PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost

teegre
01-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Here is my write-up of the Steelers-Broncos divisional game, specifically highlighting all of the things that led to the loss (not just Toussaint's fumble).

Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost
by Tiger Rowan

Let me start with a plea: leave Fitzgerald Toussaint alone. Yes, his fumble swung the momentum from Pittsburgh’s side to Denver’s. Yes, it was a heart-breaking gaff. And, yes, if there is one play that defines this game, it is that play.

But, Toussaint’s fumble is not the only reason that the Steelers lost the divisional playoff game against the Broncos.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/unlucky-number-seven-reasons-that-the-steelers-lost/

Feel free to pass this along to any Steelers fans... who would like salt poured into their wound.

Hawkman
01-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Here is my write-up of the Steelers-Broncos divisional game, specifically highlighting all of the things that led to the loss (not just Toussaint's fumble).

Unlucky Number Seven... Reasons Why the Steelers Lost
by Tiger Rowan

Let me start with a plea: leave Fitzgerald Toussaint alone. Yes, his fumble swung the momentum from Pittsburgh’s side to Denver’s. Yes, it was a heart-breaking gaff. And, yes, if there is one play that defines this game, it is that play.

But, Toussaint’s fumble is not the only reason that the Steelers lost the divisional playoff game against the Broncos.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/unlucky-number-seven-reasons-that-the-steelers-lost/

Feel free to pass this along to any Steelers fans... who would like salt poured into their wound.
Jordan Berry is our punter

teegre
01-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Jordan Berry is our punter

Yea, but only for like the entire season.

( :doh: I'm so embarrassed.)

crcsnail
01-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Nice write up as always . But also our man Heath dropped passes he usually makes and willy gay dropped an interception( I was out of my chair I thought he had it for sure) so to blame frenchy for the loss of any other steeler IMO is wrong( although punter did make me a touch aggressive with my remote ) I am looking forward to next season .i just hope the Pats don't win it .

NJarhead
01-18-2016, 09:12 AM
I question our defensive formation on the Broncos TD. Seemed like we had too many DBs. I know they had three WRs but do we need five or six DBs on the goal line?

Still, proud of that team. It's a shame they couldn't pull it off. They would have been more healthy next week and I think given NE a run for their money.

Born2Steel
01-18-2016, 09:13 AM
My very thoughts, almost exactly. My son and I had this discussion before kickoff: If we can go into Denver and win it without AB, DeAngelo, Bell, and a less than 75% Ben, AND a defense that has just recently started to really gel, then, we should put it all in for a Steelers #7. That would have equaled a team of destiny, IMO. This was the hurdle I wondered was too (mile) high. And, as you say in your piece, almost cleared it easily. Just a few plays decided this one.

teegre
01-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Nice write up as always . But also our man Heath dropped passes he usually makes and willy gay dropped an interception( I was out of my chair I thought he had it for sure) so to blame frenchy for the loss of any other steeler IMO is wrong( although punter did make me a touch aggressive with my remote ) I am looking forward to next season .i just hope the Pats don't win it .

HEATH:
He and Bryant both dropped gimme passes. I declared after each drop: "When your best receiver is out, you HAVE to make those catches."

GAY:
I jinxed it, by texting the rainbow flag to my friends after Gay's stop on third down. I should have aver it for the INT.

TAPES:
Go Broncos!!!... Cards!!!... or, Panthers!!!!!

teegre
01-18-2016, 09:40 AM
I question our defensive formation on the Broncos TD. Seemed like we had too many DBs. I know they had three WRs but do we need five or six DBs on the goal line?

Still, proud of that team. It's a shame they couldn't pull it off. They would have been more healthy next week and I think given NE a run for their money.

Peyton called a no huddle, specifically because he saw who was on the field. The Steelers had no opportunity to switch personnel.

I think that if the Steelers could do that to Denver's staunch defense without AB, they would have lit up the Tapes defense. Alas...

katmandu
01-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Very good read...again Teegre!

Wheaton had a real shiiitty day as well. How many muffs did he have on the kickoff/punt returns ? He sucks at catching kicked balls.

The Steelers really need to find a RELIABLE kick returner !

teegre
01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
My very thoughts, almost exactly. My son and I had this discussion before kickoff: If we can go into Denver and win it without AB, DeAngelo, Bell, and a less than 75% Ben, AND a defense that has just recently started to really gel, then, we should put it all in for a Steelers #7. That would have equaled a team of destiny, IMO. This was the hurdle I wondered was too (mile) high. And, as you say in your piece, almost cleared it easily. Just a few plays decided this one.

