PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin On Jarvis Jones: 'His Arrow's Pointed Up'

Steeldude
01-24-2016, 08:45 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/mike-tomlin-on-jarvis-jones-his-arrows-pointed-up/

Tomlin was asked if Jones turned out to be a different player than the one they thought they drafted in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft. Tomlin's answer was, "He's what we thought". So a player who pretty much produces nothing on the field is what he hoped for when drafting him in the first round? Simply amazing.

ALLD
01-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Maybe he takes an extension? He's a decent back up and I don't think he's dumber than Shark.

Steeldude
01-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Maybe he takes an extension? He's a decent back up and I don't think he's dumber than Shark.

The problem is that extension could cost $8,000,000+. He isn't worth more than minimum. It won't be hard to replace 2 sacks and 3 QB pressures.

lipps83
01-24-2016, 11:02 AM
If Tomlin's answer is "he's what we thought" than that is pretty much on par with Jarvis Jones workout numbers leading up to the draft. Pretty much the worst of all available linebackers. Steelers got exactly what they saw at the combine and pro days. A 4th or 5th round linebacker in the 1st round.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 02:04 PM
I think Jarvis is what he is. I don't know if there will be anymore growth from him.

UPSteelerFan
01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
In Jarvis's last year in college he had 12 sacks or something like that. But a great majority of those sacks nobody blocked him. It wasn't like he had this great speed or great pash rush moves. That really surprised me the Steelers thought he was a first round talent.

Count Steeler
01-24-2016, 06:04 PM
This was Jarvis' contract year, so you would expect him to perform to the best of his abilities. He is almost 2 years removed from his wrist injury, so I don't buy any excuses about his physical well being.

While he did show some improvement in the latter part of the season, he is nowhere near our 1st stringer at ROLB. If he wants to sign for 3-4 million as a depth OLB, maybe. But to sign as a 8M starter, pass.

teegre
01-24-2016, 06:08 PM
He'll play out his last year... and then, he'll be gone.

If he has 16 sacks and all of a sudden becomes too expensive to re-sign, eh... I'll take that risk.

tube517
01-24-2016, 07:41 PM
None of our great OLBs were 1st round picks. Like Ziggy Hood, he'll be gone after 2016. Probably to Tennessee or Arizona.

86WARD
01-24-2016, 08:05 PM
"Solid."

Craic
01-24-2016, 08:12 PM
While he did show some improvement in the latter part of the season, he is nowhere near our 1st stringer at ROLB. If he wants to sign for 3-4 million as a depth OLB, maybe. But to sign as a 8M starter, pass.

This I agree with. Sign him for that with a lot of bonuses for sacks, defended passes, etc. Make him work for the money.

steelreserve
01-24-2016, 09:43 PM
He'll play out his last year... and then, he'll be gone.

If he has 16 sacks and all of a sudden becomes too expensive to re-sign, eh... I'll take that risk.

Yeah, he showed a little more promise at the very end of the season, but I am not exactly jumping out of my chair. He could be a rotation player / depth guy, and for a backup's salary, but anything else, forget it. I am not going to lose any sleep over it if he walks.

None of our great OLBs were 1st round picks. Like Ziggy Hood, he'll be gone after 2016. Probably to Tennessee or Arizona.

A guy like that, more like Jacksonville.

EzraTank
01-25-2016, 08:49 AM
What do you expect a coach to say? "Yeah he sucks."

He can't do that going into a contract year. If he really sucks in camp next year they will cut him but at his price tag they'll just let him play out his days.

Craic
01-25-2016, 10:21 AM

He can't do that going into a contract year. If he really sucks in camp next year they will cut him but at his price tag they'll just let him play out his days.

Well, that's pretty much what he said about one of our CBs.

Hawkman
01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Well, that's pretty much what he said about one of our CBs.

That CB wasn't a first round draft pick.

steelreserve
01-25-2016, 10:48 AM

They won't cut him because his salary next year is fully guaranteed and we wouldn't even gain a dime to sign someone else with. Barring injury, it is pretty much etched in stone that Jones will be back for one final chance next season.

I hate these situations where a guy shows nothing, most of the time less than nothing, for three years, and then at the very end does just enough to raise questions. Part of me wants him to do nothing again next year to prove once and for all he was a dud, but that same part of me knows we'll just be lining right back up next year to draft another linebacker in the first round ...

That CB wasn't a first round draft pick.

Not to mention, basically hasn't played at all in almost two years.

EzraTank
01-25-2016, 11:22 AM
They won't cut him because his salary next year is fully guaranteed and we wouldn't even gain a dime to sign someone else with. Barring injury, it is pretty much etched in stone that Jones will be back for one final chance next season.

I hate these situations where a guy shows nothing, most of the time less than nothing, for three years, and then at the very end does just enough to raise questions. Part of me wants him to do nothing again next year to prove once and for all he was a dud, but that same part of me knows we'll just be lining right back up next year to draft another linebacker in the first round ...

Not to mention, basically hasn't played at all in almost two years.

Yeah that's what I said "at his price tag they'll just let him play out his days."

We're stuck with him for another year then he'll be gone.

Steeldude
01-25-2016, 01:32 PM
It sucks to have him another year with Tomlin already making him the starter. He eats into the playing time of better players.

steel striker
01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
The standard is the standard.

katmandu
01-25-2016, 08:03 PM
I don't think he's dumber than Shark.An end zone pylon is smarter than Shark !

katmandu
01-25-2016, 10:51 PM
This I agree with. Sign him for that with a lot of bonuses for sacks, defended passes, etc. Make him work for the money.He best take a real short vacation and then get his ass back in the weight room ASAP.

Jarvis isn't going to improve jack shiit if he doesn't seriously gain more strength and more bulk. That goes for Shazier too.

hawaiiansteeler
01-25-2016, 11:07 PM
He best take a real short vacation and then get his ass back in the weight room ASAP.

Jarvis isn't going to improve jack shiit if he doesn't seriously gain more strength and more bulk. That goes for Shazier too.

not sure how much more Shazier can bulk up...

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/shazier.jpg?w=250

hawaiiansteeler
01-26-2016, 09:17 PM
JamesinNYC: I like Jarvis Jones, but I don't love him. Should the Steelers try to sign him to an extension without picking up his 5th year option, which in my opinion basically says we love you?

Ed Bouchette: That is going to be a tough one. Yes, I think they should try to sign him to an extension first, but I don't see them coming to terms and then I don't see them picking up his bonus. So, it's on to 2016 to see what happens.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/26/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-26-16/stories/201601260182

SteelersProfessor
01-26-2016, 09:44 PM
If they cut Timmons loose I would move Jones INSIDE. He spends quite a bit of time in coverage anyway so that also hurts his sack totals.