PDA

View Full Version : Most positive things from the 2015 season

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Thought it would be a good idea to go against my usual sourpuss tendencies after a loss like this and think of some of the good things that happened this season. Admittedly, I thought we were a year away from being serious contenders. I guess that turned out to be true. But a lot of things came out of this year to be optimistic about.

- Picking up Boswell from the junk pile. What a find. This guy could be our kicker for years to come.

- Butler making the best of it with the defense. He actually made adjustments and changed the scheme to fit the strong suits of the players instead of trying to square-peg it all season. Without that change, it would've been 16 games of the sit-back and 8-8 again.

- Villanueva emerging from nowhere into a legitimate starter. He and Boswell might save us $10 million next season that we can use to get that one last missing piece. Also along these lines, Munchak continuing to be an absolute magician with the OL.

- The backup RBs doing well enough to give us a shot to win, whether it was Williams, Frenchy or Todman. Munchak/OL get credit for that too.

- Winning 9 games or more beat the "over" for the season and won me $100.

At one point, I might've put Landry Jones on this list, but seems like he might have been a one-pump dump. We still should be looking for a backup QB.

Above all, despite the ending and all the insane bullshit the team endured, this was an incredibly entertaining season from start to finish. I guess that's what you're looking for as a fan at the end of the day. And I believe we really are one or two guys away from being an utterly dominant team. Now let's go make that happen.

I hope in one week, I can add the Patriots being knocked out/ Tom Brady butthole injury to the list.

salamander
01-17-2016, 07:28 PM
All in all, I can't really complain. Unfortunately, injuries happen.

Edman
01-17-2016, 07:28 PM
We don't have to watch Antwon Blake flail about in coverage and miss tackles anymore.

I can just hope Golson is ready to go next year.

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Golson, Grant, whoever - it will be better than Antwon Washington-Scott. I still think we ought to get one more guy back there, especially if Boykin leaves. If we can actually keep Boykin, I'd be thrilled.

polamalubeast
01-17-2016, 07:31 PM
This team has never give up despite the injury like Ben against the rams,etc.

EzraTank
01-17-2016, 07:39 PM
At this point I'm all in for the Carolina/Cards winner.

If it was possible I'd like both teams to lose the AFC game next week? I hate both teams and both QB's.

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Golson, Grant, whoever - it will be better than Antwon Washington-Scott. I still think we ought to get one more guy back there, especially if Boykin leaves. If we can actually keep Boykin, I'd be thrilled.

I would've liked to have seen Grant get a shot this season so that he'd have that extra experience. I hope that Blake has played his last game as a Steeler.

We'll still need to use a high draft pick on a CB unless if we pick one up in FA. This team doesn't have a #1 CB on the roster.

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 07:47 PM
At this point I'm all in for the Carolina/Cards winner.

If it was possible I'd like both teams to lose the AFC game next week? I hate both teams and both QB's.

Maybe Brady will be driving drunk, and get in a head-on collision with Peyton Manning, who was also drunk, and had Hillary Clinton tied up in the trunk for good measure.

EzraTank
01-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Maybe Brady will be driving drunk, and get in a head-on collision with Peyton Manning, who was also drunk, and had Hillary Clinton tied up in the trunk for good measure.

You forgot then I find the other winning powerball ticket!

Hawkman
01-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Most POSITIVE thing: I think we have found a long term kicker.....sorry Shaun, you served us well.

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 07:58 PM
I would've liked to have seen Grant get a shot this season so that he'd have that extra experience. I hope that Blake has played his last game as a Steeler.

We'll still need to use a high draft pick on a CB unless if we pick one up in FA. This team doesn't have a #1 CB on the roster.

My thoughts exactly on Grant. Couldn't have turned out worse than Blake. I forgot to add Robert Golden to the list of positives - he really takes some of the pressure off us to find safety help. Golden combined with Mitchell's improvement means we're just looking for one or two more acceptable safeties, not two starters.

