PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Wanted to Start Super Bowl XXX with Onside Kick Until He Talked to Simms

polamalubeast
01-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Bowl XXX was one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time, and former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher gave us a little inside information on it.

What did Phil Simms tell Cowher that dissuaded him from starting the game with an onside kick?

Find out in the video above as Adam Lefkoe and Bleacher Report NFL Analyst Chris Simms go in-depth on Super Bowl XXX.

watch the video

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610177-cowher-wanted-to-start-super-bowl-xxx-with-onside-kick-until-he-talked-to-simms

ALLD
01-22-2016, 07:09 PM
I can't get the video to play, but I don't think it would have been a smart move anymore that not being able to punt out of our end zone last week.

fansince'76
01-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Yep, the onside kick in SB XXX was a great call and perfectly executed as well - too bad it was all for naught. Thanks again, Neil...

tube517
01-22-2016, 08:47 PM
It was a great call and momentum changer. Juicy Fruit was the only other coach to pull it off in the Super Bowl.

zulater
01-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Yep, the onside kick in SB XXX was a great call and perfectly executed as well - too bad it was all for naught. Thanks again, Neil...

Can you remember the last time the Steelers recovered an onsides kick? For the life of me I can't remember a single one since that one in SB XXX. :doh:

polamalubeast
01-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Can you remember the last time the Steelers recovered an onsides kick? For the life of me I can't remember a single one since that one in SB XXX. :doh:

- - - Updated - - -

It was against the Ravens in week 17 in 2007.....The Steelers are 0/11 since!

fansince'76
01-23-2016, 10:54 AM

I would imagine it was well before the "Danny Smith Era."

It was against the Ravens in week 17 in 2007.....The Steelers are 0/11 since!

I figured it was even longer ago than that.

polamalubeast
01-23-2016, 11:10 AM
The week 17 against the Ravens in 2007 was a game that was meaningless! This is the reason why no one remembers that!

But before that, I have no idea when the Steelers had recovered a onside kick.

zulater
01-23-2016, 12:22 PM
And the thing is they never even seem to come close when they do try.

Further curiousity, how many have they had recovered against them in recent years?

polamalubeast
01-23-2016, 01:13 PM
I do not remember seeing the Steelers lose a game because of an onside kick recovered by the opponent.

zulater
01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
I do not remember seeing the Steelers lose a game because of an onside kick recovered by the opponent.

Didn't the Chiefs recover one against them a few years back? If I remember right the Steelers hung on to win, but we had to agonize a couple hail Mary attempts as a result.

Mojouw
01-23-2016, 02:41 PM
How many onside kicks are ever recovered? I have no idea, but I bet it isn't a high percentage.

fansince'76
01-23-2016, 02:48 PM
How many onside kicks are ever recovered? I have no idea, but I bet it isn't a high percentage.

The one in XXX was perfectly disguised and completely unexpected as well, unlike that cluster of a fake FG attempt against Seattle earlier this season that fooled absolutely nobody...

Mojouw
01-23-2016, 02:53 PM
The one in XXX was perfectly disguised and completely unexpected as well, unlike that cluster of a fake FG attempt against Seattle earlier this season that fooled absolutely nobody...

Yeah. I remember that. It was glorious. But I think that is your best shot for an onsides - the totally unexpected. Usually the only other time they get recovered is when someone on the receiving team does something dumb.

polamalubeast
01-23-2016, 03:21 PM

10% or less I think

zulater
01-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Yeah. I remember that. It was glorious. But I think that is your best shot for an onsides - the totally unexpected. Usually the only other time they get recovered is when someone on the receiving team does something dumb.

Don't forget Seattle got to the Super Bowl last year because the Packers couldn't field an onsides kick.

But yeah I'll bet the percentage of expected onsides kicks that are recovered by the kicking team are under 5%.

Which makes Andy Reid/ ex Chiefs OC Doug Pederson's continuing rationalization of their insane clock mismanagement at the end of last weeks divisional playoff loss to the Patriots all the more hilarious for non Chief of Eagle ( Pederson's new gig) fans. They claim they played for the onsides kick as opposed to scoring too quickly in a game they trailed by two scores, because they didn;t want to give the ball back to Tom Brady! :sofunny:

Godfather
01-23-2016, 08:21 PM
It was a great call and momentum changer. Juicy Fruit was the only other coach to pull it off in the Super Bowl.

Juicy Fruit? Never heard Sean Payton called that before.

tube517
01-23-2016, 08:37 PM
From the Americas Game documentary. He is a big Juicy Fruit gum chewer

Also:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/09/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_99.html

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

fansince'76
01-23-2016, 08:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxzScbeU6rA

:chuckle: