." His name is Hunter Henry and he's been the toast of draftnik mocks recently.

Henry's a 6-5, 253-pounder who's coming out of Arkansas following his junior season. He can block, and probably better than Miller could at the time he was the 30th pick of the 2005 draft and helped the Steelers win a Super Bowl as a rookie starter.

Henry can also catch, and, judging by the only video I've watched of him, he can get down the field.

Fine. Miller's entering the final year of his contract and turns 34 in October. The Steelers could draft Henry and have Miller mentor him throughout his final season. Or, hey, just cut Heath and save $4 million, which can be used to help buy a defensive back, because defensive backs are what the Steelers really could use.

Or, just defense.

Anyone on defense. At any position.

Personally, I won't allow the last seven games of the season, in which five back-ups and an over-the-hill veteran quarterbacked against the Steelers in their final seven games.

I want more, and in my opinion the Steelers can certainly find a defensive player to help them more than a rookie tight end, particularly when that rookie tight end would be vying for Ben Roethlisberger's attention with four talented wide receivers and a returning pass-catching running back named Le'Veon Bell.

Are there enough footballs to go around as is?

From that perspective, the aging and slowing Miller just might be worth keeping around for another, say, 52-catch season.

But there's also the X-factor, and I'm not talking about last year's fifth-round pick, Jesse James.

In Xavier Grimble, the Steelers have a player on their futures roster who showed throughout this past practice season that he could become the playmaking tight end this team would appreciate as a complement to Miller.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1636348-the-steelers-x-factor

SteelerFanInStl
02-07-2016, 08:59 AM
The article above takes a subscription to be able to read.

86WARD
02-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Probably shouldn't post that much if that article then.

Shoes
02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
>snip<

WEIGHTING/DEPTH This is is not a very deep draft for TEs, but a very good draft for DL. So, maybe Hunter Henry gets "weighted" more than a DT with the same grade (a tie-breaker, if you will).

Which is why I'd be delighted if the Steelers picked him in the first. Talk about adding more mojo to an already scary offense! It would be perfect timing having Miller training him up before he retires.

teegre
02-08-2016, 05:51 PM
>snip<

Which is why I'd be delighted if the Steelers picked him in the first. Talk about adding more mojo to an already scary offense! It would be perfect timing having Miller training him up before he retires.

Real question... I'm not trying to be argumentative/ I'm really asking:

Is Henry a R1 pick merely because there are no other TEs in this draft class? Or, is he a legitimate R1 talent???

Shoes
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Is Henry a R1 pick merely because there are no other TEs in this draft class? Or, is he a legitimate R1 talent???

I think for what the Steelers expect out of a TE, yes he is a R1 talent.. Miller was a 1st rounder and Henry seems to be a better blocker than Miller was when he was drafted. He also has the added upside of going short, mid & deep. He surely fits the Steeler mold better than Eifert (1st round) or Maxx Williams (2nd round). It will be interesting to see how he does at the combine.

Eifert 1st Round
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/tyler-eifert?id=2540148

Maxx Williams 2nd Round

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/maxx-williams?id=2552468

Hunter Henry

LLT
02-09-2016, 09:37 AM

I think he is VERY legit. Good size...good speed...and very athletic. BUT...I also think there are some other legitimate TE's in this class. Nick Vannett of Ohio State, who is 6'6 256 lb sand Bryce Williams of East Carolina who is 6'6 260 are both really talented prospects who will be available after round 1.

Born2Steel
02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
If Henry is the ONLY legit 1st round TE in this draft he will be gone way before we pick. I believe we know what we have with Spaeth. Now let Jesse James show us what a complete season can do for him. We just got him and I thought he did well enough.

SteelMember
02-09-2016, 12:44 PM
If Henry is the ONLY legit 1st round TE in this draft he will be gone way before we pick. I believe we know what we have with Spaeth. Now let Jesse James show us what a complete season can do for him. We just got him and I thought he did well enough.

Never can tell... Heath was #1 rated even with a medical issue and lasted to the end of the 1st... DeCastro fell to us. Anything can happen after QB, OT, CB, DE dominate the early picks.

st33lersguy
02-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Steelers need to go defense in round 1. All the offensive weapons the Steelers have makes a TE less valuable to this team and not worth a 1st round pick

polamalubeast
02-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Steelers need to go defense in round 1. All the offensive weapons the Steelers have makes a TE less valuable to this team and not worth a 1st round pick

Agree

I've changed my mind after seeing the last two games the Broncos in the playoffs.

The Steelers need a better defense, especially against the pass.The defense has still a lack of talent in the secondary and they lack the depth on the DL.The OLB must be better too.

hawaiiansteeler
02-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Steelers-by-position: TEs

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Article/11_November/Daniel_James_Article_1117_2015.jpg

Another in a position-by-position series in advance of the start of free agency on March 9:

TIGHT ENDS – (5)
(Free Agent Scorecard: None)

ROB BLANCHFLOWER
After being a seventh-round draft pick from Massachusetts in 2014, Blanchflower spent that season on the practice squad, and he was waived-injured on Aug. 6, 2015 and spent this past season on injured reserve. For now, he’s got a spot on the offseason roster, which doesn’t mean a whole lot at a time of year when there’s still snow on the ground.

XAVIER GRIMBLE
At 6-foot-4, 261-pounds, Grimble is a prime candidate to be the player who becomes something of an obsession for the faction of Steelers Nation that likes to hunt for sleepers during the offseason. During his college career at USC, Grimble was a bit of an underachiever, and then he made a curious decision to skip his senior season and enter the 2014 draft. He wasn’t drafted and has bounced around on practice squads since. He has enough size and athletic ability and hands to be considered a worthwhile gamble as a developmental prospect, hence the sleeper designation.

JESSE JAMES
Last year’s fifth-round pick from Penn State, James is not the second-coming of Heath Miller, and those who consider him to be that are doing him a disservice by creating expectations he won’t be able to fulfill. In his first NFL action – in the Hall of Fame Game last August in Canton against the Vikings – James looked like he didn’t belong in the NFL after dropping some passes and having Coach Mike Tomlin say he would tell him to “knuckle up. This is Sunday ball. This is not Saturday ball.” But James rebounded to the degree he was active for the final eight games of the regular season and two in the playoffs. He’s still a project, but at least now he seems to belong in the NFL and therefore looks to be a worthwhile project. The next Heath Miller? Not so fast.

HEATH MILLER
With one year remaining on his current contract, and with his 34th birthday set for Oct. 22, it’s a safe assumption Miller is staring at the end of a career that will finish with him as the top tight end in franchise history. It’s very reasonable to make the contention that Miller wore down as 2015 wore on, but there’s also no question that he remains the team’s best tight end and one of its best 53 overall players, regardless of position. Finding a replacement for Miller is a legitimate endeavor, but is it necessary to expect that player to come via a high draft choice? With the group of wide receivers the Steelers have, maybe not. And maybe finding Miller’s replacement isn’t worth pursuing at all this offseason, because it would give the team another season to get a better idea of what it has in Jesse James.

MATT SPAETH
Almost exactly 13 months younger than Miller, Spaeth is a blocking tight end, and that statement is backed up by the fact he has six catches in 32 games over three seasons since coming back to the Steelers after a two-year stint in Chicago with the Bears. That is true, and so is this: the Steelers haven’t had anyone to give them what Spaeth has been giving them over the past two-and-a-half seasons as an in-line blocker. That’s not necessarily an easy job, nor is it one where replacements are plentiful.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-by-position-TEs/3f7c9572-73fb-40f3-8ad6-c793f896a9e4

tube517
02-16-2016, 07:06 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Two-players-signed-three-released/9e3e64f3-7d5f-45c4-ad96-03bcfacec0f2

The flowering blanch is gone.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2016, 08:28 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Two-players-signed-three-released/9e3e64f3-7d5f-45c4-ad96-03bcfacec0f2

The flowering blanch is gone.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/d386d9a9769a3a19aa961dd8cc0fa2f9/tumblr_mmhm7mHCiE1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

86WARD
02-17-2016, 04:55 AM
But he was supposed to be the next Gronk!!!

Shoes
02-19-2016, 05:23 PM
Thoughts on what the Steelers should do about the TE position now that Miller is retiring.

I'm still pushing for Henry.

polamalubeast
02-19-2016, 05:28 PM
A Free agent.....

SteelerFanInStl
02-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Thoughts on what the Steelers should do about the TE position now that Miller is retiring.

I'm very much against that. We have bigger needs on this team. The offense can still win a SB without spending the first pick in the draft on a TE. It's still plenty good enough. The defense needs much more help.

Sign a free agent like Dwayne Allen and we'll be good at TE.

I like what we saw of Jesse James this year and I really want to see what we've got in him.

Shoes
02-19-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm very much against that. We have bigger needs on this team. The offense can still win a SB without spending the first pick in the draft on a TE. It's still plenty good enough. The defense needs much more help.

Sign a free agent like Dwayne Allen and we'll be good at TE.

I like what we saw of Jesse James this year and I really want to see what we've got in him.

Good points. I prefer to pick up a good FA CB before the draft
I'm all for going DLine, but there will be plenty of good NT in the 2nd & 3rd round and a S will be there as well.

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Said it another thread, probably going to say it a thousand more times. Dwayne Allen is the only UFA tight end that has all the check marks you want in a perfect steelers signing: young, tight end with a well rounded game, underutilized and had a couple fluke injuries down the stretch in his career that make it impossible for him to command much money, extremely high ceiling.

In colts training camp there were articles where people thought he was the 2nd best player on the team other than andrew luck (this was going into his 2nd season). Jesse James' negatives on his scouting report was all about somewhat shaky blocking, so Dwayne will be nice to have around. Spaeth as we all know is one dimensional and also old AF. With so few high/mid round draft picks this year, this would be a good time to get a cheap FA replacement.

Shoes
02-19-2016, 07:49 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/zierlein-2016-mock-draft-2-0-steelers-select-arkansas-te-hunter-henry-25th-overall/

86WARD
02-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Posted in another thread but probably a better question for here:

Anyone interested in Jared Cook? Rams just released him yesterday.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2016, 07:50 AM

very good receiving TE , not a great blocker ... not going to find a Miller clone though things will need to change to compensate

Cook is a proven time tested James , if we go for him it becomes telling on what they think of James unless they plan to morph into 2 pass catching TE formations but with the WR they have ( or figure to have when you count Coates) it just doesn't make sense to me to make that sort of move IF they believe in James . if they do not have a lot of faith in James that is a whole other story

SteelerFanInStl
02-20-2016, 09:05 AM
very good receiving TE , not a great blocker ... not going to find a Miller clone though things will need to change to compensate

Cook is a proven time tested James , if we go for him it becomes telling on what they think of James unless they plan to morph into 2 pass catching TE formations but with the WR they have ( or figure to have when you count Coates) it just doesn't make sense to me to make that sort of move IF they believe in James . if they do not have a lot of faith in James that is a whole other story

As a Steelers fan living in St Louis (and former Rams fan (my NFC team)), I've watched every Rams game that Cook played. He's definitely not a very good receiving TE. He drops FAR too many passes. He's a tall, very athletic TE who can run. As you said, he's not a good blocker and he's also known to "quit" during games.

