PDA

View Full Version : Weddle

GBMelBlount
01-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Steelers: Eric Weddle in Black and Gold?

It’s no secret that the Steelers pass defense needs some help. We expect them to address the issues in the secondary this off-season. Maybe a free-agent or two, and definitely in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Eric Weddle is one of the best safeties in the NFL. He’s set to be an UFA (Unrestricted Free Agent) in 2016. Since being a 2nd round pick (37th overall) by the San Diego Chargers in the 2007 NFL Draft, Eric Weddle has been quite the impact. Weddle has recorded 19 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, 4 touchdowns, 71 pass deflections, 6.5 sacks and 849 tackles. But with all this success, his relationship with the Chargers has gone south, quickly.

The relationship started to go sour after the Chargers refused to give Weddle a new deal. Weddle signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension in July 2011. It sounded like this alone was making Weddle want to leave San Diego.

Then, crap hit the fan. The Chargers fined Weddle $10,000 for watching his daughter perform at half-time. To make matters worse, the Chargers put Weddle on IR (injured reserve) before their Week 17 game at Denver.

There’s a lot more to this story, but I’ll just get right to the point.

http://stillcurtain.com/2016/01/22/steelers-eric-weddle-in-black-gold/

BigNastyDefense
01-23-2016, 07:28 AM
He was hurt last year and is 32. This defense doesn't need to get older, it needs to get younger. There are going to be some good safeties and corners in the draft. If the Steelers bring back Gay and Boykin, with Golston playing the nickel/dime (he was a 2nd round pick last year), we can take a safety in the draft (maybe even in the second round with a corner in the first).

At 32, was Weddle's injury problem last season a blip on the radar or a sign of what's to come for him? That's my biggest concern. The cap is supposed to rise, and I would rather use that to keep guys like Brown and Bell in the Black & Gold than sign a guy that may not even be useful for the duration of his contract.

Galax Steeler
01-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Maybe if he was about 5 years younger, we have to move on from some of the older ones and build our team with the young.

ALLD
01-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Bring in Weddle and Mel Blount to give us TWO first class corners.

SteelerFanInStl
01-23-2016, 09:31 AM
I like Weddle but I agree with BigNastyDefense. Our D doesn't need to get older. Weddle is also a FS and we need a SS.

It sounds like the Steelers might be planning on converting Grant to SS.

86WARD
01-23-2016, 09:32 AM
No thanks.

polamalubeast
01-23-2016, 09:32 AM
And the price will be too high too.

Shoes
01-23-2016, 11:12 AM
I don't think so. But I don't think Colbert takes a CB or S in the 1st or 2nd round unless one of the top 10 or 12 fall through the cracks.

Steelersfan
01-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Abso f*%$&#*g lutely!!!

If Colbert hasn't already been on the phone with Weddle's agent, telling him he wants the Steelers to be his 1st visit, the minute free agency starts. He's not doing his job. Weddle's exactly the kinda free agent the Steelers target and one they need this year. We have at least 3 holes at Safety. Sham Thomas & Will Allen can be unsigned, cut or upgraded, not too mention the #1 starting Safety need we have = 3 safety roster spots. Can't fill all those with the draft. They even need to secure Golden. But I see Golden & Mitchell as being the only Safeties that are must haves for 2016.

Weddle has experience, can still play, can compete to be a starter, isn't "HIGH" dollar, is a locker room leader (Veteran savvy), can upgrade depth and helps a BPA draft alleviating a "need" pick. The Steelers org. isn't the Pirates org. In the off-season, they ALWAYS do what they can to bring in the best 90 to build the best 53 by the start of the season. They always bring in free agents to alleviate roster "holes" so they are able to go BPA in the draft. Weedle would fill many off-season objectives/needs. If he isn't considered and he or someone better, isn't signed at safety before the draft, I would be pissed. They will upgrade the position by the draft though.

Shoes
01-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Abso f*%$&#*g lutely!!!

If Colbert hasn't already been on the phone with Weddle's agent, telling him he wants the Steelers to be his 1st visit, the minute free agency starts. He's not doing his job. Weddle's exactly the kinda free agent the Steelers target and one they need this year. We have at least 3 holes at Safety. Sham Thomas & Will Allen can be unsigned, cut or upgraded, not too mention the #1 starting Safety need we have = 3 safety roster spots. Can't fill all those with the draft. They even need to secure Golden. But I see Golden & Mitchell as being the only Safeties that are must haves for 2016.

Weddle has experience, can still play, can compete to be a starter, isn't "HIGH" dollar, is a locker room leader (Veteran savvy), can upgrade depth and helps a BPA draft alleviating a "need" pick. The Steelers org. isn't the Pirates org. In the off-season, they ALWAYS do what they can to bring in the best 90 to build the best 53 by the start of the season. They always bring in free agents to alleviate roster "holes" so they are able to go BPA in the draft. Weedle would fill many off-season objectives/needs. If he isn't considered and he or someone better, isn't signed at safety before the draft, I would be pissed. They will upgrade the position by the draft though.

If the price was very right I'd be ok with it.

GBMelBlount
01-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Abso f*%$&#*g lutely!!!

We have at least 3 holes at Safety. Sham Thomas & Will Allen can be unsigned, cut or upgraded, not too mention the #1 starting Safety need we have = 3 safety roster spots.

Weddle has experience, can still play, can compete to be a starter, isn't "HIGH" dollar, is a locker room leader (Veteran savvy), can upgrade depth and helps a BPA draft alleviating a "need" pick.

They always bring in free agents to alleviate roster "holes" so they are able to go BPA in the draft. Weedle would fill many off-season objectives/needs.

Agreed.

It's not rocket science.

Bring him in and evaluate him and if he can still play and the price is right sign him as a stopgap.

Ben's window is closing and I don't want to wait a few years for drafted safeties to develop.

I would also imagine Weddle would like to sign with a team that has a shot at winning the Superbowl.

steelreserve
01-23-2016, 01:35 PM
If the price was very right I'd be ok with it.

Yup. Basically, if we could get him for what we're paying Antwon Blake now, that's a positive move for us (assuming Weddle can still play at an above-average level, and I have no idea whether either of these things are true).

It'd be a year or two stopgap, not a long-term solution, but our window to win is NOW. Meaning next season and the one after. So in that context, it makes perfect sense.

Mojouw
01-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Weddle is going to cost 7-10 million or so per season. He had a pulled groin for like 3 weeks and then the Chargers put him on IR because they are in some sort of weird fight with Weddle. He is no more of an injury risk than Deangelo Williams or Heath Miller.

He was, statistically, a league leading safety in 2014 and for much of 2015. Considering how terrible the Chargers are, that is saying something.

Long story short, Weddle and Mike Mitchell would be an impressive safety tandem for the next 2 years or so, but no way it happens. Weddle is going to get paid. Or at least paid more than the 3-4 million per that the Steelers are going to want to shell out.

GBMelBlount
01-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Weddle is going to cost 7-10 million or so per season. He had a pulled groin for like 3 weeks and then the Chargers put him on IR because they are in some sort of weird fight with Weddle. He is no more of an injury risk than Deangelo Williams or Heath Miller.

He was, statistically, a league leading safety in 2014 and for much of 2015. Considering how terrible the Chargers are, that is saying something.

Long story short, Weddle and Mike Mitchell would be an impressive safety tandem for the next 2 years or so, but no way it happens. Weddle is going to get paid. Or at least paid more than the 3-4 million per that the Steelers are going to want to shell out.

If the Steeler's wanted to sign him would it be that difficult to free up an extra 4 million?

Mojouw
01-23-2016, 02:51 PM
If the Steeler's wanted to sign him would it be that difficult to free up an extra 4 million?

