PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kemoeatu suing Steelers over medical issue

tube517
01-22-2016, 12:12 PM
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/01/22/chris-kemoeatu-suing-steelers-over-medical-issue/

The bad news in this story is that Kemoeatu is now claiming that the numerous anti-inflammatory injections he received over the course of his career made his condition significantly worse. According to his attorney Michael Green, he is going to “sue everybody in sight who had anything to do with injecting this kid young man, knowing he was in danger to begin with”, and that includes the Steelers.

steelreserve
01-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Would be interesting to know what injections they're talking about. Cortisone they actually use to treat kidney disease, so that's probably not it.

I would assume it's Toradol, which is some nasty shit. If it were me, I'd probably rather just be in pain that take that poison - but easier said than done.

Regardless, that just sucks for him and whatever caused it isn't going to change the outcome. At the very least, they ought to be paying for his treatment for this for life.

86WARD
01-22-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised more players aren't suing teams.

zulater
01-22-2016, 01:26 PM
Does anyone doubt Walter Payton never missing a game throughout his NFL career and his dying so young from a rare liver ailment has some connection? Sad, but it was his choice not to miss a game. It became a point of pride. Misplaced pride perhaps?

Big Ben claimed that this last game was the first time ever in his career that he took a needle to be able to play. So again he exercised his free will. Had it been a regular season game he likely forgoes the shot and sits

And as far as Kemo goes. Simple if you can't play without getting shot up retire. The era of forcing players to take these shots is long over. They take them to extend their career because quite simply the allure of a 6 figure salary when you have no other skill set compells them to

ALLD
01-22-2016, 03:05 PM
I suppose the court will not consider all of the holding penalties to offset some of the awarded damages.

smokin3000gt
01-22-2016, 03:13 PM
He is a grown man and if he didn't look up and educate himself on what he was injecting into his body then that is on him. Nobody strapped him down and forced him to take injections against his will.

BigNastyDefense
01-23-2016, 08:01 AM
It sucks that he has medical issues, but he gave the go ahead to get shot up with the stuff. He's the one that said to do it so he could go out, play football, and get paid handsomely to do so.

I honestly have a hard time feeling bad for the guys that have been paid millions to become famous and play football at this level when they have health issues later and then try to lay blame on everyone but themselves. Nobody forced them to play football for a living. Nobody forced them to shoot up with pain killers to play, they always had the option to play through the pain or not play at all.

He didn't play in the 1970's and before where guys had no idea what they were really putting their bodies through, and had to work a regular job because players didn't make big bucks to play football.

Instead of blaming the teams and NFL, these guys today need to look in the mirror and accept that they chose to put their bodies on the line for fortune and fame.

silver & black
01-23-2016, 09:10 AM
But.................. the NFL is all about player safety!

86WARD
01-23-2016, 09:37 AM
If a team doctor didn't fully inform him of what could happen if he accepted these shots, what side effects or long term issues he may have down the road, you can't really say that it's on Kemo. If a doctor is saying it's "no big deal, it's just a shot to get you through a game", then you would think that it would be just that. We don't know what went on in the locker rooms before or after the shots, so it's hard to judge either way for myself. It's not fair to throw it on the player if he's not fully informed. If he was fully informed, it's not fair to accuse the team.

zulater
01-23-2016, 10:07 AM
If a team doctor didn't fully inform him of what could happen if he accepted these shots, what side effects or long term issues he may have down the road, you can't really say that it's on Kemo. If a doctor is saying it's "no big deal, it's just a shot to get you through a game", then you would think that it would be just that. We don't know what went on in the locker rooms before or after the shots, so it's hard to judge either way for myself. It's not fair to throw it on the player if he's not fully informed. If he was fully informed, it's not fair to accuse the team.

You can always seek a second opinion. To me you have to be a little cynical in life, understand that the only ones that have your best interests at heart are you and your family.

smokin3000gt
01-23-2016, 11:31 AM

If he chose to be willfully ignorant through his career, I don't think that makes it everyone else's fault. Especially when a 5 minute google search will give you all the info you need.

GBMelBlount
01-23-2016, 01:19 PM

This.

NCSteeler
01-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Is Pennsylvania a contributory negligence state? A jury could easily find that he had a choice to end his career vs potentially damaging his body

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mojouw
01-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Hey, marginal lineman, are you hurt?

Yeah. I think so.

Hmmmm. That sucks. We've been constantly on the look-out to improve the play at your position. I guess we better get your back-up ready.

Are you sure? Can't I take a shot or something? I really want to help the team and not let the other guys down.

Ok. Go talk to the doc. He'll fix you up.

I know it sounds like North Dallas Forty or something, but that all seems plausible to me. Not sure it makes the Steelers culpable. But not sure I put this all on Kemo or any other player either.

zulater
01-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Adults have to make risk /reward assessments and live with the results of their choices. Being drafted by an NFL team isn't the same as being drafted into the military prior to 1973. Those guys (drafted service members that were killed or disabled, mentally or physically) have a right to bitch. Yet when they do it usually falls on deaf ears. I mean seriously here people are worrying about "poor" ex players who made hundreds of thousands of dollars doing exactly what they wanted to do. Meanwhile we see some poor downtrodden old sot who was scared for life in involuntary service of our nation "earning" a few measly hundred a month and if he asks for a dollar we either look away or grudgingly give him his dollar while planning a different way home the next day to avoid him.

86WARD
01-23-2016, 04:55 PM
You can always seek a second opinion. To me you have to be a little cynical in life, understand that the only ones that have your best interests at heart are you and your family.

With 10:00 remaining in the 4th quarter of a 28-28 playoff game, you may not be able to get that second opinion...

;)

zulater
01-23-2016, 05:23 PM
With 10:00 remaining in the 4th quarter of a 28-28 playoff game, you may not be able to get that second opinion...

;)

I work in the thoroughbred race horse industry. Mostly I van horses. My wife gallops and trains horses. We've bred and owned a few decent horses as well. Anyway I know several ex jockeys who will live out their lives in wheel chairs. I know several gallop boys and girls who also were permanently disabled doing their jobs. I had a good friend who was a fellow van driver, got kicked in the chest loading a horse. Dead at 40 something. Every time I load a horse I put myself at risk. Every year all kinds of people in my career field are hurt or kiled on the job.Old Blacksmiths are always easy to pick out of a crowd by their stooped gait. Jockey's and exercise riders regularly get concussions. In fact more jockeys retire due to multiple concussions than for any other reason.

I'm not telling you this looking for sympathy. No matter what cards we're dealt most of us in this industry would do it all again. It's who we are and what we love. We mostly make a decent living, some make more than others obviously. But the point is we go in knowing and assuming the risks involved dealing with large, powerful, temperamental independent animals. We made our choice. We live with the results. .

katmandu
01-23-2016, 07:19 PM
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/01/22/chris-kemoeatu-suing-steelers-over-medical-issue/

The bad news in this story is that Kemoeatu is now claiming that the numerous anti-inflammatory injections he received over the course of his career made his condition significantly worse. According to his attorney Michael Green, he is going to “sue everybody in sight who had anything to do with injecting this kid young man, knowing he was in danger to begin with”, and that includes the Steelers. So........ Let me guess......

The team Doc had Big Snack sit on top of Kemo's head while Kemo fought against his Will so the Doc could give him the shot !

AM I RIGHT ?