No way in Hell would I want him on the Steelers.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2016, 12:11 PM
As a Steelers fan living in St Louis (and former Rams fan (my NFC team)), I've watched every Rams game that Cook played. He's definitely not a very good receiving TE. He drops FAR too many passes. He's a tall, very athletic TE who can run. As you said, he's not a good blocker and he's also known to "quit" during games.

not seeing many Rams games , I guess I should have added a qualifier to that as his statistical numbers are on par with Miller ( maybe a bit better ) obviously those stats do lie to some degree as they do not include drops or QBs completion percentage when throwing to him

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Mark KabolyVerified account@MarkKaboly_Trib

Ben Watson is a free agent TE after 74 catches for the Saints. He's a vet. He is also a guy who visited the Steelers a couple years back.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5E serp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2016, 01:23 PM

2(43) Los Angeles Rams: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

Jared Cook has been discussed as a potential cap casualty. Well, it's about time. Cook has stolen countless millions from the Rams' organization. Cutting ties with one of the laziest players in the NFL has been long overdue.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_2.php#VJS7uHbTi0GdbUwl.99

tube517
02-20-2016, 01:56 PM

Ben Watson is a free agent TE after 74 catches for the Saints. He's a vet. He is also a guy who visited the Steelers a couple years back.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5E serp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

35 yrs old. Good stats last year. Can he block?

Tomlin may have a hard on because he was born in Norfolk, VA

polamalubeast
02-20-2016, 02:46 PM

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Mike Mayock's 2016 NFL Draft position rankings

Tight end

1. Hunter Henry, Arkansas
2. Austin Hooper, Stanford
3. Jerrell Adams, South Carolina
4. Nick Vannett, Ohio State
5. Henry Krieger Coble, Iowa

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635418/article/mike-mayocks-2016-nfl-draft-position-rankings?sf20694830=1

86WARD
02-20-2016, 07:18 PM

Good analysis!

- - - Updated - - -

That was going to be my next question. Ben Watson. Dwayne Allen?

If they went the free agent route, Ladarius Green would be my first choice. Probably followed by Fleener. But both of those may cost more...

Shoes
02-20-2016, 08:07 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-tight-ends-dwayne-allen-jared-cook/

st33lersguy
02-20-2016, 09:06 PM
The Steelers finished top 3 in offense the last 2 years while Heath Miller didn't even top 800 receiving yards. Sorry, I don't think they should place a lot of value in the TE position this draft especially over a weak defense. We need another DL to alleviate snaps for Heyward and Tuitt, and the secondary does not be brought up. Steelers have a lot of able pass-catchers including the best WR in the NFL, probably the best pass-catching RB in the NFL, and an explosive no. 2 wideout. I think we can afford to see what we have in Jesse James. Drafting a TE at the expense of the defense would be stupid

Shoes
02-20-2016, 09:45 PM
The Steelers finished top 3 in offense the last 2 years while Heath Miller didn't even top 800 receiving yards. Sorry, I don't think they should place a lot of value in the TE position this draft especially over a weak defense. We need another DL to alleviate snaps for Heyward and Tuitt, and the secondary does not be brought up. Steelers have a lot of able pass-catchers including the best WR in the NFL, probably the best pass-catching RB in the NFL, and an explosive no. 2 wideout. I think we can afford to see what we have in Jesse James. Drafting a TE at the expense of the defense would be stupid

>snip<

The Steelers have work to do on offense without Miller: The Steelers like fifth-rounder Jesse James (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2979590/jesse-james), but he's hardly a guarantee to replace Miller. The Steelers will develop him, see how he grows, but a depth chart of James and Matt Spaeth (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10521/matt-spaeth) won't get it done. The Steelers can design more plays for slot receiver Markus Wheaton (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15873/markus-wheaton) over the middle to compensate for Miller's loss. But Wheaton's not an inline tight-end blocker. That might be the hardest part of Miller's game to replace, the versatility from snap to snap.

This could change the Steelers' draft plans: Tight end was never a position of need. The Steelers always could take that off the board in the past. That changes now. Arkansas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks)’ Hunter Henry (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player?id=50097) is considered the draft's top tight end, and he could be available at No. 25 overall. If the Steelers love his skill set, they have to consider him. They would have done so anyway, considering Miller's age, though any draft pick could have integrated with Miller to form a potent duo. With the Steelers' fast-paced, quick passing game, this is a chance for the team to add speed and dynamic playmaking on the inside. Not that Miller wasn't dynamic -- he certainly was for parts of his career -- but speed was never his thing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/17808/fan-favorite-heath-millers-retirement-forces-steelers-into-brave-new-world

teegre
02-20-2016, 10:22 PM
I think people are reeeeally underestimating how valuable Heath truly was.

I'm not saying that Hunter is the answer, but if Heath is not replaced, there will indeed be a serious drop-off in the offense's production.

fansince'76
02-20-2016, 11:38 PM
35 yrs old. Good stats last year. Can he block?

Tomlin may have a hard on because he was born in Norfolk, VA

35 years old and he's got the taint of New England on him. No thanks.

st33lersguy
02-21-2016, 12:35 AM
>snip<

The Steelers have work to do on offense without Miller: The Steelers like fifth-rounder Jesse James (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2979590/jesse-james), but he's hardly a guarantee to replace Miller. The Steelers will develop him, see how he grows, but a depth chart of James and Matt Spaeth (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10521/matt-spaeth) won't get it done. The Steelers can design more plays for slot receiver Markus Wheaton (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15873/markus-wheaton) over the middle to compensate for Miller's loss. But Wheaton's not an inline tight-end blocker. That might be the hardest part of Miller's game to replace, the versatility from snap to snap.

This could change the Steelers' draft plans: Tight end was never a position of need. The Steelers always could take that off the board in the past. That changes now. Arkansas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks)’ Hunter Henry (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player?id=50097) is considered the draft's top tight end, and he could be available at No. 25 overall. If the Steelers love his skill set, they have to consider him. They would have done so anyway, considering Miller's age, though any draft pick could have integrated with Miller to form a potent duo. With the Steelers' fast-paced, quick passing game, this is a chance for the team to add speed and dynamic playmaking on the inside. Not that Miller wasn't dynamic -- he certainly was for parts of his career -- but speed was never his thing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/17808/fan-favorite-heath-millers-retirement-forces-steelers-into-brave-new-world

Heath was a great player, a true blue collar Steeler but pass catching is not an issue, the Steelers have plenty of those and it's hard to envision run-blocking regressing too much with a solid o-line coached by one of the best o-line coaches and Spaeth as an able run-blocker. The leadership void and void in term of veteran smarts will not be filled by a first-year TE and with the way TEs are becoming more pass-oriented and finesse, it may be hard to find one with Heath's toughness.

More importantly though, defense still wins championships as Denver has illustrated the past 3 years. The defense needs to be improved before this team can win a championship. Improving a defense that is currently mediocre and has one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL is a bigger concern than any possible drop in production for a top 3 offense that still has plenty of talent. A rookie TE will not get this team closer to winning a championship and is not as valuable to this team at this stage than an upgrade in the secondary or a disruptive defensive lineman that can keep Heyward and Tuitt fresh and can get Cam Thomas off the field (and possibly off the team)

Drazo85
02-21-2016, 04:37 AM
Heath was a great player, a true blue collar Steeler but pass catching is not an issue, the Steelers have plenty of those and it's hard to envision run-blocking regressing too much with a solid o-line coached by one of the best o-line coaches and Spaeth as an able run-blocker. The leadership void and void in term of veteran smarts will not be filled by a first-year TE and with the way TEs are becoming more pass-oriented and finesse, it may be hard to find one with Heath's toughness.

More importantly though, defense still wins championships as Denver has illustrated the past 3 years. The defense needs to be improved before this team can win a championship. Improving a defense that is currently mediocre and has one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL is a bigger concern than any possible drop in production for a top 3 offense that still has plenty of talent. A rookie TE will not get this team closer to winning a championship and is not as valuable to this team at this stage than an upgrade in the secondary or a disruptive defensive lineman that can keep Heyward and Tuitt fresh and can get Cam Thomas off the field (and possibly off the team)

Defense, defense and only defense.

Shoes
02-21-2016, 10:04 AM
And what defensive player do you folks want in R1 that won't be there in R2 & R3? I'm all for going D, but I don't see the Steelers drafting a CB in R1, DT there are plenty, DE, OLB, S in R1 who? Unless some top 10 player drops to 25 I can't see it.

Mojouw
02-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Whoever said Ladarius Green, I really like that idea - if he will come on the cheap. Green is still all flash and promise. Tantalizing flash and promise, but hasn't proved much yet.

Another intriguing name, if the Saints give up on him is Josh Hill. Also an all sizzle no steak at this point guy, but he might come cheap and worth a flyer.

hawaiiansteeler
02-21-2016, 06:30 PM
2016 NFL Free Agents: Tight Ends

2016 NFL Free Agency: Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2016.

Ladarius Green, TE, Chargers. Age: 26.
Ladarius Green was never able to officially pass Antonio Gates on the depth chart, but perhaps he was one season away from doing so. Green, who is highly athletic, performed well when starting for the suspended Gates at the beginning of 2015.

Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers. Age: 36.
Antonio Gates had a pair of brilliant seasons in 2013 and 2014, but this most recent one has been ravaged by injuries. He couldn't even get open against the Raiders in Week 16, and Oakland struggled versus tight ends all year. Gates will turn 36 in June.

Zach Miller, TE, Bears. Age: 31.
Zach Miller came out of nowhere to serve as a reliable target for Jay Cutler in 2015. The problem is that Miller turns 32 in October, so his success figures to be short-lived.

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Cardinals. Age: 28.
The stats don't show it, but Jermaine Gresham is an effective player because of his excellent blocking ability. He hasn't ever evolved into a solid receiver, unfortunately.

Coby Fleener, TE, Colts. Age: 27.
Coby Fleener has been a big disappointment in the wake of being chosen in the second round a few years ago. He hasn't been terrible, but his drops have been crushing. If he could put it all together, he could be pretty decent.

Jared Cook, TE, Rams. Age: 29.
Congratulations are in order for Jared Cook, who stole a ton of money from the Rams' organization. I hope he left the building for the final time holding a white bag with a dollar sign on it for good measure. Cook is very physically talented, but he doesn't care about becoming a better player. He's running out of time to overcome his extreme lethargy, but he's still worth a shot on a 1-year "prove it" deal.

Ben Watson, TE, Saints. Age: 35.
Ben Watson came out of nowhere to have the best season of his career, catching 74 passes for 825 yards. Unfortunately for Watson, this success will be short-lived, as he'll be 36 at the end of the 2016 campaign.

Larry Donnell (RFA), TE, Giants. Age: 27.
A mediocre receiver and blocker, Larry Donnell was just a pedestrian starter when he was in the lineup. He missed half the 2015 campaign with a neck injury.

Dwayne Allen, TE, Colts. Age: 26.
The Colts had high hopes for Dwayne Allen, and at one point, it even appeared as though he would overtake Coby Fleener as the primary tight end. However, Allen hasn't been able to stay healthy at all. Still, he's a great buy-low candidate.

Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars. Age: 32.
Marcedes Lewis, 32 in May, is slowing down, but he's still a terrific blocker who can catch passes somewhat well.

Vernon Davis, TE, Broncos. Age: 32.
John Elway traded for Vernon Davis, and all Davis did to repay him was drop countless passes. Davis still has athletic ability, but his head isn't in the game for some reason.

Rhett Ellison, TE, Vikings. Age: 27.
Josh Hill (RFA), TE, Saints. Age: 26.
Garrett Celek, TE, 49ers. Age: 28.
David Johnson, TE, Chargers. Age: 29.
Andrew Quarless, TE, Packers. Age: 27.
Clay Harbor, TE, Jaguars. Age: 29.
Cooper Helfet (RFA), TE, Seahawks. Age: 27.
Tim Wright (RFA), TE, Lions. Age: 26.
Craig Stevens, TE, Titans. Age: 32. -- Re-signed with Titans
Michael Hoomanawanui, TE, Saints. Age: 28.
James Hanna, TE, Cowboys. Age: 27.
Tony Moeaki, TE, Falcons. Age: 29.
Kellen Davis, TE, Jets. Age: 30.
Logan Paulsen, TE, Redskins. Age: 29.
Jack Doyle (RFA), TE, Colts. Age: 26.
Demetrius Harris (RFA), TE, Chiefs. Age: 25.