If we don't go DT-CB in some combination 1-2 this draft, I'll be pissed. Although we might be able to address one of them in free agency, most likely finding a real nose tackle. Then add one decent DE for depth and we're looking sharp. THEN we can worry about finding the great pass rusher of the future - although with a real NT, most likely we'll find that pass rusher is already on the roster.

By the way, one other positive I almost overlooked is that Jarvis Jones finally seemed to "get it" toward the end of the season, maybe not enough to be a star, but at least a rotation player if we keep him around. Maybe there is hope for the guy after all.

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 08:12 PM
You forgot then I find the other winning powerball ticket!

Forget that, I'm finding the ticket, then buying the Patriots and running the franchise into the ground, no winning seasons in 25 years. Then demand a new stadium and sell the team for a billion-dollar profit. Unless your plan's better than that, I'm keeping that shit for myself!

Rotorhead
01-17-2016, 08:15 PM
We were a SB contender this year actually, barring Burfict's cheap shots, we have a healthy QB and WR, and we win that game. If we can get a #1 CB for next season we will make another run to the SB (barring major injuries that is). I am happy our def got some good experience this season and came together to become a very good unit. We will return almost everyone next season. I think we will have a great team next season.

tube517
01-17-2016, 08:19 PM
This will be a dangerous team next year. The offense is downright scary if all are healthy.

Just a few players on defense to make it special.

Fire Tomlin!!!!! :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2016, 08:21 PM
My thoughts exactly on Grant. Couldn't have turned out worse than Blake. I forgot to add Robert Golden to the list of positives - he really takes some of the pressure off us to find safety help. Golden combined with Mitchell's improvement means we're just looking for one or two more acceptable safeties, not two starters.

If we don't go DT-CB in some combination 1-2 this draft, I'll be pissed. Although we might be able to address one of them in free agency, most likely finding a real nose tackle. Then add one decent DE for depth and we're looking sharp. THEN we can worry about finding the great pass rusher of the future - although with a real NT, most likely we'll find that pass rusher is already on the roster.

By the way, one other positive I almost overlooked is that Jarvis Jones finally seemed to "get it" toward the end of the season, maybe not enough to be a star, but at least a rotation player if we keep him around. Maybe there is hope for the guy after all.

Yea, the need for a true NT has definitely shown this season. McClendon's not the answer there and we saw very little of McCullers. It still kind of pisses me off that we didn't even make a play for Knighton last offseason.

Jones did seem to play a little better the last few games. I'm not quite as ready to ship him out as I was. Maybe another year with Deebo will continue to help him improve.

86WARD
01-17-2016, 08:28 PM
• First and foremost, the defense was one of the biggest positives for me. Before the season started, they were potentially one of the worst defenses we were about to see. Still need to address some areas on that unit...OLB, CB, S...need starters and depth and I really hope they buck their usual and go get something in free agency...some one that can contribute immediately.

• DeAngelo Williams. Loved the signing when it happened. Didn't think he'd be that good...but he was solid!!

• Villanueva.

• The Boz.

• Team went further then I thought they were despite all the injuries. Tomlin made some questionable calls throughout the season, but overall, I feel like he should be in the conversation for Coach of the Year. He also made some really good decisions and had this team close to the AFC Championship game. Overall, I think he did a good job.

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Yea, the need for a true NT has definitely shown this season. McClendon's not the answer there and we saw very little of McCullers. It still kind of pisses me off that we didn't even make a play for Knighton last offseason.

Well, we get another chance this offseason if we want. He only signed for 1 year and $4 million. A pickup like that, whether it's Knighton or someone else, would go a long way.

Mojouw
01-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Well, we get another chance this offseason if we want. He only signed for 1 year and $4 million. A pickup like that, whether it's Knighton or someone else, would go a long way.

Knighton has ZERO interest in playing for anyone besides the Redskins. He took less money and no other free agent visits so that he could play on the same team as his best friend since CHILDHOOD. They vowed they would play on the same team no matter what if they both made it to the NFL. There will be no Knighton in the 'Burgh.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5320/terrance-knighton

steelerdude15
01-17-2016, 09:12 PM
I think what is neat is that we have had two straight 10+ winning seasons, two straight playoff appearances, and got our first playoff victory since the 2010 postseason.

