PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – CB

hawaiiansteeler
01-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Analyzing the Pittsburgh Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –
Cornerback

By Scott Pavelle on Jan 20, 2016

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/VKcbgXTP1C_woQbUxZW54OI_tUo=/0x33:3393x2295/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48591101/GettyImages-504208016.0.jpg

It makes sense to examine Pittsburgh’s wants and needs before we get too deep into the prospects available in this year’s draft. The results may surprise you.

If you asked a hundred Steeler fans what positions the team should focus on in the draft, at least half would blurt out "Corner!" before you could finish the sentence. I’m going to argue that this common wisdom is misplaced. Corner is indeed a concern and they may well go there, but the biggest part of the problem has already been addressed. The anguish of 2015’s secondary didn’t come from lack of attention by the Front Office - it came from Cortez Allen's failure to play combined with the inevitable lag time to train up the young men who were already drafted/acquired to address this position. 2015 was the lag time. The 2016 squad is already better.

Look at it this way. A typical team carries four Corners on any given Sunday, often with a fifth who doubles as a special teams ace. So what do they have in place? There are three free agents going into the offseason:

William Gay
Brandon Boykin
Antwon Blake

I’m going to assume we keep William Gay because he’s nearing the end of his career, has made a home here in Pittsburgh that he values, and will receive something close to market value from the Steelers because his age will keep that value from getting out of hand. At least one side would have to be a fool to create any other result, and I doubt that’s true for either one.

Brandon Boykin I think will be gone. He wasn’t happy with his playing time in 2015, thinks he can get more money in free agency, and is probably right because Senquez Golson (last year’s No. 2 pick who spent 2015 on IR) is a very similar player with a lot more upside.

Antwon Blake... that’s a tough one. Mike Tomlin has a soft spot for tough, scrappy players who work hard at their craft in every practice and offseason opportunity. He tends to value those intangible assets over the physical skills that fans can measure, and most of the time he’s right. Antwon Blake has those intangibles. And he’s young enough to come back next year as a better player than the one we saw get burned so often in 2015. On the other hand, Blake often got burned because he has genuine limits on his athletic talent. It’s possible that he simply doesn’t have the ability to play much better than what he’s shown. For now I’m going to assume that results in another contract for Blake like the one he got in 2015. A fairly low, one-year "prove it" deal with a minimal bonus so the team can cut him if the younger talent proves able to beat him out.

We can discuss all this in the comments if you disagree, but I think these are the likeliest outcomes.

With those assumptions in place we can project the competition for next year’s roster as follows:

William Gay
Senquez Golson
Ross Cockrell
Doran Grant
Antwon Blake
Cortez Allen
Isaiah Frey (3rd year practice squad player)

Wait a second. Cortez Allen? Yes, Cortez Allen. He is still under contract and I see two ways reasons why he’s likely to be here next year.

First, there’s a chance that he really did suffer another season-ending injury. We’ve all been assuming that the team put him on I.R. as a smokescreen of some kind. If that isn’t true, there’s a potential No. 1 already in place. Second, I can see the front office putting the screws to young Mr. Allen in a way that would force him to renegotiate his deal.

You’ve been paid a lot of money Cortez, and you haven’t earned a dime of it. At this point you won’t get much on the open market. Frankly, you have some proving to do around here as well. Yes, yes, we know about the injuries, but who knows if that’s going to be a chronic thing? You’ve got a lot of money in your pocket; you and your family are set for life; how about you cut us a break and restructure your deal so the team can afford to take a chance on you moving forward?

If he agrees (or is willing to consider Free Safety), the odds that he'll be on the roster are actually kind of good. So yes, Cortez Allen is on the list.

That leaves a total of six or seven players competing for four to five slots. Not a lot of room for new talent. Even if you get rid of Allen and Blake, there are still four entrenched starters and any draft pick would have a very hard time seeing the field. One therefore has to ask this question: if you’re going to draft a Corner, where are you going to put him and when do you expect to see a benefit? Lord knows it won’t be in his rookie year and we plan to be Super Bowl bound in 2016!

Those are the reasons why Pittsburgh may hesitate to spend a lot of draft capital on a Corner. I think they’re likely to do it nevertheless. Here’s why...

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/1/20/10789678/analyzing-the-pittsburgh-steelers-wants-and-needs-for-the-2016-nfl

tube517
01-24-2016, 07:02 AM
Tomlin basically dismissed Cortex for 2016. I doubt he will be with team

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

ALLD
01-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Cortez won't be a corner, that's for sure. I think the Steelers will be more aggressive in fine tuning the roster because there is a greater opportunity to go to the SB with all of the skill players on offense. CB, S, OLB, & P will be priorities. DL & OL depth will be addressed too.