I really don't know. All the restructures and cap charges stuff makes my head swim. My assumption was that with paying Ben, Pouncey, and Heyward top dollar. Restructuring Timmons, extending Decastro, doing something with AB to keep him happy, signing at least one of Beachum and Foster, likely extending Bell and resigning at least William Gay from the DBs - that is a pretty big list from a starting point of (I am told) not a great deal of cap space.

Where/how do you fit another 8 million dollar cap charge in there? Be very dangerous to push Weddle's dollars into the future due to his age. Who knows, it could happen. I know Tomlin was making googly eyes at him early this year...

GBMelBlount
01-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Our offense was loaded this year and in the top 3 in the league without Bell, Pouncey or Beachum.

It makes me wonder if having a casualty on offense to significantly upgrade 1 or 2 positions on defense would improve the team overall.

Mojouw
01-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Our offense was loaded this year and in the top 3 in the league without Bell, Pouncey or Beachum.

It makes me wonder if having a casualty on offense to significantly upgrade 1 or 2 positions on defense would improve the team overall.

That is an interesting idea. However, it may not be necessary - it looks like I was WAY off in my estimation of what Weddle's market would be: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/exploring-the-market-value-of-free-agent-s-eric-weddle/

Steelman
01-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Even if we had Oakland-style cap space, I'm not so sure I'd sign Weddle. He slowed down significantly this year and I don't think it was just the groin injury at the end of the season. I watched a few of his games this past season and was not impressed. He's trending down, and it will be precipitous.

Weddle's versatility has been lauded by Tomlin, but is he really a good fit with Mitchell? I'm genuinely curious why they would make good backfield mates, because I don't see the appeal.

Personally, unless a high-caliber cover safety becomes available in FA, I'd rather make Will Allen retire and stick with Robert Golden and draft a safety to be the future starter.

ALLD
01-24-2016, 07:47 AM
He's another Revis near the end of his career.

teegre
01-24-2016, 04:13 PM
PROS:
Weddle was not just an All Pro in 2014, he was the best safety in the league.

Weddle can play either safety position, as well as any CB position. He allows the DC to use creative blitzes (because Weddle can play any position in a secondary).

He lost favor with the Bolts coaching staff, because he said that the team had quit during the Vikings game. I noted this prior to the Steelers-Chargers game. He didn't lose a step; the team around him habitually gave up. Add in a contract dispute, as well as the Carson/Inglewood distraction, and you have a cocktail for a team (not just Weddle) to have a down season.

CONS:
He's 32. We all saw Troy from All Pro to human, in just two seasons.

He will cost $7 million.

SUMMATION:
If the Steelers are going for broke, they sign Weddle.

The offense is already STACKED. Add Weddle, Golson, another CB, and DL depth... and the defense becomes formidable enough to allow the Steelers to roll over ANYONE.

86WARD
01-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Even in the short term, Weddle wasn't what he's been in the past. I'm not sure he's the answer there for $5M a season.

Mojouw
01-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Thought about it some more. All I got is that even though Weddle would be expensive and you would largely be paying for past performance AND taking a massive risk that father time suddenly catches up with him - dude can still play better than anyone in the 2015 Steelers secondary.

Bottom line - what other FA or draft pick would serve to improve an obvious area of weakness that quickly? I might be able to be talked in to overpaying for that.

86WARD
01-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Thought about it some more. All I got is that even though Weddle would be expensive and you would largely be paying for past performance AND taking a massive risk that father time suddenly catches up with him - dude can still play better than anyone in the 2015 Steelers secondary.

Bottom line - what other FA or draft pick would serve to improve an obvious area of weakness that quickly? I might be able to be talked in to overpaying for that.

Wouldn't be hard to find someone that can out play the current guys...but you're right...I guess I wouldn't be opposed...I'd be a little bit cautious.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 07:34 PM
With the limited cap space the Steelers are going to have for next year and with a few key free agents the Steelers should resign, I doubt they would be able to afford Weddle. I'm sure he will be asking for more money than what the Steelers could pay him. I think it would be better to draft a safety.

teegre
01-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Even in the short term, Weddle wasn't what he's been in the past. I'm not sure he's the answer there for $5M a season.