I agree completely.

If the Steelers had been able to get past Denver without AB, I was very confident about going into New England.

teegre
01-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Very good read...again Teegre!

Wheaton had a real shiiitty day as well. How many muffs did he have on the kickoff/punt returns ? He sucks at catching kicked balls.

The Steelers really need to find a RELIABLE kick returner !

Thanks, man.

Yea, kickoff returns have been awful for as long as I can remember.

tube517
01-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Good article as usual.

Can't wait til next year

Mojouw
01-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Bryant got a bit too cute on that reverse as well. I know that Ware and others had solid backside contain, but I kinda feel like if he just picked a direction and ran full speed, he might have got the marker. But what do I really know?

I still say Talib interfered on the throw to Bryant in the corner of the endzone. All I'm trying to say is good article as always and these darn games just hang on a slip here, half an inch there, and a step over on that on. etc.

Replaying the game in my head, it seems like the Steelers just came up about 2 plays short over the course of the game. All things considered, I'll take it.

steelreserve
01-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Editor’s Note — Original article revised to correct Jordan Berry as punter, not Brad Wing.

WHAT?! Absolutely terrible. This is worse than when you called out BengalGirl5150 last week. Total garbage - do not read!

zoneblitzerII
01-18-2016, 12:39 PM
The Wheaton dropped TD may have been a pivotal moment. It's the kind of play that really gets a team going. Though I believe they were down by 3 at that time, no? Anyhow, Ben threw a perfect touch pass that any receiver worth his salt catches. It makes me wonder if our receiving corps is as good as we think. Good receivers catch with their hands. They go out and snag balls. Wheaton let that ball hit him in the chest. Not good. Considering ABs absence, the entire receiving corps let Ben down with very makeable catches. You need to step your game up in playoff football and not dial it down a notch. Wheaton should not be on this team next year.

Mojouw
01-18-2016, 12:43 PM
The Wheaton dropped TD may have been a pivotal moment. It's the kind of play that really gets a team going. Though I believe they were down by 3 at that time, no? Anyhow, Ben threw a perfect touch pass that any receiver worth his salt catches. It makes me wonder if our receiving corps is as good as we think. Good receivers catch with their hands. They go out and snag balls. Wheaton let that ball hit him in the chest. Not good. Considering ABs absence, the entire receiving corps let Ben down with very makeable catches. You need to step your game up in playoff football and not dial it down a notch. Wheaton should not be on this team next year.

So now they should cut Wheaton? Please, someone walk me through that one. I realize that Wheaton is only the 3rd or 4th best WR on the roster, but cutting him? Huh?

Craic
01-18-2016, 01:12 PM

:doh: Sometimes, I don't even know where to start.

Count Steeler
01-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Mind boggling.

On the flip side, the Steelers’ offense merely needs to get back all of its injured players: Le’Veon Bell, DeAngelo Williams, Maurkice Pouncey, and Antonio Brown Add to it a hobbled Big Ben.

Injuries, yes they happen to all teams. But look at that list and add in suspensions and starting LT and we not only made the playoffs, but we beat the Bungles in the Jungle.

On a micro level, we could pick apart every play and nit pick on a player or on a coach. On a macro level, 11-7 with the offense gutted and a secondary that is almost the worst in the league.

Damn right I'm looking forward to next year.

Thanks for putting the Touissant fumble in perspective for some of the fans in Steelers Nation. I hope he sticks to be our 3rd stringer. I saw him make a couple nice blocks in pass protection as well. Kid has nothing to hang his head about.

zoneblitzerII
01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
So now they should cut Wheaton? Please, someone walk me through that one. I realize that Wheaton is only the 3rd or 4th best WR on the roster, but cutting him? Huh?

I think they have better depth to supplant him.

teegre
01-18-2016, 05:52 PM
I still say Talib interfered on the throw to Bryant in the corner of the endzone. All I'm trying to say is good article as always and these darn games just hang on a slip here, half an inch there, and a step over on that on. etc.

Talib is a smart CB. It was gonna be a TD; so, Talib was going to break up the pass no matter what. On top of that, he held Bryant's left arm, which was the arm away from the officials... as in: there's a slim chance that a ref will notice it.

Yes, it was DPI.

But, it was also a savvy DPI.

(Thank you for the kind words.)

steelreserve
01-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Talib is a smart CB. It was gonna be a TD; so, Talib was going to break up the pass no matter what. On top of that, he held Bryant's left arm, which was the arm away from the officials... as in: there's a slim chance that a ref will notice it.