Rob Housler, TE, Bears. Age: 28.
MarQueis Gray, TE, Bills. Age: 26.
Chase Ford, TE, Ravens. Age: 26.
Brandon Williams (RFA), TE, Dolphins. Age: 28.
Bear Pascoe, TE, Lions. Age: 30.
Jim Dray, TE, Browns. Age: 29.
Zach Sudfeld (RFA), TE, Jets. Age: 27.
Chase Coffman, TE, Seahawks. Age: 29.
Anthony McCoy, TE, Seahawks. Age: 28.
Alex Smith, TE, Redskins. Age: 34.
Daniel Fells, TE, Giants. Age: 32.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2016TE.php

Cyphon25
02-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Whoever said Ladarius Green, I really like that idea - if he will come on the cheap. Green is still all flash and promise. Tantalizing flash and promise, but hasn't proved much yet.

I like him as an option as well with 2 issues.

1. I don't think there is a high chance he leaves SD and even if he does it is as you say, will he come cheap?

2. The Depot guys talked about him today and pointed out that he is kind of light so might not give you what you want in the blocking game.

Mojouw
02-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I like him as an option as well with 2 issues.

1. I don't think there is a high chance he leaves SD and even if he does it is as you say, will he come cheap?

2. The Depot guys talked about him today and pointed out that he is kind of light so might not give you what you want in the blocking game.

Very true. I'm not sure he will ever be a good blocker. But IF he comes for the right price, could form part of a committee based replacement for Miller. I am operating under the assumption that there is no option that provides a single player replacement for Miller.

Born2Steel
02-22-2016, 06:05 PM
I liked what I saw from Jesse James last season. He was very raw but I saw a lot of talent there. Mostly though, I'm NOT interested in any of the TEs in this draft until after we solidify the defense. I just don't see the need at all.

Born2Steel
02-22-2016, 06:11 PM
And what defensive player do you folks want in R1 that won't be there in R2 & R3? I'm all for going D, but I don't see the Steelers drafting a CB in R1, DT there are plenty, DE, OLB, S in R1 who? Unless some top 10 player drops to 25 I can't see it.

If you are wanting names of specific players, I don't know yet. There have been many tossed around lately though. Have to get some combine results along with looking at film on them, but personally, I would like to see a draft go CB,DL,Safety, in no specific order just yet. We have Jesse James already. I see us with 3 wide, 1 RB, and 1 TE for most of the 2016 season.

Cyphon25
02-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Very true. I'm not sure he will ever be a good blocker. But IF he comes for the right price, could form part of a committee based replacement for Miller. I am operating under the assumption that there is no option that provides a single player replacement for Miller.

That is a good assumption to operate under lol. There aren't many like Heath any more. We only saw a little of James but what he did as a pass catching TE I think is close to what Heath was giving at this point. I can't say fully on how well James can find the open areas like Heath could, but he definitely seemed pretty reliable in that regard.

It is his blocking that I thought was more of the concern for people. So I guess if we assume Green won't be a solid blocker either it may be concerning. Although I like the idea of making the number 1 TE spots James to lose and bringing in another solid vet.

86WARD
02-22-2016, 07:52 PM

Another intriguing name, if the Saints give up on him is Josh Hill. Also an all sizzle no steak at this point guy, but he might come cheap and worth a flyer.

I said Ladarius Green. I like him a lot but I think he will pull in some nice coin from the Chargers. He's one of those players that's on the verge of being great and could really payoff...but he could also be (slimmer chance IMO) one of those guys who gets paid and becomes ordinary.

I too like the idea of Josh Hill on the cheap. He was supposed to be the man to replace Jimmy Graham but never really got that chance last season due to Ben Watson's success. He stepped in and performed well, I think 2 seasons ago, when Graham was injured. I wouldn't mind that signing at all and could see that as one of those "Steelers off-season moves".

hawaiiansteeler
02-22-2016, 08:20 PM

problem is Josh Hill is a restricted free agent, not unrestricted and I highly doubt the Saints would just let him walk away and get nothing in return...

Mojouw
02-22-2016, 09:15 PM
problem is Josh Hill is a restricted free agent, not unrestricted and I highly doubt the Saints would just let him walk away and get nothing in return...

I kind of doubt it as well. But Saints cap situation kinda sucks and if Hill couldn't beat out an aged Ben Watson, maybe they don't tender him? doubt it, but weird things happen.

hawaiiansteeler
02-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Why Jesse James' Role Will Expand in 2016

Created on Feb. 23, 2016

With longtime Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Heath Miller announcing his retirement on Friday, Big Ben and company are in the market for a new security blanket in the passing game. Though the team has nine-year veteran Matt Spaeth still under contract and some other tight end options to explore in free agency, expect Pittsburgh to look into getting younger at the position with second-year tight end Jesse James.

James, a McKeesport, Pennsylvania native, grew up fewer than 20 miles from Heinz Field. At 6’7”, 261 pounds, the former Penn State product has an ideal frame for a tight end at the NFL level, and though he hasn’t quite had the opportunity to develop into a volume pass-catcher or lethal weapon in the red zone, James is ready to get to work.

“For me, it is next man up,” James said, via Mark Kaboly of the Tribune-Review. “I have been with the team for a year now, and I feel really comfortable with everything. I know the team has confidence in me to get the job done. It is my time to step up and handle business and make sure they are comfortable with me be able to fill in and take over.”

James caught nine of his 12 targets for 78 yards and a touchdown in 10 games in 2015, his longest reception (22 yards) coming in the Steelers’ loss to Denver in the postseason. In his three years at Penn State, James brought in 78 receptions for 1,005 yards and 11 touchdowns, via CFBStats.com.

Pittsburgh could look to add a veteran tight end via free agency to fill their need for a receiving threat at the tight end position, but James is capable of mimicking Miller’s production. Over the course of his 11-year career, Miller averaged fewer than four receptions a game and just over four touchdowns a season.

After being drafted in the fifth-round in the 2015 NFL draft, James was considered as an average route-runner with solid hands that struggled to effectively use his body in the run game. While his route-running ability should improve as he continues to gain experience, he will need to develop into an aggressive, yet reliable run blocker if he is going to remain a starter in Pittsburgh.

Fortunately for James, he had the opportunity to learn behind Miller, a well-balanced tight end in terms of pass catching and run blocking, during his rookie year, and he will continue to learn alongside another established blocker in Spaeth. At 6’7”, 262 pounds, Spaeth has nearly an identical build to James, which in turn, could allow James to learn to mirror Spaeth’s qualities as a blocker. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Spaeth graded out as the NFL’s No. 1 ranked tight end in pass protection and 19th overall run blocker.

Though James’ eventual development into an established run blocker isn’t certain, Pittsburgh can’t afford to spend a great deal of cap space or invest a high draft pick into a tight end this offseason. With just a little over $10 million in cap space and significant holes in both the secondary and along the offensive line, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert must put faith in his offensive line coach Mike Munchak and tight ends coach James Daniel to be able to correct James’ mistakes as a blocker and allow him to reach his full potential.

Replacing a fan favorite like Miller is nearly impossible, but James has an opportunity to develop into something special in Pittsburgh. Whether or not the Steelers choose to bring in added help at the position, look for James to benefit from a significant number of snaps in 2016, and in turn, evolve into a productive starter for the Steelers in the near future.

https://www.football.com/en-us/why-jesse-james-role-will-expand-in-2016/

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
wow #1 in pass protection for Spaeth? even for such a disappointingly 1 dimensional 3rd round pick,gotta give the man credit for still playing well at his age

GBMelBlount
02-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Why Jesse James' Role Will Expand in 2016

Created on Feb. 23, 2016

With longtime Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Heath Miller announcing his retirement on Friday, Big Ben and company are in the market for a new security blanket in the passing game. Though the team has nine-year veteran Matt Spaeth still under contract and some other tight end options to explore in free agency, expect Pittsburgh to look into getting younger at the position with second-year tight end Jesse James.

James, a McKeesport, Pennsylvania native, grew up fewer than 20 miles from Heinz Field. At 6’7”, 261 pounds, the former Penn State product has an ideal frame for a tight end at the NFL level, and though he hasn’t quite had the opportunity to develop into a volume pass-catcher or lethal weapon in the red zone, James is ready to get to work.

“For me, it is next man up,” James said, via Mark Kaboly of the Tribune-Review. “I have been with the team for a year now, and I feel really comfortable with everything. I know the team has confidence in me to get the job done. It is my time to step up and handle business and make sure they are comfortable with me be able to fill in and take over.”

James caught nine of his 12 targets for 78 yards and a touchdown in 10 games in 2015, his longest reception (22 yards) coming in the Steelers’ loss to Denver in the postseason. In his three years at Penn State, James brought in 78 receptions for 1,005 yards and 11 touchdowns, via CFBStats.com.

Pittsburgh could look to add a veteran tight end via free agency to fill their need for a receiving threat at the tight end position, but James is capable of mimicking Miller’s production. Over the course of his 11-year career, Miller averaged fewer than four receptions a game and just over four touchdowns a season.

After being drafted in the fifth-round in the 2015 NFL draft, James was considered as an average route-runner with solid hands that struggled to effectively use his body in the run game. While his route-running ability should improve as he continues to gain experience, he will need to develop into an aggressive, yet reliable run blocker if he is going to remain a starter in Pittsburgh.

Fortunately for James, he had the opportunity to learn behind Miller, a well-balanced tight end in terms of pass catching and run blocking, during his rookie year, and he will continue to learn alongside another established blocker in Spaeth. At 6’7”, 262 pounds, Spaeth has nearly an identical build to James, which in turn, could allow James to learn to mirror Spaeth’s qualities as a blocker. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Spaeth graded out as the NFL’s No. 1 ranked tight end in pass protection and 19th overall run blocker.

Though James’ eventual development into an established run blocker isn’t certain, Pittsburgh can’t afford to spend a great deal of cap space or invest a high draft pick into a tight end this offseason. With just a little over $10 million in cap space and significant holes in both the secondary and along the offensive line, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert must put faith in his offensive line coach Mike Munchak and tight ends coach James Daniel to be able to correct James’ mistakes as a blocker and allow him to reach his full potential.

Replacing a fan favorite like Miller is nearly impossible, but James has an opportunity to develop into something special in Pittsburgh. Whether or not the Steelers choose to bring in added help at the position, look for James to benefit from a significant number of snaps in 2016, and in turn, evolve into a productive starter for the Steelers in the near future.

https://www.football.com/en-us/why-jesse-james-role-will-expand-in-2016/

It should not be difficult for James to mimic Heath's production because Heath's production has always been average.

Born2Steel
02-23-2016, 06:56 PM
AB, Wheaton, Bryant, Coates, and DHB. Set at WR, IMO.
Spaeth and James. May need to add 1 more TE to the stable. I saw we extended *Grimble*. I know nothing about him though.

Personally, I would rather add a veteran TE from FA than spend a draft pick. Just my opinion.

Psycho Ward 86
02-24-2016, 10:31 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/colts-free-agent-dwayne-allen-steelers-siriusxm-nfl-radio/

Colts TE Dwayne Allen thinks the Steelers could use his talents

hawaiiansteeler
02-24-2016, 11:49 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/colts-free-agent-dwayne-allen-steelers-siriusxm-nfl-radio/

I can't see the Steelers paying him $5 million/season.

Dwayne Allen probably will end up signing with Pittsburgh West....

steelreserve
02-25-2016, 03:02 AM

Yeah, he can take his 20 or 30 catches and 300 yards somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

James, Spaeth and Johnson. We ought to be fine as long as there are no major injuries.

hawaiiansteeler
02-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Yeah, he can take his 20 or 30 catches and 300 yards somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

James, Spaeth and Johnson. We ought to be fine as long as there are no major injuries.

the Steelers reportedly also like their 23 year old TE on the practice squad, Xavier Grimble from USC.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-liked-what-they-saw-last-year-out-of-practice-squad-te-xavier-grimble/

86WARD
02-25-2016, 05:17 AM
Dwayne Allen was a good TE when he was the "starter" with the Colts. Problem was Coby Fleener was also the "starter" and when Allen got injured, Allen never got back with it. He's decent, could be really good, but he's not worth $5M a year...

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2016, 10:21 AM
the Steelers reportedly also like their 23 year old TE on the practice squad, Xavier Grimble from USC.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-liked-what-they-saw-last-year-out-of-practice-squad-te-xavier-grimble/

they liked dri archer and josh harris too

Cyphon25
02-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Game. Set. Match.

On the Dawyne Allen topic....I think he would be a really good pick up at the right price. He pulled in 8 TD's in 2014 while sharing the load. We could definitely use a boost like that in the redzone.

hawaiiansteeler
02-25-2016, 10:53 AM

they also liked Alejandro Villanueva and James Harrison...

hawaiiansteeler
02-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Dale Lolley ‏@dlolleyor

Stanford TE Austin Hooper said he will meet with #Steelers tonight

Hooper also said he's done his homework. Not only knew #Steelers had Heath Miller retire last week, but also knew Rob Blanchflower released

https://twitter.com/dlolleyor?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

steelreserve
02-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Dale Lolley ‏@dlolleyor

Stanford TE Austin Hooper said he will meet with #Steelers tonight

Hooper also said he's done his homework. Not only knew #Steelers had Heath Miller retire last week, but also knew Rob Blanchflower released

This is the guy I really like. Could be 99% as good as Henry for half the price. If he's on the board in R2, it'd be an adequate value pick. If he's there in R3, we'd be morons not to.

Shoes
02-25-2016, 06:24 PM
This is the guy I really like. Could be 99% as good as Henry for half the price. If he's on the board in R2, it'd be an adequate value pick. If he's there in R3, we'd be morons not to.

I'd take him in R2 if Henry was gone. But still think the Steelers will take Henry R1

hawaiiansteeler
02-25-2016, 06:32 PM
I'd take him in R2 if Henry was gone. But still think the Steelers will take Henry R1

Hunter Henry had the smallest hands (9 1/4") of all the TEs that were measured today.

teegre
02-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Hunter Henry had the smallest hands (9 1/4") of all the TEs that were measured today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXRfnIfFYFI

Shoes
02-25-2016, 07:25 PM

I'll take em!

hawaiiansteeler
02-25-2016, 07:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXRfnIfFYFI

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/458565fc2f6eb928ee4edcdb45adcb2b87.png

steelreserve
02-25-2016, 11:09 PM

How do I put this. The other day I was reading some guy's review of a nature area with a lot of hiking and horse trails. And he brought his dog with him for a hike, and the dog ate a bunch of horse poo, and then threw it up in the car on the way home, then ate the throw-up and threw it up again in the house.

THAT would be better than spending our first-round pick on TE. If either Henry or Hooper was around in the second, that's the only way I'd consider it, though the third would be better and I would still be fine with just standing pat where we are if there's no good value there, which there is likely not to be.

Shoes
02-26-2016, 12:11 AM
How do I put this. The other day I was reading some guy's review of a nature area with a lot of hiking and horse trails. And he brought his dog with him for a hike, and the dog ate a bunch of horse poo, and then threw it up in the car on the way home, then ate the throw-up and threw it up again in the house.

THAT would be better than spending our first-round pick on TE. If either Henry or Hooper was around in the second, that's the only way I'd consider it, though the third would be better and I would still be fine with just standing pat where we are if there's no good value there, which there is likely not to be.

Not if the Steelers are looking for a long term answer at the TE position. I listened to Mike Mayock's question and answer the other day, and he confirmed what I thought on DT. He said the DL is so deep, you could wait until R3 or R4 this year and get a NT that in past drafts was a R1 or R2 talent. If the Steelers get a good CB in FA, add Golson in the mix, it makes no sense to me to draft another CB, nor does it make sense to draft a NT in R1.

@ About 22:20
https://soundcloud.com/steelersdepot/mike-mayock-2016-pre-combine-conference-call

teegre
02-26-2016, 01:57 AM

I don't think that it's quite that bad. I will use a similar analogy...

You feel like going hiking. Alas, Torrey Pines is closed. Cowles Mountain (Henry) is always open. While Cowles is a good hike, it is simply not Torrey Pines.

At the same time, available are all of the theme parks: SeaWorld, Zoo, WAPark, Legoland (Reed, Robinson, Clark)

Also, there are the golf courses: Aviara, Torrey Pines, La Costa (Cravens, Thompson, Joseph).

You really "need" to go to the beach, because we haven't been surfing in a long, long time... but, Swami's (Hargreaves) is long gone, and all that is left is La Jolla Shores (Apple), which is not really all that great for surfing... but, would indeed fill that need.

SUMMATION:
Hike Cowles Mountain: eh

Surf La Jolla Shores: double eh

Go to SeaWorld, Zoo, WAPark, Legoland, or golf at Aviara, Torrey Pines, La Costa: YES!!!

teegre
02-26-2016, 02:22 AM
Not if the Steelers are looking for a long term answer at the TE position. I listened to Mike Mayock's question and answer the other day, and he confirmed what I thought on DT. He said the DL is so deep, you could wait until R3 or R4 this year and get a NT that in past drafts was a R1 or R2 talent. If the Steelers get a good CB in FA, add Golson in the mix, it makes no sense to me to draft another CB, nor does it make sense to draft a NT in R1.

@ About 22:20
https://soundcloud.com/steelersdepot/mike-mayock-2016-pre-combine-conference-call

Continuing my analogy...

Sure, there is also Boomers, Belmont Park, Soak City, Funbelievable, Pump It Up, and Sky Zone... all of which are indeed a great time, but they simply pale in comparison to the other theme parks.

Cyphon25
02-26-2016, 04:47 AM
What we have going for us is their high regard of Xavier Gimble. If they like him as much as it sounds and we have James and Spaeth back we are already 3 TE's deep. Hard to imagine they waste such an important pick on Henry.

I say they wait until the 3rd or 4th minimum if they even draft a TE.

Nadroj 20
02-26-2016, 08:18 AM
I like what I see out of Nick Vannett TE - Ohio State. I already said how I liked Apple, so I feel like the Buckeye promoter of the board but I do have some reservations about Apple. However Vannett is projected to be a mid-rounder and I think he is underrated.

He is an excellent blocker and he's underrated has a receiver. OSU really didn't utilize him in the receiving game, but he did make some big plays when he was given the opportunity.

I guess he also had a big Senior Bowl.

steelreserve
02-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Not if the Steelers are looking for a long term answer at the TE position. I listened to Mike Mayock's question and answer the other day, and he confirmed what I thought on DT. He said the DL is so deep, you could wait until R3 or R4 this year and get a NT that in past drafts was a R1 or R2 talent.

... and think of how good of a player we get if we take one at #25. We'll get a player who is not just good but dominant. And we need a dominant NT or DE/DT a lot more than a dominant TE. I like that better than waiting until the middle rounds to get a pretty-good player.

If the Steelers get a good CB in FA, add Golson in the mix, it makes no sense to me to draft another CB, nor does it make sense to draft a NT in R1.

This I agree with. Except for the NT part, but at this point I'm really talking about not just NT but defensive line in general. I'm hoping we do take care of the CB need in free agency, because the free agent class is looking a lot better than the draft class at that position.

I've become convinced that even if we take a guy who is a DE or DE/DT hybrid, that will still improve our pass rush immensely, because 1) We need depth, and even the first guy off the bench is going to play almost as much as the starters; 2) The "nose tackle by committee" approach we've been using would probably work when you have three dominant ends who can also sort of play NT, but does not work at all when you are just rotating 2-3 below-average defensive tackles.

I like what I see out of Nick Vannett TE - Ohio State. I already said how I liked Apple, so I feel like the Buckeye promoter of the board but I do have some reservations about Apple. However Vannett is projected to be a mid-rounder and I think he is underrated.

He is an excellent blocker and he's underrated has a receiver. OSU really didn't utilize him in the receiving game, but he did make some big plays when he was given the opportunity.

I guess he also had a big Senior Bowl.

I have the same reservations about Apple, but really do not want Vannett. He's a replacement for Matt Spaeth, not Miller. If we think we need that, then fine, but I don't want us to draft him thinking he's the long-term answer, and I don't want us to reach for him, which we would probably have to do because there are like 3 tight ends worth talking about at all in this draft. If we're lucky and he's around in like R4, then maybe. But I don't think it solves a major problem for us.

Nadroj 20
02-26-2016, 11:25 AM
I have the same reservations about Apple, but really do not want Vannett. He's a replacement for Matt Spaeth, not Miller. If we think we need that, then fine, but I don't want us to draft him thinking he's the long-term answer, and I don't want us to reach for him, which we would probably have to do because there are like 3 tight ends worth talking about at all in this draft. If we're lucky and he's around in like R4, then maybe. But I don't think it solves a major problem for us.

As far as his blocking ability yes he is more similar to Spaeth, but what I've been reading is that he is actually a great receiving tight end as well, Ohio State just doesn't have a TE friendly offense. So he has the potential to be the complete package as one guy.

You're right about not solving a major problem though, so it's going to have to be a pick that just kind of happens. The right situation type of thing, like him falling to us.

steelreserve
02-26-2016, 11:41 AM
As far as his blocking ability yes he is more similar to Spaeth, but what I've been reading is that he is actually a great receiving tight end as well, Ohio State just doesn't have a TE friendly offense. So he has the potential to be the complete package as one guy.

You're right about not solving a major problem though, so it's going to have to be a pick that just kind of happens. The right situation type of thing, like him falling to us.

Yeah, he's more of a right-place-right-time pick than a go-out-and-get-him pick if you ask me.

Now on the other hand, would you want Matt Spaeth as your #1 starter at TE? That's basically what we have as our NT/third DE.

Steve McLendon, the Matt Spaeth of the defensive line: Good at one or two specific things, but wholly inadequate as a starter. THAT'S why that position needs an upgrade much more urgently.

Shoes
02-27-2016, 11:15 AM
If Henry, Hooper and Vannet slip by us, I'd take Tyler Higbee...he has a *Gronk* likeness to his play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEwjgwkbs0

For a late round WR.... Tajae Sharpe, not a speedster but great hands and very good route runner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN7J0341wrc

st33lersguy
02-27-2016, 05:15 PM
... and think of how good of a player we get if we take one at #25. We'll get a player who is not just good but dominant. And we need a dominant NT or DE/DT a lot more than a dominant TE. I like that better than waiting until the middle rounds to get a pretty-good player.

Agreed, a dominant DL would be a much smarter move than merely selecting the best TE by default in an extraordinarily weak TE class when you consider that a dominant DL that can help keep Heyward and Tuitt fresh on a weak defense would be more valuable than a TE on an already elite offense with numerous capable pass-catchers and a solid O-line

hawaiiansteeler
02-27-2016, 07:43 PM
Stanford tight end Austin Hooper a quick study when it comes to Steelers

February 26, 2016
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2016/02/26/ca11,0,4110,2733/Austin-Hooper-Stanford.jpg

Stanford tight end Austin Hooper answers a question Thursday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

INDIANAPOLIS — As a student at Stanford, tight end Austin Hooper always knew to do his homework. He has certainly done it as he prepares to embark on his pro football career.