BigNastyDefense
01-24-2016, 07:59 AM
I honestly have a feeling Blake won't be back. Tomlin's job isn't to draft or sign players. He doesn't have control over the 53 man roster either. His input is taken highly into consideration, but it's not his decision, even if he has a soft spot for the guy. Blake may show those intangibles, but his tangible abilities hurt the team. If the FO essentially forced Polamalu (a Steelers legend and first ballot Hall of Fame type of player) to retire because his tangibles hurt the team more than helped it, then it would make no sense to bring Blake back if you're planning on drafting a corner in the first round.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about moving Grant to safety because they feel his skill set works better there because he has trouble with bigger receivers. So he may actually not be a corner next year.

Steeldude
01-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Antwon Blake... that’s a tough one. Mike Tomlin has a soft spot for tough, scrappy players who work hard at their craft in every practice and offseason opportunity. He tends to value those intangible assets over performance and ability on the field

Fixed it.

hawaiiansteeler
01-26-2016, 12:54 AM
Mock Draft Monday: Another mock has the Steelers and CB Eli Apple linked in the 1st round

By Jeff.Hartman on Jan 25, 2016

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xYB0Rz1IzlBvdGPuXAgtsrRJGFM=/0x0:3586x2391/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48636565/usa-today-9029939.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers are looking for secondary help, and the latest mock draft has the Steelers taking a cornerback. This particular mock has the Steelers linked to the Ohio State CB Eli Apple.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are looking to bolster their secondary in the upcoming draft, but the thought of the team taking a cornerback in the first round seems a bit outlandish considering their history of avoiding taking cornerbacks in the first round.

With the 25th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Steelers could have some decisions to make, and will most likely take the Best Player Available (BPA) at several positions, cornerback included, when their number is called to make a selection. Our friends at WalterFootball.com have released their latest Mock Draft, and they, like many others, have the Ohio State CB Eli Apple linked to the Steelers with their first round draft pick.

See what they had to say about the selection:

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

The Steelers have to upgrade their cornerbacks and get a replacement for William Gay.

In 2015, Apple recorded one interception, eight passes broken up and 33 tackles. He had some coverage lapses early on, but played better to close out the year. Apple has a good skill set and lots of upside to develop. He was very impressive for the Buckeyes in 2014 down the stretch of their title run, recording 53 tackles with three interceptions and 10 passes broken up on the year. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Apple looks like he has No. 1-corner potential.

Experts seems sold on Pittsburgh finally going cornerback in the first round, but fans rightfully will be skeptical. The one downside to taking Apple is he is extremely raw and inexperienced. The Steelers defense could benefit from a first round rookie who could come in and help contribute immediately, like Bud Dupree did in 2015, and with Apple's lack of experience at Ohio State it might raise some red flags.

Nonetheless, fans would certainly be pleased if the team finally decides to end their drought of drafting a cornerback in the first round of the Draft, whether it is Apple or not.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/1/25/10828034/mock-draft-monday-another-mock-has-the-steelers-and-cb-eli-apple

teegre
01-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Brueger from CBS has them taking Apple, as well.

More imporrantky, Rob Rang (the other CBS guy) has the Steelers selecting Vernon Hargreaves III.

Jackpot!!! This kid "shouldn't" get past the Ravens at 6, or at worst, he won't out of the top 10; so, getting him at 25 is so unlikely that I'm not going to consider it as an actual option. But... if he did drop to 25... WOW!!!!!

hawaiiansteeler
01-26-2016, 08:45 PM
JoeSteel: Read a couple of articles this week about the Steelers finding safety help in-house. What are the realistic chances of Doran Grant or Cortez Allen playing safety next year?

Ed Bouchette: First, Cortez Allen is not going to be on the team, so nil there. If they are counting on "help" from their roster to bolster safety then the bar really is low.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/26/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-26-16/stories/201601260182

hawaiiansteeler
01-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora -

CB Deiondre' Hall has the 4th longest arms of EVERYONE at the Senior Bowl. And the longest on the North squad. 34 3/4 inches.

DEIONDRE' HALL, CB

SCHOOL: NORTHERN IOWA
COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-2 / 192 LBS.
PROJ. RND. 2-3

PLAYER OVERVIEW

The 2015 Missouri Valley Defensive Player of the Year, Hall split his time between safety and cornerback over his career, lining up predominantly in a hybrid safety role as a senior.