Honestly, I chalk 2015 up to a crappy set of circumstances.

Born2Steel
01-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Safety is not just a plug and play position. My first question of a 32 yr old safety is not ability, but familiarity with our defense. I believe the biggest part of what made Troy become human was the absence of Ryan Clark who allowed Troy to be Troy. Mitchell didn't know how to play the TP style, so Troy was 'caught' out of position. Do we NEED safety upgrade? Absolutely, but I'm not sure about top dollar for an aged vet that could very well just be looking for that final big payday. I would look more at someone ending their rookie contract and willing to come in and learn and contribute. Have to go look to find a name or 2, but seems the safer option to me.

Psycho Ward 86
01-27-2016, 12:42 PM
id rather sign Trumaine Johnson to man a starting CB spot and let Robert Golden be a serviceable starter/share time with a high rookie pick like Craven or Joseph.

Will Allen was ok. Robert Golden was clearly better. How bad could it be. We need corners who can immediately play outside much more badly

Nadroj 20
01-28-2016, 08:32 AM
We need to bring guys in that is going to help us immediately. Someone that will help short term not long term. Ben only has so many years left, so if Weedle as an older player is capable of helping us immediately and we don't have to wait on a guy to develop I'm all for it.

Born2Steel
01-28-2016, 08:45 AM
We need to bring guys in that is going to help us immediately. Someone that will help short term not long term. Ben only has so many years left, so if Weedle as an older player is capable of helping us immediately and we don't have to wait on a guy to develop I'm all for it.

If that is Weddle's plan then yes. If he knows he's probably signing his last contract and just wants to cash in, then no. That is the risk to me.

tube517
01-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Weddle's last contract numbers:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/eric-weddle/

hawaiiansteeler
01-28-2016, 01:22 PM
id rather sign Trumaine Johnson to man a starting CB spot and let Robert Golden be a serviceable starter/share time with a high rookie pick like Craven or Joseph.

Will Allen was ok. Robert Golden was clearly better. How bad could it be. We need corners who can immediately play outside much more badly

from Pro Football Focus, Trumaine Johnson would look great in Black & Gold:

St. Louis Rams

Cornerbacks: Trumaine Johnson (87.0); Janoris Jenkins (81.3); Lamarcus Joyner (66.1)

All five Rams’ players listed are fourth-year players or younger, and keep progressively getting better. Johnson is now the fifth-ranked cornerback, ranking No.1 in NFL QB rating allowed in his coverage (47.4) to go along with seven interceptions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/31/pro-top-10-nfl-secondaries-this-season-2/

hawaiiansteeler
01-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Steelers: Will Pittsburgh make a move to sign Trumaine Johnson?

by Jesse Kirkendall

The Pittsburgh Steelers enter the 2016 offseason desperately needing to upgrade their secondary if they wish to continue the recent success they have experienced by making the post season two years in a row after disappointing 8-8 seasons in 2012 and 2013.

The organization did not waste any time by signing cornerback Ross Cockrell to a one-year contract extension last week. A solid year as one of the biggest contributors in the Steelers’ secondary earned him the deal, but Cockrell alone will not solve the team’s issues at the position. Still without contracts are William Gay, Antwon Blake, and Brandon Boykin.

To put into perspective how much the Steelers’ secondary is in need of an upgrade, we turn to Blake as a prime example. In the sixteen regular season games he started, Blake gave up 1,074 yards in coverage and missed a total of 28 tackles. These are numbers that you never want to see from any athlete, especially one that is considered starting material. While there were a few bright spots from Blake this season, these moments were few and far between.