“I mean, I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t study teams who need them,” Hooper said Thursday at the NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. “I take a look at teams who release tight ends, teams that let other guys go, not just cut them, but allow them to hit the free-agent market; and other teams that have multiple tight ends.”

Hooper was asked if he was aware Heath Miller retired from the Steelers.

“Yes, I noticed that,” Hooper said quickly. Then, to show just how much he pays attention, he quickly added, “And Rob Blanchflower is no longer part of the Steelers I believe, too.”

Now that’s really doing your homework.

“Oh yeah,” Hooper said. “Got to do my Stanford thing.”

Part of doing the Stanford thing also is upholding the school’s tight-end tradition, something Hooper has done following in the big footsteps of Coby Fleener, Levine Toilolo and Zach Ertz.

Hooper is one of the top tight ends at the combine — draft analyst Mike Mayock of the NFL Network has him rated No. 2 behind Hunter Henry of Arkansas — and, as such, has commanded the attention of the Steelers, who will be looking for someone to help ease Miller’s retirement.

The Steelers were among the teams with whom Hooper was officially scheduled to interview Thursday night. Hooper already had met Steelers tight end coach James Daniel the other night.

“Great organization,” Hooper said. “Coach J.D. seems like a real knowledgeable guy, so hopefully I can pick his brain a little bit later.”

Hooper, who measured at 6 feet 4¾, 254 pounds, can move away from the line of scrimmage, something that many teams desire for spread formations. But he said he also is big enough and strong enough to be a good in-line blocker. That combination is something the Steelers desire in their tight ends.

“I’m very physical,” Hooper said. “I grew up playing defensive line my whole life until I came to college, so the physical side of the game of football isn’t something that scares me in the slightest. I feel confident with my abilities and, hopefully, a team does, too.”

Hooper isn’t concerned that he’s not the tallest of the top tight ends in the draft class. Both Henry and Ohio State’s Nick Vannett, another top prospect in what is considered a weak class of tight ends, are 6-6. Hooper said he makes up for that with ability.

“My blocking ability, my route-running ability, my catching ability,” he said, “And if a team doesn’t like me because I’m a quarter-inch too small, then it is what it is. Hopefully, another team will.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/02/26/Stanford-tight-end-Austin-Hooper-a-quick-study-when-it-comes-to-Steelers/stories/201602260142

Shoes
02-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Stanford tight end Austin Hooper a quick study when it comes to Steelers

February 26, 2016

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2016/02/26/ca11,0,4110,2733/Austin-Hooper-Stanford.jpg

Stanford tight end Austin Hooper answers a question Thursday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

INDIANAPOLIS — As a student at Stanford, tight end Austin Hooper always knew to do his homework. He has certainly done it as he prepares to embark on his pro football career.

“I mean, I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t study teams who need them,” Hooper said Thursday at the NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. “I take a look at teams who release tight ends, teams that let other guys go, not just cut them, but allow them to hit the free-agent market; and other teams that have multiple tight ends.”

Hooper was asked if he was aware Heath Miller retired from the Steelers.

“Yes, I noticed that,” Hooper said quickly. Then, to show just how much he pays attention, he quickly added, “And Rob Blanchflower is no longer part of the Steelers I believe, too.”

Now that’s really doing your homework.

“Oh yeah,” Hooper said. “Got to do my Stanford thing.”

Part of doing the Stanford thing also is upholding the school’s tight-end tradition, something Hooper has done following in the big footsteps of Coby Fleener, Levine Toilolo and Zach Ertz.

Hooper is one of the top tight ends at the combine — draft analyst Mike Mayock of the NFL Network has him rated No. 2 behind Hunter Henry of Arkansas — and, as such, has commanded the attention of the Steelers, who will be looking for someone to help ease Miller’s retirement.

The Steelers were among the teams with whom Hooper was officially scheduled to interview Thursday night. Hooper already had met Steelers tight end coach James Daniel the other night.

“Great organization,” Hooper said. “Coach J.D. seems like a real knowledgeable guy, so hopefully I can pick his brain a little bit later.”

Hooper, who measured at 6 feet 4¾, 254 pounds, can move away from the line of scrimmage, something that many teams desire for spread formations. But he said he also is big enough and strong enough to be a good in-line blocker. That combination is something the Steelers desire in their tight ends.

“I’m very physical,” Hooper said. “I grew up playing defensive line my whole life until I came to college, so the physical side of the game of football isn’t something that scares me in the slightest. I feel confident with my abilities and, hopefully, a team does, too.”

Hooper isn’t concerned that he’s not the tallest of the top tight ends in the draft class. Both Henry and Ohio State’s Nick Vannett, another top prospect in what is considered a weak class of tight ends, are 6-6. Hooper said he makes up for that with ability.

“My blocking ability, my route-running ability, my catching ability,” he said, “And if a team doesn’t like me because I’m a quarter-inch too small, then it is what it is. Hopefully, another team will.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/02/26/Stanford-tight-end-Austin-Hooper-a-quick-study-when-it-comes-to-Steelers/stories/201602260142

I'd be fine with Hooper, maybe his buddy Garnett also. Probably going to lose Foster or Beach so Munch will get his pick and I believe he already spoke with Garnett.

hawaiiansteeler
02-27-2016, 09:48 PM
NFL SCOUTING COMBINE: TOP TE STANDOUTS

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/JerellAdamsCombine.jpg

Jerell Adams was among the tight ends to produce strong performances at the combine. How did he and the others grade during the season?

Players’ collegiate production and on-field performance is the most important part of evaluating prospects in the run-up to the draft, but the combine can at least alter perceptions and cause some players to move higher or lower on draft boards. Whether it leads people astray or not, there will be players that make or lose money based on the numbers they put up in Indianapolis.

How did the top performers in Saturday’s TE workouts grade out according to PFF this season? Let’s take a look:

1. Jerell Adams, South Carolina

This is not a tight end class blessed with super-athletes, but arguably the best performance of the group in Indy came from Adams. His 4.66-second 40-yard dash time was the fastest posted, and his 10-yard split was among the best. He also checked in with prototypical size for the position at 6-foot-5, 247 pounds. Adams this season graded positively at PFF, but it was almost entirely as a run-blocker; he earned ninth-best grade in the nation, including many players who were blocking specialists in run-heavy offenses.

Adams did catch 28 passes, scored three times and broke 10 tackles after the catch, but he also dropped five balls over the season and was only average as a receiving threat. He is a mid-round prospect in this draft, but in a weak TE class he may have raised his stock a little based on solid workout numbers.

2. Austin Hooper, Stanford

Hooper is seen by many as the second-best TE in this class behind Hunter Henry from Arkansas (who did not work out). At 10 and 5/8 inches, his hands were the biggest of any TE measured, and he has shown the ability to make spectacular catches at Stanford, but he also posted a solid 4.73 40 time at 254 pounds.

This season Hooper was one of only seven TEs in the country to post solid positive grades as both a receiver and a run-blocker. He caught 63 percent of the passes thrown his way, as well as six touchdowns, but did have five drops to his name. Hooper was solid if unspectacular for Stanford, but did at least show in his workouts that he has a greater athletic profile than many will have been expecting, and does have the potential to justify his status as the second-best prospect at his position.

to read rest of article:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/27/nfl-scouting-combine-top-te-standouts/

Shoes
02-28-2016, 02:18 PM
Henry has got some good hands! Look who's watching him on the bench press when he drops the weight down to his chest (top right corner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qY44E6bm2A

tube517
02-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Henry has got some good hands! Look who's watching him on the bench press when he drops the weight down to his chest (top right corner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qY44E6bm2A

Can't watch it because Dickhead Goodhell took it down

Shoes
02-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Can't watch it because Dickhead Goodhell took it down

Click on the *Watch on Youtube*

tube517
02-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Click on the *Watch on Youtube*

:thumbsup:

Thanks! Goodhell still sux.....:chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
03-01-2016, 07:26 PM
2016 NFL Draft Stock Down

Henry Henry, TE, Arkansas

The consensus top tight end prospect is Arkansas' Hunter Henry, but he had a disappointing showing at the combine. Henry (6-5, 250) had a poor total on the bench press of only 13 reps of 225 pounds. It was disappointing that he didn't run the 40 or do the other jump measurements, but he did take part in the field work.

However, based on how Henry performed there, he should have declined to do that as well. He had a poor workout as a blocker and receiver. On numerous plays, Henry wasn't running the routes correctly around the cones. It seemed like he was disinterested and didn't want to be there. Sources said they felt Henry's workout was poor as well. Overall, he didn't perform well at the combine, but it probably isn't bad enough to change his status as the top tight end prospect.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016stock_24.php#c72w2OgdEsS8T180.99

Shoes
03-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Palazzolo writes of the Steelers selection of Henry:
Even before longtime tight end Heath Miller announced his retirement, the Steelers were in the market for his replacement so nabbing the best option in the draft makes a lot of sense. The sure-handed Henry has only dropped two of 90 catchable passes the last two years, and he has the size and speed to stretch the middle of the field for an already-loaded Pittsburgh passing attack.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/pff-2016-mock-draft-4-0-steelers-select-arkansas-te-hunter-henry-25th-overall/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/pff-2016-mock-draft-4-0-steelers-select-arkansas-te-hunter-henry-25th-overall/)

hawaiiansteeler
03-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Best team fits for free agents

By Around The NFL NFL.com
Published: March 3, 2016

Dwayne Allen to Steelers

"Everybody's looking for a Heath Miller, the all-around traditional tight end that can block, can catch," Bruce Arians said last week. Dwayne Allen is that traditional tight end, as referenced Wednesday. If the Steelers land him as Miller's replacement, they can scratch tight end off their shopping list and concentrate on adding secondary help in the early rounds of the draft.

-- Chris Wesseling

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640942/article/best-team-fits-for-free-agents

Nadroj 20
03-04-2016, 08:17 AM
I guess the real question here is what do they think of Jesse James? Can he produce what we need him to produce from the TE position? I beginning to think like a few others here. Forget about TE for this off season. Spend money on free agents and draft picks on players who can help us now.

This could be an audition year for Jesse James. Let's see what we can do with him and we can afford to be weak at tight end since everyone else on our offense is a stud. Let Spaeth be our blocker and go with James.

SteelMember
03-04-2016, 10:11 AM
I guess the real question here is what do they think of Jesse James? Can he produce what we need him to produce from the TE position? I beginning to think like a few others here. Forget about TE for this off season. Spend money on free agents and draft picks on players who can help us now.

This could be an audition year for Jesse James. Let's see what we can do with him and we can afford to be weak at tight end since everyone else on our offense is a stud. Let Spaeth be our blocker and go with James.

Probably gonna still need 3. Injury... James questions... Spaeth won't go into coverage much... Doesn't have to be 1st round... but could. :wink02:

Cyphon25
03-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Probably gonna still need 3. Injury... James questions... Spaeth won't go into coverage much... Doesn't have to be 1st round... but could. :wink02:

We kind of have 3. Will Johnson has worked at the position and while he will never be a number 1 or 2, he can block and catch when asked too.

On top of that there is a lot of hype surrounding Gimble on the practice squad. So 4ish TE's on the roster coming into the season.

tube517
03-04-2016, 10:44 AM
We kind of have 3. Will Johnson has worked at the position and while he will never be a number 1 or 2, he can block and catch when asked too.

On top of that there is a lot of hype surrounding Gimble on the practice squad. So 4ish TE's on the roster coming into the season.