After recording 74 tackles and leading the MVFC with five interceptions as a junior, Hall was third on the team with 82 tackles in 2015 to go with his six interceptions and four pass breakups.

A starter since the second half of his true freshman season, Hall leaves Northern Iowa with 46 career starts and 13 interceptions.

STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES

IN OUR VIEW: He has excellent upside due to his range, size and ball-skills, forcing nine turnovers this past season (six interceptions, three forced fumbles). Hall's impatient and leggy lower body made him a better fit at safety at UNI, but he is expected to line up as a cornerback in many pre-draft workouts.
--Dane Brugler (1/25/16)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2007162/deiondre-hall

hawaiiansteeler
01-30-2016, 09:51 PM
voted most outstanding defensive back at the Senior Bowl:

Harlan Miller, CB, South East Louisiana

Every year at the Senior Bowl, there are some small-school defensive backs who really stand out. This year ,Miller and Northern Iowa's Deiondre' Hall were impressive performers, and Miller was tops among them. Miller (6-0, 182) has quick feet and did a nice job to run with receivers and prevent separation. For the NFL, Miller will need to get stronger. If he can some weight in the months before the draft, that could help elevate his standing even further. Miller could end up being a second-day pick.

http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016stock.php#QxE7tUPUWujWY511.99

st33lersguy
01-30-2016, 11:13 PM
Will it actually happen though? CB has been a pressing need for at least the past few years and yet CB hasn't been addressed in the first round since 1997. It will likely be BPA again like it always is

BigNastyDefense
01-31-2016, 08:50 AM
Will it actually happen though? CB has been a pressing need for at least the past few years and yet CB hasn't been addressed in the first round since 1997. It will likely be BPA again like it always is

BPA could be a corner this year.

fansince'76
01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
I keep seeing the title of this thread on the main forum as "Analyzing the Steelers Warts and..."

:chuckle:

lipps83
01-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora -

CB Deiondre' Hall has the 4th longest arms of EVERYONE at the Senior Bowl. And the longest on the North squad. 34 3/4 inches.

DEIONDRE' HALL, CB

SCHOOL: NORTHERN IOWA
COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-2 / 192 LBS.
PROJ. RND. 2-3

PLAYER OVERVIEW

The 2015 Missouri Valley Defensive Player of the Year, Hall split his time between safety and cornerback over his career, lining up predominantly in a hybrid safety role as a senior.

After recording 74 tackles and leading the MVFC with five interceptions as a junior, Hall was third on the team with 82 tackles in 2015 to go with his six interceptions and four pass breakups.

A starter since the second half of his true freshman season, Hall leaves Northern Iowa with 46 career starts and 13 interceptions.

STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES

IN OUR VIEW: He has excellent upside due to his range, size and ball-skills, forcing nine turnovers this past season (six interceptions, three forced fumbles). Hall's impatient and leggy lower body made him a better fit at safety at UNI, but he is expected to line up as a cornerback in many pre-draft workouts.
--Dane Brugler (1/25/16)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2007162/deiondre-hall

So far everything I have seen about this kid I have liked. Has played the safety position as well as corner. Would like to see this guy be the 2nd round pick and he might be there for that pick. That would give some more versatility for the first rounder not needing to focus on the secondary.

If the Steelers weren't already down two picks, this is someone I would move up in the 2nd and grab. Waiting for your guy to fall to you doesn't always work out.

hawaiiansteeler
02-01-2016, 11:39 PM
1(25) Pittsburgh Steelers: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

The Steelers have to upgrade their cornerbacks and get a replacement for William Gay.

In 2015, Apple recorded one interception, eight passes broken up and 33 tackles. He had some coverage lapses early on, but played better to close out the year. Apple has a good skill set and lots of upside to develop. He was very impressive for the Buckeyes in 2014 down the stretch of their title run, recording 53 tackles with three interceptions and 10 passes broken up on the year. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Apple looks like he has No. 1-corner potential.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016charlie_1.php#GFpkEDxqAOjipZFo.99

hawaiiansteeler
02-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Mock Draft: Post Senior Bowl Edition

By John Owning
on February 1, 2016

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: 10-6

The Pick: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

Eli Apple is a cornerback with good size and athleticism that you can develop. With his length and speed, Apple can deter receivers on the outside; however, he does need to work on his footwork at the top of routes. Apple would be a great choice to help improve the Steelers’ secondary.