Steelers’ Nation will debate until the end of time that the most simple way to alleviate problems in the secondary is to select a cornerback in the first round of the upcoming draft. Collegiate playmakers such as Jaylen Ramsey, Vernon Hargreaves, and Mackensie Alexander will not be available when the Steelers make their selection at 25th overall, Tre’Davious White is returning to LSU for his senior year, and Eli Apple is too raw of a defensive back to be considered a top-32 talent.

To find a cornerback that will make an impact in their secondary for years to come, the Steelers must explore their options on the free agent market.

Carolina Panthers’ cornerback Josh Norman will be the most sought after defensive back when free agency begins in early March. The Panthers will most likely retain the star athlete but, in the event that they are unable to, he will command a heavy yearly price tag if any other team in the NFL wishes to enlist his services.

Do not expect the Steelers to be one of the teams to go after him.

Instead, they will be able to find prime talent in the same conference as Mr. Norman. Trumaine Johnson, one of two premiere Los Angeles Rams cornerbacks that are hitting the free agency market, could very well be the next great acquisition the Steelers have made for their secondary since bringing Mike Mitchell aboard in 2014.

When E.J. Gaines was sidelined before the start of the season with a Linsfranc injury in his foot that required surgery, Johnson was tasked with starting on the outside across from Janoris Jenkins. Suddenly thrust into a starting role, he answered the challenge by posting the best numbers of his four year career. Starting in thirteen games he made seven interceptions, defended seventeen passes, and recorded 71 total tackles, along with a lone fumble recovery.

Hailing from the NFC West, Johnson has matched up against some very talented receivers from within his division. Wideouts such as Larry Fitzgerald, Doug Baldwin, and Anquan Boldin are only a few of the wide receivers Johnson played against multiple times this season. Notable outer-conference opponents Johnson was paired up with this season were Antonio Brown, James Jones, Calvin Johnson, and Mike Evans. The talented corner put on a display that has not been seen in quite some time from a Steelers’ defensive back.

Perhaps the most impressive performance from Trumaine Johnson this year was when he held Calvin Johnson, better known as “Megatron”, without a catch when he was tasked to cover him in the Rams’ week fourteen matchup against the Detroit Lions. Returning to the field after missing two games due to a nagging quadriceps injury, the cornerback made the All-Pro receiver look helpless at times, and continued to make a name for himself as one of the better cover cornerbacks in the league.

Johnson’s intercepted pass intended for Megatron, his fifth of the season and only pick-six of 2015, was a brilliant display of what a talented cornerback can do for a defense. Reading quarterback Matthew Stafford from the beginning of the play, he timed his play on the ball as perfectly as possible and came away with the pick. The ensuing 42 yard return for a touchdown was a culmination of patience and allowing his blockers to take care of the work for him instead of attempting something that could potentially cause him to fumble.

Including Johnson, the Rams have a total of 21 free agents to address when the time comes at the start of the new league year. With Gaines returning from his foot injury and Jenkins looking as if he is the least expensive of the two free agent cornerbacks, it is unlikely that Los Angeles will extend him a new contract offer.

The Steelers will have some space in their salary cap this coming season to play the free agent market and offer a reasonable contract to an athlete. Even more so if they are able to restructure the contracts of Lawrence Timmons and Heath Miller, who have a combined $22 million in cap hits next season. Don’t expect the Steelers to outright cut either of these players, as they are both still important pieces of the offense and defense…only not as much as their contract dictates.

The Steelers are not a team known for making a big splash in the free agency market. Finding immense talent through the draft and promoting in-house has been the tried and true method in Pittsburgh for many years, but now may be the time to take a chance on a proven, blockbuster cornerback. If Antwon Blake is asked to cover A.J. Green once again in 2016, it could lead to a Steelers’ Nation revolt that will end with the burning of Fort Pitt Bridge.

