PDA

View Full Version : Anti Gronk !

katmandu
01-22-2016, 12:52 AM
What do the Steelers need to do to shutdown or at least slow down big azzed TEs such as Gronkowski ?

I'm tired of watching opposing monster TE eat our D for lunch !

Who do the Steeler's need to Draft to counter this ?

86WARD
01-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Nobody is slowing down Gronk. Only way to slow him down is to stop Brady. As for the rest of the TEs in the league, I thought Shazier was supposed to be "that guy".

Mojouw
01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
No one slows Gronk. Look at his numbers, they are simply ridiculous.

The other TEs that gouged the Steelers this year were Kelce and Eifert. I really don't remember (more than a play here and a play there) a specific TE, aside from the 3 mentioned, "going" off this season. I am likely wrong. My point is fairly simple, no one really stops Gronk and Kelce. Eifert is almost in that tier of guys. As to who covers the TE, wouldn't it be a certain old and slow safety?

steelreserve
01-22-2016, 11:39 AM
What do the Steelers need to do to shutdown or at least slow down big azzed TEs such as Gronkowski ?

I'm tired of watching opposing monster TE eat our D for lunch !

Who do the Steeler's need to Draft to counter this ?

Nobody is slowing down Gronk. Only way to slow him down is to stop Brady. As for the rest of the TEs in the league, I thought Shazier was supposed to be "that guy".

It's pretty clear that the strategy of using a linebacker to cover those kinds of tight ends doesn't work. A lot of the time, it doesn't even work for the lumbering white tight ends. Probably ought to use a safety for that. Otherwise, get used to the 15-yard bullshit catch over the middle.

tube517
01-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Barnidge from the Stains didn't go off but he was converting 1st downs against us.

Rotorhead
01-22-2016, 11:50 AM
I think Shazier is the answer to TE's like Gronk, but he got injured and didnt really come on strong again until the end of the year. His pass protection has gotten better, so maybe next season he can be our answer.

Psycho Ward 86
01-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Gronk just might be the best tight end to ever live. So i agree with the above. You just have to mitigate the damage he does to you as best as possible, but theres no stopping him. Better cornerbacks would be a good start...big ones.

The Legion of Midgets isnt exactly savvy against tight ends

Mojouw
01-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Gronk just might be the best tight end to ever live. So i agree with the above. You just have to mitigate the damage he does to you as best as possible, but theres no stopping him. Better cornerbacks would be a good start...big ones.

Legion of Midgets! I love it!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/7909/099932D5B8644BEBB0AC4C88660E4662.jpg

tube517
01-22-2016, 12:20 PM

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/7909/099932D5B8644BEBB0AC4C88660E4662.jpg

:rofl2:

86WARD
01-22-2016, 01:21 PM

Boykin must be back left corner. That's the face you make when you know you should be playing but you're riding the pine.

teegre
01-22-2016, 02:34 PM
One of us... one of us... gooble, gobble... one of us!!!

plenewken
01-23-2016, 08:04 AM
The Steelers D have been having problems covering TEs for a long time. Remember Wycheck (Titans) and Heap (Ravens)?

Count Steeler
01-23-2016, 10:29 AM
How about a hybrid zone/man scheme? Gronk has a shadow.

katmandu
01-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Nobody is slowing down Gronk. Only way to slow him down is to stop Brady. As for the rest of the TEs in the league, I thought Shazier was supposed to be "that guy".A HA ! I got it !

PUTIN is the answer to stop the Gronk !

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03555/adams-cartoon-puti_3555346b.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K0ROXSQTezQ/VQPZttMIj-I/AAAAAAAAUSc/XiJ8Wa4Z8Xs/s1600/caution-radiation-7241287.jpg

Steelman
01-24-2016, 12:47 AM

Shazier's cover skills just aren't stellar enough to cover big TE's, let alone Gronk. I thought he would be that guy too, but he's definitely more of a sideline-to-sideline guy. I agree with other posters, best way to stop Gronk is hit him with a safety like Mitchell and somehow beat the shit out of Brady before he can throw it to him.

I hate the fact that Gronk is a Pat*. I wish he was on literally any other team...outside of our division though. Imagine having to face him twice a year? Yikes. What a nightmare. If Brady really does play 8 more years or whatever he said, I'd imagine Gronk will pile up some serious HOF numbers.

slashsteel
01-24-2016, 09:40 AM
You need a upgrade at SS to counter.

Perhaps a Polamalu light in Su'a Cravens.

Maybe one player doesn't shut him down, but a upgrade would at least help.

NCSteeler
01-24-2016, 11:29 AM
They've been hunting the SS LBer combo for a few years. Spence doesn't seem to be that guy Shazier maybe one day but his coverage is not that strong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALLD
01-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Shazier is a run stopper. Gronk was catching in double coverage most of the game. He's a big target with soft hands. I don't know how long he can play because he gets hit like a crash barrier against good teams.

steelerdude15
01-24-2016, 07:52 PM
On a side note, I hope that we can turn Jesse into a baby Gronk. Could you imagine if this offense had another weapon like Gronk in Jesse? :dance:

katmandu
01-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Shazier is a run stopper. Ryan needs to bulk up to protect his body better. He's not going to have too long of a career if he doesn't bulk up.

EzraTank
01-25-2016, 08:45 AM
The Bronco's hit him at the line yesterday which slowed him down a lot but unless you pressure any NFL QB guys are going to get open.

As great as Harrison has been we need a FAST edge rusher like Von Miller was yesterday.

Even with all that in place Gronk still had a great game. He's like AB, you're just not going to stop him if the QB has time to find him.