http://www.footballinsiders.com/mock-draft-post-senior-bowl-edition/

Psycho Ward 86
02-02-2016, 11:09 AM
what the hell is all of these draft website's obsession with Apple? he might be good someday but right now he is almost indefinitely going to be a project. We need a good CB NOW. if we go 1st round CB with a guy that's likely still on the board it needs to be Kendall Fuller

Mojouw
02-02-2016, 12:02 PM
what the hell is all of these draft website's obsession with Apple? he might be good someday but right now he is almost indefinitely going to be a project. We need a good CB NOW. if we go 1st round CB with a guy that's likely still on the board it needs to be Kendall Fuller

Won't matter. I can't remember the last time the Steelers actually picked the player being mocked to them this early. Maybe Pouncey? Before that...

hawaiiansteeler
02-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Won't matter. I can't remember the last time the Steelers actually picked the player being mocked to them this early. Maybe Pouncey? Before that...

actually a lot of mocks had us taking Jarvis Jones as we had a need at OLB...

Mojouw
02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
actually a lot of mocks had us taking Jarvis Jones as we had a need at OLB...

I knew I forgot one! See what happens when you draft "need"?

On a side note, almost all the edge rushers from that class stink. Actually strike that, all the pass rushers from that class not named Ansah stink.

teegre
02-02-2016, 01:36 PM
all the pass rushers from that class not named Ansah stink.

Ziggy Ansah needs to send Mike Tomlin a check. Until Tomlin gushed over him at the Senior Bowl, Ansah was a late R2 pick.

Likewise, Darrelle Revis came out of nowhere, after Tomlin showed an enormous amount of interest in him.

Similalrly, Brandon Albert went from R2, to Tomlin praising about him, to mocked to the Steelers, to drafted early in R1.

And, we all know that Tomlin loved ODB... propelling the kid to "just out of the Steelers reach".

SUMMATION:
This bodes well for Vernon Butler, who Tomlin watched like a hawk at the Senior Bowl.

Oh... and, Tomlin needs to stop showing his hand so much. Hmmpf, and here I thought that he was a poker player.

fansince'76
02-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Ziggy Ansah needs to send Mike Tomlin a check. Until Tomlin gushed over him at the Senior Bowl, Ansah was a late R2 pick.

Likewise, Darrelle Revis came out of nowhere, after Tomlin showed an enormous amount of interest in him.

Similalrly, Brandon Albert went from R2, to Tomlin praising about him, to mocked to the Steelers, to drafted early in R1.

And, we all know that Tomlin loved ODB... propelling the kid to "just out of the Steelers reach".

SUMMATION:
This bodes well for Vernon Butler, who Tomlin watched like a hawk at the Senior Bowl.

Oh... and, Tomlin needs to stop showing his hand so much. Hmmpf, and here I thought that he was a poker player.

Cool Shades needs to keep his big yap shut! :hippo:

:chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
02-02-2016, 06:45 PM
SUMMATION:

Stillerfreak: Which do you think is a bigger priority for the Steelers in the offseason, the defensive backfield or the defensive line?

I believe it's the defensive backfield, but through the first two days of the Senior Bowl I've read that Tomlin has camped out next to the front-seven defenders. And, you know, I have no problem with looking for another big man. I, too, would like to get off the bus in Cincinnati with another asskicker.

WYSteeler: There are a few D-linemen in this draft that I think would be awesome to stick between Stephon Tuitt and Cam Heyward. Those who really appeal to me are A'Shawn Robinson and Andrew Billings. What are your thoughts on those players and D-linemen in general in this upcoming draft?

I don't know that they need to stick someone between Tuitt and Heyward, unless you're moving one of those vets to defensive end. I wouldn't mind that at all, but I don't see the Steelers adding a nose tackle or 1-tech such as Robinson or Billings. I would prefer a big tackle with the explosiveness of a Jarran Reed, whom I could use outside if I needed. What's wrong with three 3-techs lined up across a front with Bud Dupree? And Reed is an Alabama man. Steelers DL coach John Mitchell is an Alabama man. Reed would become Mitch's long, lost son.

McSteel: What do the Steelers have in L.T. Walton? Does the staff believe he can be a quality rotation player behind Tuitt and Heyward?

Even if I ask Mitch about him, he wouldn't respond, off the record or on. Late-round projects like Walton, make -- or don't make -- that big step until sometime after their rookie season. The fact they kept Walton on the roster while exposing Doran Grant and Anthony Chickillo to the waiver wire says something positive about him.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1637045-ask-wex

salamander
02-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Definitely could use some help in the back end on defense.