Isn't Will Johnson more of a FB now? ( I know there is a fine line between FB and backup TE with the Steelers) Seems like they like Nix because he plays FB and ST's. Will they keep 2 FB's again?

SteelMember
03-04-2016, 10:56 AM

I'm not gonna count Johnson as a TE, and even if there is something to Gimble, that's still 2 question marks out of 3 on a (potential) roster.

Probably gonna need at least 2 more TE's by training camp... just for some healthy competition.

Cyphon25
03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Isn't Will Johnson more of a FB now? ( I know there is a fine line between FB and backup TE with the Steelers) Seems like they like Nix because he plays FB and ST's. Will they keep 2 FB's again?

The opposite actually. Will Johnson was an FB only and last season they started working him as a TE. I don't know how serious they are about it but with the way Nix performed last year Will Johnson better be a TE or he probably won't stick around.

Sad too because he has always been an underused but solid contributor. Maybe he is just too average at either position to really beat out the other guys.

Nadroj 20
03-04-2016, 11:18 AM
The opposite actually. Will Johnson was an FB only and last season they started working him as a TE. I don't know how serious they are about it but with the way Nix performed last year Will Johnson better be a TE or he probably won't stick around.

Sad too because he has always been an underused but solid contributor. Maybe he is just too average at either position to really beat out the other guys.

I have no problem with continuing to work Will Johnson as a TE and using Nix as our primary FB.

tube517
03-04-2016, 11:21 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/2015-player-exit-meetings-tefb-will-johnson/

steelreserve
03-04-2016, 11:24 AM
There is absolutely no reason we need an upgrade over Will Johnson. He's the freaking third tight end. That player is on the field maybe 2 or 3 times a game in goal-line situations, and even then they might just go with an extra offensive lineman. All this talk about needing to add more TEs for depth is ridiculous. Maybe a practice-squad guy in case someone gets hurt.

The real question IMO is whether we think James can handle the #1 job well enough or not. And really, we ought to try that out, because otherwise he goes back to #3 -> never playing -> wasted pick. Which normally wouldn't be too bad considering it was a 5th-rounder, except this guy was actually showing signs of promise.

Nadroj 20
03-04-2016, 11:36 AM
There is absolutely no reason we need an upgrade over Will Johnson. He's the freaking third tight end. That player is on the field maybe 2 or 3 times a game in goal-line situations, and even then they might just go with an extra offensive lineman. All this talk about needing to add more TEs for depth is ridiculous. Maybe a practice-squad guy in case someone gets hurt.

The real question IMO is whether we think James can handle the #1 job well enough or not. And really, we ought to try that out, because otherwise he goes back to #3 -> never playing -> wasted pick. Which normally wouldn't be too bad considering it was a 5th-rounder, except this guy was actually showing signs of promise.

This. And because our offense is so good to begin with we can afford a trial year from James to see what we've got.

steelreserve
03-04-2016, 11:47 AM
This. And because our offense is so good to begin with we can afford a trial year from James to see what we've got.

Yeah, I've never heard it said of a team, "They had a real shot to win the Super Bowl, but the one missing piece was the tight end." That's a nice-to-have on this team, and who knows, we might already have it.

And on top of that, if we draft a guy to be the starter - even in the first round - to me that's just as much a roll of the dice as James. Why would we do that? We can make the same bet without using any draft picks at all.

Mojouw
03-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I've never heard it said of a team, "They had a real shot to win the Super Bowl, but the one missing piece was the tight end." That's a nice-to-have on this team, and who knows, we might already have it.

And on top of that, if we draft a guy to be the starter - even in the first round - to me that's just as much a roll of the dice as James. Why would we do that? We can make the same bet without using any draft picks at all.

It comes down to reliability. A picture of Heath Miller may be in the dictionary next to the word "reliable". While the Steelers or almost any other team does not NEED a high end TE, it does help. For instance, here in Wisconsin, the Packers lost reliable options at the TE position and Jordy Nelson got hurt and then suddenly without the ability to attack the seams downfield, the whole skill position group had difficulty getting open.

But what does the loss of a reliable TE mean for the Steelers? It means, at least to me, 4 primary things/questions need answered:
1. Can the new starter block in line well enough?
2. Can the TE consistently work open in the 5-10 area between the hashes?
3. Can the TE seal the edge wide of the OT tackle on running plays and WR screens? In other words can the new TE block well enough to lead Bell, Bryant, and Brown to the sideline like Miller was always assumed to be able to do.
4. Can the new TE quickly establish a rapport with Roethlisberger? More than anyone else, Miller has always been Ben's security blanket.

Depending on the answers to those questions, the Steelers will react accordingly. I hope that James is the answer, it saves a draft pick for another need.

SteelMember
03-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Don't know why you get so butt hurt. It's just discussion... and it's not like you're gonna get the pick you want anyway. =P

steelreserve
03-04-2016, 01:53 PM
It comes down to reliability. A picture of Heath Miller may be in the dictionary next to the word "reliable". While the Steelers or almost any other team does not NEED a high end TE, it does help. For instance, here in Wisconsin, the Packers lost reliable options at the TE position and Jordy Nelson got hurt and then suddenly without the ability to attack the seams downfield, the whole skill position group had difficulty getting open.

But what does the loss of a reliable TE mean for the Steelers? It means, at least to me, 4 primary things/questions need answered:
1. Can the new starter block in line well enough?
2. Can the TE consistently work open in the 5-10 area between the hashes?
3. Can the TE seal the edge wide of the OT tackle on running plays and WR screens? In other words can the new TE block well enough to lead Bell, Bryant, and Brown to the sideline like Miller was always assumed to be able to do.
4. Can the new TE quickly establish a rapport with Roethlisberger? More than anyone else, Miller has always been Ben's security blanket.

Depending on the answers to those questions, the Steelers will react accordingly. I hope that James is the answer, it saves a draft pick for another need.

I have a pretty good feeling about #2 and #4 based on what I've seen ... the others I have to admit are wide open. But it's a good enough start that I think it's worth finding out. Maybe he's the answer or maybe not, but he's certainly done nothing to indicate we should rule him out.

Don't know why you get so butt hurt. It's just discussion... and it's not like you're gonna get the pick you want anyway. =P

That wasn't supposed to be butthurt; sorry if it sounded that way. I was just trying to emphasize what a shitty position the third tight end is.

SteelMember
03-04-2016, 03:01 PM
That wasn't supposed to be butthurt; sorry if it sounded that way. I was just trying to emphasize what a shitty position the third tight end is.

It's all good. :drink:

Just looked like one of those years we may go offense in the first round, and possibly needing a TE over a lot of other offensive positions we can hit, put us right in the Henry discussion at (25). Just a theory on my part. I had a similar feeling when we drafted DeCastro. Everyone clamored for CB... what year don't we, because the consensus was he'd be gone by then. The thing was, sure, OT's go early, but not interior linemen that are NOT highly rated centers or Guards 'projected' to possibly be OT's. We were due after a couple years of getting screwed from a couple picks right before us.

Personally, I think any of the top 5-6 TE's would serve us just fine. If I've learned anything from watching the Steelers draft, it's that the more sure you think you are... the more times you're wrong.

James could indeed be the man. I watched a lot of Penn State games, and he was a great player for them. I had just hoped he would have gotten more than the single year behind Earl. That type of teaching is priceless, imho.

st33lersguy
03-04-2016, 06:31 PM

I've been thinking all of these things as reasons why we shouldn't draft a TE in round 1. That combined with the fact that the offense is way ahead of the defense.

BlackAndGold
03-07-2016, 01:20 PM
DHB re-signs on a 3 years deal worth $3.5M

Shoes
03-07-2016, 01:24 PM
DHB re-signs on a 3 years deal worth $3.5M

Thats not a bad deal, he is serviceable and has improved.

Shoes
03-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Good News.... :chuckle:

Report: Colts Have Re-Signed TE Dwayne Allen

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/)MARCH 7, 2016 AT 08:03 PM

For those of you wanting the Pittsburgh Steelers to sign tight end Dwayne Allen during free agency, you can now move on to another player.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-colts-have-re-signed-te-dwayne-allen/

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Good News.... :chuckle:

Report: Colts Have Re-Signed TE Dwayne Allen

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/)MARCH 7, 2016 AT 08:03 PM

For those of you wanting the Pittsburgh Steelers to sign tight end Dwayne Allen during free agency, you can now move on to another player.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-colts-have-re-signed-te-dwayne-allen/

holy moly, Allen got a four-year, $29.4 million deal. :horror:

he’ll receive $12 million in year one, $17 million total through two years and $22 million through three years which includes $16 million guaranteed...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/colts-keep-dwayne-allen-on-a-four-year-deal/

Shoes
03-07-2016, 09:25 PM
holy moly, Allen got a four-year, $29.4 million deal. :horror:

he’ll receive $12 million in year one, $17 million total through two years and $22 million through three years which includes $16 million guaranteed...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/colts-keep-dwayne-allen-on-a-four-year-deal/

I expected him to get paid, but not that much.

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
I expected him to get paid, but not that much.

Colts re-sign TE Dwayne Allen (4 years, $29.4 million): C- Grade

This is exactly what happens when a team has a chance to get rid of an incompetent general manager, but doesn't. Ryan Grigson, who still somehow has a job, had one major task this offseason, which was to improve Andrew Luck's offensive line. He might still do that, but he has decided to continue with his original failed strategy, which is to dedicate chunks of cap room to underwhelming players.

Allen is an OK tight end, but this sort of compensation is ridiculous. Allen isn't worth half as much as the $29.4 million over four years that he's receiving. He's a solid blocker, but he happens to be inconsistent in the passing game. His durability is the biggest issue, however. He has missed 21 games in the past three years.

Heading into free agency, I had Allen pegged as a two-star player. I wrote that he was a nice buy-low candidate who could be obtained cheaply. Grigson clearly didn't get the memo.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#RHeRlfC3rHbZAQ0w.99

86WARD
03-08-2016, 02:35 PM
That's ridiculous...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2016, 03:13 PM
2016 NFL Draft: BTSC 5-Round Mock Draft: Post-Combine Edition

Mar 8, 2016

2(58) Pittsburgh Steelers - Austin Hooper TE, Stanford

There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to Heath Miller's retiring within the mock draft community. Many have started to slot Hunter Henry to the Steelers at pick 25, the ones that don't have them taking a CB anyway. Given how the Steelers see 2015 5th round pick Jesse James they could invest in an early pick at the position but it's not a dire need, with the Steelers most likely wanting to see what they have in James after a full season with him as the go-to guy at the position. However, it shouldn't preclude the Steelers from spending a pick at the position if they feel the value is worth it, given that Jesse James is still very much an uncertainty.

At a tick under 6-foot-4, and 254 pounds, Austin Hooper did well at the combine. He had the third fastest 40 among TE's at 4.72 and was very solid in both the receiving and blocking drills. Hooper also checked in with the largest hands of any TE prospect at 10 5/8inchs. Where he really shined was in the interview process, where by all accounts is a very smart, high character guy who loves the game. During the media session he went out of his way to say that he had an interview scheduled with the Steelers, that he was aware Heath Miller retired, and even knew that Rob Branchflower was no longer with the team. Perhaps it was simple pandering but he sounds like a guy who wants to wear the Black 'n Gold.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/3/8/11125956/2016-nfl-draft-btsc-5-round-mock-draft-post-combine-edition

Shoes
03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
2016 NFL Draft: BTSC 5-Round Mock Draft: Post-Combine Edition

Mar 8, 2016

2(58) Pittsburgh Steelers - Austin Hooper TE, Stanford

There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to Heath Miller's retiring within the mock draft community. Many have started to slot Hunter Henry to the Steelers at pick 25, the ones that don't have them taking a CB anyway. Given how the Steelers see 2015 5th round pick Jesse James they could invest in an early pick at the position but it's not a dire need, with the Steelers most likely wanting to see what they have in James after a full season with him as the go-to guy at the position. However, it shouldn't preclude the Steelers from spending a pick at the position if they feel the value is worth it, given that Jesse James is still very much an uncertainty.