Keith Butler simplified the defense which helped out big time. We had more sacks and turnovers than the past couple of years, had the 5th ranked run defense, and the 11th ranked scoring defense.

Chris was a great find for kicker. I say let him and Shawn battle it out in training camp next summer.

BigNastyDefense
01-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Honestly, I think Tomlin had his best season as a coach. There was a lot of adversity. Bell suspended the first two games, then lost for the season shortly after. Losing Ben for 4 games. Was Tomlin perfect? No. But how many other teams lose their starter for 4 games (with Vick/Landry as backups) and goes 2-2 in that time?

I think this defense is only going to get better. Butler actually makes adjustments (unlike LeBeau his last few years), if we can fix the secondary (we need at least a S who's a starter if we can keep Boykin), this defense can be damn good.

Injury bug leaves us alone next year, the Steelers could be the #1 seed next year.

st33lersguy
01-17-2016, 09:36 PM
I think getting that first playoff win since '10 was the highlight. This team had a lot of injuries, they did an amazing job to get as far as they did

Shoes
01-17-2016, 09:42 PM
The O & D line has improved and the younger guys received some good playing/ life experience in wins and losses. They should be scary next year. Even more so if they draft DT Kenny Clark. :chuckle:

The LB'ers improved, Shazier mostly, he played well and stayed healthy after an early season hick-up. Dupree will be ok, Jones is slow coming but has improved some. Look for the the Steelers to draft an OLB/DE

The secondary needs help, but did tighten it up in late season.

Big Al, Boz, Fitz and Todman were more than most though and they will save the Steelers money & draft picks.

Ben played very well considering how many injuries he had this season.

The WR's played well and only expect them to be better next season.

ST needs work and perhaps a new coach.

The other coaches did pretty good, but they have to improve just like the players.

We still have good players on IR & PS

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2016, 09:45 PM
1) Marcus Gilbert has proven to be worth far more than his contract. And here we were all hoping he would be at least worth what he's getting paid. Dude is a legit premier RT.

2) Villanueva has sky high potential. Not so great at times but he's still learning the position from the best O-line coach in the league. Also will make Beachum's contract negotiations more in our favor (if that happens)

3) When the hell is that last time we had a great O-line? It feels good! Hell, when's the last time we had 3 good tackles on the team??

4) Between Bell, Williams, Todman, and Frenchy, we have an All-pro, a guy who could have made the pro bowl this season, and 2 damn good back up all-purpose backs. I wanted us to use a middle round draft pick to back up Bell, but thats no longer looking necessary.

5) Williams is the best FA acquisition bargain in the league. Pro bowl play at $2 million a year. Great job FO, i had my doubts about him. To think, i wanted Shane Vereen or Roy Helu :lol:

6) Butler did a good job for the pieces he was working with. 3rd in sacks, 3rd in turnovers, 11th in scoring defense, 6th in run defense. Things are looking up

7) We still have a "good problem" at ILB, with 4 starting caliber players. Timmons started slow as usual but looked like his usual self after a while. Shazier is looking primed for an All-pro caliber season next time around

8) Heyward and Tuitt are the top contender to be the best DE duo in the league, 3-4 or 4-3. Hell, that entire line is a contender for best in the league next season.

9) Cockrell had his ups and downs, but by all metrics, he didnt so so bad. PFF (take from it what you will) rated him quite handsomely. There's something to that kid, this year was essentially his rookie season and he will be a solid CB from the looks of it.

10) Blake sucked to historic levels so there's no way we go the usual "let's wait until the 5th round for a DB" routine

11) AB, Bryant, and Wheaton have all made strides as receivers. That latter 2 was expected, but AB?? Seriously, not enough superlatives about him. Coates showed today against the #1 pass defense that he can play in this league. 2 huge catches. the arrow is pointing up for him, and it looks like he will make losing DHB a non-factor, as well as losing Wheaton (which is likely imo).