Is there a possibility that we could see Trumaine Johnson in a Steelers’ uniform next season? For the sake of Pittsburgh’s perforated secondary, one can only hope. In the coming months the organization’s intentions will become more clear, and hope could return in the form of a 6’1″, dominant cover cornerback.

http://stillcurtain.com/2016/01/27/steelers-will-pittsburgh-make-a-move-to-sign-trumaine-johnson/

86WARD
01-28-2016, 02:21 PM
I'd love if they'd sign Johnson...but then I was also a big supporter of the chance they'd sign Maxwell...

steelreserve
01-28-2016, 02:50 PM
from Pro Football Focus, Trumaine Johnson would look great in Black & Gold:

St. Louis Rams

Cornerbacks: Trumaine Johnson (87.0); Janoris Jenkins (81.3); Lamarcus Joyner (66.1)

All five Rams’ players listed are fourth-year players or younger, and keep progressively getting better. Johnson is now the fifth-ranked cornerback, ranking No.1 in NFL QB rating allowed in his coverage (47.4) to go along with seven interceptions.

Does this sound like the kind of guy who's going to be anywhere near affordable? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but that is precisely the kind of talent that is not cheap.

I will bet you that wherever he signs, it's a minimum 4 years and $40 million. If we can pull it off somehow, then great, but I would put the odds of us actually being able to do that as extremely low.

Psycho Ward 86
01-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Steelers: Will Pittsburgh make a move to sign Trumaine Johnson?

by Jesse Kirkendall

The Pittsburgh Steelers enter the 2016 offseason desperately needing to upgrade their secondary if they wish to continue the recent success they have experienced by making the post season two years in a row after disappointing 8-8 seasons in 2012 and 2013.

The organization did not waste any time by signing cornerback Ross Cockrell to a one-year contract extension last week. A solid year as one of the biggest contributors in the Steelers’ secondary earned him the deal, but Cockrell alone will not solve the team’s issues at the position. Still without contracts are William Gay, Antwon Blake, and Brandon Boykin.

To put into perspective how much the Steelers’ secondary is in need of an upgrade, we turn to Blake as a prime example. In the sixteen regular season games he started, Blake gave up 1,074 yards in coverage and missed a total of 28 tackles. These are numbers that you never want to see from any athlete, especially one that is considered starting material. While there were a few bright spots from Blake this season, these moments were few and far between.

Steelers’ Nation will debate until the end of time that the most simple way to alleviate problems in the secondary is to select a cornerback in the first round of the upcoming draft. Collegiate playmakers such as Jaylen Ramsey, Vernon Hargreaves, and Mackensie Alexander will not be available when the Steelers make their selection at 25th overall, Tre’Davious White is returning to LSU for his senior year, and Eli Apple is too raw of a defensive back to be considered a top-32 talent.

To find a cornerback that will make an impact in their secondary for years to come, the Steelers must explore their options on the free agent market.

Carolina Panthers’ cornerback Josh Norman will be the most sought after defensive back when free agency begins in early March. The Panthers will most likely retain the star athlete but, in the event that they are unable to, he will command a heavy yearly price tag if any other team in the NFL wishes to enlist his services.

Do not expect the Steelers to be one of the teams to go after him.

Instead, they will be able to find prime talent in the same conference as Mr. Norman. Trumaine Johnson, one of two premiere Los Angeles Rams cornerbacks that are hitting the free agency market, could very well be the next great acquisition the Steelers have made for their secondary since bringing Mike Mitchell aboard in 2014.

When E.J. Gaines was sidelined before the start of the season with a Linsfranc injury in his foot that required surgery, Johnson was tasked with starting on the outside across from Janoris Jenkins. Suddenly thrust into a starting role, he answered the challenge by posting the best numbers of his four year career. Starting in thirteen games he made seven interceptions, defended seventeen passes, and recorded 71 total tackles, along with a lone fumble recovery.

Hailing from the NFC West, Johnson has matched up against some very talented receivers from within his division. Wideouts such as Larry Fitzgerald, Doug Baldwin, and Anquan Boldin are only a few of the wide receivers Johnson played against multiple times this season. Notable outer-conference opponents Johnson was paired up with this season were Antonio Brown, James Jones, Calvin Johnson, and Mike Evans. The talented corner put on a display that has not been seen in quite some time from a Steelers’ defensive back.