Yes, it was DPI.

But, it was also a savvy DPI.

Are we talking about the play where Bryant basically got tackled? The only way Talib could've been more obvious about mugging a receiver was if he'd taken his shoes. There was nothing subtle about it at all. I swear the cameras caught him going through Bryant's wallet on the sideline as they cut to the commercial break.

Just like Sherman in the Seattle game, I think certain teams get the reputation of "omg, best defense!" and the refs let them get away with WAY more grabbing and holding than everyone else, and you don't get interference unless it's almost impossible to ignore. A nice little positive feedback loop they've got going.

teegre
01-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Are we talking about the play where Bryant basically got tackled? The only way Talib could've been more obvious about mugging a receiver was if he'd taken his shoes. There was nothing subtle about it at all. I swear the cameras caught him going through Bryant's wallet on the sideline as they cut to the commercial break.

Just like Sherman in the Seattle game, I think certain teams get the reputation of "omg, best defense!" and the refs let them get away with WAY more grabbing and holding than everyone else, and you don't get interference unless it's almost impossible to ignore. A nice little positive feedback loop they've got going.

You might be right... it was a big discussion at my house. Mom, pop, my brother, my wife all agreed that it was egregious. I stated what I posted above, to their chagrin... and my mom's "Don't eff with me, son" look. :lol:

I'll say this: in the regular season, maybe that DPI flag is thrown... but, not in the playoffs.

Count Steeler
01-18-2016, 09:17 PM
You might be right... it was a big discussion at my house. Mom, pop, my brother, my wife all agreed that it was egregious. I stated what I posted above, to their chagrin... and my mom's "Don't eff with me, son" look. :lol:

I'll say this: in the regular season, maybe that DPI flag is thrown... but, not in the playoffs.

Wasn't there a pretty lame PI called on our defense in the first quarter or so? I can't fully remember the play, but it was a pretty weak PI, setting the bar pretty low. What Talib did should be called even if it was the last play of the SB.

teegre
01-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Wasn't there a pretty lame PI called on our defense in the first quarter or so? I can't fully remember the play, but it was a pretty weak PI, setting the bar pretty low. What Talib did should be called even if it was the last play of the SB.

It was the drive prior.

Gay breathed on a Bronco receiver. DPI. Then, on the ensuing drive, Talib doesn't get the call.

j-d-s
01-18-2016, 10:44 PM
I would suggest we put a bounty on Burfict so he is on IR before he gets to destroy our players again next season. Guy needs a taste of his own medicine.

teegre
01-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Mind boggling.

Add to it a hobbled Big Ben.

Injuries, yes they happen to all teams. But look at that list and add in suspensions and starting LT and we not only made the playoffs, but we beat the Bungles in the Jungle.

On a micro level, we could pick apart every play and nit pick on a player or on a coach. On a macro level, 11-7 with the offense gutted and a secondary that is almost the worst in the league.

Damn right I'm looking forward to next year.

Thanks for putting the Touissant fumble in perspective for some of the fans in Steelers Nation. I hope he sticks to be our 3rd stringer. I saw him make a couple nice blocks in pass protection as well. Kid has nothing to hang his head about.

Exactly. If you take any team, and take away their top three players and their QB, they do not make the playoffs, let alone win a playoff game. The Steelers lost their All Pro center for the entire season, their All Pro running back for all but three games, their QB for four games, and their All Pro receiver for their playoff game. Plus, the Steelers lost their LT (although, they serendipitously found a gem in Villanueva).

So... yep, simply getting them back pretty much takes the offense from very good to championship level. Thus, I am very excited about next season.

fansince'76
01-19-2016, 05:24 AM
Exactly. If you take any team, and take away their top three players and their QB, they do not make the playoffs, let alone win a playoff game.

Oh, you mean like the Pats losing 4 of their last 6 regular season games, since that's the example people who want to grouse about the season ending continually want to point to? Of course, none of their key players' injuries were bad enough to knock them out of commission for the rest of the season and their top 2 players missed a single game between them.

At some point, "next man up" only gets you so far.

86WARD
01-19-2016, 05:45 AM
Oh, you mean like the Pats losing 4 of their last 6 regular season games, since that's the example people who want to grouse about the season ending continually want to point to? Of course, none of their key players' injuries were bad enough to knock them out of commission for the rest of the season and their top 2 players missed a single game between them.