Devilsdancefloor
02-02-2016, 10:30 PM
cut tez and resign boykin and gay and draft a CB in the first (pipe dream i know). i wouldnt be surprised if we go OLBer again in the first though.

teegre
02-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Stillerfreak: Which do you think is a bigger priority for the Steelers in the offseason, the defensive backfield or the defensive line?

I believe it's the defensive backfield, but through the first two days of the Senior Bowl I've read that Tomlin has camped out next to the front-seven defenders. And, you know, I have no problem with looking for another big man. I, too, would like to get off the bus in Cincinnati with another asskicker.

WYSteeler: There are a few D-linemen in this draft that I think would be awesome to stick between Stephon Tuitt and Cam Heyward. Those who really appeal to me are A'Shawn Robinson and Andrew Billings. What are your thoughts on those players and D-linemen in general in this upcoming draft?

I don't know that they need to stick someone between Tuitt and Heyward, unless you're moving one of those vets to defensive end. I wouldn't mind that at all, but I don't see the Steelers adding a nose tackle or 1-tech such as Robinson or Billings. I would prefer a big tackle with the explosiveness of a Jarran Reed, whom I could use outside if I needed. What's wrong with three 3-techs lined up across a front with Bud Dupree? And Reed is an Alabama man. Steelers DL coach John Mitchell is an Alabama man. Reed would become Mitch's long, lost son.

McSteel: What do the Steelers have in L.T. Walton? Does the staff believe he can be a quality rotation player behind Tuitt and Heyward?

Even if I ask Mitch about him, he wouldn't respond, off the record or on. Late-round projects like Walton, make -- or don't make -- that big step until sometime after their rookie season. The fact they kept Walton on the roster while exposing Doran Grant and Anthony Chickillo to the waiver wire says something positive about him.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1637045-ask-wex

This pretty much sums up what I've been saying:

--get a guy who "can" play NT, but is used more as a DT/DE.

--play all three DT/DEs at the same time, when needed; no "true" NT, no problem, because Heyward has played the nose before, and played it well.

--Butler uses his DEs as DTs (essentially); Heyward and Tuitt play too much (88% and 78% of the snaps). Another guy just like them allows for a rotation, which keeps all three players fresh all game long/all season long.

Kenny Clark (and Jarren Reed) is the guy(s).

86WARD
02-03-2016, 05:25 AM

SUMMATION:

I don't think are is came out of anywhere. He was pretty sought after. But I get what you're saying...lol.

Drazo85
02-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Sign Damon Harrison and draft a DL in the first round. These two guys would elevate our defense to another level.

SteelerFanInStl
02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Sign Damon Harrison and draft a DL in the first round. These two guys would elevate our defense to another level.
I'd take Harrison in a heartbeat. He's a beast. I wouldnt also use a 1st round pick on DL though. It's a deep DL draft so I'd wait until the 3rd round.

teegre
02-03-2016, 01:59 PM
I've been thinking about:
Which position will be the most likely to be there at 25?

It probably won't be an OLB. Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith, and Noah Spence will be long gone.

It probably won't be a CB. Vernon Hargreaves and Mackenzie Alexander will be gone. Kendall Fuller, maybe. Eli Apple is tall... and... uh... what else???

It could be a S. Jalen Ramsey will go early, but after that, the Steelers should have their pick if the litter.

It could be a DL. There are about ten of them that realistically could go in R1. Due to the sheer number of them available the chance goes up (as in: there's like two or three possible safeties and a dozen possible DTs). Plus, at the Senior Bowl, Tomlin was stuck to the D-line drills like gum on a new pair of shoes.

OLB: 5% chance
CB: 10% chance
S: 30% chance
DL: 55% chance

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
I've been thinking about:

Which position will be the most likely to be there at 25?

It probably won't be an OLB. Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith, and Noah Spence will be long gone.

It probably won't be a CB. Vernon Hargreaves and Mackenzie Alexander will be gone. Kendall Fuller, maybe. Eli Apple is tall... and... uh... what else???

It could be a S. Jalen Ramsey will go early, but after that, the Steelers should have their pick if the litter.

It could be a DL. There are about ten of them that realistically could go in R1. Due to the sheer number of them available the chance goes up (as in: there's like two or three possible safeties and a dozen possible DTs). Plus, at the Senior Bowl, Tomlin was stuck to the D-line drills like gum on a new pair of shoes.

OLB: 5% chance
CB: 10% chance
S: 30% chance
DL: 55% chance

my favorites at this point:

CB: Eli Apple or Kendall Fuller
S: Darian Thompson or Su'a Cravens
DL: Jarran Reed or Kenny Clark