Perhaps the most impressive performance from Trumaine Johnson this year was when he held Calvin Johnson, better known as “Megatron”, without a catch when he was tasked to cover him in the Rams’ week fourteen matchup against the Detroit Lions. Returning to the field after missing two games due to a nagging quadriceps injury, the cornerback made the All-Pro receiver look helpless at times, and continued to make a name for himself as one of the better cover cornerbacks in the league.

Johnson’s intercepted pass intended for Megatron, his fifth of the season and only pick-six of 2015, was a brilliant display of what a talented cornerback can do for a defense. Reading quarterback Matthew Stafford from the beginning of the play, he timed his play on the ball as perfectly as possible and came away with the pick. The ensuing 42 yard return for a touchdown was a culmination of patience and allowing his blockers to take care of the work for him instead of attempting something that could potentially cause him to fumble.

Including Johnson, the Rams have a total of 21 free agents to address when the time comes at the start of the new league year. With Gaines returning from his foot injury and Jenkins looking as if he is the least expensive of the two free agent cornerbacks, it is unlikely that Los Angeles will extend him a new contract offer.

The Steelers will have some space in their salary cap this coming season to play the free agent market and offer a reasonable contract to an athlete. Even more so if they are able to restructure the contracts of Lawrence Timmons and Heath Miller, who have a combined $22 million in cap hits next season. Don’t expect the Steelers to outright cut either of these players, as they are both still important pieces of the offense and defense…only not as much as their contract dictates.

The Steelers are not a team known for making a big splash in the free agency market. Finding immense talent through the draft and promoting in-house has been the tried and true method in Pittsburgh for many years, but now may be the time to take a chance on a proven, blockbuster cornerback. If Antwon Blake is asked to cover A.J. Green once again in 2016, it could lead to a Steelers’ Nation revolt that will end with the burning of Fort Pitt Bridge.

Is there a possibility that we could see Trumaine Johnson in a Steelers’ uniform next season? For the sake of Pittsburgh’s perforated secondary, one can only hope. In the coming months the organization’s intentions will become more clear, and hope could return in the form of a 6’1″, dominant cover cornerback.

http://stillcurtain.com/2016/01/27/steelers-will-pittsburgh-make-a-move-to-sign-trumaine-johnson/

wow didnt even know Trumaine was actually filling in for starter EJ Gaines. Makes me just a tad more optimistic about our FA approach.

im hoping were slightly more aggressive than usual with Ben hitting his last couple of years

SteelerFanInStl
01-28-2016, 05:10 PM
wow didnt even know Trumaine was actually filling in for starter EJ Gaines. Makes me just a tad more optimistic about our FA approach.

im hoping were slightly more aggressive than usual with Ben hitting his last couple of years

Johnson was the starter in the 2014 season and Gaines took over for him when Johnson got injured. Gaines played so well that Johnson never got his starting job back. Then Gaines got injured in 2015 and Johnson took over and had a fantastic season.

teegre
01-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Safety is not just a plug and play position. My first question of a 32 yr old safety is not ability, but familiarity with our defense. I believe the biggest part of what made Troy become human was the absence of Ryan Clark who allowed Troy to be Troy. Mitchell didn't know how to play the TP style, so Troy was 'caught' out of position. Do we NEED safety upgrade? Absolutely, but I'm not sure about top dollar for an aged vet that could very well just be looking for that final big payday. I would look more at someone ending their rookie contract and willing to come in and learn and contribute. Have to go look to find a name or 2, but seems the safer option to me.

Great point.

To help alleviate your fears, know that Weddle knew all five positions in San Diego's secondary (FS, SS, CB, CB, NB). So, him picking up a new defense, especially only one position (SS) shouldn't be a problem.

salamander
01-29-2016, 09:18 PM
As much as I would love to see them sign a like Trumaine, the Steelers aren't usually big players in free agency, but only time will tell......