At some point, "next man up" only gets you so far.

The Patriots offensive line was a nightmare for them all season...

Count Steeler
01-19-2016, 05:49 AM

Yeah, and look how the mighty Brady looked when his relief valve Edelman and his savior Gronk didn't play. Give the Pats a season without their top 5 offensive components and they don't make the playoffs. That would also include Brady down for 4 games.

fansince'76
01-19-2016, 06:47 AM

Meh. We once won it all with the worst OL in Super Bowl history. Besides, I thought Brady's cerebral approach to the game (as opposed to caveman Ben) and quick release should be able to overcome all that.

lotas
01-19-2016, 07:40 AM
I completely subscribe to the notion that these guys like Richard Sherman and Aqib Talib get away with mugging because they are considered great at their position. Almost as if the refs are afraid to throw a flag, because it would mean they are questioning the greatness that is Sherman or Talib.

Our secondary is "one of the worst in football" so of course they have to hold and commit PI to guard receivers. Throw the flag on those bums.

Oh, and Peyton Manning is allowed to slide and give himself up and then magically get back up and keep the play going. Refs don't blow the whistle until PEYTON says it's time. :ranger:

fansince'76
01-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Just like Sherman in the Seattle game, I think certain teams get the reputation of "omg, best defense!" and the refs let them get away with WAY more grabbing and holding than everyone else...

:iagree:

https://usatsteelerswire.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/brown-vs-sherman.gif?w=1000

Think guys like Blake, Gay or Cockrell get away with that? Yeah, me neither...

teegre
01-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah, and look how the mighty Brady looked when his relief valve Edelman and his savior Gronk didn't play. Give the Pats a season without their top 5 offensive components and they don't make the playoffs. That would also include Brady down for 4 games.

Exactly. Brady "should" have missed four games, which would have dropped them to the 6th seed (at best), which would have put them on the road in Cincy, where Vontaze Burfict would have separated Brady's shoulder and knocked Gronk out for the divisional round (with a concussion).

As far as their O-line goes:
Replacing Guy Noname, Scrub McGee, and Turnstile Speedbump with Bryan Stork, Shaq Mason, and Marcus Cannon was simply a wash.

"The Tapes have had thirteen different starting O-line configurations."

CORRECTION: The Tapes have had thirteen different configurations of crap.

Saying that the Taperiots lost an O-lineman is analogous to saying that the Steelers lost a player in their secondary. Josh Kline starting over Tré Jackson is akin to Antwaan Blake starting over Ross Cockrell... suck replacing suck.

In other words, losing a very good LT (Beachum) and an All Pro OC (Pouncey) was far more of a burden to overcome than any hurdles that the Tapes might have had to endure. If the Tapes had lost three or four All Pro players, then the comparisons would be equal. The Tapes losing Gronk, Brady, and Edelman would be equivalent to the Steelers losing Bell, BB, AB, and Pouncey.

zulater
01-19-2016, 06:52 PM
On the DHB runs to the safety, I assume you're referring to when he caught the bomb and cuts to the middle of the field instead of going down the sideline? If so yeah that was a monumental gaffe that likely cost him a td. Not knocking the guy, but if he cuts to the left sideline he's got one guy ( who didn't have a great angle) to beat for the score. But cutting to the middle of the field he brought 3 Bronco defenders into the play including his eventual tackler. :doh:We ended up with the fgo n that possession. I think he ran himself out of the td imo.

Overall though DHB was a good player on this team. But the way Coates played this last game he(DHB) may be out of a job next year.
DHB

teegre
01-19-2016, 09:37 PM
On the DHB runs to the safety, I assume you're referring to when he caught the bomb and cuts to the middle of the field instead of going down the sideline? If so yeah that was a monumental gaffe that likely cost him a td. Not knocking the guy, but if he cuts to the left sideline he's got one guy ( who didn't have a great angle) to beat for the score. But cutting to the middle of the field he brought 3 Bronco defenders into the play including his eventual tackler. :doh:We ended up with the fgo n that possession. I think he ran himself out of the td imo.

Overall though DHB was a good player on this team. But the way Coates played this last game he(DHB) may be out of a job next year.
DHB

That's exactly what occurred.

DHB's major asset is his speed. Once he caught the ball, if he ran straight, the FS in the middle of the field wasn't going to catch him. Instead, DHB ran right at the FS. :huh:

I might bring DHB back for leadership and/or for special teams. But, for pass-catching, Coates just leap-frogged DHB on the depth chart.