At a tick under 6-foot-4, and 254 pounds, Austin Hooper did well at the combine. He had the third fastest 40 among TE's at 4.72 and was very solid in both the receiving and blocking drills. Hooper also checked in with the largest hands of any TE prospect at 10 5/8inchs. Where he really shined was in the interview process, where by all accounts is a very smart, high character guy who loves the game. During the media session he went out of his way to say that he had an interview scheduled with the Steelers, that he was aware Heath Miller retired, and even knew that Rob Branchflower was no longer with the team. Perhaps it was simple pandering but he sounds like a guy who wants to wear the Black 'n Gold.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/3/8/11125956/2016-nfl-draft-btsc-5-round-mock-draft-post-combine-edition

Thanks for the link! I'd be happy with Hooper. Henry said he would like to play for Atlanta and I've seen a few mocks where Hooper went before Henry

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 01:50 AM
Wexell has said that many in the organization don't believe a TE will be drafted this year, they may truly be high on James and Grimble(he's been spoken highly of during his time on the PS)

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 07:46 AM
@RapSheet (https://twitter.com/RapSheet)

#Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) have been in the tight end market with Heath Miller retiring. Ladarius Green, Coby Fleener, Jared Cook the names to watch

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 07:50 AM

#Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) have been in the tight end market with Heath Miller retiring. Ladarius Green, Coby Fleener, Jared Cook the names to watch

It's the thing to do.I prefer to have a TE in the free agency than in the draft.

Born2Steel
03-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Wexell has said that many in the organization don't believe a TE will be drafted this year, they may truly be high on James and Grimble(he's been spoken highly of during his time on the PS)

I hope we don't draft a TE this year. I don't think any prospects can come in and do what the guys we already have already do for us. A FA pick up could make sense depending on the deal. Plus, I don't think Heath just left with the cupboard bare, I think he saw his window with the team set.

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 11:35 AM
@AlbertBreer
Source says Chargers TE Ladarius Green is set to visit the Steelers on Thursday -- there is serious interest from both sides. (https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer)

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 11:36 AM

sounds like pure speculation to me. Fleener: bad hands, bad blocker. Cook: bad hands, bad blocker, bad work ethic. Lardarius Green: he could really blow up, which probably means he's out of our price range

BlackAndGold
03-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Seems like Green will sign if things go well.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Seems like Green will sign if things go well.

Ladarius Green to sign with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Katie Sharp on Mar 9, 2016, 12:44p 2

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hxFxcBae37Q3ioqpP2a_QxZFUnc=/0x127:3000x2127/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48990517/GettyImages-495353544.0.jpg

Tight end Ladarius Green is off to fill some big shoes and is set to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. Despite playing in the shadow of future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates during his four seasons in San Diego, Green remains one of the most promising young tight ends in the league and now has the tall task of helping Steelers fans move on from the Heath Miller era.

Primarily a backup since being drafted by the Chargers in 2012, Green's raw stats are hardly impressive. Before last year, he'd never caught 20 passes in a season and had just three touchdowns in 34 games played. He did average a solid 16.5 yards per catch in those three seasons, flashing the potential to be a dynamic and productive receiving threat despite his limited opportunities.

Green was finally given a chance to shine at the beginning of 2015 when Gates was suspended for the first four games, and he delivered with a strong performance in September and October. He caught four touchdowns in his first six games, averaging 51 yards per contest, and looked to be establishing himself as solid option in the Chargers' passing game.

Plagued by injuries and reduced to a part-time role with Gates back in the lineup, however, Green disappeared in the second half of the season. He didn't score after Week 7 and never caught more than two passes in a game during the final two months. With Gates re-signing with the Chargers, it didn't make much sense for Green to return to San Diego.

Green's youth (he doesn't turn 26 until May), athleticism and upside makes him an attractive offensive weapon, though his inconsistency and lack of track record are potential concerns going forward.

The Steelers could be a great fit for Green, though. Miller announced his retirement in February after 11 seasons and 6,569 yards in the Pittsburgh offense. That leaves a void that Green can quickly fill in an offense that is well suited for his talents.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/9/11156014/ladarius-green-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agent-contract

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Any other sources besides Adam Schefter saying we've actually signed Green?

Schefter seems to be fairly reliable from what i can recall

polamalubeast
03-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Any other sources besides Adam Schefter saying we've actually signed Green?

Schefter seems to be fairly reliable from what i can recall

Shoes
03-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Ladarius Green to sign with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Katie Sharp on Mar 9, 2016, 12:44p 2

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hxFxcBae37Q3ioqpP2a_QxZFUnc=/0x127:3000x2127/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48990517/GettyImages-495353544.0.jpg

Tight end Ladarius Green is off to fill some big shoes and is set to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. Despite playing in the shadow of future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates during his four seasons in San Diego, Green remains one of the most promising young tight ends in the league and now has the tall task of helping Steelers fans move on from the Heath Miller era.

Primarily a backup since being drafted by the Chargers in 2012, Green's raw stats are hardly impressive. Before last year, he'd never caught 20 passes in a season and had just three touchdowns in 34 games played. He did average a solid 16.5 yards per catch in those three seasons, flashing the potential to be a dynamic and productive receiving threat despite his limited opportunities.

Green was finally given a chance to shine at the beginning of 2015 when Gates was suspended for the first four games, and he delivered with a strong performance in September and October. He caught four touchdowns in his first six games, averaging 51 yards per contest, and looked to be establishing himself as solid option in the Chargers' passing game.

Plagued by injuries and reduced to a part-time role with Gates back in the lineup, however, Green disappeared in the second half of the season. He didn't score after Week 7 and never caught more than two passes in a game during the final two months. With Gates re-signing with the Chargers, it didn't make much sense for Green to return to San Diego.

Green's youth (he doesn't turn 26 until May), athleticism and upside makes him an attractive offensive weapon, though his inconsistency and lack of track record are potential concerns going forward.

The Steelers could be a great fit for Green, though. Miller announced his retirement in February after 11 seasons and 6,569 yards in the Pittsburgh offense. That leaves a void that Green can quickly fill in an offense that is well suited for his talents.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/9/11156014/ladarius-green-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agent-contract

Inconsistency? What might that be? Hope it works out and he puts Weddle in his back pocket.

teegre
03-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Inconsistency? What might that be? Hope it works out and he puts Weddle in his back pocket.

When Gates was on the field, Philip Rivers' thought progression looked like this:

1. Gates
2. Gates
3. Where's LaDainian???
4. Damn, I have a lot of kids.
5. INT

(Yes... those two Chargers would make my off-season.)

Shoes
03-09-2016, 01:43 PM
When Gates was on the field, Philip Rivers' thought progression looked like this:

1. Gates
2. Gates
3. Where's LaDainian???
5. INT

:chuckle:

Mojouw
03-09-2016, 01:43 PM

1. Gates
2. Gates
3. Where's LaDainian???
5. INT

You, sir - have won the internet for the day. "Damn, I have a lot of kids". I'm going to be laughing at that for the rest of the day.

hawaiiansteeler
03-09-2016, 06:21 PM
That's ridiculous...lol.

Coby Fleener signs 5-year, $36 million deal with the Saints

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/9/11154988/coby-fleener-free-agent-contract-saints

86WARD
03-09-2016, 06:29 PM
That's huge for the Saints.

Born2Steel
03-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Signing Fleener already makes Saints fans say, Benjamin who?

(Anyone remember the Archie Who? shirts?)

st33lersguy
03-09-2016, 08:42 PM
4 years $20 million for Green

Shoes
03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
I know you all will love this. :chuckle:

Report: Steelers Worked Extra With Ohio State TE Nick Vannett At Friday Pro Day

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) MARCH 11, 2016 AT 02:16 PM
Even though the Pittsburgh Steelers signed free agent tight end Ladarius Green to a four-year, $20 million contract this week, the team is still showing interest in draft hopeful tight ends.
According to Zac Jackson of Pro Football Talk, the Steelers were one of several teams that waited for extra time to work with Ohio State tight end Nick Vannett after Friday’s pro day concluded.
Vannett, who measured in at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at 6’6”, 257-pounds, wasn’t used very much in the Ohio State passing game during his four years at the school as he only caught 55 total passes for 585 yards and 6 touchdowns during his college career.
While not used that much in the passing game, Vannett excelled as an end-of-the-line blocker at Ohio State and was also used some as a detached receiver.
The 2016 draft class isn’t rich with tight end talent this year and especially when it comes to players who can both function as both a receiver and blocker. For that reason, Vannett is expected to hear his name called during this year’s draft somewhere within the first three rounds.
The Steelers offseason roster currently includes tight ends Green, Jesse James, Matt Spaeth and former undrafted free agent Xavier Grimble. A few weeks ago, veteran tight end Heath Millerdecided to retire.
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was present at the Ohio State pro day in addition to other members of the organization.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-steelers-worked-extra-with-ohio-state-te-nick-vannett-at-friday-pro-day/

steelreserve
03-11-2016, 01:37 PM
If Vannett is around in like R4, it might be worth looking at him. We've got our pass-catcher; a guy like this would be the 2017-20 replacement for Matt Spaeth with maybe a little more catching ability. Not worth spending a high pick on, but if the value is there then go for it.

I don't think he'll be there in R4 or even R3 though, given the extreme shortage at TE in this draft. Green, James and Spaeth, and we can replace Spaeth next year.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2016, 03:30 PM
I know you all will love this. :chuckle:

Report: Steelers Worked Extra With Ohio State TE Nick Vannett At Friday Pro Day

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) MARCH 11, 2016 AT 02:16 PM
Even though the Pittsburgh Steelers signed free agent tight end Ladarius Green to a four-year, $20 million contract this week, the team is still showing interest in draft hopeful tight ends.
According to Zac Jackson of Pro Football Talk, the Steelers were one of several teams that waited for extra time to work with Ohio State tight end Nick Vannett after Friday’s pro day concluded.
Vannett, who measured in at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at 6’6”, 257-pounds, wasn’t used very much in the Ohio State passing game during his four years at the school as he only caught 55 total passes for 585 yards and 6 touchdowns during his college career.
While not used that much in the passing game, Vannett excelled as an end-of-the-line blocker at Ohio State and was also used some as a detached receiver.
The 2016 draft class isn’t rich with tight end talent this year and especially when it comes to players who can both function as both a receiver and blocker. For that reason, Vannett is expected to hear his name called during this year’s draft somewhere within the first three rounds.
The Steelers offseason roster currently includes tight ends Green, Jesse James, Matt Spaeth and former undrafted free agent Xavier Grimble. A few weeks ago, veteran tight end Heath Millerdecided to retire.
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was present at the Ohio State pro day in addition to other members of the organization.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-steelers-worked-extra-with-ohio-state-te-nick-vannett-at-friday-pro-day/

meh. i just see it as due diligence more than anything. the steelers always keep a close eye at OSU and they spam draft their kids, so they probably felt they might as well look at everyone. if we picked him in R4, Seems to me that Spaeth is definitely gone. That would be an unusually promising looking group of tight ends, despite the lack of experience

Shoes
03-11-2016, 03:52 PM
meh. i just see it as due diligence more than anything. the steelers always keep a close eye at OSU and they spam draft their kids, so they probably felt they might as well look at everyone. if we picked him in R4, Seems to me that Spaeth is definitely gone. That would be an unusually promising looking group of tight ends, despite the lack of experience

Thats my point in drafting a TE. Spaeth & James aren't going to get it done. I agree , I think Spaeth is on his way out, I still think if Hooper fell to R2 the Steelers will take him. If not I'd pass on Vannett and take Tyler Higbee in R4

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2016, 11:55 PM
Steelers spotlight: In a tight spot no more at tight end

March 13, 2016

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2016/03/10/ca0,249,2607,2856/AP-976909160227-2.jpg

Rather than using an early draft pick on a tight end, the Steelers have their Heath Miller replacement in free-agent signing Ladarius Green.