12) Dupree hit the rookie wall after a while, but by all indications, looks like a beast in the making. Run defense improved greatly over the course of the season

13) Even Jarvis Jones made great plays in these past 2 playoff games. See ya later JJ, but thanks for your contributions towards the end.

14) Boswell. Average/Slightly above average leg, but the dude can drill it accurately and boy does he have ice in his veins. That play earlier where we opted not to attempt a 54 yard field goal, i think is one we should have tried because of this guy

SteelMayhem72
01-18-2016, 08:21 AM
best post!![emoji106]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

katmandu
01-18-2016, 09:01 AM
This will be a dangerous team next year. The offense is downright scary if all are healthy.

Just a few players on defense to make it special.

The future certainly looks very bright for this group of players! Hope we can keep the core group intact for awhile.

katmandu
01-18-2016, 09:20 AM
• First and foremost, the defense was one of the biggest positives for me. Before the season started, they were potentially one of the worst defenses we were about to see.

Still need to address some areas on that unit...OLB, CB, S...need starters and depth and I really hope they buck their usual and go get something in free agency...some one that can contribute immediately. Turned out much better than their #30 (against the Pass) rating!

Lots of Positives to build upon!

I can't wait for next season!

katmandu
01-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Maybe Brady will be driving drunk, and get in a head-on collision with Peyton Manning, who was also drunk, and Donald Trump was in the middle of the crash !I don't care who you are that's funny shiit right there ! Good stuff steelreserve! LMAO !

steelreserve
01-18-2016, 11:33 AM
8) Heyward and Tuitt are the top contender to be the best DE duo in the league, 3-4 or 4-3. Hell, that entire line is a contender for best in the league next season.

9) Cockrell had his ups and downs, but by all metrics, he didnt so so bad. PFF (take from it what you will) rated him quite handsomely. There's something to that kid, this year was essentially his rookie season and he will be a solid CB from the looks of it.

11) AB, Bryant, and Wheaton have all made strides as receivers. That latter 2 was expected, but AB?? Seriously, not enough superlatives about him. Coates showed today against the #1 pass defense that he can play in this league. 2 huge catches. the arrow is pointing up for him, and it looks like he will make losing DHB a non-factor, as well as losing Wheaton (which is likely imo).

13) Even Jarvis Jones made great plays in these past 2 playoff games. See ya later JJ, but thanks for your contributions towards the end.

14) Boswell. Average/Slightly above average leg, but the dude can drill it accurately and boy does he have ice in his veins. That play earlier where we opted not to attempt a 54 yard field goal, i think is one we should have tried because of this guy

I think Heyward/Tuitt are among the best in the league, but the third guy on the line and the guys behind them ... not so much. It's a bit scary to think what would happen if one of those two suffered a long-term injury. That's why I think that aside from cornerback, DT needs to be our biggest priority (maybe even #1) and a backup DE is third.

I'm all in favor of keeping Cock. He wasn't exactly all-world, but didn't look totally lost either. I want a better starter than that, but he has potential and could be a good depth player, especially if we lose Gay.

Jones is going to be here next year no matter what; his contract is fully guaranteed, so we don't save a dime by cutting him. Wheaton will be here one more year, but has pretty much shown what he is, which is a third receiver who has trouble producing when the defense is focused on him. You're right, I doubt we sign him to another contract with Coates waiting behind him. DHB ... he just may be back if the price is right, since he's a special teams ace too.

I am totally in favor of keeping Boswell, but I discovered something that sucks: Cutting Suisham would save us next to nothing in cap space, since we apparently have almost all of his signing bonus still on the books: http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/11/11/steelers-salary-cap-2016-free-agents-update-status-projections/

So no matter what, the kicker position is going to take up $3M+ for another year, and then Boswell is up for a new contract which would undoubtedly be higher than this one. So we won't save any cap space on the kicking game at all. I hope we don't let go of Boswell; that would be a huge mistake.

I don't care who you are that's funny shiit right there ! Good stuff steelreserve! LMAO !

Hey, I'm sticking with Hillary in the car crash over Trump. My money is on the Purple Penis this year.

http://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/giphy2.gif