The Steelers knew tight end Heath Miller had lost a step and was having trouble getting open against man coverage. And they knew they would likely have to find his replacement in the 2016 draft, something they considered even last year.

That was even before Miller announced last month he was retiring after 11 seasons with the team that drafted him in the first round in 2005. The Steelers hoped they might be able to squeeze one more season out of Miller, the team’s all-time leader in catches (592), receiving yards (6,569) and touchdowns (45) for a tight end.

At that point, it appeared to become mandatory, if not urgent, to draft Miller’s replacement, their tight end of the future.

The Steelers likely aren’t panicking.

Especially now that they signed former San Diego Chargers tight end Ladarius Green in free agency.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/03/13/Steelers-spotlight-In-a-tight-spot-no-more-at-tight-end-Ladarius-Green/stories/201603130135

Shoes
03-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Steelers talking with VT TE Ryan Malleck

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-te-coach-spent-time-with-virginia-tech-te-ryan-malleck-at-pro-day/

tube517
03-16-2016, 05:48 PM
As much as I would love for him to be a Steeler we have other needs.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
03-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Steelers talking with VT TE Ryan Malleck

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-te-coach-spent-time-with-virginia-tech-te-ryan-malleck-at-pro-day/

he can be this year's obligatory 7th round TE draft pick...

Shoes
03-16-2016, 08:51 PM

:chuckle:

Shoes
03-17-2016, 10:32 PM
For a R7 WR, I'd take Daniel Braverman, shifty, quick and good hands. Looks like a New England type receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1E0NUGfKFU

steelreserve
03-18-2016, 12:04 AM

Still gotta have one!

Born2Steel
03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
TEs: Green, Grimble, James, and Spaeth

WRs: AB, Wheaton, DHB, Coates, and Phillips

No reason to select either, IMO. Maybe invite some undrafted to camp and see what shakes out. DL, OL, DB, and LB, with possibly depth at RB. I will be surprised if we go outside those positions this year. There is some talent out there, just no need to get it.

polamalubeast
03-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Shoes
03-20-2016, 12:22 PM

Smoke Screen :chuckle:

steelerkitty
03-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Maybe but he still is Raw and Injuries always seem to happen at some point. As far as drafting one, well I Love the Pitt kid Tyler Boyd. Best hands I have ever seen. But we can't take him in round 1, and even if we wanted him in round 2, I doubt he will be there.

Mojouw
03-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Maybe but he still is Raw and Injuries always seem to happen at some point. As far as drafting one, well I Love the Pitt kid Tyler Boyd. Best hands I have ever seen. But we can't take him in round 1, and even if we wanted him in round 2, I doubt he will be there.

I agree with your overall argument. I don't like the idea of being one turned ankle away from saying "Well, DHB has to step up and catch at least 6 balls today for the offense to work". I am not certain that a draft pick is needed. They have at least 3 WRs in the system currently. Based on their recent track record with WRs - I'm willing to take it on faith that one of these random players can be groomed to step up to the 53 man roster.

steelerkitty
03-20-2016, 12:40 PM
I agree with your overall argument. I don't like the idea of being one turned ankle away from saying "Well, DHB has to step up and catch at least 6 balls today for the offense to work". I am not certain that a draft pick is needed. They have at least 3 WRs in the system currently. Based on their recent track record with WRs - I'm willing to take it on faith that one of these random players can be groomed to step up to the 53 man roster.

It will take time but, if we can see the growth of players I like, as well as you do in Coates and Jesse James, and when Green learns our offense...if they, as well as Brown and Wheaton and BELL can all be healthy near the end of the regular season, then offensively we will be fine.

Mojouw
03-20-2016, 01:36 PM
It will take time but, if we can see the growth of players I like, as well as you do in Coates and Jesse James, and when Green learns our offense...if they, as well as Brown and Wheaton and BELL can all be healthy near the end of the regular season, then offensively we will be fine.

Very true. But it is not only this year. but the next 2-3 as well. The current run of offensive success has been built around Ben and talented WRs. The pipe needs to stay primed to replace expensive talent (Wallace, Sanders, assumed to be Wheaton) with cheap, young talent. That means a young WR needs to be found almost every off-season.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/18/steelers-staring-down-a-wide-receiver-crisis-in-near-future/

zulater
03-20-2016, 02:07 PM

Wont happen. The Steelers never pick Pitt players. Not saying this to be argumentative, in fact I would like to see them draft him myself. But for some reason year after year the Steelers ignore Pitt players.:noidea:

86WARD
03-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Wont happen. The Steelers never pick Pitt players. Not saying this to be argumentative, in fact I would like to see them draft him myself. But for some reason year after year the Steelers ignore Pitt players.:noidea:

There were plenty of rumors out there that they wanted Revis until the Jets jumped up and stole him. Maybe they just haven't gotten one they wanted or there wasn't a fit?

Mojouw
03-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Pretty simple. Look at this list - http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/p

Pitt players are either really good and go in the top 15 where the Steelers rarely draft - or they are guys I've never heard of.

That being said, they do love them some The Ohio State players. I hate the Buckeyes, and I don't even really follow college football

86WARD
03-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Pretty much my thoughts.

zulater
03-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Pretty simple. Look at this list - http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/p

Pitt players are either really good and go in the top 15 where the Steelers rarely draft - or they are guys I've never heard of.

That being said, they do love them some The Ohio State players. I hate the Buckeyes, and I don't even really follow college football

I realize its one of those coincidental oddities, and they could go and draft a half dozen Panthers in the next 5 years for all anyone knows. But as someone who follows Pitt it's hard not to notice Panthers never end up drafted by the Steelers.

I blame it on Pitt tackle Tom Ricketts, who they drafted with one of their first round picks in 89 and who proved a monumental bust. :doh: :wink02:

Shoes
04-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Dumb A$$!!!

Draft Stock Of WKU TE Tyler Higbee Now In Question Following Sunday Arrest

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) APRIL 10, 2016 AT 06:49 PM
With less than three weeks to go until the start of the 2016 NFL Draft, many analysts had Western Kentucky tight end Tyler Higbee as one of the top two or three players at his position in this year’s class. Now, thanks to Higbee being arrested Sunday morning and charged with second-degree assault, alcohol intoxication in a public place and second-degree fleeing for evading police, his future draft status is now in question.
According to Zach Greenwell of the Bowling Green Daily News, Higbee was reportedly booked (http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/former-wku-te-tyler-higbee-arrested-charged-with-assault-fleeing/article_e05bfbfc-ff43-11e5-b0ba-57024587fa2c.html)at the Warren County Regional Jail at 2:41 a.m. Sunday and held on a $10,000 bond until he was ultimately released at 3:15 p.m. Sunday.
The 6-foot-6, 250-pound Higbee caught 48 passes for 563 yards and eight touchdowns last season despite missing five games with a knee injury. At his pro day last month, Higbee was still limited in what he could do as far as on-field workouts go and that won’t change prior to the draft taking place.
It will now be interesting to see just how far Higbee falls in this year’s draft due to his Sunday incident. While some are going as far as to speculate that he could wind up going unselected, I’m willing to bet a team takes a chance on him somewhere after the fourth round.
This year’s draft class is really top-heavy when it comes to the tight end position. In fact, Arkansas’ Hunter Henry is perhaps the only young tight end likely to be drafted in the first two rounds.
As for the Pittsburgh Steelers, their need for a tight end in this year’s draft diminished greatly when they signed free agent Ladarius Green to a four-year, $20 million contract during the first night of the new league year. That move came on the heels of veteran tight end Heath Miller retiring a few weeks prior to the start of free agency.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/draft-stock-of-wku-te-tyler-higbee-now-in-question-following-sunday-arrest/

Psycho Ward 86
04-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Dumb A$$!!!

Draft Stock Of WKU TE Tyler Higbee Now In Question Following Sunday Arrest

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) APRIL 10, 2016 AT 06:49 PM
With less than three weeks to go until the start of the 2016 NFL Draft, many analysts had Western Kentucky tight end Tyler Higbee as one of the top two or three players at his position in this year’s class. Now, thanks to Higbee being arrested Sunday morning and charged with second-degree assault, alcohol intoxication in a public place and second-degree fleeing for evading police, his future draft status is now in question.
According to Zach Greenwell of the Bowling Green Daily News, Higbee was reportedly booked (http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/former-wku-te-tyler-higbee-arrested-charged-with-assault-fleeing/article_e05bfbfc-ff43-11e5-b0ba-57024587fa2c.html)at the Warren County Regional Jail at 2:41 a.m. Sunday and held on a $10,000 bond until he was ultimately released at 3:15 p.m. Sunday.
The 6-foot-6, 250-pound Higbee caught 48 passes for 563 yards and eight touchdowns last season despite missing five games with a knee injury. At his pro day last month, Higbee was still limited in what he could do as far as on-field workouts go and that won’t change prior to the draft taking place.
It will now be interesting to see just how far Higbee falls in this year’s draft due to his Sunday incident. While some are going as far as to speculate that he could wind up going unselected, I’m willing to bet a team takes a chance on him somewhere after the fourth round.
This year’s draft class is really top-heavy when it comes to the tight end position. In fact, Arkansas’ Hunter Henry is perhaps the only young tight end likely to be drafted in the first two rounds.
As for the Pittsburgh Steelers, their need for a tight end in this year’s draft diminished greatly when they signed free agent Ladarius Green to a four-year, $20 million contract during the first night of the new league year. That move came on the heels of veteran tight end Heath Miller retiring a few weeks prior to the start of free agency.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/draft-stock-of-wku-te-tyler-higbee-now-in-question-following-sunday-arrest/

Take a flyer on him anyways if he becomes an undrafted FA or maybe 7th round. Dude could end up right up there with the best tight ends in this draft. Not much to lose.

Shoes
04-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Take a flyer on him anyways if he becomes an undrafted FA or maybe 7th round. Dude could end up right up there with the best tight ends in this draft. Not much to lose.

I surely would, but he's still a dumb A$$, less than 2 weeks before the draft.

Born2Steel
04-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Higbee could be another Jimmy Graham. Great as a pass catcher, but useless as an inline blocker.

86WARD
04-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Just read this stat today...Steelers draft picks by college: 45 picks have come from the University of Pittsburgh...which leads all schools.

86WARD
04-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Also....since 1967, the Steelers have selected 7 WRs with their first round pick. That leads all positions.

Born2Steel
04-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Lynn Swann as the new AD at USC? Anyone?

Psycho Ward 86
04-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Just read this stat today...Steelers draft picks by college: 45 picks have come from the University of Pittsburgh...which leads all schools.

Also....since 1967, the Steelers have selected 7 WRs with their first round pick. That leads all positions.

wow those are both very surprising. especially given how much the board (not just this one but older ones) have lamented about how little interest we seemed to have shown guys like Aaron Donald and Fitzgerald when they were draft prospects. Granted, they were both gone by the time we had picked, but they had a chance to get to us/for us to trade up a little. Getting Ryan Shazier and Big Ben instead made it more than worth it